Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 5:58:12 PM EDT
Have a fence already but want to grow something on it that will hurt if touched.  Barbed wire would look tacky and a hot fence would be reliant upon electricity.  Fast growing would be a plus.  Food bearing would be a plus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Growing brambles and various ouchies on security fences SEEMS like a good idea, till you have to start watching the fence lines regularly.

Basically you would be just providing concealment to an intruder. Any plant is only going to be a nuisance to someone determined to get in, all the while probably providing concealment to them.

Heck if anything you want goats on some of your fence lines to keep vines and concealment trimmed down, and they can act as a big of an early warning also.
View Quote
yeah I live in a subdivision and am just trying to make it where my house is less attractive to burglarize than the neighbors
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
cholla cactus seems to grow anywhere and is mother nature's Concertina wire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Your rough location is going to be important to know? If you're in the SW warmer region, teddy bear cholla or prickly pear with the super fine needles both do good in shade and are the worst plant on earth to make contact with.

The prickly pear grows crazy fast starting now! Most any segmented cactus you can also easily multiply by cutting a segment off and planting. Most you need to let dry for a week before so they don't get too much moisture right away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your rough location is going to be important to know? If you're in the SW warmer region, teddy bear cholla or prickly pear with the super fine needles both do good in shade and are the worst plant on earth to make contact with.

The prickly pear grows crazy fast starting now! Most any segmented cactus you can also easily multiply by cutting a segment off and planting. Most you need to let dry for a week before so they don't get too much moisture right away.
View Quote
I'm in the southease
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 100's of tins of prickly pear.
Come.get all you want .
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Prickly pear is a good food source as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Boulgainvias grow like weeds and have razor sharp thorns
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boulgainvias grow like weeds and have razor sharp throns.
View Quote
Excellent idea. Could also do roses, just keep them trimmed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Harbor Freight sells cheap, realistic looking, fake security cameras for about $8 a piece. Put a few in places where they can be seen. Do not overdo it. Several cameras will suffice.
You can also get a security system poster and stickers. Large dog food bowls placed on front and reap porches may help too. Police says this is often works better than anything else. If someone really wants to get into your house, they will. It's like you said - "Let them choose an easier target".
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Century plants can be wicked also!!  Thought about putting one outside my daughters bedroom window.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have black berries that do well with indirect sunlight.  Sharp too!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

Looks nice but will Fu#k you up
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think the cholla or other cacti/succulents will do well in shade. They may survive, but they won't grow. Cactus gardens were a hobby of mine for a while.

Blackberries can do well in partial shade. FYI many of the varieties sold at retailers are thornless though (even if not labeled) so you may need to order from garden supply store like Starkbros. They can be invasive and take over your yard though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Century plants can be wicked also!!  Thought about putting one outside my daughters bedroom window.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMZ61LdIp-_XXiI7FxknPt8y13_fTcbHnNPa1llPkMUnBtymog

Doc
View Quote
Spanish Bayonet is better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I have rose bush or two under each window in the front and side of house.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Poncirus trifoliata.... says full sun, but I have had some growing for years in mixed shady areas.  You do not want to try and get through a thicket of this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Barrier cactus may. Enjoy your defensive shrubbery!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Again, the IN THE SHADE part of the original post means pretty much any of the cactus or other pokey succulents won't grow, and may not survive at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 for Pyracantha.

Grew it on the north side of the house till it took over. Went to 15' high and 20' wide from 1 plant. Espalier it against some poles and wire and it will fill in the gaps on its own.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Holly shrubs. Lot's of them grow wild around here, often in the shade and under brush.
They're pointy leafed and stay green year round too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

Looks nice but will Fu#k you up
View Quote
This!!! Bushes from hell! We have them under each window and I dare someone to screw with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top