Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:35:22 AM EDT
Early this year I purchased roughly six acres of land surrounded by around 500+ acres of federal land.  This is in Indiana, there are a few neighbors close by and a medium size city about 25 minutes away but 15 of those minutes are spent on a winding gravel road with deep hollers on each side.

There is already a "cabin" on the property but it's on about a two acre clearing and needs tore down, unfortunately there is a road that spits some of the property and where I want to build will be hidden slightly by tree but it won't be deep enough to not be visible from the road (will probably make another thread about what I could do to conceal it better).

So finally the question, I'll be going off grid from the start, in essence I'm looking to build a glorified shed/cabin.  If in a similar situation how much would you involve the county, would you get permits for everything, follow code, etc. ..... don't involve them at all and try to fly under the radar .... or what I'm leaning towards a little of each (as in get a permit for a shed but that's all)

My concern is if I go in and tell them I'm looking to build a "cabin" to be my primary residence that I'll be told of 200 code violations preventing me from doing so.  Note that I'm not looking to dump my raw sewage down a holler or anything like that, I'm looking at a compositing toilet and stuff like.  Also another thing to note is Indiana does have laws on the books typically referred to as "Indiana Log Cabin Law" which from my brief research pretty much protects me from the county screwing me over by saying I'm not following code, in essence if it's my property and I build the structure for my personal use they can't say anything.  I can link to references if anyone is interested to read up on it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You ever need to finance/refinance, sell, or have a tax assessor visit - an appraiser and inspector will become your worst enemies if you go playing the 'I didn't know I needed a permit....' game.

At the very least - in some jurisdictions - the county can fine you some stupid amount of money for every day your unpermitted construction is still standing from the time they notify you that they caught you until you tear it all down to the ground.

Don't even get started on trying to insure or claim damages in the event that something goes wrong, either.

'The Man' gets pissed when you don't invite him to the party when he wrote the rules saying you were supposed to.

ETA: To clarify - make sure you know what you're getting into, first.

5 to 10 years from now - you want to add on so the new kids have their own rooms - it gets hard to add to a building that isn't supposed to be there in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're building in flood plain or wet land or some other protected land local/county laws don't amount to squat. 

I'd just build and play dumb
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I once went to the town to get a permit to finish my basement to make an entertainment room.

Building inspector said, " I don't care what you call it, I am calling it a bedroom and you have to upgrade your septic system because it is too small for a 4 bedroom house. ( I have a 3 bedroom house ). Also needed thousands of dollars put into a fund in case my pickup truck with 2x4s damaged the street.

Fuck that.

My response was never mind then.

I built a room anyway, no structural walls. As far as I am concerned it is a big closet. They can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Follow the Plan and get the Permits.

It may seem like a pain in the A$$ now, but just wait until you get caught down the road and all the compounded misery & B.S. you will then suffer...

As poster pointed out, if you ever have anything to do with Finance, Insurance, Utilities, Taxes or later You might ever sell want to the property or leave it to an heir, Then a shortsighted decision not having papers will truly make you or your heirs ask "What was Ol "goodasgone81" thinking and drinking to do something so very very very stupid...

Yes, the ethos here is "Screw The Man" & 'Don't Invite The Man into your life', but truth is we live in "The Man's World" and had better be prepared to play the game or suffer the consequences up to huge fines & penalties that could cause you to lose the very property you seek as a refuge...

I'd definitely look into the "Log Cabin" exceptions you mentioned and see what that can do for you in your situation...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once went to the town to get a permit to finish my basement to make an entertainment room.

Building inspector said, " I don't care what you call it, I am calling it a bedroom and you have to upgrade your septic system because it is too small for a 4 bedroom house. ( I have a 3 bedroom house ). Also needed thousands of dollars put into a fund in case my pickup truck with 2x4s damaged the street.

Fuck that.

