Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2017 3:25:59 PM EDT
This photo is of one of the major roads leaving from Houston during the Hurricane Rita evacuation with people watching the hurricane approach for several days and approx. 12-24 hours after being told "the time for waiting is over."  Some friends of mine were in their cars 11 hours and never got outside the city - they decided to turn around and sit it out at home.  Thousands of people ran out of gas sitting in traffic and all the stations were empty.  Do you think the guy stuck in traffic next to you out of gas will smile when he sees you fill your vehicle with one of your 6 cans of fuel?  Hurricane Rita hit a month after Katrina, so everyone took the warnings seriously and left as soon as they could.  Would your vehicle be stuck in these 100-mile long traffic jams, or would you have left earlier than 24 hours?  

What do you think the roads would look like with no warning to evacuate?  Do you think you could get out ahead of them?  Do you have secondary roads mapped out?  My 2-lane road 55 miles north of Baton Rouge was a solid line of cars leaving the Baton Rouge area, but still moving along pretty good.  Think outside the box: something to consider - my XT250 dual sport motorcycle gets around 160 miles per 2.6 gallon tank on dirt roads - it might have made it through the photo below on the shoulders or where there was a median.  Can you get a boat to a major river (that doesn't meander too badly)?

The time to plan your getaway is NOW.  Having a place to bug out to is the subject of other threads.  When people were evacuating from Katrina, they had to drive 500+ miles to find a vacant motel room.  One family I know drove 600 miles from Kenner LA to Knoxville TN before they could get a room.

Not everyone is threatened by Hurricanes, but the actual real-life problems encountered during these evacuations should be considered in your planning for any evacuation scenario.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/us/nationalspecial/miles-of-traffic-as-texans-heed-order-to-leave.html?_r=0

This photo shows counterflow in progress, with 19 lanes outgoing and 1 lane (far right service road) incoming.  Counterflow traffic has it's own issues and never seems to work as well as planned, but is often better than no plan at all.  Houston's population grew 22% in the 8 years since Katrina/Rita in 2005.  I doubt an evacuation today would be any more successful.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Tiny increases in traffic produces gridlock. If 10% of the population hits the highway, there will be a parking lot as far as you can see, in most situations..
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I bugged out from Houston for Rita in 2005. Got out of the city early enough to avoid that mess, but I-10 was a mess all the way to San Antonio, and what's usually a 3 hour trip turned into a 9 hour trip. I was in the National Guard at the time, had been released from Operation Katrina duty to get family to safety, and after getting my family to safety had to turn right around and drive back to Houston to work Rita... Interesting times.

My biggest mistake was bugging out in the first place. IMHO determining whether to bug out is arguably more important than when to do it. Even had the hurricane hit Houston directly it's unlikely that we'd have sustained more than some downed trees or maybe broken windows. Should have just remained in place. A few years later when Ike hit Houston directly, we stayed home and rode it out. Had some minor damage and lost power for a week or so, but nothing we couldn't handle easily.

If it's a situation in which you *must* leave immediately (chemical spill or something), then you'd better be quick, because gridlock takes only a matter of minutes to set in. And if you think you're going to be sly and take the back roads, think again. Everyone has a map in their pocket now with their phones and will be thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Very little could cause me to bug out, especially emergency situations. I am pretty much limited to HAZMAT spills, in which case there isn't enough of a population out here to worry about gridlock. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not worried about bugging out, or traffic. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The thought and planning for bugging out of South jersey gives me nightmares.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
GET OUT NOW!  That is the only way to be sure...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Motorcycles, horses, bicycles or on foot, unless you have a plane or helicopter at your house.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Bugged out to a small town a long time ago.
But wife wants to travel in an RV and staying aware of things to head home early on will be important.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Bugging out of Hampton Roads is a nightmare and a joke. Most people have no idea of the back ways out of this area. I like it that way.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bugging out of Hampton Roads is a nightmare and a joke. Most people have no idea of the back ways out of this area. I like it that way.
View Quote
Heck, just driving the main roads, particularly in the summer tourist season, is a nightmare. Can't imagine what would happen if the cretins were to suddenly start a stampede. There are very few major arteries that don't go thru other highly populated cities. And, as soon as you get out of the city, the number of lanes drops by 2/3. The bridge/tunnels would likely be shut down because they'd be rushing to get their flood gates up. The planned hurricane evac routes are a joke and hopelessly undersized to handle the literally millions of people living in Hampton Roads now. So, pretty much, if you have to leave with everybody else, you can't.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I knew many of us were already living in our bug out location and would poke our heads out of our burrows and yell "MOVE."  I, too have only lived in small towns and rural areas since I left the Baltimore/DC area in 1969.  

