Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 5:05:51 PM EDT
I just bought this head on ebay last week for  $25 delivered. I failed to take before pictures bit it wasn't pretty. I am not sure who made this head. It's not Hults Bruk. I'm guessing that it's a Wetterlings or Urafors.

I stole one of the 24" West Woods Handles off the shelf and mounted it up.  The head has a lot of hour glass shape and it didn't want to track the way I would have liked. I got it done and mounted so tight that the wedge almost didn't go in.

The eye in this head is right at the maximum for the handle. 2" x 3/4".  The fit is tight even without a huge shoulder  which is really more of a false sense of security.

This shows why I left the shoulder so long. This design is much more like many of the German makers. The idea is to have a longer gripping area for doing carving and feather sticking. It is much more comfortable and controllable in a push cut.

The shoulder is nice and thin so it won't hit when splitting. It looks a bit different but it's extremely useable this way.

This axe ended up 23.75" long and 2 lbs 8 oz. 1.75 lb head.

I am very happy with the size and weight. For almost the same weight as a boys axe head alone you get 95% of its capabilities and better packability.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good but I'm not a fan of the carving handle
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
More German style. Especially on square back axes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't had the pleasure of square back axes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Another axe!!!  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another axe!!!  
View Quote
Number 97 is a Husqvarna hatchet I got for $30 delivered. It will be here this week.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top