I built a room anyway, no structural walls. As far as I am concerned it is a big closet. They can go fuck themselves.
View Quote
I ran into almost the exact situation (yes, even in rural Idaho). And my response was the same as yours. Having said that, in general, I do advocate playing by The Man's rules; however, it sometimes gets so stupid that I just can't.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I know someone who finished his basement a little at a time. Did it right, code compliant except no permits. But now after 15 years, he figures it will cost less to demo it when time to sell than get it straight with the tax man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps consider getting a permit for a shed. Just an empty shed. Do what you want with it later.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
How large a structure do you need?  In some areas you can build one of those tiny houses on a trailer and be ok.  Even though I know a couple of folks who have built houses into other structures*, as others have said, they'll have trouble if they ever need any type of contractor, insurance or just selling the place as is.  The other issue is most counties use aerial maps when looking for new structures and such so even if it's not visible from the road there's a good chance they'll notice it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Build what you want on a big flatbed trailer and haul it out to your property.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Put a large shipping container on the property and make sure that it stays looking like a large shipping container.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
1.  If you have any care about the salability or insurability of your property......get the permits unless you are erecting what amounts to a temporary structure.

2.  The whole permitting scheme is just a revenue generator and attempt to grease the palms of contractors IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I would just put a good size RV on the property and call it good. Get a permit and build a shed if you need more storage room. If you want you could also build a roofed building over the RV spot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
At minimum permit the structure. All the little plumbing and electrical pieces later, you might squeak by, but I'd probably permit the whole thing if it's new construction anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
If you EVER want to get insurance, GET THE PERMITS.

If you don't want to risk having the county tear down you house, GET THE PERMITS.

If you don't want the fire department to use your burning home to roast hot dogs and marshmallows, GET THE PERMITS.

Building codes and standards are there for a reason.  Some may seem Draconian, but every one is the result of something BAD happening.

All that being said, I'm in the process of building a homestead and living in a travel trailer until I get a permanent, permitted home built.  In my county, structures of 200 square feet or less don't require permits, unless you're living in it.  I have two, 10'x20' lofted barn sheds.  One is purely for storage, batteries, and electrical stuff.  The other is a studio/workshop/reloading room, and sometimes sleeping quarters.  "Sometimes" is a relative term.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tons of people are going this route.

If you want a permanent structure then do some research first, in Madison county if you do at least 80% of the work yourself on a structure that's not a home then you don't need a permit. Don't screw with the government, they'll win every time. Now that being said if you just remodel the hell out of your existing structure then I say screw away.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I need to review the log cabin law for Indiana in more detail.... from my brief reading it has been challenged at least twice and both times the courts sided with the homeowner.  I do truly plan to be off grid and simple living (might end up regretting it but I'm going to try).  So in all honesty it will be like a 400 sq ft shed.... just with a door, nice windows, and insulated the shit out of it.  That's why I'm currently leaning towards getting a permit for a shed.  It will technically just be a really nice shed that happens to have a solar array and I might happen to decide to sleep there 95% of the time.

If I read up more on the Indiana log cabin law and it specifically states I don't need permits if I build and on my land then I'll just print out the sections of the bill that discuss that and any other reference material, lament it and hang it on my gate.  Then if the county wants to roll up causing problems I can point to it, then again even if I'd win in court who wants that headache.

The sure do make it hard to break free of the system :)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Build it out of shipping containers, then it's just a mobile shed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a metal roof put on my property as a "barn". It was exactly the same footprint as the barn that used to be there, in the exact same spot, just a few feet taller.
Slapped studs, windows, etc on the sides and was going to go with a soil cement floor, etc. Wife got onto me to get electric put in it and insisted that I get a permit. My plan was to run it all on solar, with composting loo's instead of messing with electric and septic permits. Anyways, called the city and asked about getting an electrical permit. Permit guy asked about the building and I made a very crucial mistake when he asked me if it was for that ratty old barn on the property (very small town). I said "No, I completely rebuilt the barn". BAM! Where's your demo permit? Where's your permit for the new barn? Yeah, I now live in a tiny house on the property, and I'm getting the fuck out of this town as soon as I find a larger property that I like. And they wanted a fucking permit for the tiny house too! Fuck the man and his stupid regs...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Perhaps consider getting a permit for a shed. Just an empty shed. Do what you want with it later.
View Quote
That's my advice too.  Get the permit for the shed, and then realize that most permits exist just for the government to get some money from you while providing no value.  When I lived in Houston the city wanted a $100+ permit for me to plug my new electric range into an existing 220 outlet.  They weren't going to provide any inspection, or any value to me at all; they simply wanted money for me to plug it in.

