User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

in this wet dream actually the nvds make the most sense.

stealth mode as a single individual would be the best way to "bug out"/ move/not get attention.

If you need a rifle as a individual-you f*cked up.
View Quote
I would say the soft armor is the only thing that makes sense here, as in the immediate aftermath of some disaster that reduces him to walking home on foot, getting shot is more likely then on a normal wednesday. But it's not so likely that you would get away with walking around with a carbine - if anything, openly displaying a rifle in the initial SHTF greatly increases your chances of being shot at.

The actual act of getting home is a one day affair. 1/2 the day is during the day. The 2nd 1/2 of the day is the "night," but night in an urban area is not likely to be NOD's night. If the power is on, there are street lights and automotive lights.

Even with the power off, the road will be clogged with cars using their headlights:

As well as everyone with a modern phone using it as a flashlight:

None of these situations require / would benefit from NODS.

A IIIA vest under a windbreaker, a concealed pistol, a small backpack, and a bright flashlight is a much more practical setup.

Especially since in a blackout, you can pwn anyone who approaches you with a 200+ lumen beam in their eyes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  Especially since in a blackout, you can pwn anyone who approaches you with a 200+ lumen beam in their eyes.
View Quote
Unless they were clever enough to take down their AR and put it in a packpack along w/ their NODs.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I say if the OP can afford it and can secure the weapons and can, nothing is overkill.
What if the OP is not at work and across town or out of town and the SHTF. I say a good shotgun or rifle would be cheap insurance for getting home safe.
Let a SHTF situation happen where as the banks collapse or the food chain is reported in trouble and the masses will steal,Kill, and pillage.
A little fire power would go along way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Where will you store the rifle in your vehicle? Do you have a safe in the trunk? Why do you need it? Seriously? You don't live in a third world country where pirates may attack you on a lonely road. Despite all the stories you hear on TV, life is quite safe in this country.
IMHO, the rifle will be more of liability than a useful item. What if it gets stolen from your car? What if your coworker sees it in your vehicle and reports this to a supervisor. Some people are like that and most companies don't allow firearms on company property, including parking lots.
What if you get pulled over and a cop asks you if you have firearms in your car? "O yes sir, a have a CCW and a rifle in the trunk, just in case. Some cops may not like it. Who knows.
Honestly, if you live that close to your home, a bicycle will be a lot more useful in an emergency than a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Where will you store the rifle in your vehicle? Do you have a safe in the trunk? Why do you need it? Seriously? You don't live in a third world country where pirates may attack you on a lonely road. Despite all the stories you hear on TV, life is quite safe in this country.
IMHO, the rifle will be more of liability than a useful item. What if it gets stolen from your car? What if your coworker sees it in your vehicle and reports this to a supervisor. Some people are like that and most companies don't allow firearms on company property, including parking lots.
What if you get pulled over and a cop asks you if you have firearms in your car? "O yes sir, a have a CCW and a rifle in the trunk, just in case. Some cops may not like it. Who knows.
Honestly, if you live that close to your home, a bicycle will be a lot more useful in an emergency than a rifle.
View Quote
What ifism.  

You know of a vehicle gun safe that's less expensive than a $400 AR?  If it gets stolen from your car, you report it, and make an insurance claim.

What if you don't open your trunk in front of nosy co-workers?  Or you show it off to co-workers and give them their own $30 AR receiver so they too can have ARs in their trunks.

It gets confusing when I get pulled over and I have to tell the cop where the guns are in the car.  I finish my litany and tell them I might have missed a few.  Texas cops are kinda used to it.  He probably has a rifle in his trunk, too, so he knows why you have one in yours.  I just try to drive the speed limit, b/c gas is frickin expensive from when I used to get tickets all the time, and that way I don't get pulled over very often.

OP should also get a fold-up bicycle (more expensive than an AR) or a bike rack, or just start biking to work - in which case he needs a Marlin Bicycle Gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a rifle in my truck and it's part of my GHB, but primary purpose is as a hog gun.  If I didn't have a lease on the way home from work, I'd probably still have it in the truck.  It's broken down and stuffed under the back seat.  My GHB is actually more of a 72 hour pack though.  I work 50 miles from home and go through varied terrain from virtually nothing around for miles to concrete jungle.  It'd take me easily 2-3 days to get back home on foot, which is the purpose of my GHB, regardless of circumstance.

