BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 11:35:21 PM EDT
TJ,

Are you still around old friend?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
He posted on 6/28, did something happen between then and now?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't been around for a while. We used to do survival camp outs in north Georgia together. Just reaching back out again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe that you can tag people now.

@ThomasJefferson
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
How you been, Sweep?

The forum is a little different than before, lots of new faces-so many that you get lost in a few years or so and you become a newb or interloper when you visit. Still a good forum but the old guard are long gone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How you been, Sweep?

The forum is a little different than before, lots of new faces-so many that you get lost in a few years or so and you become a newb or interloper when you visit. Still a good forum but the old guard are long gone.
View Quote
I don't know if I would go that far, just depends how often you frequent.  Defiantly ups and down but not as overrun as some other forums I frequent...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know if I would go that far, just depends how often you frequent.  Defiantly ups and down but not as overrun as some other forums I frequent...
View Quote
Today I cooked on a made in china copy of a Primus propane stove...but so what...nobody needs to be burdened with survival facebook, so I don't find a lot to post.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sure am.  Just been on vacation working on my boat.  Going to pull her this fall and overhaul her.  

Right now she won't start.  No fuel getting to the carb.  Had a motorcycle accident that laid me up so the boat sit for two years.  Amazing how when you get laid up family and friends will work on your house or your car but a boat, forget it.  They all want to go out on it but nobody want's to work on it.  I guess they figure you don't need it.  

Tj
View Quote
They say that the best swimming pools and boats belong to someone you know ...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Today I cooked on a made in china copy of a Primus propane stove...but so what...nobody needs to be burdened with survival facebook, so I don't find a lot to post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well..if you don't post how will you become an online super survival expert....
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure am.  Just been on vacation working on my boat.  Going to pull her this fall and overhaul her.  

Right now she won't start.  No fuel getting to the carb.  Had a motorcycle accident that laid me up so the boat sit for two years.  Amazing how when you get laid up family and friends will work on your house or your car but a boat, forget it.  They all want to go out on it but nobody want's to work on it.  I guess they figure you don't need it.  

Good news is I'm better, not only better but way better. Got my weight down to 165 that down 50lbs from my high.  I haven't been in this good a shape in twenty years.  Most of the guys from the board that know me personally wouldn't even recognize me.  

Nothing special.  Instead of doing fad things to lose weight, I simply started counting calories.  You can eat what you want just save up the calories type of thing.  Its just like budgeting money or in our case budgeting food in a crisis.  At first you use your cell phone or computer to look things up and read labels but after a while you kind know an egg is 65 cals white bread is 130 cals etc.  

Something I learned, what we store back in food if you used a calorie method, we're all going to get fat. LOL  I guess that's a good thing that we have some buffer built into our planning.  

You need to drive up and come see me old buddy.  I think of our camps down Chatooga Gorge often and got pictures of this Ninja guy.  

Tj
View Quote
Very happy you are doing well!!!

Old-Timer...

Oh wait---  I'm older than you!

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made the jump from hobby survivalist to prepped and stopped spending as much time here-putting together a functional BOL has been a lot more work than I ever imagined it would be to do it right. I dunno, I guess I just feel like what used to be my home on ARFCOM isn't anymore and when I do contribute it isn't valued based on the interaction my posts get.

We probably seemed "clique-ish" 10-15 years ago to people that had come before....
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I made the jump from hobby survivalist to prepped and stopped spending as much time here-putting together a functional BOL has been a lot more work than I ever imagined it would be to do it right. I dunno, I guess I just feel like what used to be my home on ARFCOM isn't anymore and when I do contribute it isn't valued based on the interaction my posts get.

We probably seemed "clique-ish" 10-15 years ago to people that had come before....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same boat. Once I relocated rural priorities changed.
No more care about 50$ gizmo this or that . It turned to 300$ well pumps, chicken,why is my good plots not growing as well...cutting trees sucks.

Imho the prepper fad is slowing. It's been 10 years since it kicked off, lots have moved on or moved up....

Ebb and flow....
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe the "Prepper Fadlike" thing is fading for ---some of us...

Because we've acquired considerable knowledge and grown wiser with more common sense...

And shiny things that once seemed Tactic-cool and important, no longer are...

Like the $50 Punch-Out Wrench Set on a Credit Card you can carry in your wallet...

Or overpriced silver coins with a boltface that in a year no one would recognize for value in a SHTF...

--that so many here gushed over--

While wasting $$$$ on...

We still see silly threads like "witch gun for SHTF", or "do I have too many guns, ---but what should I buy next," etc, but these are usually from Newbies or long-term tacticool preppers who are still waiting to learn to make decisions for themselves ---without making a big public deal abt it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well guys a big part of it is 10-15 years to prep, you kind of prepped already.  