As far as code goes, you need to realize what code exists to keep your cabin from burning down in your sleep, and what code exists to create valueless work for tradesmen to charge you their hourly rate while they do it.  Case in point:

- Requiring a GFCI on every CIRCUIT with an outlet within 3 feet of a sink?  Yeah, that's smart and will prevent some people from dying.
- Requiring a GFCI on every OUTLET within 3 feet of a sink, even if the outlet is down the circuit from another GFCI outlet?  That's useless and just meant to create billable hours for the electricians who write the electrical code.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I vote for this.  Put it on a nice level crushed stone pad and you have a good start.  If your going to start pouring foundations you will have to go the permit route.

My main workshop/ shed was built and hauled in...  If it wasn't full of tools and other shit, the size and design would make a pretty neat little weekend cabin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Aerial photography gets updated at the tax office every few years.  Software will detect changes.
You have to disclose repairs and such when sold.
The bank will ask about such things when you take out a loan.

If you want under the radar, "make repairs" to the current structure, or do the research to figure out minimum size or portable requirements that make things exempt.  Otherwise just pull the permits and build it to/above code.  You want it built to or above code requirements anyway, correct?

IME structural, plumbing, and mechanical inspectors look things over and find an easy fix or two.  Electrical inspections are fairly thorough with GFI checks.  Follow the requirements and it isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#22]
My cousin wanted to rebuild a hay barn. New tin roof etc..
County ag told him he couldn't replace the roof. But he could "repaint" the roof with galvanized paint... So..
He replaced the tin a few sheets at a time and kept a bucket of galvanized paint on the roof for a few years so any aerial photos showed he was "following the county's advice".

I'd check into the coding requirements as to rebuilding an "existing" structure.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck that.

View Quote
This is how I look at it. They will want you to get permit to take a leak from your front porch, if you let them.
Build the shed and call it a religious shrine. Add a few arches over the doors and call it a "Church Of Solar Enlightement".
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know if loophole exists anymore.

Growing up tearing down a tiny house in the burbs to build a monster house was a good investment for a lot of people.

It was expensive to get permits to tear down old house 100% and then build new one.

So lots of folks left a wall standing.  Well, part of a wall.

They were just adding onto the old house.  Once a wall of new house was up it allowed old wall still standing to be torn down.

So yeah the new "addition" was a completely new house but going off permits and junk it was just an addition.

I would research all options and then decide what to do.  Right now I would be really likely to Let old cabin stand, build a storage shed/garage and stick a camper or something in it and make sure I had a well for water and a septic for waste and not worry about what other people think.

Add on some solar and some batteries and some odds and ends and just let life cruise along while you enjoy the land.

I no longer need a house.  I need a place for a gunsafe, tv, chairs, puter, fridge, freezer, stove, toilet, food pantry, shower, and washer and dryer and I am awfully happy.  A place to lay my head is easy with all that stuff, either one is a futon or somehow a bed snuck in there as well.  Gimme a garage/shed and I am awfully happy.

Due to permit people still might want to leave that ol cabin up for historical study, just your personal interest or something not official and all that.  It should allow a septic and well to be taken care of if you want anything different.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Get with the county and see what they require first. You can usually get a good feel for what they require and how they are to deal with by going in and talking to an inspector. Call ahead and ask if there is someone available and when a good time to go in would be. Let them know you are in the pre-planning stages and want to explore all of your options. You may find out that very little of what you want to do requires permits, or you may find out they are overbearing sticklers. Proceed accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Early this year I purchased roughly six acres of land surrounded by around 500+ acres of federal land.  This is in Indiana, there are a few neighbors close by and a medium size city about 25 minutes away but 15 of those minutes are spent on a winding gravel road with deep hollers on each side.

There is already a "cabin" on the property but it's on about a two acre clearing and needs tore down, unfortunately there is a road that spits some of the property and where I want to build will be hidden slightly by tree but it won't be deep enough to not be visible from the road (will probably make another thread about what I could do to conceal it better).

