Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The deed is a good place to start.  I bought a place with deed restrictions and I had to be shown them before completing the deal.

As mentioned, start learning about your state and county and property.

Anything historical can be a royal pain, growing up one town near me had some awesome old houses.  One sold really cheap at some point.

Reason it sold cheap is because repairs/renovations had to be done to historical requirements, I don't pretend to know if that was just visual or what.

Anyway, new owners sort of knew what they were getting into but I heard a lot more as the years went on.  I hung out at a local business they frequented and just hearing odds and ends about specific paint colors and trim designs and what not made me think of giving the house away if I were dumb enough to have bought it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.  If you make a space that isn't inspected, you cannot include the square footage in a sale.  This fucks you when the buyer needs to finance.  They won't cover that square footage.  I know a couple people that have fucked themselves that way.  One figures it will be $15K to have it inspected to current code.  It is a huge space. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a permit for an outbuilding/shed.  After the final inspection, modify the inside to suit your needs.
If you ever sale the land, it includes an unimproved out building.  If you try the log cabin law, make sure you have $10,000 to $20,000 set aside for your lawyer.  Even if you  win the case, you will still have to pay your lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the Indiana Log Cabin Law

"The State of Indiana allows counties to establish building codes. However, section IC 36-7-8-3 (d) specifically excludes those codes from applying to "private homes that are built by individuals and used for their own occupancy." This is known as the Log Cabin Rule.

Note, however, that the law most likely will not protect tiny homes on wheels, which are generally considered RVs."
Source

Also ....

"The Indiana Court of Appeals addressed this issue twice, once in Robinson v. Monroe County, 658 N.E.2d 647, 652 (Ind. Ct. App. 1995) and again in Robinson v. Monroe, 60A04-9506-CV-225 (Ind. Ct. App. 1996). The Indiana Appeals Court (Majority Opinion) denied both, Monroe County and Indiana Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission (Amicus Curiae)…"
Source

The second link is is insightful, it gives the explanation from the judge on the ruling and it looks like it's really be three times it's been addressed the issue if you include the people that wrote the article as another case.

For those talking about on wheels, I've considered it but I really don't want to go that route.  I need to keep researching but it's I'm still leaning towards getting minimum permits to build, but once I'm building if they want to give me a hard time about the things being built not being built to code I'll tell them to pound sand.  
View Quote
"but once I'm building if they want to give me a hard time about the things being built not being built to code I'll tell them to pound sand."

lol!

Make their day!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if you plan to occupy the structure you must follow the Indiana Residential Code.  This is a state requirement.

Indiana DHS (has jurisdiction over your project)

Indiana Amendments To Adopted Model Code

The "amendments" link is just what Indiana ADDED or MODIFIED when they "adopted a model code".  The actual current One & Two Family Model Code is the 2006 International Residential Code (with Indiana Amendments).

675 IAC 14-4.3-2 Chapter 1; administration

The provisions of this code apply to the construction, prefabrication, alteration, addition, and remodel of detached one or two family dwellings and one family townhouses not more than 3 stories in height and their accessory structures.   This code does not apply to manufactured homes as defined in SECTION R202, SECTION AE201, and IC 22-12-1-16 except as addressed in APPENDIX E.

HOWEVER, Indiana allows counties with code enforcement capabilities to supersede state code in certain circumstances.  This is a county-by-county and project-by-project situation.  I would consult your county building department.

The green statement is where the so called "Log Cabin Rule" may apply.  Again, you will need to discuss this with your: local area plan commission and building commission.

This is not legal or professional consultation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The likelihood of you loosing your land, paying huge fines or having to tear things down because they aren't permitted is a lot higher then a SHTF event.  Do it right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just build it

If it's exterior all they will do is come measure it and add it to your taxes if they see it later
No big deal
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some may seem Draconian, but every one is the result of something BAD happening.
View Quote
I'm not disagreeing with your advice, but this part is nonsense.

I see a lot of "special approval required" things that are just plain shakedowns.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not disagreeing with your advice, but this part is nonsense.

I see a lot of "special approval required" things that are just plain shakedowns.
View Quote
I'd like to hear a few...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
In my experience, years later what you think you got away with comes back to bite you in the ass. Be upfront but with as little info as possible. Perfectly legit to call a barn an agricultural shed if you "really" don't know the difference.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sadly it's the county that tested the Indiana cabin law.... Monroe but since they lost that case maybe they've learned their lesson

As for selling I don't plan to ever sell. I realize things happen and I might but honestly by that time I don't care of I have to tear it down. I'm looking at something like 10k in material... if they last me 20 years I'd probably be to the point I need to build again anyways
View Quote
From what you're describing, I don't think I'd worry about it.  $10K in material is a shed.

If I was building a $150k house that I wanted to have resale value, I'd follow the process.

ETA:  Assuming you're zoned agriculture.  If it's residential you might have troublems.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still in the camp of minimum permits and then conceal/not draw attention to myself as best as possible.  I just need to get with the county and get a feel for how much of an issue it will or won't be, I might get lucky and be worrying for nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
It all depends really. If it's rural enough there will be no permits. Only way to find out is to ask.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived in Indiana Over 20 year.  Act Amish and they will go away pronto, trust mr on this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you EVER want to get insurance, GET THE PERMITS.

If you don't want to risk having the county tear down you house, GET THE PERMITS.

If you don't want the fire department to use your burning home to roast hot dogs and marshmallows, GET THE PERMITS.

Building codes and standards are there for a reason.  Some may seem Draconian, but every one is the result of something BAD happening.

All that being said, I'm in the process of building a homestead and living in a travel trailer until I get a permanent, permitted home built.  In my county, structures of 200 square feet or less don't require permits, unless you're living in it.  I have two, 10'x20' lofted barn sheds.  One is purely for storage, batteries, and electrical stuff.  The other is a studio/workshop/reloading room, and sometimes sleeping quarters.  "Sometimes" is a relative term.
View Quote
Result of something bad happening

And?  A lot of people are under the mistaken notion the government is responsible for our forced safety and basically every other aspect of our life.

No one has any business what you do with your property. Or at least that's how it should be. If something happens to you because you cut corners then it's on you.

This "for your safety bullshit" needs to end
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top