Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 3:11:04 PM EDT
I'm currently saving up money for either a suppressor (30cal) or night vision.  I don't NEED either one, but know each would be handy in their own rights and intend to have both eventually.  Obviously there is a huge price differential, so what would you go after first and why?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Suppressor. They work in daylight too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
While your waiting for what will seem like the rest of your life for the can save for the magic eye. Then get both. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeing in the dark IS a superpower.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Night vision is a bigger advantage than a suppressor . In a pinch you can make a suppressor . You can not easily make night vision
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Night vision is a bigger advantage than a suppressor . In a pinch you can make a suppressor . You can not easily make night vision
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You are looking at a year long wait, or longer at this point, for a suppressor. I bought a Silencerco Omega 30 last July, right before the 41F changes. I was told by the dealer last week that I should be able to get it out of NFA jail soon, as they've already received other approved F4's from suppressors purchased on the same date as mine.

If I was dead set on getting both, I'd go suppressor first, then save up for good night vision. If you buy the night vision now and save up to buy the suppressor later, you are going to have a long NFA wait in addition to how long you spent saving up. Night vision is a take it home the day you bought it kind of thing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Night vision
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Night vision.

I sold my night vision a few years ago to get some suppressors.  I didn't really ever use the NV soo....

To me now. I wish I never sold the NV.   Outside of .22 and 9mm,  I fully believe that a suppressor, when not using sub sonic ammo is a waste of money. It just doesn't get quiet enough to make that much of a difference.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have good Night Vision, and you shoot your target, ... "if there is a tree that falls in the forest and there is nobody around to hear it, does it make sound?"

Rancher
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I think IR/thermal would work a lot better for your needs than NV. Thermal comes down in price, as it's more like a digital camera than it is something of its own, where the methods and expense to make magnifier tubes for NV hasn't changed really.

As far as detection, NV is nothing compared to thermal.

So there's that.

As for a suppressor... helps if shooting inside a structure or car I guess. I've only shot with a suppressor once in my life, so don't want to speak too much to it.

The NVG's/NOD's versus thermal I can speak to. Used a lot of both as a scout in the army, and now use them both (mostly thermal) at my current work.

ETA: I have a NV weapons scope. Never hardly use it, which I think will be the case with NV even compared to thermal. Thermal works day or night. But a suppressor will give you the 'buyer satisfaction' of actually getting to use it a bit. I doubt NV will do that for you at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two suppressors. The one I use the most is for 22lr. If there is not any place near you where you can shoot without hearing protection. I would go for the night vision first. 

Whatever you do. Do not get a 22lr suppressor and load up your pistols or rifles with CCI Quiet or aguila colibri or Super colibri and shoot a targets with a multi phone book backstop in your home. I think that would be illegal almost anywhere.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#13]
NV is good, so long as you buy a good set.  The Gen1 stuff is hardly worth more than a night-adjusted human eye, if you face varied lighting conditions.  
Gen 3 is pretty impressive, but costly.

Suppressors are nice, too.  It's not the movies, so it's still loud, but for less-obtrusive practice or hunting, they are handy.  
Also, no one likes hearing loss!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Night vision
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
This is why I love this forum, you've all given me some things to think about.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Night vision,

You can't shoot what you can't see.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
In my case I spent money on the night vision first, then the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
My suggestion would be buy the suppressor first. The year long wait will give you time to save for NV or thermal (whichever you decide to go with) and then you will be able to pick both up at the same time 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Both?

They go hand in hand IMO.

Sneaking up on pigs to within 30 yards in pitch black dark is a life changing event. Shooting them at 30 yards and not waking the wife up at 1am because of the suppressor is another life changing event.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Night vision and it's not even close.  Iraq and Afghanistan combat vet.  Night vision is a whole different world as far as combat capability.  Pair it with an IR laser and its like cheating.

I own suppressors in .22,9mm,5.56mm,.30,and .338.  The only one that is really quiet is the .22.  The rest make the noise level at you better,reduce recoil,and lessen your signature.  They are NOT quiet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I would get the NV.  Loud or not, if you can't see it you can't shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I own the night and I get first shot, however loud
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for night vision and IR laser.

