Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2017 2:05:42 PM EDT
I another thread, i mentioned that a few years ago I attempted to start a series of discussions with the intent of creating a Prepping Guide.  Below is my post from that thread.

It appears that there may be some interest in the concept, so I volunteered to start the conversation and try to compile and distill the info into a quickly and easily usable form (maybe a checklist)

A few years ago in this forum, I proposed a series of Thread Starters, each thread its own topic, outlining the different scenarios which one could prep for.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the proposed Individual Thread topics....

House Fire
Winter Storm
Non-Winter Storm/Hurricane/Tornado
Loss of Commercial Power (1 Week +) There's a great Sandy Storm Thread in the Archive if I recall
Pandemic
Civil Unrest
Outbreak of Global Conflict / War
Major Cyber Attack
Terrorist Attack (Remote)
Terrorist Attack (Local)
National/International Financial Crisis
Flood
Natural Gas / Poisonous Gas Leak
Nuclear Radiation Leak
Earthquake
EMP Attack / Solar Flare

Now I know many of these could be lumped together, as their responses would be very similar, but the thought was to.....

Identify the ones which could be lumped together

Brainstorm the Obvious and less obvious Indicator/Triggers

Discuss Potential Event Duration as well as Subsequent Tangential Events that could occur

Brainstorm the things which would keep us prepared as best we could (Ranging from Limited Budget to Unlimited Budget Alternatives, within reason)
Each discussion would have the same format
- What Food Preps and how long does it need to last for
- What Communications Methods (Create a Comm Plan)
- What Power/Battery/Fuel Preps
- What Security Measures
- What Medical Supplies/Training would be useful
- What Bug-In Gear would be NEEDS and WANTS
- What Bug Out Gear would be NEEDS and WANTS
- How to Stage Gear for Ease of Access/Use in a Bug-In and a Bug-Out Scenario
- Issues Related to Organizing a Group After the Triggers have been tripped
- Brainstorming ways to dry run the event scenario that would be acceptable to friends and family (Example: Shutting of power at home for a weekend to test your preps and find holes)
- Maybe even create a book of Event Specific Checklists (Similar to what was done on the Katrina SHTF page a few years back)

Some of these items could be just copy and paste from the previous discussion, but at the end of the series, you could make a tabbed, organized in order of likelihood in your area, event specific book, customized for your area of operation, from the group input and that we all could refer back to to make changes/modifications as technology, current events, etc changed.

So, if you think a financial crisis is imminent, grab the book, go to the Financial Crisis Tab, Tear out the Checklist and maybe a "Shit to Panic Buy in the Event of a Financial Crisis" List and hand it to the wife, while you start loading and filling gas cans, checking off items on your "Financial Crisis Immediate Action Plan" and preparing to drink your own urine.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in to help where I can.

I have the past experience of bugging in for a winter a couple years ago. Learned a lot from that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to eventually organize this into a book form, with tabs for quick reference.

I propose the following outline to the steps required for this discussion....

1.  Have a short discussion based on each scenario
    a.  Discuss Early Identifiers of a Scenario Unfolding
    b.  Trigger Points that would cause you to Start your Prep Plan in Motion

2.  Create Immediate Action Plans for Each Scenario, to put in motion once you've decided it's Fo Time
    a.  Checklist of Items to Buy before the panic of the masses occurs
    b.  Checklist of Things to be Staged/Prepped
    c.  Identify Who within your Family/Team, etc will perform what tasks

3.  Identify the scenarios that could be lumped together as "SAME OR SIMILAR RESPONSE"
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't mind, there is a Mormon guy called Voice of Warning or something like that.... covers a ton of ground
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't mind, there is a Mormon guy called Voice of Warning or something like that.... covers a ton of ground
View Quote
Do you have a link?  I can't find him with a search.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested and will gladly participate when I can.
I have some expierences that are unique to this area from my line of work and might be appreciated in the correct context.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Great idea Patriot:

Might be a tall order on some topics...

I may be down for parts of the "how to rebuild a kitchen after the disaster."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Good on you for giving this a try.

Recommendation....you've been reading here awhile I assume. From your observations....some around here are very knowledgeable about certain topics...so see if you can enlist their help. You might need to organize the data but they can contribute the info. Maybe team up a couple of posters who have demonstrated above average knowledge of a certain topic or topics.

I wouldn't take people's word that they have the knowledge. I would base it on their past posts.

