Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2017 7:23:12 PM EDT
We've had a series of nasty weather events around here the past few weeks. Two tornados with adjacent straight line winds and then giant 2-3" hail a couple days ago. Lots of roofs have been severely damaged and many people have fashioned temporary roof repairs while they wait for insurance and available contractors.

I'm thinking about getting am emergency roof repair/recovery kit in the hopes that it is yet another prep that's a total waste of money.

Does anyone know about any best practices for making emergency roof repairs or temporary tarp placement?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
don't know about best practice... I keep a half bundle or so of furring strips and a box of deck screws to edge the blue tarps... can of spray foam insulation to fill any punctures from falling limbs... can of roof mastic to adhere any loose shingles...

my roof has the peel and stick under layment
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Through the Roof.

You can get it in a paint can or a caulk tube. Great for small repairs and sealing up screws

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Billboard Tarps
They recycle the tarps that billboards are made of.
They print a huge tarp, then put it atop the billboard. It's cheaper than painting a new BB.
When the lease is over, they take the tarp down and resell it to people for boat tarps, etc.

This is tough plastic. Give it a look!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a gallon of flex seal

Pour on the damage areas

Sleep dry...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Tarps or plastic sheeting. Must be big enough or have multiple to layer and go over the ridge. Complex roofs (many angles and ridges) can be difficult. Extend far enough over the opening on the sides cover adequately. Roofing nails to hold it down, wood strips and screws would be be better. May need to tape the overlap to prevent wind blown rain up and under. Have done it a few times when I was a firefighter. Hope that all makes sense.  

Plastic sheeting has a dual purpose for shelter in place post hazmat event. Tarps make decent improvised shelters. I have several of both.

We are back in town and went to Stella's the other night. Saw a little bit of the damage, pretty nasty. We staying out by Cableas and there are at least 30 State Farm vehicles from around the country parked here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Billboard Tarps
They recycle the tarps that billboards are made of.
They print a huge tarp, then put it atop the billboard. It's cheaper than painting a new BB.
When the lease is over, they take the tarp down and resell it to people for boat tarps, etc.

This is tough plastic. Give it a look!
View Quote
That is a great idea. I might just get a few of these. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We are back in town and went to Stella's the other night. Saw a little bit of the damage, pretty nasty. We staying out by Cableas and there are at least 30 State Farm vehicles from around the country parked here.
View Quote
You are right in the same county as me then.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
So with regards to the wooden strips used to hold down the tarp the idea is to nail or screw them down?

Wouldn't the nails or screws damage an otherwise undamaged area of the roof? Or is it just a little more damage to prevent a whole lot more?

my parts list:

-Several plastic tarps (billboard)
-100 or so board feet of furring strips
-box of coarse decking screws
-several cans of the various roof hole sealing products

anything else?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
you can most likely lift the outer shingle and then tar under to help seal.... my intent is for a catastrophic failure where the roof would most likely be replaced later... the spray insulation foam idea came from a friend that sealed his roof from a puncture in pretty high wind and rain during the 2004/2005 season here in Fla

be sure to get square head or TorX screws so you can load them to the drill bit... don't use Phillips
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

be sure to get square head or TorX screws so you can load them to the drill bit... don't use Phillips
View Quote
This is the truth

Also if you don't own a 1/4 inch impact cordless driver /screw gun; buy one while at the store.

Completely worth the $100 and will make the job go easier
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could you explain this a little more?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Second image down

Drive types

Most likely will be called exterior deck screws with torx drive( those are popular this year)
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
LTCetme...  the TorX and square head screws will stay on the driver bit, and you can use one hand to screw them in... a Phillips typically needs to be started by holding with the off hand... I have 27 windows to board up for a hurricane, and without help, it is a chore to hold the plywood in place and then start a Phillips screw... the TorX is much easier

my inexpensive 12v cordless died half way through in 2004 when I boarded up for the Cat 3.... I bought an 18v Ridgid as soon as the storm was over
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So with regards to the wooden strips used to hold down the tarp the idea is to nail or screw them down?

Wouldn't the nails or screws damage an otherwise undamaged area of the roof? Or is it just a little more damage to prevent a whole lot more?

my parts list:

anything else?
View Quote
The strips hold the tarp down; the screws/nails/whatever keep the strips in place. Preferably, you should put the fasteners in a place that is as strong and undamaged as possible; they won't do much damage, and when you remove them, squirt some weatherproof glue into the hole and you will be GTG.

I recently found some great screws that are as close to universally-usable as possible. They are self-drilling, self-tapping panel screws. They drill the hole ahead of the thread, and have a rubber grommet under the head to prevent damage to whatever  you are fastening them to. And the box I got had a 1/4" hex driver for my screwdriver (mine weren't phillips head, they were 1/4" hex head.)
They are intended for metal or plastic panels, but they seem to be good for whatever use I put them to. I'd love to see if I can find some longer lengths; the 1" screws pictured are for 1/2 thick applications because 1/4" is taken up with the tapping/drilling end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like you got hit by the same crap we did.  We ended up with some dents in our truck (thankfully no window or paint damage).  If you were north of about Blondo or Maple street you were pretty much guaranteed vehicle window damage.  I think your best prep in this regard would be ensuring your insurance will cover the issues, and making sure you don't have any big trees too close to your house.  You may also want to check your gutters, since I know several people who will have to replace theirs (I may be included in that).
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think you're overcomplicating (is that even a word?) the job at hand.

You're just trying to keep the rain out with a temporary repair - you're not trying to lay down a new roof.

I'd be cautious about laying down furring strips and then poking more holes in your roof with screws.

You don't know if the insurance man is going to give you a check to re-roof a portion of your roof or the entire roof.

Their job is to repair the damage caused by the storm, not the homeowner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my parts list:

anything else?
I think you're overcomplicating (is that even a word?) the job at hand.

You're just trying to keep the rain out with a temporary repair - you're not trying to lay down a new roof.

I'd be cautious about laying down furring strips and then poking more holes in your roof with screws.

You don't know if the insurance man is going to give you a check to re-roof a portion of your roof or the entire roof.

Their job is to repair the damage caused by the storm, not the homeowner.
I respectfully disagree.  That list is pretty much the basics (minimum) for a temporary repair.  The furring strips are  a must, if you have ever made a roof repair before.  I have helped several people repair small holes from tree limbs falling.  I stock up on cheap Harbor Freight tarps.  Use those 20% coupons.  They [tarps] will last a good 2-3 months exposed to the elements, which is about the time it takes to get a claim processed and a contractor to do the work with all permitting.  Use fender washers with screws to keep the tarp tight, then use sealant and frame it with furring strips.  The furring strips are what ultimately keep the water out. Lets all remember that every shingle strip uses 5 nails.  Go look in your attic, there are nails everywhere.  Don't be afraid to put a few screws next to them!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I put on an exposed fastener metal roof on the house.

If the entire roof is trashed and no longer is water tight, the house is likely totaled anyway.

If a branch punctures a hole, I keep the spare roofing panels left over from the project on hand. Install new panel section, and I'm GTG.

The only issue is that my roof is steep enough that you basically have to have a boom lift to do anything on it unless you are Spider Man, so I would have to wait for that to come from the farm or rental place.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top