So finally the question, I'll be going off grid from the start, in essence I'm looking to build a glorified shed/cabin.  If in a similar situation how much would you involve the county, would you get permits for everything, follow code, etc. ..... don't involve them at all and try to fly under the radar .... or what I'm leaning towards a little of each (as in get a permit for a shed but that's all)

My concern is if I go in and tell them I'm looking to build a "cabin" to be my primary residence that I'll be told of 200 code violations preventing me from doing so.  Note that I'm not looking to dump my raw sewage down a holler or anything like that, I'm looking at a compositing toilet and stuff like.  Also another thing to note is Indiana does have laws on the books typically referred to as "Indiana Log Cabin Law" which from my brief research pretty much protects me from the county screwing me over by saying I'm not following code, in essence if it's my property and I build the structure for my personal use they can't say anything.  I can link to references if anyone is interested to read up on it.
View Quote

Not sure if anyone brought this up!
But they do not have to come on your property!
To see what going on!
Around here they use "Satellite Pictures"!
Trees or no trees!
They can see most anything above ground!
Here they check every so often!
Just my 1/2 cents!

PITA45
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Will all of those telling you to blow off the permitting process still be around to help you when/if you get hosed?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Drones and satellites, gonna be seen no matter what you do these days.

Learn about current rules and regs and go from there.

I would not take it to an extreme but it is a tiny bit like nascar quotes of the old days.

If it wasn't in the rule book they considered it ok.  If they did not get caught, they considered it ok.

I am thinking more about seeing all the rule books and picking my way through that minefield is how I would do it.

In many places no permit for a shed of x size.  These tiny houses are built on trailers cause then they are not a permanent structure.

But get that septic and stuff figured out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
On the Indiana Log Cabin Law

"The State of Indiana allows counties to establish building codes. However, section IC 36-7-8-3 (d) specifically excludes those codes from applying to "private homes that are built by individuals and used for their own occupancy." This is known as the Log Cabin Rule.

Note, however, that the law most likely will not protect tiny homes on wheels, which are generally considered RVs."
Source

Also ....

"The Indiana Court of Appeals addressed this issue twice, once in Robinson v. Monroe County, 658 N.E.2d 647, 652 (Ind. Ct. App. 1995) and again in Robinson v. Monroe, 60A04-9506-CV-225 (Ind. Ct. App. 1996). The Indiana Appeals Court (Majority Opinion) denied both, Monroe County and Indiana Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission (Amicus Curiae)…"
Source

The second link is is insightful, it gives the explanation from the judge on the ruling and it looks like it's really be three times it's been addressed the issue if you include the people that wrote the article as another case.

For those talking about on wheels, I've considered it but I really don't want to go that route.  I need to keep researching but it's I'm still leaning towards getting minimum permits to build, but once I'm building if they want to give me a hard time about the things being built not being built to code I'll tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The minute you express an interest in doing anything to your property to a govt agency, they are going to start watching you for violations.

Not sure why you dislike the RV idea.   It is a finished house, up to code, with none of the building problems.

Around here, the rural agencies use aircraft to spot property improvements because google maps only updates every 3-5 years, and foot patrols would get a lot of them shot.

Every time I've dealt with .gov they have made my life difficult.   They believe that is their purpose in life.   I'd set up an RV and/or shipping containers and never even talk to an agency.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Follow the process.  I have a relative rural place and the owner of the property next 2 mine did not follow the process.  He went to sell - the county came in and made him tear off a 10x20 deck and a 10x20 screened in porch (everything roof, walls, floor, footings) because it was done 15 years ago without a permit.

Agree with others it will catch up with you
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I disagree with the "it will catch up to you mentality". Those that are saying that don't realize just how friendly most counties in Indiana are, and how far behind some are.

First question, what county? Based on your OP I have a general idea of what county it's in. If it's in the same county as me then build it, if they do find out, they don't care about the permits, they just want their tax money from the improvements. My county only started doing residential home construction inspections within the last decade. They would issue permits before, but never actually do an inspection.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Sadly it's the county that tested the Indiana cabin law.... Monroe but since they lost that case maybe they've learned their lesson

As for selling I don't plan to ever sell. I realize things happen and I might but honestly by that time I don't care of I have to tear it down. I'm looking at something like 10k in material... if they last me 20 years I'd probably be to the point I need to build again anyways
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Someone on AR15 had a video of them pull their cabin on to their property!
They said, if I remember right! That as long as it could be removed,( Towed out).
On wheels or on a skid! It was considered not a permanent construction!!!
That video had the cabin on skids! It was a nice cabin too.
You will need to check your local area!!!
Let the hive know which way you go! How much trouble it was,if any!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends where you are in life and if you're set financially.

