Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2017 9:27:19 PM EDT
Thanks for stopping in to read. I've lived in large cities or urban areas my entire life. Up my neck in liberals. I work in tech, and have a job that can't be done remotely and that I can't find steady work doing outside of a city.

I'm a single guy, single income, no kids, no debt, in an outrageously expensive city. But I think I'll be dead and buried before I can move out to a more rural area, which is my long term goal. The rural areas around my city have a serious employment problem. Every wall of every gas station is covered in flyers from people looking for any odd-job work they can find, and I have a feeling that this scene is becoming more and more common around America. It also brings with it meth problems.

Have any city-dwellers like me managed to successfully leave their careers and urban surroundings behind, and strike out for a more remote life? What the hell do guys like us do for work or income? Does the cost of living drop so dramatically that money isn't all that important anymore? I'm paying $1,600/mo for a 650sqft 1br, so it can't get much worse.

I'm dying to make some progress on this goal, but obviously everyone I know in the cities... live in cities. They can't really offer much advice. I'd greatly appreciate any that you ARFCommers were willing to share.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Change states for starters.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
OP what do you do in tech? Maybe an arfcommer knows of an opening or something
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
One word:  commute
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I did exactly that 10 years ago.
Dally commute is one hour each way. Gas is dirt cheap in this country.  Get a comfortable commute vehicle.
Heck, I learned one more language by listening to CDs while commuting to work. Ham radios in my vehicle keep me entertained during the commute as well. It's no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The southeast typically has a lower cost of living than the NW or NE. There is still enough population density and a good enough economy for decent jobs. Pick a metropolitan area with <250k population. Drive 30 minutes out and you'll be fairly rural. It may mean a pay cut but you have to take the bad with the good sometimes.

There is a goldmine of demographic data available from census.gov quickfacts. Research thoroughly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive 80 miles a day (round trip) to avoid living in the big city

totally worth it
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Seeing that your in Washington like me, I live in a pretty rural area but work in Bellevue/Seattle. You just have to be willing to commute. I drive 60 miles one way to work, but I have three acres, with state forest land behind that and national forest land behind that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Commute
move to a different state
change your line of work
change your standard of living

I've said for years: Those people in NYC that have shitty apartments that sell for half a million could sell their shit to more NYC folks and move to practically anywhere and retire. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You probably are going to have to move.  There are lots of opportunities for hard workers.  Still plenty.  

If you can't move, then commute.  Get a car with good gas mileage, that is comfortable to drive and reliable.

There are plenty of places that have a lower cost of living.  In most of the southern states, you can be out in the country in 30 minutes from most larger areas where there are jobs.  $1600 could make a payment on a fairly nice house and 2 car payments where I'm at.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't look at it strictly through the rural-urban standpoint.  Look at the different regions of the county.  Some rural areas are dying, other are growing and bustling.

I'm in sales.  It's a skillset that opens a lot of doors, in just about any area of the country.  I came to Michigan for the job, but I could have just as easily landed not-quite-as-great-of-a-job in thirty other places.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What part if the shithole of Washington are you in?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like you need to move to another city, maybe another State to where people are somewhat more like minded. Still people come in all sorts, so you also have to learn to deal with people just being different at some point.
Commuting is a good option, try not to spend 2 hours of your life every day sitting in the car, but it is an alternative. Even better, find a way  to work from home. In pretty much every field theres a way or an alternative in  which you can make it work,  either your line of work or something somewhat similar. Working from home not only means no more commute,  no more office BS, it also means you can work during disasters that would disrupt transportation and, key for serious SHTF events and bugging out,  it sometimes means you can work from anywhere in the world.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Commute.
80 a day is what I do.
My property taxes are under 1k a gear iirc.
My buddy in town where I work ,4k.
Avg market rent here is 700$,avg in town for a 2+2 1-1200sq ft is 1100$++
Avg house cost is well over 125k for anything worth a dawn with a nice lot. That's a home that can be 30-50+++ years old. New construction runs mid 200s on a small lot(1/8-1/4 acre if that). Cost here can range from 50k to 2million.
Mine ran sub 60k ...but I shopped around and seller was itching.