Just a suggestion.

Also, the biggest hurdle to something like this in my opinion is the people who disagree with the writer. It's the writers opinion....disagree? Demonstrate your knowledge of XYZ topic and you can be a forum "expert" too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well OP, where do you want to go first?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
As a funeral director I have a extensive knowledge of how disastrous an unexpected death can be.

In my prearrangement file at work is a thumb drive with a detailed set of instructions for my wife, parents and siblings about where the money is, what the guns are worth, claim forms for my multiple life insurance policies, passwords and log ins for online banking and loans, due dates for taxes, loans, insurance etc, as well as explicit instructions for my cremation

To me that was the number one prep I could do for my family as the number of young guys that drop dead from not diagnosed heart issues, accidents, and aneurysms is much higher than most people know.

You can prep for TEOTWAWKI and other things like that, but at the end of the day that is the number one scenario I see that people rarely prepare for until they're retired.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a funeral director I have a extensive knowledge of how disastrous an unexpected death can be.

In my prearrangement file at work is a thumb drive with a detailed set of instructions for my wife, parents and siblings about where the money is, what the guns are worth, claim forms for my multiple life insurance policies, passwords and log ins for online banking and loans, due dates for taxes, loans, insurance etc, as well as explicit instructions for my cremation

To me that was the number one prep I could do for my family as the number of young guys that drop dead from not diagnosed heart issues, accidents, and aneurysms is much higher than most people know.

You can prep for TEOTWAWKI and other things like that, but at the end of the day that is the number one scenario I see that people rarely prepare for until they're retired.
View Quote
Told my wife to compost me on the shit pile and spread me in the pasture so I go on being useful. 

I'm semi-serious, but I doubt she will do it 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well OP, where do you want to go first?
View Quote
Ok, I propose we first take the "List of Potential Events" below.....

1 - Add anything I might have missed
2 - Group Event Responses together for a combined discussion (keeping in mind that the discussion might prompt us to move or recategorize the event)
3 - Tackle the Discussions about the Grouped Events

Tentative Group 1:
House Fire
Winter Storm
Loss of Commercial Power (1 Week +) There's a great Sandy Storm Thread in the Archive if I recall

Tentative Group 2:
Pandemic
Civil Unrest
Major Cyber Attack
Terrorist Attack (Local)
Flood
Nuclear Radiation Leak
Earthquake
EMP Attack / Solar Flare

Thoughts????
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I would say more categories.

Eg:
Short term, bug in, inconvenience situation

Short term bug out, inconvenience situation, localized situation

Instant short term bug out situation, localized, such as house fire or hazmat spill

Medium term bug in, localized,moderate severity, no work/travel for 1wk+

Etc. Could probably end up with 6-8 or so general categories of expected situations.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

2 - Group Event Responses together for a combined discussion (keeping in mind that the discussion might prompt us to move or recategorize the event)

Tentative Group 1:
House Fire
Winter Storm

Tentative Group 2:
Pandemic
Civil Unrest
Major Cyber Attack
Terrorist Attack (Local)
Flood
Nuclear Radiation Leak
Earthquake
EMP Attack / Solar Flare

Thoughts????
View Quote
Just a suggestion: For simplicity I would stick to addressing the basics (e.g. Water, Food, Defense, Evacuation, etc), which are applicable in almost all disasters. I wouldn't inundate yourself and your target audience with the prepping dynamics associated with the endless list of disaster scenarios (for example see below). Each Section listed below (note I changed the section titles in my newer version) is broken down into 2 parts applicable to that section:

Part 1: contains Basic Information, Tips, Suggestions, How Tos
Part 2: contains Forms, Checklists, and Inventories

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Part 1 of a Section (How To)

Attachment Attached File

Part 2 of a Section (an Inventory)

Attachment Attached File

Part 2 of a Section (a Form)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is your criteria for the two groups?  The second seems mostly human-created, except for Flood and Earthquake (and possibly solar flare) which seem like they belong in group 1.  Did I miss the breakdown earlier in the thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tentative Group 1:
House Fire
Winter Storm

Tentative Group 2:
Pandemic
Civil Unrest
Major Cyber Attack
Terrorist Attack (Local)
Flood
Nuclear Radiation Leak
Earthquake
EMP Attack / Solar Flare