If you are leaving to go to work every day, you don't think people will notice? The google earth pics will show a vehicle parked on the property and a structure.

I knew a guy who lived in a storage unit. He popped out once a week for supplies. Can you live in secret? Sure, but what do you want for quality of life?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:56:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Things that are in my favor.....

There is a house already on the property, it's beyond shit and needs tore down but for the sake of getting mail (haven't decided if I'll try or not), and for questioning relating to the if the county would notice a vehicle there, etc.  For all they would know I'd be living in the shitty house and just have a really nice "shed"

I am single without a family, I haven't ruled it out but what I'm currently look to do isn't something a person with an established family use to living on grid could do

Beyond about $5000 in credit card debt, which I could pay off now but have it on 0% APR so I'm letting it ride for now, I'm completely debt free.  Land was bought outright and everything I plan to do will be paid in cash.

The above positives just highlight why I'm not worried about some of the concerns brought up (although it's nice to have the input).  I'm not worried about issue when trying to sell, and not too worried if a vehicle is there a lot.  I think the only reason I'm not interested in the wheels idea if it adds another cost, I can pour concrete footers myself for cheap, can't much weld together a trailer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in NNY. Very rural NNY. About 6 years ago I bought 2 acres surrounded by hundreds (or thousands) of acres of state land on Tug Hill in the middle of nowhere. Seasonal road. Unplowed, it's a sled trail in the winter. Can't see the site from the road. Parked a camper there for a year, then had a local Mennonite guy build me a 14 x 36 cabin on skids. I prepped a site for it and he delivered it. The plan was to insulate it and finish the interior myself over the course of the summer. Apparently, google earth or something along that line had just updated their maps about that time. About 3 weeks after that, I go there and find a notice from the town building inspector taped to the front door. The note said to get in touch with him because I had no building permit on file. I met with him and told him I didn't think I needed one because it was in the middle of nowhere. He replied "even the middle of nowhere is somewhere". So I applied for the permit, received it and everything was cool after that. Bite the bullet and get a permit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Permits for sheds and that's all, how nice of a shed I make it is up to me.... that's my current position and instead of tearing down the shitty house I'll leave it at least at the start, for all they know I'll be living in it
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is my take.....

You can often fly under the radar by utilizing buildings that aren't 'classified".  Many codes have a definition that delineates what is, and what is not, covered by code.

If you build an all out "building" complete with systems, and its not permitted, it can back fire.  I personally know of some bootleg buildings that were full on 2000 sq ft $200,000 homes that were built without permits.... and later razed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#40]
you better really know what you are up against in your area, before making those decisions.  Most of the time, you can 'get away' with  things, but then there are times when it comes back to bite you in the ass.
Me personally,  I just pony up and do it the right way.   Sleep easier at night that way, and down the road, something won't be a burden to me or my family.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fuck that.

View Quote
This only works once they've inspected all the other stuff. Wiring, plumbing, etc. Once it's all 'done' then you can start changing/adding walls. They shouldn't have any reason to come back after the initial stuff, and tax people stay out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't tear down the cabin until you know you don't 'need' the existing structure. It could be too close to a river, too close to a hill, too small of a lot to build a new building on, etc etc.

SO many things people got away with back then that we can't do now.

You may need to replace one outside wall at a time, and tear up and repour crete at night. Then you're just improving/repairing and existing structure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm in NNY. Very rural NNY. About 6 years ago I bought 2 acres surrounded by hundreds (or thousands) of acres of state land on Tug Hill in the middle of nowhere. Seasonal road. Unplowed, it's a sled trail in the winter. Can't see the site from the road. Parked a camper there for a year, then had a local Mennonite guy build me a 14 x 36 cabin on skids. I prepped a site for it and he delivered it. The plan was to insulate it and finish the interior myself over the course of the summer. Apparently, google earth or something along that line had just updated their maps about that time. About 3 weeks after that, I go there and find a notice from the town building inspector taped to the front door. The note said to get in touch with him because I had no building permit on file. I met with him and told him I didn't think I needed one because it was in the middle of nowhere. He replied "even the middle of nowhere is somewhere". So I applied for the permit, received it and everything was cool after that. Bite the bullet and get a permit.
View Quote
That's not usually how it goes. You were lucky.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Last year, I spent entire day running between city offices to get the proper permits to just put a shed on my property.  And of course, one department was all the way across town.  