Overkill?  Perhaps. I figure I can always ditch stuff if I don't need it or not even take it with me.  Better to have and not need. I have the space and the cost is negligible to me for the 0.01% I might need to use it to get home for some reason.  I'll certainly use the change of clothes, water and food more often than a rifle.

99.99% of the time I can just whip out the cell phone and call for help if I need it and not even need to bother with a GHB.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's fine if you can actually carry the weight.  If you are not in the shape to move quickly with it then add some extra ammo for your CCW or get a a shell whit a pistol brace to pop it into for better optics and stability.
https://www.themakogroup.com/fab/kpos-pistol-to-rifle-conversion-kits/kpos-2nd-gen-pathfinder-kit-frbs-and-vts-included.html

Armor, no.  You need speed with a GHB.

NOD's are life saving gear. If you don't see them that way you are not thinking clearly.  Maybe get some cheaper Gen 2's though...  Suck to loose the gen 3's.  I got both of the Gen 2's that I have for under $1k locally.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're that close to home get a folding bicycle and get home 3X faster than walking.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
My regular get home route is 20 miles in DFW.  Luckily it's from beltline in Dallas to McKinney.  I have a my ccw, extra mags, an more, water, and a pair of running shoes.  Not sure I would want to plan on packing a carbine, ammo load out, and armor, but I do have that in a backpack, so I can take it every day if so desired.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to evacuate the family last night because the rottweiler got sprayed by a skunk and brought the crap in the house. Thought it was a gas leak at first since it filled the entire house within about a minute's time, called the FD and got the family out of there pronto. Today the whole house smells like skunk and the recovery begins.

None of my firearms were of the least bit of use in this situation.

Just a reminder that firearms are not terribly useful pieces of kit in 99.99% of the situations that we typically face, and you may want to pack accordingly. And for the record with my GH kit/scenario, CCW suffices just fine, I think. I can think of no remotely realistic scenarios where you would want to openly carry a long gun, since they would almost certainly draw attention from all sorts of people that you're better off not drawing the attention of (cops, military, gangbangers looking for free shit and tickled pink that you brought them a free rifle).
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
No need to oc a rifle unless it's a political protest.  Plenty of ways to CC a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Serious question.

How many people here, who don't live rural, have ever had to use a trunk rifle/shotgun?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I've pulled the car shotgun out a couple of times before we could carry pistols in the car.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Serious question.

How many people here, who don't live rural, have ever had to use a trunk rifle/shotgun?
View Quote
Zero is my guess.

I'd also guess that about 10 of the dudes on this whole site have actually used a CC piece, but that doesn't diminish their value.

ARs are dirt cheap, so you should have one everywhere you want one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Serious question.

View Quote
I'll admit, a long gun is a niche item for very specific emergencies and on the low end of "necessity"; however, it provides a lot of mental comfort much like a spare tire.  I still prefer the pseudo-SBR pistols as they are far more easier to discreetly carry if I do have to vacate my vehicle outside of a SHTF situation (like an accident or breakdown); but most would agree here that we all train, and carry or keep firearms as close as legally possible as often as possible and hope we never have to use them.  Yes, we have a lot of doomsayer scenarios, apocalyptic/zombie movies, etc. that stir up discussions about needing a long gun...fortunately we live in a society that (at this point) doesn't really make the requirement high on most people's priority lists; however, we still have that option to exercise.  So, for those that feel the need whether based in reality or not, I don't need to debate "their" need as opposed to mine, but can enjoy the technical discussions on how, methodology, contingencies, etc.  

While I think it's pretty futile to judge another's requirements or needs, there is a lot of value in discussing the how, the methodology, thought-processes, advantages/disadvantages, and contingencies.  There is a balance to "what-if" circumstances and scenarios; the important aspect is to get passed the judgements and get to the technical aspects.  You're right, likely no one here (especially in an urban environment) will likely ever need to pull their long gun out of their vehicle out of kinetic necessity, but many still have and want to exercise that option, so either join that discussion focused on the technical aspects or don't.  People have had to pull long guns in past crisis (LA riots, Katrina...), so the need isn't just hypothetical, it's just very rare. Less rare than changing a spare tire, but similar in need; much like "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, it's not a serious question, it's a stupid question.  We can debate the merits on how best to secure and discreetly carry a long gun if needed, but to ask if anybody has used their long gun is moronic.  How many here have had to use their CCW?  My guess would be a tiny fraction, and for those that have never had to draw their CCW, is the assumption then, that they just don't need to carry one?  Ridiculous, and yes, stupid.  