Thoughts????
What is your criteria for the two groups?  The second seems mostly human-created, except for Flood and Earthquake (and possibly solar flare) which seem like they belong in group 1.  Did I miss the breakdown earlier in the thread?
The first group is smaller scale, localized, shorter term (1-4 weeks)
vs
The second group which is larger scale, maybe regional or national and longer term in nature. (1-12 months)
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I created a printed binder with different topics.  I also included a document with maps and emergency contact info.  The binder and backup on usb are primarily for the wife in the event I'm unavailable.  The notes cover step by step what to do if x happens and things to be considered.  If this is a collaboration I would strongly suggest a wiki format.  It allows multiple contributors and version control.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay, I understand but am not sure I agree that makes the most sense.  I have not experienced floods, but I would think they are a 1-4 week issue that is unlikely to reach a regional scale.  Maybe not.  Terrorist attacks could be single attacker and/or single target, mass shooting or localized event (boston marathon), but we've yet to see anything close to regional or having a significant duration (that I can recall) short of 9/11.  I would perhaps break that into two both categories.  Same with cyber attacks - we've yet to see one locally that is more than business or individually affecting.

I tend to like Skettis approach or some sort of matrix that might look like this

Affects < 10 people or one family member; localized in natureAffects > 10 people or entire familyAffects > 100 peopleAffects > 1000 people
Affects a small region (neighborhood or city block)
Affects a large region (town, city, coastline, national forest)
Affects multiple regional locations

So something like a car accident or illness might be in the upper left while a pandemic would be in the lower right.

ETA - removed arfcom's crazy extra spacing, no idea why it doesn't show table lines
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tentative Group 1:
House Fire
Winter Storm

Tentative Group 2:
Pandemic
Civil Unrest
Major Cyber Attack
Terrorist Attack (Local)
Flood
Nuclear Radiation Leak
Earthquake
EMP Attack / Solar Flare

Thoughts????
The first group is smaller scale, localized, shorter term (1-4 weeks)
vs
The second group which is larger scale, maybe regional or national and longer term in nature. (1-12 months)
Okay, I understand but am not sure I agree that makes the most sense.  I have not experienced floods, but I would think they are a 1-4 week issue that is unlikely to reach a regional scale.  Maybe not.  Terrorist attacks could be single attacker and/or single target, mass shooting or localized event (boston marathon), but we've yet to see anything close to regional or having a significant duration (that I can recall) short of 9/11.  I would perhaps break that into two both categories.  Same with cyber attacks - we've yet to see one locally that is more than business or individually affecting.

I tend to like Skettis approach or some sort of matrix that might look like this

Affects < 10 people or one family member; localized in natureAffects > 10 people or entire familyAffects > 100 peopleAffects > 1000 people

So something like a car accident or illness might be in the upper left while a pandemic would be in the lower right.

ETA - removed arfcom's crazy extra spacing, no idea why it doesn't show table lines
@D_J

A Matrix may prove problematic when you have multiple disasters happening at the same time. For example, a major quake hits CA which causes major flooding, fires, power outages, civil unrest, food shortages, etc. Based on my extensive experience formulating Action and Operational plans for one of the largest law enforcement agencies in CA, I highly recommend you guys approach this large project using a simplified method which targets the basics. Remember, your target audience may know little to nothing about the subject(s) matter being discussed so you don't want to overwhelm them with too much/complex info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You don't get to post your book again without sharing an electronic version.
View Quote
Sorry brother I tried several ways to make my content available to anyone who wanted it. Unfortunately, my costless measures didn't work out. Looks like I'll have to spend some money to get it to work the way I want so I kinda put it off for now. Right now my main focus is on developing my home first aid system.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#22]
One thing we all might be able to contribute to is a list of first-hand examples of the various SHTF scenarios. I've been thru 2 major hurricanes here and a few other near-hurricane storms. The first in 2003 with Isabel. Even though it was "only" a Cat 2 when it rolled over this area, it caused an almost total blackout of the entire area. We went without power for 5 days, some not too far away took almost 2 weeks.

Another thing that someone may have already mentioned is "How do you know?". How do you know when to bug-out? How do you know a major event is coming (other than forecasts for things like hurricanes)? How do you know we're in the midst of a bank melt-down and need to go get some money before you can't? Are there web sites for things like CME/Carrington event types of space weather where you can have it send an alert to your smartphone?