Some things I still am.  I'm still a flashlight whore.  Found a neat 300 lumen AA aluminum case at Lowes no less, got two of them.  Got a crap load of the new Chinese single AA high outputs.  Knives just replaced my Gerber MKII I broke after the war, yes, Vietnam War.  Man, these new ones are killer good, much better.  Paid $20 less than the early 70's too.  

Food, generators, tents, bags, cots, stoves, NATO cans, not so much.  Got all that stuff, so you do you all.  

Maybe us older guys at this should do some tutorials?  I'll tell you one thing I wouldn't have bought, all those damn tray rats.  Things like that.

TJ
View Quote
I woulda just stuck to one kinda of weapon system vs 20 lmao.
Damn 60$ mausers and cheap 8mm takes up a bunch of space.

Got debt free sooner..

Relocated before I did.

I think getting out is worth more than any as seen on YouTube gadget ..lol .

Kifaru still sucks
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been toying of doing a reunion style camp out down here..car camp..day hikes vs let's hump 15 miles in 94f temps lmao. Camp fires vs soda can stoves ..etc lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well other than the hike in thing and 94 degree heat, that wouldn't be a bad idea.  Ops is down way now and the mid-west and SE guys had a lot of crossover during the height of the camp years.  A trip to FL during fall or winter wouldn't take much encouraging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been toying of doing a reunion style camp out down here..car camp..day hikes vs let's hump 15 miles in 94f temps lmao. Camp fires vs soda can stoves ..etc lol
Well other than the hike in thing and 94 degree heat, that wouldn't be a bad idea.  Ops is down way now and the mid-west and SE guys had a lot of crossover during the height of the camp years.  A trip to FL during fall or winter wouldn't take much encouraging.
Yeah Ops is not far from me honestly. But haven't heard from him in a while.
If he's been active outdoors we've prolly crossed paths and didnt know it.

There's a few options for areas..from total off grid....to reserve only areas.

Have to start looking I guess lmao.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Good to see y'all around still...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well guys a big part of it is 10-15 years to prep, you kind of prepped already.  

Some things I still am.  I'm still a flashlight whore.  Found a neat 300 lumen AA aluminum case at Lowes no less, got two of them.  Got a crap load of the new Chinese single AA high outputs.  Knives just replaced my Gerber MKII I broke after the war, yes, Vietnam War.  Man, these new ones are killer good, much better.  Paid $20 less than the early 70's too.  

Food, generators, tents, bags, cots, stoves, NATO cans, not so much.  Got all that stuff, so you do you all.  

Maybe us older guys at this should do some tutorials?  I'll tell you one thing I wouldn't have bought, all those damn tray rats.  Things like that.

TJ
View Quote
Glad to hear you're doing well, hate to hear you had a 'git off'. As for tutorials, I can't find the thread, but you did one on how to take care of your feet, and that would be a good place to start. That one struck home with me, can't move effectively if you can't walk.

I like the tutorial idea, it would be really helpful to see an occasional thread with that specific goal. Thanks to Batmancw for the axe tutorials.

Anyways, nice to see y'all chime in and hear you're still kick'in it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh yeah, what is going to happen next in this thread...swingset going to give advice on why to avoid waterparks?!? (I loved that tutorial....)
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't stop in very often but something made me swing by today.

I'm doing all my camping of a Motorcycle these days.
Just got back from doing 3200 miles.

Lets see 4 sbr's a 22 supressor couple hots for it 2 new 1911's few more glocks since we last talked.
All i need is some debarked chiwawas to wake me up and i might be able to survive.

Waldo I'll be smoking a cigar and drinking bourbun tonight ........ I may even sleep in the truck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Memories

Txl
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Its like a reunion of sorts. lol.

Hey Sweep, I still have a "ninja" pic somewhere. lol.

Oh yea, I have a short memory, but I certainly dont forget your famous phrase you uttered to me long ago.."Sure, you can drink the water"....lol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Some of the SF old guard in here.

Protus even spells better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some of the SF old guard in here.

Protus even spells better.
View Quote
Sad day...truly a sad day

I own multicam to....so the world is ending for sure.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still all AK or do you own an AR yet?  - I don't
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No AR yet. But current prices make it hard not to.
However...I've got a buddy Willing to trade a sealed battle pack of port x51 for built lower.....
Do it's even more tempting....lol 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, what is going to happen next in this thread...swingset going to give advice on why to avoid waterparks?!? (I loved that tutorial....)
View Quote
Wow, I forgot about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top