I'll admit, a long gun is a niche item for very specific emergencies and on the low end of "necessity"; however, it provides a lot of mental comfort much like a spare tire.  I still prefer the pseudo-SBR pistols as they are far more easier to discreetly carry if I do have to vacate my vehicle outside of a SHTF situation (like an accident or breakdown); but most would agree here that we all train, and carry or keep firearms as close as legally possible as often as possible and hope we never have to use them.  Yes, we have a lot of doomsayer scenarios, apocalyptic/zombie movies, etc. that stir up discussions about needing a long gun...fortunately we live in a society that (at this point) doesn't really make the requirement high on most people's priority lists; however, we still have that option to exercise.  So, for those that feel the need whether based in reality or not, I don't need to debate "their" need as opposed to mine, but can enjoy the technical discussions on how, methodology, contingencies, etc.  

While I think it's pretty futile to judge another's requirements or needs, there is a lot of value in discussing the how, the methodology, thought-processes, advantages/disadvantages, and contingencies.  There is a balance to "what-if" circumstances and scenarios; the important aspect is to get passed the judgements and get to the technical aspects.  You're right, likely no one here (especially in an urban environment) will likely ever need to pull their long gun out of their vehicle out of kinetic necessity, but many still have and want to exercise that option, so either join that discussion focused on the technical aspects or don't.  People have had to pull long guns in past crisis (LA riots, Katrina...), so the need isn't just hypothetical, it's just very rare. Less rare than changing a spare tire, but similar in need; much like "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

No, it's not a serious question, it's a stupid question.  We can debate the merits on how best to secure and discreetly carry a long gun if needed, but to ask if anybody has used their long gun is moronic.  How many here have had to use their CCW?  My guess would be a tiny fraction, and for those that have never had to draw their CCW, is the assumption then, that they just don't need to carry one?  Ridiculous, and yes, stupid.  

ROCK6
Well, screw you too.  At what point in this thread have I "judged another's requirements or needs"?  I enjoy debating "technical discussions on how, methodology, contingencies, etc." as much as anyone.  Thus my question.  Perhaps it is worthwhile seeing real world cases of people needing to use a trunk gun, just as much as it is valuable seeing the real world cases of people having to use their CCW.

ETA:  OP, I apologize.  I am not attempting to derail your thread; I thought the question was valid to support your question.  Apparently others do not believe so.  I will leave it at that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, screw you too.  At what point in this thread have I "judged another's requirements or needs"?  I enjoy debating "technical discussions on how, methodology, contingencies, etc." as much as anyone.  Thus my question.  Perhaps it is worthwhile seeing real world cases of people needing to use a trunk gun, just as much as it is valuable seeing the real world cases of people having to use their CCW.

ETA:  OP, I apologize.  I am not attempting to derail your thread; I thought the question was valid to support your question.  Apparently others do not believe so.  I will leave it at that.
View Quote
I retract my verbiage; it wasn't appropriate and I apologize.  As I said there is some validity to discuss the "requirements", but I know many (not you, darkpaladin) determine requirements unique to often narrow-minded situations.  My point was lost on my opening attack which was a poor choice, it's just so easy to judge another's choice or decisions based on our own experiences be they broad, narrow, or unique to our own situation. Your questioning comment just looked like you were judging the decision for those who do keep a long gun in their vehicle based on actual usage.  We need to get passed that, specific debate is fine, but at some point the discussion needs to get beyond those judgements to get at the meat of the topic or question.  The OP asked if his choice would be overkill; there are so many variables that mark it as overkill, but I don't think the discounts the viability of the option to exercise that choice.  Advantages and disadvantages often help inform those decisions as well as crime rates, local laws, etc.  Everybody's situation is going to be different and to say that your particular city has never had a riot, major crisis, or a high violent-crime rate, doesn't necessarily mean the decision to have a rifle accessible is unnecessary or must have specific requirement to determine the need.  I can assess all the tangible variables, but I can't assess the mental comfort of the OP.   If the need for a rifle is practically zero or an extremely low probability, then it becomes a personal choice to satisfy some comfort need or just simply the option to exercise that right.  