Median income for my area sucks ,under 30k a year . Most folks commute anyway. Even in town. People will drive from the coast to the larger inland areas for work.

You want it.
Youll do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Hire a employment headhunter and establish parameters for location.

Ask yourself if you're really happy with your location, sometimes mindset can be changed a bit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I see a few options for you.

You could buy a piece of land 30-60 minutes outside of the town you're in. Go there for the weekends, leaving straight from work on Friday.

Find a tech job that you could do remotely. One that comes to mind is PC board design.

Move to a state with a lower cost of living and with a smaller city so a commute from outside of town would be less of a hassle.

$1600 a month for that size apartment you must be in Seattle. Is it feasible for you to have a boat that you could take across the sound and live on, on the weekends?

ETA: is any of this affordable and if not is it possible to cut expenses buy have a roommate so you can you can afford it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
it's how I feel. I hate it where I am, it's loud, too many people, etc. But I HATE commuting and I can't do what I'm doing elsewhere. So my plan is just save up a shit ton of money and invest. My wife and I make 2-4x what we did when we lived more rurally. So if we bank a ton, we can take that and live without worrying about work so much. Finally do something you want to do, like open up a little bar or BBQ place, or just fish all day.

The school systems here are also significantly better than back in the woods. My current plan is be able to walk for good when the kiddo gets to college. 17 more years to go, but puts me retiring at 50 years old
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#19]
This may sound crazy but moving out of the city can lower a lot of bills as well, you could change career fields.

It's all about how bad you want it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Texas. That is all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check out Utah for jobs.  Lots of tech stuff in the Provo/Orem/Draper area.  The cost of living has been going up but you'll get a hell of a lot more than a 1 bedroom for $1600 a month.  Utah county is the most or one of the most conservative counties in the country.  Downside is finding anyplace with a lot of land.  Forget about getting 10-20 acres anywhere close.

And the LDS are a hell of a lot better than those inner city fucks you've been dealing with.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville are upcoming tech for,us rednecks in the South. Move to a better state. TN or TX.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I live in a rural community and great place to raise a family. Unless you run a business, most of the good paying jobs are in the medical field, teaching, lawyers, and doctors.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Commute, telecommute, or start your own business that lets you do the same.

I went with a (at the time) very rural town about 30 minutes away from the big city.
When I did it there was one stop light between me and my work. Housing was crazy cheap.

Now, not so much but if I had to do it over again I'd jump straight to telecommuting and find or make
a job and find a smaller town or rural with adequate internet access (that's not satellite).

Near my BOL you can stll get land for 1K per acre and put a small cabin or trailer on it for very little money,
even base level IT work would easily make the finances work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I commute just under 65 miles per day.  About a 45 min drive two or from work mostly highway.  I couldn't afford my house and property any closer to where I work.  Same can be said for some people that live where I work, many commute another hour south to make more...  So on and so forth.  Its all about compromise.  If you really want it, make it happen.  Good things don't always come easy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Start stockpiling cash as that = true freedom.
Put every extra dime in the bank and spend your free time doing research on the place that fits who you are what you want.

Then move.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't speak for Washington, but where I'm at (city of ~350k pop) if you go 20-30 minutes out you're in rural areas, and you can live in a smaller town while working in the city.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes folks put the cart before the horse...

Willingness/ability to develop "skills"...

Often determines/solves "moving out of town"

If you're good/motivated/focused enough, sometimes it can be done in "style"

Rarely, I think, does this happen in the short term, more likely in the course of a significant part of a lifetime...
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I moved from a major metropolitan area to nowheresville.  However, I am not employed (full time at least since I'm retired ) and didn't have to worry about commute or employment. You are young, not independently wealthy and so ask yourself, what are the chances you are allowed to telecommute?  

If you want to keep your job, commuting could be a PITA, depending on your temperament.   You might want to find some isolated property within driving distance to your job.  Develop it while you work but be careful because burglary of construction sites are not unknown.  Untended property is also subject to burglary (meth heads, common burglars, what-nots).  What type of law enforcement?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for stopping in to read. I've lived in large cities or urban areas my entire life. Up my neck in liberals. I work in tech, and have a job that can't be done remotely and that I can't find steady work doing outside of a city.