However, there are some youngsters out there that need to do some realistic evaluations of their plans.  Some folks have worked on their bug out locations but only have nebulous plans on how to get there when the flags go up.  Timing is the key to evacuation and an hour or two delay in starting may mean you won't make it.  If it is 2:00-3:00AM, don't wait til morning - leave NOW.  If you are evacuating, it means that you and your family's lives are potentially in danger.  Don't spend precious time putting paper towels, emptying your gun safe, ammo hoard, and the kids favorite toys into the "bug out vehicle or trailer."  All that stuff is just stuff - let it go and just go.

If a fire is coming over the mountain, a chemical-laden train is on fire, or the nuclear plant is in meltdown, the deputies knocking on your door will be making you leave now or maybe within 5 minutes, leaving all your pets, 11,000 rounds of .22LR, beanie baby collection and everything else behind.  In this case, the bug out bags you made up last summer may not be current if you haven't maintained them, replaced the batteries in the lights and radios, and copied your computer files recently.  

With hurricanes, you can have several days of warning to prepare to evacuate, and as shown in the Houston photo, very few people took advantage of that time.  Forest fires usually can be seen coming, but it's amazing how many people wait until their shingles are smoldering before they start packing their car.  Try not to be like these people.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Something also to consider is the stupidity of people.  

I was in Virginia last week and we ended up in pumper to pumper traffic for about half an hour at what I was told was an unusual time for such traffic.  I thought it must have been a large traffic accident or something of that nature...

...It turned out that a cop had simple pulled someone over for speeding.  That is all.  Everyone was rubbernecking, which caused traffic to slow down and then virtually stop for those far enough behind them.

Now imagine what will happen with a small crisis and someone gets in a wreck at some point in that same traffic congestion as everyone is trying to get out of dodge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I was living in an apartment in Edison New Jersey back in the late 80’s and was told to get out twice, once for fire and once for flood.  A few things stuck with me and have influenced my preps, such as they are.  An overriding influence is being a suburbanite.  Someone living rural will no doubt have a different perspective and come to different conclusions about what’s right or wrong.

First, you can’t count on having enough information to make good choices.  You may have several days’ notice about a hurricane but there are lots of things that can come out of nowhere to turn your life upside down.  In both cases for me I was awakened from a sound sleep by a first responder banging on the door yelling “GET OUT NOW”.  These folks don’t spend any time answering your questions or explaining to you the precise nature of the disaster.  They just make sure you’re up and then they move on to the next door.  I knew there was a fire and I knew there was a flood and that’s about it.  You often see responses to questions about what to pack that include the words “It depends”.  No it doesn’t.  Your BOB needs to be as broad based and flexible as you can make it because you can’t count on knowing the nature or duration of the event.  You might, you just can’t count on it.  

Second, you may have very little time to get out.  Like a couple of minutes or less.  You need to have at least the basics ready to go immediately.  I knew a girl who was living in the Durham Woods apartments in Edison in ’94 when the pipeline that ran by blew up.  Google it.  Seconds may count.

Third, other people can (will?) get in the way.  If the disaster is bad enough to get you moving then it’s probably getting everyone around you moving too, all at the same time.  Being a suburbanite, that may mean millions of people on the move.  My apartment was kind of at the end of the line and by the time I was up and out for the flood the only way out of the parking lot was blocked by the cars of people who had tried to drive out and failed.  My truck could have made it through the water but not through the stuck cars.  My flood turned out to be a very local event but we’ve all seen these pics posted by the OP before.  You can’t count on being the first guy out or having a clear path to get where you want to go.  People are going to run out of gas, get in accidents or break down in just the right spot to block you from going anywhere.  Because of all this and more, you better be prepared to walk if you have to, carrying the essentials you need to get by.

When it comes to the BOB, it’s not easy to balance the first (broad based and flexible) with the third (easily carried) but the older I’ve gotten the smaller my BOB has become.  Other life lessons have influenced it but basically I’ve come to understand you don’t need to pack the kitchen sink.  A few trusted things can see you through most of life’s awful moments, at least for a while.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
The problem with Rita was when they gave the word for coastal ares to evacuate, everyone in the Houston area decided to evacuate.  I don't know if the staged evacuation that was intended would have worked (I suppose it would have in theory ??), but the reality was gridlock and a stripping of the store shelves of stock.  

The problem with Houston is the exits out of the city are limited to a few main highways (I-45, I-10, 290, & 59) and there are limited backroads.

The lesson I learned, get out the day before or figure on riding it out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The problem with Rita was when they gave the word for coastal ares to evacuate, everyone in the Houston area decided to evacuate.  I don't know if the staged evacuation that was intended would have worked (I suppose it would have in theory ??), but the reality was gridlock and a stripping of the store shelves of stock.  

The problem with Houston is the exits out of the city are limited to a few main highways (I-45, I-10, 290, & 59) and there are limited backroads.