If you have even a modicum of mechanical aptitude, you can Form 1 some quality cans. I've got 3 titanium cans all built for under $275 each including mount (not including Uncle Sugar's tax) and, by all accounts from others that have built similar designs, they're as quiet as commercial cans. With the steel freeze plugs it does weigh as much as a commercial steel can though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#25]
NV.

They advantages have already been listed by everyone.

I found these in Amazon Warehouse for about 70% off.  They work pretty good.  They will suffice until I save to get a gen 3.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Night vision.

The goblins come out at night.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another vote for night vision and IR laser.
View Quote
My work rifle for my part-time job is a two stamp gun, an SBR M4 with a Silencerco can, Aimpoint and ATPIAL-C. Essentially set up the way my rifle was overseas. Had it at the range last week for my full-time job weapon qualifying since the guys had asked me to bring it.

One of the other instructors looked at it and almost screamed at me « what's WRONG with you!!!??». Keep in mind this was a four year project that finally got completed just a few months ago. This guys also a SWAT guy so it's not like he is unfamiliar with the gear or the concept behind it's use. But somehow in his mind this stuff being used b y general patrol officers, let alone the general public, is a bizarre concept. It's somewhat distressing to see such a closed mind from someone who should know better

One of these days I'll be out of this state and in a state where people don't look at these sorts of equipment as being unusual
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. 
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You are looking at a year long wait, or longer at this point, for a suppressor. I bought a Silencerco Omega 30 last July, right before the 41F changes. I was told by the dealer last week that I should be able to get it out of NFA jail soon, as they've already received other approved F4's from suppressors purchased on the same date as mine.

If I was dead set on getting both, I'd go suppressor first, then save up for good night vision. If you buy the night vision now and save up to buy the suppressor later, you are going to have a long NFA wait in addition to how long you spent saving up. Night vision is a take it home the day you bought it kind of thing.
View Quote
They are just about through the glut of forms prior to the rule change, and sales fell through the floor after. I'm guessing closer to six to eight months.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I want both.  NV and IR lasers are going to be way more than a 556 can.  Im buying the can first and during my wait am going to try and live strictly off free water from restaurants and noodles to try and afford what I want for NV and an ATPIAL
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
This x 87

There is a reason Night Stalkers own the night.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#32]
There is a huge difference in pricing that hasn't been mentioned so far.  To get night vision that is worth having, you are talking a LOT more than a good .30cal suppressor.

Cheap night vision is almost worthless, but good night vision is a bigger force multiplier than a suppressor would be.  What is in your budget?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is a huge difference in pricing that hasn't been mentioned so far.  To get night vision that is worth having, you are talking a LOT more than a good .30cal suppressor.

Cheap night vision is almost worthless, but good night vision is a bigger force multiplier than a suppressor would be.  What is in your budget?
View Quote
I'm figuring 3-4k for NV and around 1k for suppressor.
Sounds like a plan to get the ball rolling on the latter while saving for the former.  
I'm in no hurry, so have the luxury of shopping around and waiting on a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Thermal.

I just bought a gen 1+ ATN NV scope, and mounted a 600 lumen IR flashlight to it. Its good to about 100 yards on a pitch black night. Need to save back up for the IR laser. 

Since everything is green, harder to find your target. Thermal is a giant beacon coming from a warm blooded critter.

I got the scope cheap though, so that I why I actually have it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
PVS-14 still the recommended?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#37]
NV, but it will cost quite a bit more than most suppressors.  Don't even consider Gen 1 or 2 NV, IMO.  I have both of those and when I look through a friend's Gen 3, it's not even close.  If I had known, I wouldn't have bought the Gen 2...go straight to Gen 3.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the best head mountable night vision that you can afford and a IR laser for what ever you shoot with wether it be a pistol or a rifle. Seeing in the dark and being able to move with minimal signature is an absolute advantage, being able to shoot in the dark accurately is an advantage that can't be beat against 99% of others that can't.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
PVS-14 still the recommended?
View Quote
A monocular is probably the most versatile for handheld and mounted use. I have used a PVS-18 and it was awesome! But not $6k awesome to me to buy one. PVS-14 will get the job done for most.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Hands down NV. I have a Mini-14 I picked up years ago for a little over $2K. Worth every penny and then some.
Saving money for some quality thermals now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#41]
PVS-14 and DBAL or other Class 1 IR pointer/illuminator.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
NV.