I'm a single guy, single income, no kids, no debt, in an outrageously expensive city. But I think I'll be dead and buried before I can move out to a more rural area, which is my long term goal. The rural areas around my city have a serious employment problem. Every wall of every gas station is covered in flyers from people looking for any odd-job work they can find, and I have a feeling that this scene is becoming more and more common around America. It also brings with it meth problems.

Have any city-dwellers like me managed to successfully leave their careers and urban surroundings behind, and strike out for a more remote life? What the hell do guys like us do for work or income? Does the cost of living drop so dramatically that money isn't all that important anymore? I'm paying $1,600/mo for a 650sqft 1br, so it can't get much worse.

I'm dying to make some progress on this goal, but obviously everyone I know in the cities... live in cities. They can't really offer much advice. I'd greatly appreciate any that you ARFCommers were willing to share.
View Quote

Find  state to live in where there is a pretty big city that offers lots of work

AND

has some country land within a 45 minute commute distance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Plenty of companies in relatively Rural areas hire IT people...
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Change states , reduce your cost of living and start banking cash . Start looking at Texas
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I commute just under 65 miles per day.  About a 45 min drive two or from work mostly highway.  I couldn't afford my house and property any closer to where I work.  Same can be said for some people that live where I work, many commute another hour south to make more...  So on and so forth.  Its all about compromise.  If you really want it, make it happen.  Good things don't always come easy.
View Quote
Similar situation here. The city started growing around me, where it was once considered out in the sticks (now they run that community like a HOA). I got tired of it and found a place out in the country about an hour drive from work. Totally worth it.
There's a small rush hour here from 4-6 morning and evening (normal traffic). Then it quietens down.
Its 1840 now and dead quiet. There may be 6 vehicles on the road in the next hour; later it will be fewer. I regularly listen to the drone of the push boats on the river pushing the barge tows over a mile away. Saturday there was a black bear that came into the yard from the woods (I've been here 25 years and its the first bear I've seen here). Deer, turkey, hogs, coyote.
Now on the other side of it, I just came off working a set of 7 days, two days and 5 nights, coming home each day. So I haven't seen much of my place. two days off and I'll do another stretch again. But you do what you can, when you can.

Hindsight being better than foresight. I wish I would have built from the ground up, instead of buying a small house with no storage space.
Depending on your lifestyle; I wish I would have started with a large metal building or a large barn and built a nice living quarters in one end of it and had plenty of storage and work space inside. And lockable. I have never had any theft problems; but I would like the option of bringing everything inside, drop the doors, and lock up at a moments notice; and not worry about anything while I'm gone.
Depending on where you live, a water well could give you peace of mind (and a generator).
Living further out in the country I find that when I buy something I usually buy two of something if I have to make a repair.
You have to plan ahead; because its a pita to take an off day and spend it in the city getting what you should have taken the time to pick up while you were in town after work. Instead of spending that day at home. And you may find that you need equipment that a lot of the city dwellers don't usually have (like a tiller or tractor for the garden).
Later you could build a house if that if what you want to spend your money on; or add on to the shop for more room.
Basically you read, plan, and see what works for you; learning as you go. Or that's the way I've done it. It really isn't that hard.
Eventually you catch up and can enjoy what you've worked so hard for.

Like the poster above that bought his property that backs up to Federal or State Park land; that would be a nice option if you can find it.
You just have to decide if this is what you want.

eta: I also worked with two guys that drove up to 1 hour and twenty minutes one-way to/from work.
And we had a contractor that drove two hours one-way to work almost every day.  He got up at 0200 to make it to work for 0530. And he'd work as much OT as he could!

eta: Wow $1600/month for an apartment that is slightly bigger than two shipping containers.
I don't know if this is feasible:
option #1 - find an apartment about an hour away from your work out toward the country or area that you think you might want to live. It would probably be less expensive allowing you to save a little more money; and seeing if you can tolerate the drive to work every day. And it lets you look around the area for property to buy. If the area is economically depressed you could find something affordable.  Then consider going to Option #2.

option #2 look on the internet at shipping containers that have been converted into homes. Buy some property; maybe an acre or two, buy 3 or 4 shipping containers and convert them into a home. Now you have a weekend/nightly project and when you finish in a few months, you have a place bigger than what you're renting. Buy with cash, build/renovate with cash. Now you just built and own your starter home. Then consider going to Option #3.

