Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2017 5:42:26 PM EDT
Hey all - slept in my safe room for the first time and realized that a small fan would be nice to have, especially if the AC is out.  I'm using two PC fans to create some rudimentary air circulation in there, but they're not set up to blow onto us, but they do move a lot of air, are quiet, and don't use much power, which is ideal of a survival situation.  I could use another PC fan, but it would be nice to have something already in some sort of a housing that can easily be aimed - anybody got any recommendations?  Got several large batteries but they do have to power lighting and other things, so would like to keep them reasonable as far as power consumption.

Many thanks, all!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What is not a lot of draw?

They make 12v fans, but the more air you want to move the more power you need
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the Ozark Trails (O2 Cool 10", 12vdc brand) fan five years back and it's been fine for summer duty out on the patio, when it's humid out and I'm smoking a cigar.

Runs on 8 D size batteries, or it has a 12vdc barrel connector.  I can run it off of a 12v AC wall wart, 8 D batteries, or I can run it off a 12vdc SLA AGM battery with a little barrel connector and alligator cord I fashioned out of parts.  I need to go back and get another one.  I paid about $15, same as the link and I've seen them for $25 at Target, under the O2 Cool banner.

It's pretty efficient and 8 batteries will last a long time on low, or high.

O2 Cool 12vdc 10" fan at Walmart

Chris
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There are USB desk fans out there, too. Not much actual air movement but it helps you feel cooler if it is fairly close and pointed right at you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
not 12v... you can add a model airplane propeller via collet adapter to move a lot more air in a small tent fan.. .I use one on a Coleman tent fan (single D cell)in place of the stock foam propeller... I use it as a motor for my ceiling fan... this model has a magnetic base, and works as  a stand alone fan... will run 9+ hours on a new carbon zinc D cell or 6+ on a pair of Eneloop AAs in an adapter... I have attempted to standardize my hurricane electronics to AA Eneloop

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Some great ideas here, all - many thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of these in the boat cabin, and it does a decent job of moving air around for the size.  They also have some more expensive models that have a lower draw than this one.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/caframo--two-speed-compact-12v-dc-fan--P012_361_002_511?recordNum=15
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to the usb fans during hurricane Mathew.   They are a great low power option.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I mounted a high-output 12v fan (actually used a radiator fan), powered by a deep cycle battery.  The fan speed is controlled by a pwm fan controller.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mounted a high-output 12v fan (actually used a radiator fan), powered by a deep cycle battery.  The fan speed is controlled by a pwm fan controller.
View Quote
Yeah, there are lots of options out there, but for something portable, which works on AC, D batteries, or a 12v SLA, the 02 Cool works pretty well and was cheap.  The input needs a 500mA adapter, so even on high, it's not sucking a lot of juice.  They've moved on from that model and the newer ones add a USB charging port and now run on 6 D batteries, but my version is still around.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one of these in the boat cabin, and it does a decent job of moving air around for the size.  They also have some more expensive models that have a lower draw than this one.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/caframo--two-speed-compact-12v-dc-fan--P012_361_002_511?recordNum=15
View Quote
+1 on the Caframo.  They do not make a single bad product.  I use one nightly in the bedroom of the RV.  

Stellar products
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Large diameter PC cooling fans (the low RPM "quiet" type) would perform very well in this application, I'd stay with your current solution.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
just a comment... in the 04 nine day hurricane power outage the inside of my house did not get below 90F until close to midnight daily... the original small diameter tent fan that I described barely did the job, hence the ceiling fan motor... if you live down south, move as much air as you can....BTDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just a comment... in the 04 nine day hurricane power outage the inside of my house did not get below 90F until close to midnight daily... the original small diameter tent fan that I described barely did the job, hence the ceiling fan motor... if you live down south, move as much air as you can....BTDT
View Quote
I'm in Miami and it was only 18 hours for Andrew and 15 hours for Wilma, but my GF, uncle and boss lost their power in Wilma for 14 days, 7 days and 21 days, so unless you have the cash to stay in a hotel that has power for that long, you want to be as comfortable as possible, especially if you have some square footage to deal with.

10" fans move some air and don't put too much of a drain on things.  12v SLA AGM with a solar charger could be just the ticket in the hotter climes.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Fan

I bought a small 18650 battery powered fan for the tent. I use 18650 batteries for all kinds of things so that was my main reason for picking it.

Needless to say, this thing has been amazing. It will practically take flight on high and runs forever even on the low capacity battery that's included. You can charge directory with micro usb.

Also was a life saver in two power outages last summer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
If you start looking at other odds and ends run a search for what people are putting in their rv.  There is one, maxxair maybe, that is dang near universally loved and has a remote.

Year it is made to be a vent in the roof of an rv, but it has a frame and would not be hard to do something with.

The remote and being reversible might be nice as well.

I think you will do fine with what has been said, but if you start searching more and more some of the rv stuff should work well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Usb fan (desk or stroller) and a usb battery bank.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
On the inverters, watch your sizes and what they have.  The bigger invertors will have cooling fans and if you don't need that much power keep that in mind.

We had threads back when a bunch of invertors were being cleared out.

I consider them a bit like gas cans.

I have my tiny invertor that can go in the cigarette socket and charge something smallish.

I have a bigger one that needs to clip onto the battery cause it can draw enough power to blow the cigarrette lighter if you rigged it up to use that.

I then have an even bigger one, with a cooling fan built in, for bigger stuff.

And with that said, more I mess with solar and bigger batteries I am going to be buying some monster size, to me anyway, invertors before too long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top