Anyway,  I finally get all the signatures and head back to the main permit office.   The lady takes my paperwork and walks into a back office.  About 10 minutes go by and she comes back to tell my.  "You cannot have a shed without having a house on the property"  Then  she asks "what are you doing with the shed"  

I explained that it was farm land and I just wanted somewhere to store equipment.    she then tells me "oh, you just need a farm affidavit"     I ask what's that?  Grab that piece of paper off the rack and just write shed for farming where it ask for what purpose.  

In 2 minutes I had a farm affidavit and was on my way. and it was FREE..........

Few days later, I stopped back in to ask about installing electrical service.  Do I need a permit? inspection, etc?

She tells me: "No, you have a farm affidavit, we just assume you know what your doing."

Check to see if you can get a farm affidavit for our project.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sadly it's the county that tested the Indiana cabin law.... Monroe but since they lost that case maybe they've learned their lesson

As for selling I don't plan to ever sell. I realize things happen and I might but honestly by that time I don't care of I have to tear it down. I'm looking at something like 10k in material... if they last me 20 years I'd probably be to the point I need to build again anyways
View Quote
That's a bummer, but you're still protected by the log-cabin law.

IIRC, when utilizing the log cabin law you still have to abide by many (all?) codes, especially waste water systems. And IIRC, it would be a no-no to tie your cabin into any existing waste-water system (septic system) until it's brought up to code. I would do some diligent homework before considering which path to take (fly under the radar, or go "log-cabin-law" route).

ETA, and be wary of ANY advice that anybody from another state gives you. State laws vary widely, good advice for one state is quite possibly horrible advice for another.

Oh, and howdy neighbor! I'm likely not too far from you, I'm a few miles south of the county line (in friendly territory)...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#46]
An engineer buddy of mine built a big qaunset type garage.

Did it to code but didn't get a permit because he lived off the beaten path.
 Building inspector fined him and told him to stop any more adding on to it.  He still has a huge hole open on the back side that he can't finish. Until he can prove he has proper to code foundation all around the thing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#47]
friend of mine bought a house with a barn.  He wanted to improve the look of the barn with new siding.
Turns out the local building inspector passed by my friends house going to work. Very small town.
The inspector stopped by and put a red, stop work order on the barn, and said to call his office.
The new siding is what caught the inspectors attention.  Turns out the barn was not located correctly, nor built to the original permit.  
To get things squared away cost about $20k.
Site engineering, Turns out his barn, and the volume of dirt it was built on would alter the 100 year flood water level.
He had to remove an equal amount of soil to compensate for what the barn was on.
Some of the fee was because the actual barn was bigger, and they multiplied the lost permit fees,by the barns age.
Inspector was a &&%%$.

My house and property are on a federal recognized scenic area.
Didn't know it until i wanted to modify my house.
There is a board of commissioners who review all changes.
I cannot change the color of my house without approval.

Should point out that my house is not visible from road or neighbors property.

Asinine.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Put a large shipping container on the property and make sure that it stays looking like a large shipping container.
View Quote
The conservation club I belong to added storage on the club property by bringing in some containers, and we had to clear them with the township.  We could've argued they are "temporary, however at some time the township will expect them to be gone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys suck :)  ..... now more than the permits themselves I'm worried the county will try to say I can't build where I'm intending to build.  It's six acres with a road splitting part of it, I'd say on one side of the road it's roughly four acres with two acres being a "pasture", this is where the current house sits.  I actually want to build on the opposite side of the road that's roughly two acres and butts right up to Hoosier National Forest.  My plan is to clear out roughly a quarter acre (actually clear more so the solar array gets more sun) and fence that in with 6' chain link.  Obviously I know I can't clear anything in the HNF but if the ass clowns try and tell me I can't clear/build because it's too close to the HNF or some shit I'll be pissed.

Would shit like that had to be written in the deed, meaning if there were restrictions would the deed have to spell it out?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#50]
You might want to talk to the land managers at HFN and see if they can tell you what the US Fed Forestry Service Standard is regarding building next to US Forest Property line.

I seriously doubt there is something unless you are building a Smelter, Strip Mine or Recycling center...   I'd see if you can get a response in writing from them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top