View Quote
The problem with Rita was that we'd just watched Katrina unfold, and the entire city panicked and decided to get the hell out of there. We'd forgotten that it wasn't our first rodeo, and we'd ridden out bad storms and hurricanes before.

Contrast it with Ike a few years later - which was a much, much worse storm than Rita and caused significantly more damage, and which we all pretty much knew was coming our way - and you see the difference. In Rita, the city was thinking about Katrina, and in Ike, it was thinking about what a clusterfuck Rita was - and decided to stay home.

So the problem with Rita was that everyone - city officials included - made the wrong decision to evacuate, when only the coastal areas really needed to evacuate. the city collectively made the wrong decision, due to irrational fears derived from recent visions of Katrina. By the time Ike rolled around most of the city remembered how to deal with hurricanes and made the correct decision not to BO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget that all those people in the picture were heading somewhere for their bugout. I lived in DFW during those times and while we didn't get any bad weather really we did get a butt load of people. Resources held up ok for the short term. Some gas stations were low on fuel and some common resources ran low for awhile.

Supposedly? a lot of the shipments of fuel for N. Texas  were routed to the evacuation routes to try to keep the folks moving along. Same with bottle water, generators, etc. I get it and have no problems with getting stuff to the folks that need it. Just a heads up for those not evacuating because you may be the place they are evacuating to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
The gas stations along the evac routes all ran out of gas, as well as food and water. Keep the tanks full and keep food and water in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Lots of great information, truth and discussion in this thread. My solution, and I think the best one is to bug out of major cities and population centers right now. Go.

Living rural gives me major peace of mind. I love to go to the city, but I love coming home so much more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've had my share and have witnessed a couple "mass exodus" events.  Having a decision matrix and getting that early decision to launch is critical...this is where indecisiveness could kill you.  If for whatever reason you can't beat the crowds, you may very well be better off bugging in unless you're in a flood zone or in the direct path of a major storm.  Those massive, mobile traffic jams are a nightmare...no thank you!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm glad some of you guys mentioned about Hampton Roads, as I live in Virginia Beach.  The evacuation plan is ridiculous, no way in hell that would work with the population that keeps on growing here on the southside.  My plan of action is to bug out before everybody else does.  And yes there are backroads, just not many exits to take.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#29]
If that kind of evac scenario hits Hampton Roads we are just fucked.  No amount of pre-planning can help when you have a small handful of river crossing chokepoints, the main ones of which are tunnels and will be unusable.  Going south would be the only option, which is still a pretty bad one given that's where the hurricane is going to be coming from, and it's swamp down there.  Best to ride it out.  I'm on a third floor apartment, should only have to worry about the roof getting torn off/tree falling on it.  Downside is I rarely have stored food.  I live like a college kid eating boxed dinners and fast food all the time.  I'm getting better about water, have a few large containers these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have an off road capable vehicle following railroads or utilizing jeep trails if your area has them aren't a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've lived in N. Ga for all of my 47 years and have never seen an evacuation event.  My grandfather lived here since 1900 (he passed in 98) and couldn't recall one.

We live in the suburbs because of the schools for our kids.  The wife and I would rather be in Blue Ridge or Blairsville (pop. 500-ish), but it doesn't make sense for our family or our jobs.  The only scenarios I can foresee that would rate bugging out, would make the area impossible to bug out from.
View Quote
DAMN SHE'S HOT!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#32]
like Rock6, I have a pre determined fail safe point ... I live on the central Gulf Coast of Florida, about 3miles inland at 32' elevation... on site hand pump well... old frame home with 5 year old roof with peel and stick under layer that has gone 125mph sustained...my matrix is to board up for a high CAT3 and for anything higher a short distance evacuation to a relative's post Andrew code block home with well and whole house gen system... I have a light weight utility trailer and a small PU truck for most of my valuables ala "place with no name" evacuation as Mr Broccoli commented
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Why run from a hurricane?  I've never understood this.

If your area is low, and could go under, absolutely.  I was in Chalmette 2 days, and for months after Katrina, and saw things you would not believe.

But otherwise, why?  

I've sat through many.  Alicia in Houston, Fredrick in Mobile, Ivan in Mobile, and Katrina in Madisonville.  Rain, wind, trees fall, some hit house, scary, but that's it.

You're not some kind of bad ass if you stay, frankly I think it's more risky to run.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If your area is low, and could go under, absolutely.  I was in Chalmette 2 days, and for months after Katrina, and saw things you would not believe.

But otherwise, why?  

I've sat through many.  Alicia in Houston, Fredrick in Mobile, Ivan in Mobile, and Katrina in Madisonville.  Rain, wind, trees fall, some hit house, scary, but that's it.