I do think that most here would agree, it would require a pretty significant event causing one to choose their long gun over their handgun in any environment, but having it available may outweigh the disadvantages of having it.  Another consideration we haven't had much in the past are the lone-wolf(wolves) attacks where the shooter(s) is using a long gun and randomly shooting people at distance.  While a handgun is likely your only option if you're not in your vehicle, is having a rifle a viable alternative if you can get to it?  I don't discount others' choices to have a rifle, my personal concerns are just keeping a long gun concealed because you are more likely to vacate your vehicle in condition less hostile (such as an accident or disable vehicle); it may be hard to catch a taxi or uber if you're carrying your AR.  A good discussion on how to conceal it if you do need to vacate your vehicle or on securing options if you do plan to leave it full time are reasonable considerations.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I retract my verbiage; it wasn't appropriate and I apologize.  As I said there is some validity to discuss the "requirements", but I know many (not you, darkpaladin) determine requirements unique to often narrow-minded situations.  My point was lost on my opening attack which was a poor choice, it's just so easy to judge another's choice or decisions based on our own experiences be they broad, narrow, or unique to our own situation. Your questioning comment just looked like you were judging the decision for those who do keep a long gun in their vehicle based on actual usage.  We need to get passed that, specific debate is fine, but at some point the discussion needs to get beyond those judgements to get at the meat of the topic or question.  The OP asked if his choice would be overkill; there are so many variables that mark it as overkill, but I don't think the discounts the viability of the option to exercise that choice.  Advantages and disadvantages often help inform those decisions as well as crime rates, local laws, etc.  Everybody's situation is going to be different and to say that your particular city has never had a riot, major crisis, or a high violent-crime rate, doesn't necessarily mean the decision to have a rifle accessible is unnecessary or must have specific requirement to determine the need.  I can assess all the tangible variables, but I can't assess the mental comfort of the OP.   If the need for a rifle is practically zero or an extremely low probability, then it becomes a personal choice to satisfy some comfort need or just simply the option to exercise that right.  

I do think that most here would agree, it would require a pretty significant event causing one to choose their long gun over their handgun in any environment, but having it available may outweigh the disadvantages of having it.  Another consideration we haven't had much in the past are the lone-wolf(wolves) attacks where the shooter(s) is using a long gun and randomly shooting people at distance.  While a handgun is likely your only option if you're not in your vehicle, is having a rifle a viable alternative if you can get to it?  I don't discount others' choices to have a rifle, my personal concerns are just keeping a long gun concealed because you are more likely to vacate your vehicle in condition less hostile (such as an accident or disable vehicle); it may be hard to catch a taxi or uber if you're carrying your AR.  A good discussion on how to conceal it if you do need to vacate your vehicle or on securing options if you do plan to leave it full time are reasonable considerations.

ROCK6
View Quote
Putting all other previous issues aside, I do agree with the majority of your points.  Everyones situation is different.  I feel fairly safe in the city I live in, and thus am happy with just my CCW.  My father for example feels safe with his CCW was well, but has a trunk gun as he lives in a more rural area and has use for a longarm other than just for defense against the two legged variety of vermin.  Another buddy of mine has an AR in the back of his truck despite living in what is generally considered a safe city.  If I lived in a city such as Detroit, my opinion on my situation quite possibly would change.  Some may also have jobs or tasks that make them a more valuable or vulnerable target.  

In the end my opinion (and really nobody else's but maybe local/state law and your family) doesn't really matter to your question OP.  Nobody else's situation is exactly like yours.  All that matters is, do you feel that you need to have a trunk gun?  We can offer advise, but that is worth what you paid for it.

As for my original question, perhaps it was worded in a way that may sound judgmental (and if it was taken that way I apologize).  However it still stands as an honest question and I would really like to hear from those who have had to use a "trunk gun" (for whatever purpose); especially if those individuals live in an urban/suburban setting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's the reason I like a trunk shotgun or rifle.
My friend like everyone else here likes guns and he collects them and has them handy for things that go bump in the night.
He has a burglar alarm system however lightning had taken it out a few nights before and he had to wait for the alarm company to come out to fix it.
He came home for lunch one afternoon and found two burgers in his house. All my friend had was a small 380 CCW and the crooks had his bedside shotgun and doorside kitchen shotgun. All his other guns are locked up in a safe.
He had them inside and called 911 only to be put on hold. He wasn't letting them leave the house at any cost or at least he thought that until they came out with two guns pointed his way and my friend stayed behind his car for cover and he wished he had some type of trunk gun at that time. The crooks got away and no shots were fired, however the crooks could of over took him easy with the firepower they had.
The crooks got some jewelry,cash, and guns.
But the worst part my friend says you have no idea how helpless you feel when you come up on a situation like this and your own guns are being used against you. He said had he had an ar15 it would have been different and he would of held the crooks at bay or defended his self had they tried to shoot it out.
True things worked out good but it could of been different.
So now I carry a trunk AR along with all my friends.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My ex wife made fun of me when I threw my 870 in the back seat of my Xterra when the derecho hit here several years ago when we went out to hunt supplies.  She apologized when we saw two guys fist fighting over the last gallon of milk at a stop and rob.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My reply is going to make it much worse:

