Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 7:52:05 AM EDT
I bought a neat little boy scout hatchet at the flea market last week for $5. The week before I bought a nice old boy scout hatchet handle.

This is the handle.

I utterly failed to take before pictures. It took an hour to clean up the head with a wire brush and some good old fashion sweat. This is what I saw after clean up.

This is my final product. Ignore my imperfect grinding. I need to buy some new belts.

It doesn't have a nail puller which is part of what got me interested in buying it. As I understand it the nail notch was added in 1913 as an improvement. If I am right about it this axe is from 1911 to 1912.

The head is about 1 lb 1 oz. so it's smaller than a normal Boy's Scout hatchet. The hatchet weighs 1 lb 5 oz with the handle. I really slimmed down the Boy Scout handle so all the paint had to go.

Pretty neat and rare tool.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Be Prepared !
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Listen here, Bat.  You stay away from the Hartville fleamarket this summer.  You hear me?!?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Listen here, Bat.  You stay away from the Hartville fleamarket this summer.  You hear me?!?  
View Quote
Do you have an address?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you got the handle too close to the fire, its all burned.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You sure about the date on the nail puller? I posted pics of my Dad's BSA hatchet in the other axe thread, and I didn't think it was that old. I'll ask him about it when I see him today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I found a similar Plumb hatchet today at a estate sale for $1.50.  It looked so neglected I had to rescue it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top