Option #3. You're living pretty well, you've learned new skills, you can do this. But now you'd like a bigger place. Look to buying 10 or twenty acres where you'd really like to live now. Consider selling the shipping container home property.  But after you've got the new place roughed in good enough to live in. Constantly moving forward.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Similar situation here. The city started growing around me, where it was once considered out in the sticks (now they run that community like a HOA). I got tired of it and found a place out in the country about an hour drive from work. Totally worth it.
There's a small rush hour here from 4-6 morning and evening (normal traffic). Then it quietens down.
Its 1840 now and dead quiet. There may be 6 vehicles on the road in the next hour; later it will be fewer. I regularly listen to the drone of the push boats on the river pushing the barge tows over a mile away. Saturday there was a black bear that came into the yard from the woods (I've been here 25 years and its the first bear I've seen here). Deer, turkey, hogs, coyote.
Now on the other side of it, I just came off working a set of 7 days, two days and 5 nights, coming home each day. So I haven't seen much of my place. two days off and I'll do another stretch again. But you do what you can, when you can.

Hindsight being better than foresight. I wish I would have built from the ground up, instead of buying a small house with no storage space.
Depending on your lifestyle; I wish I would have started with a large metal building or a large barn and built a nice living quarters in one end of it and had plenty of storage and work space inside. And lockable. I have never had any theft problems; but I would like the option of bringing everything inside, drop the doors, and lock up at a moments notice; and not worry about anything while I'm gone.
Depending on where you live, a water well could give you peace of mind (and a generator).
Living further out in the country I find that when I buy something I usually buy two of something if I have to make a repair.
You have to plan ahead; because its a pita to take an off day and spend it in the city getting what you should have taken the time to pick up while you were in town after work. Instead of spending that day at home. And you may find that you need equipment that a lot of the city dwellers don't usually have (like a tiller or tractor for the garden).
Later you could build a house if that if what you want to spend your money on; or add on to the shop for more room.
Basically you read, plan, and see what works for you; learning as you go. Or that's the way I've done it. It really isn't that hard.
Eventually you catch up and can enjoy what you've worked so hard for.

Like the poster above that bought his property that backs up to Federal or State Park land; that would be a nice option if you can find it.
You just have to decide if this is what you want.

eta: I also worked with two guys that drove up to 1 hour and twenty minutes one-way to/from work.
And we had a contractor that drove two hours one-way to work almost every day.  He got up at 0200 to make it to work for 0530. And he'd work as much OT as he could!

eta: Wow $1600/month for an apartment that is slightly bigger than two shipping containers.
I don't know if this is feasible:
option #1 - find an apartment about an hour away from your work out toward the country or area that you think you might want to live. It would probably be less expensive allowing you to save a little more money; and seeing if you can tolerate the drive to work every day. And it lets you look around the area for property to buy. If the area is economically depressed you could find something affordable.  Then consider going to Option #2.

option #2 look on the internet at shipping containers that have been converted into homes. Buy some property; maybe an acre or two, buy 3 or 4 shipping containers and convert them into a home. Now you have a weekend/nightly project and when you finish in a few months, you have a place bigger than what you're renting. Buy with cash, build/renovate with cash. Now you just built and own your starter home. Then consider going to Option #3.

Option #3. You're living pretty well, you've learned new skills, you can do this. But now you'd like a bigger place. Look to buying 10 or twenty acres where you'd really like to live now. Consider selling the shipping container home property.  But after you've got the new place roughed in good enough to live in. Constantly moving forward.
View Quote
"Constantly moving forward."

Pretty much sums up what a highly motivated person must do...

