Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 5:13:05 PM EDT
My dad and I are replacing my asphalt roof with a standing seam metal roof this September.  I have been looking all over for these solar roof pannels that go between the seams of the metal roof, but can't find any company that sells them, or specs on them to see if they're even worth a damn.  All I know is they appear to be very covert to the neighbors and satellite imagry, and are pleasing on the eye, which is why I'm entertaining the idea of buying these for basic back up power.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to consider how you will service them and if replacements are available...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_solar_cell

I did more digging.  Looks like they are now just as good as PV systems, cheaper, but only last 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They were made by Unisolar, a division of United Ovonics. They didn't take the .gov solar handouts and failed during the economic downturn.. a lot of good people here lost jobs in that deal-it sucks because making solar cells in a continuous process on a lasted substrate is the key to making solar practical. Efficiency doesn't matter for most people because they usually run the of budget before they run out of roof space.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Amorphous cells, which unfortunately deteriorate hence the limited lifespan.

I have standing seam at the BOL and ended up using conventional mounts and panels. When I was working with the roofers
(I put some sweat equity in) we were talking about mounting options and they mentioned there are standing
seam specific mounts that clamp on to the seams, but virtually no one used them because their durability was
pretty questionable.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amorphous cells, which unfortunately deteriorate hence the limited lifespan.

I have standing seam at the BOL and ended up using conventional mounts and panels. When I was working with the roofers
(I put some sweat equity in) we were talking about mounting options and they mentioned there are standing
seam specific mounts that clamp on to the seams, but virtually no one used them because their durability was
pretty questionable.
View Quote
I install solar for a living (for the last ten years). My region is western Mass and VT and we deal heavily with standing seam metal roofs.

We exclusively use S5! Solution clamps and we've never had a problem. They're just a block of aluminum with stainless steel set screws, they're pretty "bullet proof". You can bolt anything you'd like on to them. It's also how many snow guards are attached to SSM roofs.

The large advantage is there are no penetrations made to your roof surface.

I'd suggest using S5s and bolting UniRac Solar Mount racking to it. You can attach any panel to it with the correct sized UniRac clamps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
These are interesting. Likely overpriced though.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I think those are computer generated in those pics. (shopped)
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Reverse image search:

http://roofing.memo-ru.net/flexible-solar-panels-for-metal-roofs/
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
There are a few companies still making peel-n-stick modules.  But they'll all be thin film.  I'm not aware of any companies still making an A-Si module, but CIGS is pretty common and a better tech than A-Si.   I've done quite a bit of work with framed CIGS modules, but the last standing seam roof I did was with Unisolar about 7 years ago.

Solopower is one company that comes to mind for CIGS modules.  Xunlight was another, but I think they've left the States.

B
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top