Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2017 11:53:10 AM EDT
It seem like all the old places I use to go to have really jacked up there shipping prices or they don't have as much as they use to.

Use to order a lot from webstaurant store now they are charging an arm and leg for shipping. I went to buy a few items and the shipping cost more then they total.

I'm trying to find a place to buy 50 lbs bags of Jasmin rice, Cane Sugar and 5 gal bucket of Coconut oil.

I assume I'm going to have to stick with the webstaurant store for the canned sloppy joes and taco meat that is really good by the way also #10 tins of Apple Butter and Applesauce.

Also seems Honeyville does not have as much as they use to I was expecting them to have Cane Sugar but no luck with that. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it doesn't help,  but the amish place up the road.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually in some metro area somewhat close there will be one or more restaurant supply stores, actual stores. Some of them around here will sell to anybody, which is where you get your bulk stuff.

Except table salt. I cannot find bulk table salt to save my soul around here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is "table" salt better than "sea" salt?

I guess my thinking is less complicated storage and would be able to make up any missing nutrients with other foods.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Asian food store for the big bags of rice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess my thinking is less complicated storage and would be able to make up any missing nutrients with other foods.
View Quote
I ended up buying himalayan pink salt by the 50 pound bag. Its what we use anyway.

Table salt is pure salt, usually with iodide added. BUT, as I understand, the iodine has a shelf life. The micro-nutrients (including iodide) in pink salt are GTG for longer than you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Costco?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Costco?
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
We have restaurant supply store in our A/O.  JETRO is local to us and the only requirement is that you have a business tax number or a tax exempt cert to shop there and no membership fees.
Pretty good prices but everything is in 5 gallon buckets.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bingo!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Costco?

Bingo!
6 hour round trip for me to the nearest one same goes for Sams club a little closer just 4.5 hour round trip.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure it doesn't help,  but the amish place up the road.
View Quote
Ours is 20 min away, but this! Bulk flours, grain, oils, salt, sugars, and jar lids

It's what we eat all of the time anyway
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I buy most of my stuff now from Walmart.com. Low shipping and they have cane sugar, lots of survival foods.
The Morena sugar is excellent. 8#bags. Does not get hard during storage.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I buy salt at Salt Works (seasalt.com).  Free shipping on the 55lb bags of sea salt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
How far away is your closest Mormon cannery?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
restaurant depot.  needs non-profit or commercial rest. business to be a member.  Or go with a member for a day.  

BJs for canned meat and honey
online bulk for green coffee beans
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Winco.

Sams.

Honeyville.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife and I canned some green beans and squash today. Does that count?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the LDS store online ( LDS.store.org) good prices great selection.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use the LDS store online ( LDS.store.org) good prices great selection.
View Quote
store.LDS.org
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I've hadn't great experiences with honeyville.  Get on their mailing list for discounts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 300 miles from the closest Mormon cannery BUT, my dad lives near one and I place an order quite often with him. Closest Winco foods is about 300 miles as well, I make sure to stop by every time we hit either OKC or the Metro Plex. I have a buddy that lives in BFE, Texas, Deep West Texas. I buy stuff for him all the time and take it when I visit. Depending on where you are, what you wanted etc... someone might be willing to "rat line" some things for you.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
THRIVELIFE
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
restaurant depot.  needs non-profit or commercial rest. business to be a member.  Or go with a member for a day.  

View Quote
This is where I go as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#23]
How much will you really save by purchasing the rice and sugar in 50 lb bags?  For instance, I can often just about match per pound my purchase price of 50 lb bags of sugar or rice with what I can buy at a discount grocery store like ALDI.  Their product is just in a 4 or 5 lb bag

For what it is worth, I buy my 50 lb bags of sugar by the pallet, each one weighing over a ton, and usually several at a time with other pallets of items to save on the trucking.  There is a slight savings there, perhaps a dollar or two over the 50 lbs but the convenience is more important then the small savings to me.  

If you are going to repackage it, does it really matter how it comes?  The 50 lb bags rip so easy anyways, and mice will get in it if it is not repacked.  From the pallet load perspective, the 50 lb bags sugar tends to flatten out and hang over the sides of the pallet, which with those thin bags is just asking for damage when moving the skid with a forklift.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sea Salt must be better for you, after all it contains all the contaminates that mankind has put into the sea for the past couple of thousand years, which of course includes Mercury, Radiation, etc.

And of course if you really want to get technical salt from salt caves and domes used to be "Sea Salt".

Table salt would be iodized, Sea salt normally is not.

Rancher
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use restaurant depot as well.  Great prices on sacks of beans, lentils, rice, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How much will you really save by purchasing the rice and sugar in 50 lb bags?  For instance, I can often just about match per pound my purchase price of 50 lb bags of sugar or rice with what I can buy at a discount grocery store like ALDI.  Their product is just in a 4 or 5 lb bag

For what it is worth, I buy my 50 lb bags of sugar by the pallet, each one weighing over a ton, and usually several at a time with other pallets of items to save on the trucking.  There is a slight savings there, perhaps a dollar or two over the 50 lbs but the convenience is more important then the small savings to me.  

If you are going to repackage it, does it really matter how it comes?  The 50 lb bags rip so easy anyways, and mice will get in it if it is not repacked.  From the pallet load perspective, the 50 lb bags sugar tends to flatten out and hang over the sides of the pallet, which with those thin bags is just asking for damage when moving the skid with a forklift.
View Quote
I sure hope all that sugar you buy by the PALLET isn't for consumption by just you and yours. The diabetes will kill you very quickly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sure hope all that sugar you buy by the PALLET isn't for consumption by just you and yours. The diabetes will kill you very quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

post-apocalyptic baker?? I just had visions of running and gunning with my G40 with Leupold DPP in my right hand and bear claw in my left hand, hahahaha

in all seriousness though, since I never thought of it...anyone have any ideas what the shelf life of vacuum sealed sugar is???
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Costco.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

post-apocalyptic baker?? I just had visions of running and gunning with my G40 with Leupold DPP in my right hand and bear claw in my left hand, hahahaha

in all seriousness though, since I never thought of it...anyone have any ideas what the shelf life of vacuum sealed sugar is???
View Quote
keep it dry and bug free forever.

I local store about 40 miles from here has two bulk grain/dry good orders a year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is purchased for a retail bulk store.  Product is sold by the 50lb bag and also bagged out in smaller bags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top