One good topic of discussion for bug in or out situations is how to stay in contact with folks. Cell phones went dead here for Isabel in less than a day. In 2011, it was 2 days, about on par with the land line. Cable internet went south immediately both times. Getting info about conditions not only in the local area but regionally and perhaps nationally might help shape you plan of action, especially during a major disaster of some sort (whether man-made or not).

Just something to think about. Also, since a number of our members here have experienced job loss at one time or even recently, having a "What to do when your suddenly unemployed" would be a good topic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Why don't we get a rough draft of the first topic going? When we all see what you are working on it should be easier to give meaningful feedback.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Time to jump in here.  I agree with this approach and more specifically, how the event effects the supply lines and how long those supply lines will be disrupted.  
Supply lines are everything.  I don't care what the event is as much as I care what the effect of the event is and how the population will react to being cut off
from services, food or water.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
How are you coming along with this?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I am in.  I think first we need some help from the mods.  Each thread -101 102 103 etc need to be non achievable.  We then need a prepping 101 contents thread that is a sticky, linking to each thread including a brief description of that level.
Each level thread should include a time frame, and applicable scenarios.

Obviously 101 should be about weathering a bad storm, power outage, ect maybe one~two week realistic situation.  Should also touch on having cash on hand, full gas tank etc.

If the OP of each 101, 102 thread gives the parameters, posters can then post suggestions to include gear, preps, mindset etc.

As time goes on we can work our way up the list.

I say you go with the following:

101 = one week long emergency.  this includes realistic threats such as house fire, theft, job loss, personal medical situation etc.  Most well formulated EDC can handle this.

102 = two week emergency.  This is where your preps really start to come alive, time to buckle down and handle the disaster.  Time to think about a GHB

103 = three week emergency.  Serious situation.  This is beyond camping in your living room.  Time for a BOB if your BIL isn't working out.

104 = four week emergency.  Gas is starting to run out.  The electricity isn't coming back on... Maybe an EMP is to blame? Solar flare?  Better have a good BIL.

105 = just over a month worth of emergency, situation, borderline financial collapse, maybe pandemic.  Could be time for a BOL depending on your situation.

201 = two month disaster, society starting to break down.  Stores are bone dry.  Modern homestead?

301 = six month disaster possibly WROL... Serious SHTF.  Bunker?

401 = one~ two year break down of society...  Better have a prepping group or strong family unit.

501... 500 level is full on apocalypse like our world has never seen.  Ever watched The Book Of Eli? The Road? Maybe Mad Max?  

I will gladly add information wherever applicable.  I consider myself a common since down to earth survivalist.  I don't have buckets of dried goods, well ok maybe one or two, but I really strive to have everything at even levels, to last out as necessary.  Kind of like 12 months of food but no water, or 10 years worth of ammo but only 3 weeks worth of food...

All levels have to be brought up together.  Alternative sources of heat, chickens, highly economical forms of transportation, savings, skills etc....

Lets start with a 101 thread, if it takes off we can request a contents thread something like:

Prepping in stages...  AFRCOM style...  

Say the word and I can start a barrage of threads with some basic outline soliciting conversation, suggestions, opinions, and thoughts.

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem with this approach is that when an emergency starts, outside of minor local emergencies, information and communication is limited, family members are usually away from home and usually you don't know what type of emergency you have. So there are some signs you always need to be on the look out for and assume the worst and react accordingly.  If you have a plan for the worst the less serious scenarios are easy to deal with. e.g..  If large local power outage, can't get information from Radio/TV, cell phones don't work --> suspect grid down scenario or EMP attack --> Grab GHB and head towards Bug In/Bug Out Location.  All members of the family need to be on the same wavelength and must know the plan.  There must be communication plan and also drop locations in case normal comm plan doesn't work.

Ive been working on a family emergency plan that is work in progress.  Ive been borrowing from the FEMA, Red Cross, some states have published plans and even CANADA has one of its citizens.  I also borrowed from Sketti.  the outline is below:

Again its a work in progress but at any time, based on the symptoms, determinations need to be made that what level of emergency are you dealing with.  If not sure, go 1 level up!  Also, each line needs to have at least 2 alternatives." Two is one and One is none"

Outline:------------

Basic Information:
Family member personal and contact information:
Utilities contacts:
Emergency contacts outside the local region:
Communication plan:
Water Plan:
Food Plan:
Self defense plan:
Hygiene Plan:
Medical/First Aid plan:
Stress Management:
Evacuation Plan:
Money/Communication drop locations:
Local/Regional maps:

Types of Emergencies:

Personal Emergencies:

Minor Local Emergencies:
Get home plans for each member of the family:

Regional Emergencies:
Specific communication Plan:
Shelter In Place Emergency Instructions:
Bug Out Emergency Instructions:
Pandemic Emergency Instructions:
Nuclear Attack Emergency Instructions:
Dirty Bomb Emergency Instructions:
Others:

National Emergencies:
Others:
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Additional Detail:

Basic Information:

Family Member Responsibilities in The Event of a Disaster:
Disaster Kit:
Be Informed:
Family Medical Information:
Financial Information:
Sharing and Maintaining the Plan:

Family member personal and contact information (Telephone, Email, Address):

Utilities contacts:
Water:
Electric:
Propane:
Telephone:
Cable/Internet:
Home Insurance:
Other:

Medical information: Doctor/Medication/Dosage/Frequency/Location in Household/Pharmacy

Emergency contacts in/outside the local region:

Communication plan:
1. Text all family members with status – wait for response.  If no response, continue contact on x min after hour until receive acknowledge if cell towers working.  
2. Email all family members with status  – wait for response.  
3. Use Ham Radio to contact xx repeater ( memory cation ??), and contact frequency yy on HF every zz after the hour
4. Go to drop location and chk for msg or leave msg.

If separated during an emergency, what is the meeting place near home (Local Emergency)?

If cannot return home or asked to evacuate, what is the meeting place outside of neighborhood (Reginal Emergency)?

In case separated during an emergency or unable to communicate with each other, our emergency contact outside of our emergency immediate area is:

Water Plan:
Food Plan:
Self defense plan:
Hygiene Plan:
Medical/First Aid plan:
Stress Management:
Evacuation Plan:
Local/Regional maps:

Types of Emergencies:

Personal Emergencies:

Fire Emergency Procedures and Escape Routes:

Minor Local Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Regional Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Others:

National Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Others:
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Additional Detail:

Basic Information:

Family Member Responsibilities in The Event of a Disaster:
Disaster Kit:
Be Informed:
Family Medical Information:
Financial Information:
Sharing and Maintaining the Plan:

Utilities contacts:
Water:
Electric:
Propane:
Telephone:
Cable/Internet:
Home Insurance:
Other:

Medical information: Doctor/Medication/Dosage/Frequency/Location in Household/Pharmacy

Communication plan:
1. Text all family members with status – wait for response.  If no response, continue contact on x min after hour until receive acknowledge if cell towers working.  
2. Email all family members with status  – wait for response.  
3. Use Ham Radio to contact xx repeater ( memory cation ??), and contact frequency yy on HF every zz after the hour
4. Go to drop location and chk for msg or leave msg.

If separated during an emergency, what is the meeting place near home (Local Emergency)?

If cannot return home or asked to evacuate, what is the meeting place outside of neighborhood (Reginal Emergency)?

In case separated during an emergency or unable to communicate with each other, our emergency contact outside of our emergency immediate area is:

Water Plan:
Food Plan:
Self defense plan:
Hygiene Plan:
Medical/First Aid plan:
Stress Management:
Evacuation Plan:
Local/Regional maps:

Types of Emergencies:

Personal Emergencies:

Fire Emergency Procedures and Escape Routes:

Minor Local Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Regional Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Others:

National Emergencies:
Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Water:
Food:
Defense:
Communication:
Hygiene:
Stress management:

Others:
View Quote
Yikes, that's going to be one huge plan; lots of duplication. What if you have multiple disasters at once, which instructions take precedence? Do you plan on putting this in a binder format?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Have to be careful about trying to basically program on the spot reasoning and decision making. IMHO things should be limited to 4-5 categories of planning. Otherwise, valuable time could/would be spent trying to figure out which plan to use. 

Really, there are only 2 options: bug in, bug out. 

After that, its just how long/far can you do either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
How is it coming along?

I'm very curious to see what we can come up with.

If we get some good constructive feedback this could be made into a sticky?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Interdasted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How is it coming along?

I'm very curious to see what we can come up with.

If we get some good constructive feedback this could be made into a sticky?
View Quote
Im hoping this is a group effort for everyones use and consumption, but it requires everyone's contribution.  