Without that, a person's goose is cooked.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I asked a friend looking for a house in Sumner WA why he didn't just buy something an hour drive outside the densly populated area and get a nicer house and some land. He told me that the homes out that far are extremly expensive. It' seems lots of people have that plan. I just wanted to mention that because sometimes it's not quite so simple.

Find a city that you can commute to without massive head aches, but better to find a new employer in a smaller city that doesn't have traffic issues and congestion.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of people work in Spokane and live in N. Idaho.  I'm assuming you live in Seattle.  Maybe you just need to swap ends of the state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Tell us more about your job. There are options out there. Depending on what you do, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

I commute 65 miles one way, every week day. I have the option to telecommute if the need arises, but I try not to draw too much attention to that until they switch me to 3rd shift again.
Lowering the cost of living...I used to live 15 minute from work. That forced me to live in one of the norther burbs of Atlanta. My rent was $1250 a month. Insurance was higher. Utilities were higher. Gas was more expensive. I couldn't grow my own food.
I decided to opt for the longer commute - 1.5 hrs each way. I moved 4 counties away to North East GA. My mortgage payment on a 3 bedroom house with 6 acres is $600 a month. Utilities, insurance, Gas and food are all cheaper up here. I couldn't be happier. Before I got laid off from IBM, I worked from home exclusively.

I'd say take a 2 pronged approach:
1. Change jobs or work on telecommute options.
2. Get the hell out of WA. GA, TX, TN and a few others are great options.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#39]
GA seems to be a good place for this. After a corporate acquisition and reorganization I found myself with an attractive offer to relocate to an office about 45 minutes out of Atlanta. I found a place about another 45 minutes farther out and am happy as a pig in shit. Got a modest but nice house in the middle of 17 wooded acres. Telecommuting isn't really much of an option due to slow and unreliable internet out my way but I'm happy to trade that for shooting,  hunting, etc, on my own land. I'm IT as well btw, single and likely significantly older than OP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I live in east of the mountains, but work for a company in the greater Seattle area.  I had to commute for the first few years, but now I'm full time at home.  A few things off the top of my head:

1.  Commute.  Get a place in Cle Elum or east and drive to work.  It's a lot of miles, but goes by fast since there isn't much in the way of traffic until Issaquah/Bellevue.  Lots of people in the Ellensburg area drive to Seattle for work.
2.  Look at the data centers.  Several large data centers in the Ephrata area and more being built.  Not a lot of jobs there, but keep eyes open for one that might come up.
3.  Find another job in the state (or out of state) that allows full time at home work, then move east
4.  Start your own business.  Buy a van, set it up with everything you need to do onsite computer/IT service/repair.  Travel to the different towns and talk to the businesses.  Oncall/onsite IT service would have a steady business demand.  (I don't know your skills, just throwing out what I know works around here).
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Tech in WA? Have you considered the jump from FTE to contractor? I have some friends who are more skilled/experienced/valuable than me who have made the jump and are making comparable pay/benefits with much more flexibility. Fair warning though- I'm working from home these days and bored to tears.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Many people here have already stated many positives.

I'm to state the negatives of living in the country (YMMV)

1.) Little to none late hour or 24hr places.  Its rare seeing anything open past 8pm. I got lucky near myself i have a family dollar and they are open until 10pm.

2.) You are your own 911. From secuirty fire and or medical. While yes these services can reach you but can almost double than in town. Example I live right across from the fire house. It still took 30mins for them to arrive because it is a volunteer and not a standing crew. In addition the nearest hospital for myself is 25 miles away.

3.) My mailbox is a PO Box which at most an inconvenience. Any further into the country FedEx and UPS would not be able to deliever to me.

4.) I had to change phone providers because the lack of coverage. In addition i have no internet and my internet usage is through my phone using data.

5.) During the rainy or snow season I have to have a 4wd vehicle. My 2wd fiesta i cannot make it through the mud or snow. So as the suggestion on commuters look towards subarus.

Now thses are a few things but you being a city fella it is a huge culture shock to you.  I am not try to talk you out of moving the country but noting what you need to expect. Now personally if i was you id find a few acres by a used mobile home and use it for a weekend retreat.