I live in a wealthy area with low crime and work 8 minutes from my house
View Quote

I am in the same situation except that I am in a lower income but still low crime area.

That being said, my GHB is not really for getting home from work. It is for when I am an hour away doing something ELSE, and then the SHTF. I almost always have my carry pistol with me. If I am going hours away, I will throw an AR15 pistol in the trunk.

So, if you think of the GHB as more than just a  "get home from work" bag, then it is not a bad idea to have some extra firepower...

I mean, you do go to other places besides work, correct?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want to put a 9.5" KAC 300BO pistol that I have in my bag.  Would carry about 60rds of supers and 60 rounds of subs.  Also would include Surefire can.  Is this overkill?

Also potential items that may be overkill:

PVS 14
Soft armor.

What do you guys think.
View Quote

depends.  if your driving 3000 miles.... then maybe that's a reasonable amount of gear if you end up walking during SHTF...    traveling your 8 miles?  that's ridiculous / way overkill.   but if it makes you warm and fuzzy, then have at it !
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some may also have jobs or tasks that make them a more valuable or vulnerable target.  
View Quote
That's been my excuse, but in reality, a CCW is a far better option when driving to and from work (or stopping to get gas or hit the grocery store).  It's at least immediately accessible and even the reported threats could be handled by situational awareness and avoidance at best, or a handgun at worse (abduction threats).  Again, I think for most who aren't LE, are doing it more for practice than necessity.  From all my research, most major events didn't immediately turn into a potentially violent situation.  Most weather events either give plenty of warning or for freak incidents (earthquakes, tornados), there was enough shock to communities for about the first 24-48 hours before reports of criminal activity picked up.  Even riots are often ramped up and advertised before they get out of hand.  

I go back to the biggest challenge (for me) to keep a long gun in my truck is if I have an accident or breakdown which would require me to remove my firearm.  I would want to make sure it's packed (or compact) in a discreet bag or case so I can carry it around without drawing any attention.  I still find value in the academic practice even your situation really doesn't require the need.  My though process has always been a long gun is a good idea when traveling out of town. In/around town (50 mile radius to home), a CCW would suffice for most immediate needs; however, I like the option of having that small carbine or pseudo-SBR pistol.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's been my excuse, but in reality, a CCW is a far better option when driving to and from work (or stopping to get gas or hit the grocery store).  It's at least immediately accessible and even the reported threats could be handled by situational awareness and avoidance at best, or a handgun at worse (abduction threats).  Again, I think for most who aren't LE, are doing it more for practice than necessity.  From all my research, most major events didn't immediately turn into a potentially violent situation.  Most weather events either give plenty of warning or for freak incidents (earthquakes, tornados), there was enough shock to communities for about the first 24-48 hours before reports of criminal activity picked up.  Even riots are often ramped up and advertised before they get out of hand.  

I go back to the biggest challenge (for me) to keep a long gun in my truck is if I have an accident or breakdown which would require me to remove my firearm.  I would want to make sure it's packed (or compact) in a discreet bag or case so I can carry it around without drawing any attention.  I still find value in the academic practice even your situation really doesn't require the need.  My though process has always been a long gun is a good idea when traveling out of town. In/around town (50 mile radius to home), a CCW would suffice for most immediate needs; however, I like the option of having that small carbine or pseudo-SBR pistol.

ROCK6
View Quote
Very good points here.

If you do keep it in the trunk, it's going to be hard to get to and get it into the fight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Very good points here.

If you do keep it in the trunk, it's going to be hard to get to and get it into the fight.

View Quote
I am not going to stay in my vehicle if its stuck and someone is attacking me, so the option in to run front or back.  That's a 50% chance I'm headed toward the trunk already, but often more likely that danger is in front of me.  To your point though, very time consuming and slow to get to it, very small chance that you'll get to it fast enough.