They advantages have already been listed by everyone.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122302/IMG-1153-210201.jpg
I found these in Amazon Warehouse for about 70% off.  They work pretty good.  They will suffice until I save to get a gen 3.
View Quote
@fighter443 what are those?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Get that can! I would suggest a high quality hybrid. Buy once, cry once. And the hybrid will give you a few different caliber configurations. Best bang for your buck!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@fighter443 what are those?
View Quote
Luna Optics.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Without a doubt NV/thermal before suppressors.  I have a "big four" list that I feel is very important for any prepper.  I listed them in my priority as I feel they are all useful.  Of my list, the NV/thermal is a game changer.  Bad things happen in the dark.  As someone already pointed out...if things get that bad, there are improvised suppressor alternatives...same cannot be said for NV/thermal.

1) NV/thermal
2) suppressors
3) 50BMG
4) body armor
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm figuring 3-4k for NV and around 1k for suppressor.
Sounds like a plan to get the ball rolling on the latter while saving for the former.  
I'm in no hurry, so have the luxury of shopping around and waiting on a good deal.
View Quote
3-4k for the gen 3 monocular just gets you started.

Don't forget to budget for the helmet, ballistic or bump?  At absolute minimum, you could get a crye nightcap, but I would say get the bump helmet.  I have a night cap and like it, but would not want it to be my only option
You'll also need mount for the helmet, and don't forget the shroud too if youre going the nightcap route.
Counterweight?  Maybe.  Personal preference.

IR laser should be your next purchase after that.  MAWL  for 2500 or ATPIAL for 1300?  You may need a new mount for your flashlight after you put the IR laser on the AR.  You can go much cheaper with a laser only option but depending on how dark it is where you use it you may need a separate illuminator.

IR strobe?  IR flashlight?  I like my torch from TNVC a lot.  Lower powered IR light for helmet mounting?

You have no idea the money pit youre looking at OP, it's a hugely fun money pit, and I don't regret any of the stuff I got, but I went THOUSANDS over my initial budget simply because I didn't know what I didn't know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

3-4k for the gen 3 monocular just gets you started.

Don't forget to budget for the helmet, ballistic or bump?  At absolute minimum, you could get a crye nightcap, but I would say get the bump helmet.  I have a night cap and like it, but would not want it to be my only option
You'll also need mount for the helmet, and don't forget the shroud too if youre going the nightcap route.
Counterweight?  Maybe.  Personal preference.

IR laser should be your next purchase after that.  MAWL  for 2500 or ATPIAL for 1300?  You may need a new mount for your flashlight after you put the IR laser on the AR.  You can go much cheaper with a laser only option but depending on how dark it is where you use it you may need a separate illuminator.

IR strobe?  IR flashlight?  I like my torch from TNVC a lot.  Lower powered IR light for helmet mounting?

You have no idea the money pit youre looking at OP, it's a hugely fun money pit, and I don't regret any of the stuff I got, but I went THOUSANDS over my initial budget simply because I didn't know what I didn't know.
View Quote
That's why I'm here asking for input.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Without a doubt NV/thermal before suppressors.  I have a "big four" list that I feel is very important for any prepper.  I listed them in my priority as I feel they are all useful.  Of my list, the NV/thermal is a game changer.  Bad things happen in the dark.  As someone already pointed out...if things get that bad, there are improvised suppressor alternatives...same cannot be said for NV/thermal.

1) NV/thermal
2) suppressors
3) 50BMG
4) body armor
View Quote
Interesting, why 50 before body armor?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Not even a question.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top