Have a good one

ETA: 6.) You are your own garbage man. No matter if you take your bags to thr nearest dump or burn them (i and most people  do) you are still responsible for it and need to have the right equipment to do so. But remember glass cans and solid foods dont burn well (at least by conventional means).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Double post
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Fpni

There are places where you can ply your trade, you just have to move there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Long commutes suck. You basically work and drive.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best advice financially and for your health is to GTFO of the city.
I pay 1360 a month mortgage for a 4100sf home on 9 acres and is 20 min from I-75.
I can shoot and hunt in my back yard.
If I need to leave I take my 5 ton and go to my friends house or have them come here. There will be about 20 people at my place at minimum if the SHTF.
Anyone in the city will be dead quick when the law is gone
Plus city folk don't know how to do anything important in a survival situation for themselves
Bunch of sheep/rats
Glad I left the city behind me. I still work in a city but never stay longer than I have to. Plus I'm always armed
Best thing for you if you have to live and work in the city is to have a plan to leave if the SHTF
Do it with numbers. strength in numbers. Not sure if that applies to city sheep because its just going to be more people bitching and asking for handouts as usual with city folk.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Many people here have already stated many positives.

I'm to state the negatives of living in the country (YMMV)

1.) Little to none late hour or 24hr places.  Its rare seeing anything open past 8pm. I got lucky near myself i have a family dollar and they are open until 10pm.

2.) You are your own 911. From secuirty fire and or medical. While yes these services can reach you but can almost double than in town. Example I live right across from the fire house. It still took 30mins for them to arrive because it is a volunteer and not a standing crew. In addition the nearest hospital for myself is 25 miles away.

3.) My mailbox is a PO Box which at most an inconvenience. Any further into the country FedEx and UPS would not be able to deliever to me.

4.) I had to change phone providers because the lack of coverage. In addition i have no internet and my internet usage is through my phone using data.

5.) During the rainy or snow season I have to have a 4wd vehicle. My 2wd fiesta i cannot make it through the mud or snow. So as the suggestion on commuters look towards subarus.

Now thses are a few things but you being a city fella it is a huge culture shock to you.  I am not try to talk you out of moving the country but noting what you need to expect. Now personally if i was you id find a few acres by a used mobile home and use it for a weekend retreat.

Have a good one

ETA: 6.) You are your own garbage man. No matter if you take your bags to thr nearest dump or burn them (i and most people  do) you are still responsible for it and need to have the right equipment to do so. But remember glass cans and solid foods dont burn well (at least by conventional means).
View Quote
What's not to like about this?  Almost exactly our current situation (however we have a small heard of cattle, some horses, garden and other 'essentials'):  this was after many many years of saving, building and planning.  We live in one of the best places if things should go 'south' - could exist for many years with no outside contact if necessary.  Good neighbors, like minded folks and the ability to 'make it' if necessary ................
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's not to like about this?  Almost exactly our current situation (however we have a small heard of cattle, some horses, garden and other 'essentials'):  this was after many many years of saving, building and planning.  We live in one of the best places if things should go 'south' - could exist for many years with no outside contact if necessary.  Good neighbors, like minded folks and the ability to 'make it' if necessary ................
View Quote
The point of it was just stating you will not get your modern conveniences at all. Ive seen city dweller camp in the woods srate i cam do this all the time and did nothing for camp. I dont mind the country i love it. But you go from modern to pre internet real quick and it something that most people arent prepared for a day to day living
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#49]
My family and I live/go to school/work in big city during the week but on Friday afternoon after work we drive 2 hours (109 miles) to our 20 acre farm where we play farmer/hunter on weekends.  The property is at the end of the dirt road in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods and just one neighbor 200 yards away.  We have a hunting camp with camper on it and outdoor bathroom/shower/kitchen with no electricity or telephone/cable.  We can do whatever we want and nobody would know or care.  Then on Sunday evening or early Monday morning we drive back to the city and go back to our city life.  We got the property 2 years ago and it's been great for us.
We have well paid jobs in the city so our house/car is paid for and we paid cash for about 1/3 of the farm and we plan to pay it off within next 10 years then start building a house on it.  Our jobs in city allow us to do this...let us have the best of both world (city/rural).
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top