I use a bullpup inside my get home bag (X4 Low Drag).  My total bag weight is fairly low, even with the rifle.  I find it doubtful that I will ever run to my long gun to fight from the truck, more likely I'm going to have a need for it on that very long walk home, in the dark, through some nastier areas.  Worse comes to worse, its a cheaper gun, I'll ditch it if its too much weight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
ITT we learn who has backpacked and who hasn't. The weight of the rifle and armor (20 pounds?) is just going to slow you down and increase your chance of foot/leg injury.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ITT we learn who has backpacked and who hasn't. The weight of the rifle and armor (20 pounds?) is just going to slow you down and increase your chance of foot/leg injury.
View Quote
When did armor get drug into this?

Humping a rifle isn't going to break you because weight. If an AR is the difference between you hurting yourself and not, then you're pretty well fucked.

Also, backpacking<>hiking<>rucking are all different and experience in one doesn't always translate to the others.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you're that close to home get a folding bicycle and get home 3X faster than walking.
View Quote
I really like this idea.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I really appreciate everyone's replies, and have decided on the following:

Normal get home bag that stays in the car for day to day will have just the normal stuff, and some extra g19 mags.

I have packed a larger bag for longer trips or trips into bad areas.  That bag will have the PVS-14 (or a cheaper gen2 if I can get it), and the rifle.  The rifle is a 300 BO KAC pistol that weighs less than 5 lbs so the weight is no issue.  I will get some light weight concealable 3A armor as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Humping a rifle isn't going to break you because weight. If an AR is the difference between you hurting yourself and not, then you're pretty well fucked.

Also, backpacking<>hiking<>rucking are all different and experience in one doesn't always translate to the others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armor was mentioned in the OP...

An additional 20 pounds over a 20+ mile distance is a big deal for us normal humans If you live 0.5 mile from work, go ahead and load up the kitchen sink. Otherwise I suggest using your head while packing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Pack the kitchen sink, particularly cheap heavy armor, in the vehicle.  It can carry it.  If you ever have to ditch the vehicle and have a long way to walk, leave the heavy stuff in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So riots are not on your list? They can happen any place or time! If you feel you need a GHB then you must be far enough away from home to need the bag!

Also after being in a few fire fights I have never heard anyone say " Wish I did not have that much ammo." Or "Wished I had a smaller caliber weapon!" Or " All I need is two magazine!"

Prepare for the worse and pray for the best! After doing three combat tours and being LEO in a Rural area that was high crime I never feel having to much ammo or having a rifle is overkill! Might be just a person who has been in combat and part of a invasion!

Unless I was in walking distance to my house I'd always carry a rifle! Let's not get into why a rifle is better then a pistol!
View Quote
You don't think an 8 minute drive is walking distance?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Armor was mentioned in the OP...

An additional 20 pounds over a 20+ mile distance is a big deal for us normal humans If you live 0.5 mile from work, go ahead and load up the kitchen sink. Otherwise I suggest using your head while packing.
View Quote
I see now, soft armor.

IMO, it's pointless for GHB.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Are you leaving the bag in the car? If so I think its very stupid. Leaving a gun in the car is just foolish. This is how we keep arming the criminal element. You are thousands of times more likely to have that rifle stolen from you the yiu actually would need to use it. If you ccw thats fine, on your person.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#36]
My GHB stay locked in trunk. CCW come in with me of course. I have a slick plate carrier set up with ceramics in trunk. When things "get sporty " I put a 10.5 in trunk. I bring it in everyday. Just a Nike sports bag. If an event kicks off, I will have to get across "little Memphis " and 14 miles to home. So I do like a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Are you leaving the bag in the car? If so I think its very stupid. Leaving a gun in the car is just foolish. This is how we keep arming the criminal element. You are thousands of times more likely to have that rifle stolen from you the yiu actually would need to use it. If you ccw thats fine, on your person.
View Quote
BATFE has armed far more criminals than the guns stolen out of my car.  So far, it's BATFE 87, backbencher 0.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Serious question.

View Quote
Depends how rural.

I come from southern CA, so pretty much most of the US is ....  my wife, on the other hand, literally grew up in a "neighborhood " (smaller than my parent's cul d'sac) named Rural.

Anyway, I've lived in rural MO and KY for >5 years and never used.  Mostly because I don't feel the nees to shoot every dog, coyote or hog that I run across.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Most people haven't used a trunk gun.

Most people haven't used a bug-out-bag.

See where my logic is headed ....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top