You're not some kind of bad ass if you stay, frankly I think it's more risky to run.
View Quote
I would evacuate if its an absolute must.  I'm in Virginia Beach, VA and yes it can risk flooding, especially tidal flooding.  But I've never evacuated as I had ridden out all the hurricanes.  Here in Hampton Roads, the media likes to hype up these storms when they are no more than just a really violent thunderstorm.  By the time hurricanes reach Virginia they are on its way of weakening and off to a different path.  My best bet would be to head west and away from the coast.  Running north would still put you in the path.  Luckily hurricanes are the only thing we deal with over here and they really aren't that bad like some other places have it.  Maybe had 1 or 2 big ones that did some damage in the past 30 years I've lived here.  But like I said, I would evacuate for the right hurricane, and be one of the first to leave early.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I rode out Hurricane Katrina in Gulfport,Mississippi on the SeaBee base one mile off shore ( not by choice, I was stationed there ) and have no intentions of dealing with that again.  I am in Jacksonville,FL and bugged out two days before Hurricane Matthew got close.  I would have probably rode it out if I was by myself, but having a 2 year old and a 8 month pregnant wife at the time, it was not even an consideration.  Leaving 48 hours prior, I had no issues on the road and ironically went back to Mississippi to ride hand with the in-laws.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But otherwise, why?  

View Quote
I guess that would depend on the hurricane.  Google pictures of the damage Andrew did.  There's a heck of a difference between a Cat 1 and a Cat 5.  Given some of the failures we've seen I don't think trusting the weather service to accurately predict what's going to arrive is a particularly good idea.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I have all my preps/ supplies here.  I'm to old/ broken to even consider bugging out.

I'm staying here and guarding my stuff/ family.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have all my preps/ supplies here.  I'm to old/ broken to even consider bugging out.

I'm staying here and guarding my stuff/ family.
View Quote
All of us will get to this stage in life (I'm hoping to push it out another 35-40 years).  At some point bugging out would likely kill you more than facing a hurricane.  Harry Randall Truman was 83 and when Mount Saint Helens threated, he basically gave her the middle finger; he didn't bug out and died.  At that age, it's hard to argue with his decision despite the outcome.  Much depends on the situation, family, etc.  I wouldn't put myself at risk if I had worried grandkids or if another family member was dependent on me.  When your time is up, it's up.  When the reaper comes, I would much rather look him in the eye and spit in his face rather than getting jacked from behind when running away...of course that could just be the extra beer talking  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to live in Florida before I moved to Ga. I stopped bugging out from hurricanes while I lived down there .
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#40]
The only thing I may have to evacuate is a Yellowstone explosion, in which case I cannot possibly drive fast enough to escape.  Even if I had the road to myself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I am pretty certain that I won't ever have to 'bug out'.   Advanced age and infirmities pretty much exclude my hitting the road with a pack.  Still have the BOB, and it gets inventoried, topped off, from time to time, but it is not likely to ever be used now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm glad some of you guys mentioned about Hampton Roads, as I live in Virginia Beach.  The evacuation plan is ridiculous, no way in hell that would work with the population that keeps on growing here on the southside.  My plan of action is to bug out before everybody else does.  And yes there are backroads, just not many exits to take.
View Quote
Unless you are heading west though Suffolk, you are limited to three ways out: HRBT, MM or Ches. Bridge/Tunnel.  I drive through two of those a number of times each year.  Most of those times the two tunnels are congested.  I can't imagine the SNAFU there if the balloon goes up.  I participated in an exercise where 64was closed eastbound to put the contra flow (all those little gates on every exit on the east bound lanes) in place a number of years ago.  It is a flawed plan at best.  All traffic is going west bound (in the east bound lanes) until you get to Richmond/295.  There they plan on routing traffic back correctly with alternating feeds.  I can tell you that on a Sunday morning at 0500 it was a clusterfuk.  I hope you have plenty of advance warning.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#44]
bug out before it becomes a Bug out situation.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Very little could cause me to bug out, especially emergency situations. I am pretty much limited to HAZMAT spills, in which case there isn't enough of a population out here to worry about gridlock. 
View Quote
This. I'll plug the generator in and watch the fake news if it gets that bad
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Something interesting I found recently...
I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and my BOL is my farm 108 miles away in center of state north of Lake O.  It usually takes be 125 minutes from my driveway to the farm gate by the fastest route but I know 11 other routes including 5 which requires driving on farm/dirt roads and levy roads.  Couple weeks ago I looked up on Google Map, MapQuest, Waze, etc. to see all the different roads I could take to get from my house to my farm and found 19 different routes some which takes you through roads which doesn't exist yet.
So if you think you'll bug out quickly through your secret route, forget it, as thousands of others will be on that same road following direction from one of the direction app.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The thought and planning for bugging out of South jersey gives me nightmares.
View Quote
allow me to help you feel better...I live on Long Island
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

allow me to help you feel better...I live on Long Island
View Quote
This right here.  Ain't going nowhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Unless you have a boat, you're not leaving the San Francisco Bay Area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top