I've basically divided mine into two sections and have published below the certain general instructions for public consumption: 1. General instructions, which should cover the most likely scenarios of local and regional emergencies and will be used as the foundation for the more serious emergencies, and 2. The more serious local, regional and national (unlikely scenarios) which at the minimum will require the implementation of the general instructions listed earlier, plus additional more pertinent instructions.

I'm currently concentrating on the general instructions as I see it to be 70%+ of the content.  Also, I have "borrowed" from every article I have read but I have not kept the source of the references.  So would like to thank them in advance for their contribution.  

I would appreciate all comments and contributions - Pleas contribute to the section you have expertise in, once the general section is done, we can break it into 101, 201, 301, ... courses if we want.

--------------------
General Instruction:

•Prepare for the most likely scenario first and the least likely scenario last
•Think for yourself and don’t rely of the media, government agencies or others to tell you what to do.  All emergencies are local and you should know the best.
•If you think of it, 1000 others will too, however that is better that millions of others doing it
•Plan has alternatives, otherwise it’s a decision
•Bugging out should be the last resort – Plan on leaving the day before or ride it out
•Bugout without a bugout plan and destination will make us refugees

Family Member Maintenance Responsibilities:
Emergency plan maintenance: Once a month check and update pertinent information. (Responsibility: ????)

Bug-Out bag maintenance: Every other month stock and check the bug-out bags. content to make sure nothing is missing (replace if needed).  Take the Bug-Out Bag in case of evacuation. (Responsibility: ????)

Identification and financial information documents: Every other month check and maintain the documents.  Obtain and maintain copies of the DL, SS card, passport, bank statements and utility bills as a proof of identity and residence.  Keep all in the individual Bug-Out bag.  (Responsibility: ????)

Document and valuable container maintenance: Every other month check to make sure the documents and valuables container are not moved and nothing is lacking.  Take the Document/Valuable Container in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Water maintenance: Every other month check the water containers to make sure they are full, they have not leaked, water is clear, and change the water and add chlorine if necessary.  Take 5 Gal/person in the Water Containers in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Food Maintenance: Every other month check the food stored and rotate the canned food and replace as necessary.  Take the Food in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Contact list maintenance: Update the contact list as necessary.  (Responsibility: ????)

Self defense maintenance: Every quarter review and update the defense plan and supplies.  Take the self defense supplies in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Hygiene maintenance: Every quarter review and update the Hygiene plan and supplies.  Take the Hygiene supplies in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Be informed maintenance: Every other month check and maintain the NOAA radio, scanner and HAM radios.  Take a NOAA radio, the sealed HAM Radio go-bag, scanner, antenna kit and ONE double batteries mobile kit in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Family medical information and MED kit maintenance: As necessary maintain and update the family member medical information in this document.  Every other month check the Med-Kit contents and replace anything needed as necessary.  Take the medical kit in case of evacuation.  (Responsibility: ????)

Identification and financial information documents: Obtain and maintain copies of the DL, SS card, passport, bank statements and utility bills as a proof of identity and residence.  Keep all in the individual Bug-Out bags.  (Responsibility: ????)

Responsibility Matrix:

Utilities contacts:
Water:
Electric:
Gas/Propane:
Telephone:
Cable/Internet:
Home Insurance:
Other:

Important Family Documents (Keep these records in a waterproof, fireproof, portable container at location ???) (Responsibility: ????)
1.Will, insurance policies, contracts deeds
2.Passports, social security cards, immunization cards
3.Copies of the bank account statements
4.Copies of credit card statements
5.Inventory of valuable household goods and important telephone numbers
6.Family records (Birth, marriage, death certificates)

Communication plan: (Responsibility: ????)
1.Text first, then email and then Call:
a.Text ALL family members with status – wait for response.  If no response and if cell towers operating, continue texting on 8 min after every half hour until receive acknowledge.  eg: First text immediately, then A:08 and A:38, A+1:08, A+1:38, …
b.Email ALL family members immediately with status – wait for response.  Check for response email 30 min after every half hour until communication established. eg. A:30, A+1:00, A+1:30, A+2:00, …
c.Call ALL family members with status – wait for response.  If no response and if cell towers operating, continue calling on 12 min after every half hour until make contact.  eg: First call immediately, then A:12 and A:42, A+1:12, A+1:42, …
2.Use Ham Radio if Text, Email and Calling does not work: Use Ham Radio on VHF/UHF band to contact XXX repeater xxx.xxx Hz. (memory location ??)
3.Use HF if VHF/UHF frequencies does not work: ??????
4.Check Drop Location: Go to drop location X, Y and Z (If safe and time allows) and chk for msg and/or leave msg.

