Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 3:38:30 PM EDT
I actually bought 4 axes this weekend, but two of them are already works in progress so I didn't even take pictures of them yet. One is a no name half hatchet I bought for $3 that will become a chicken hawk for my wife. The other is a badly treated Plumb boyscout hatchet I bought for $5. Those I will post later.

These two were special or I would have passed on them. Both came on handles but I already removed one and sawed off the other. The Sager is a really nicely proportioned full sized 3 to 3.5 lb head with a decent edge on it and not a lot of work that needs to be done. I have a 32" House handle on it's way for it. I'll clean it up a bit and hang it. I paid $8

The other is an unmarked True Temper Jersey. I can say for sure that it is a True Temper because the profile is right and the eye ridges are right too. It's not terribly old, but it will clean up beautifully. I'm going to polish this one and give it a deep, dark, rich blued finish. Then I'm going to put it on a 28" handle, which is pretty short for this type of axe. The head weighs 3.5 lbs and it has a very wide cutting edge. I cannot wait to see how this one turns out. I am going to do a pretty heavy torching on the handle and then provincial stain. Then I think I'll do 5 to 6 coats of boiled linseed oil with a scuff  in between coats and a vigorous rub down on each coat to get the sheen up just a bit. It may end up the prettiest axe I own. I paid $10.

Both handles will end up around $15 each with shipping.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm starting to not like you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
do you sell those, or keep em all
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I've only sold a couple. I don't really focus on full sized axes very much but I buy nice ones when I can get a good deal. I've given far more of them away. I might sell my American Beauty because it is a very beautiful axe and it belongs in the collection of someone who appreciates beauty as much as function. With the bluing job I did on it I am sure it will fetch over $100 on ebay.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've only sold a couple. I don't really focus on full sized axes very much but I buy nice ones when I can get a good deal. I've given far more of them away. I might sell my American Beauty because it is a very beautiful axe and it belongs in the collection of someone who appreciates beauty as much as function. With the bluing job I did on it I am sure it will fetch over $100 on ebay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After your stepson joined the site he says he posted a few on the ee.  He posted something about taking the funds and buying some fancy boom box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top