Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 10:43:58 AM EDT
First let me state: yes the main is open. This morning we lost power at 0710. I installed a US  Carbeuration Motor Snorkel natural gas conversion on my Honeywell 5500 portable generator a couple of years ago figuring that would ensure that I'd never need it again. I also installed 8/3 MC from my garage to a 50 amp breaker in the panel so I could backfeed. Also to ensure that I'd probably never need it. When we bought the generator we were without power for 5 days and essential stuff was hooked up with extension cords and I was having to find 8 gallons of gas a day. So,  I spent approximately $300 on the NG set up,  hose, valves etc. And $100 for backfeed stuff I couldn't scrounge. But,  I never hooked it all up and tested the entire system. Until today. It took a half hour for my wife and daughter to position the generator, me too hook up the gas hose and cord. All breakers off, generator started and started loading it up. According to power company, we should have service back by 1130. The current balance looks pretty good, leaving enough to carry the furnace should the power fail come winter. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats...I have a similar setup with an 8500...I use an interlock to make sure there's no trouble.  I have a motor snorkel on the generator.  My only problem is that I haven't run NG to where the generator would be yet..
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet. 

I have yet to use my tri fuel, since us carb had that sale last year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Due my back injury, wife and 12 year old daughter had to do the heavy (> 10 lbs) lifting for me, which was good so they will have seen it should I have to talk them through it sometime. My gas hose uses 3/4 inch flare fittings because I know how to use wrenches and the quick connects were another $65 for each end. I had a local hose shop make it up using LP gas rated hose. I unhook and cap all connections when not in use. But power is back on and it's all being stowed right now. I have a checklist next to the breaker panel which kept me from getting ahead of myself also. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Good deal, now add some pictures and those of us which are mentally challenged will appreciate it more.

Bill

I will need to take pictures of my transfer switch install to post up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top