Water Plan: (Responsibility: ????)
If at home and if there is sufficient time and is safe:

Food Plan: (Responsibility: ????)
1.Use the cash stored at ???? to purchase as much cans of food, rice, beans and non-perishable food if possible
2.Keep refrigerators running using the small generator and inverter and batteries

Self-defense plan: (Responsibility: ????)

Hygiene Plan: (Responsibility: ????)
When to wash hands or clean hands with alcohol based products
1.Before preparing or eating food
2.Before or after treating cuts or wounds
3.Before and after treating someone, who is sick
4.After handling uncooked foods, particularly raw meat, poultry or fish
5.After blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
6.After handling garbage
7.After handling an animal or animal waste
8.After going to bathroom
9.After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has gone to bathroom
Sanitation
1.Install a privacy tent away from house
2.Pull out the Bucket toilets and install toilet seats and put into the privacy tent
3.Fill a bucket with dirt to put into the toilet bucket as needed and put into the privacy tent
4.Install the camping toilet inside for members that cannot use tent outside

Medical/First Aid plan: (Responsibility: ????)
If there is sufficient time and is safe:
1.Have XXX call in prescription for Allergy medications, Antibiotics and strong pain killers to XXX
2.Purchase regular painkillers and pick up the prescriptions

Shelter In Place: (Location: Basement Storage Room)
1.Close and lock all windows and exterior doors (Responsibility: ????)
2.If in danger of explosion, close blinds and curtains (Responsibility: ????)
3.Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems (Responsibility: ????)
4.Seal the fireplace with plastic and duct tape (Responsibility: ????)
5.Take the TWO (2) NOAA radios to the Safe Room (Responsibility: ????)
6.Use plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal all cracks around the door and any vents in the room
7.Contact the family members according to the COMMUNICATION PLAN (above)
8.Keep listening to NOAA radio, TV, Scanner and Ham Radio
(IF DRIVING)
1.If close to home, office or public building, go immediately inside and shelter in place
2.If unable to get home or building quickly and safely, pull over to the side of the road under a bridge or a shady spot.
3.Turn off engine, close all windows and vents
4.If possible seal all the vents with duct tape
5.Listen to radio regularly for advice and instructions
6.Stay where you are until you are told it is safe to get on the road.  Keep in mind some roads are closed or traffic detoured.

Stress Management:

Evacuation Plan: (Evacuate early/immediately to avoid getting trapped in traffic or weather)
1.Gather disaster supplies and put in vehicle
2.Wear sturdy shoes and clothing (long pants, long sleeve shirts and caps)
3.Secure home
a.Close and lock doors and windows,
b.Unplug all electrical equipment EXCEPT refrigerators and freezers
c.Turn off Gas/propane valve (Location: ????)
d.Turn off water valve (Location: ????)
e.Let others know where you are going

Local/Regional maps:
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Well,

If you'd like a play-by-play of major forest fire, with a hundred photos, here's my thread from last year...

burning down the house!

There are three fires nearby right now.   I plan to bug in, even if it comes to a showdown with Sheriffs, State Police, National Guard, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well,

If you'd like a play-by-play of major forest fire, with a hundred photos, here's my thread from last year...

burning down the house!

There are three fires nearby right now.   I plan to bug in, even if it comes to a showdown with Sheriffs, State Police, National Guard, etc.
View Quote
Why on God's green Earth would you bug IN for a fire ? Planning on going down with the ship?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why on God's green Earth would you bug IN for a fire ? Planning on going down with the ship?
View Quote
Nope.

I've done quite a bit of research and fire-proofing and think the ship will survive.   The last fire came within 2000ft so there is not a lot of forest near me left to burn.  I'm sure my insurance company would stiff me on a claim, just like others did to neighbors in the previous fire.  So if I want to keep my home, cars, etc., I'll have to protect them myself, from fire and also looters.   And if you read my forest fire thread, you'd know that the govt people sent to "help" you, really don't care about you or saving your home.   Many of their actions just increase your chances of being victimized.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok so its going on two months, where are you guys at with this? Can you please post what you have created so far, e.g., templates, documents, etc, so we can take a look? 

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top