Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 10:35:27 PM EDT
I think we can all agree that long term survival might mean learning to rehandle your own out doors tools. That is why I post this here.

I just bought a spoke shave at the flea market and I thought I would share it with you all. I took pictures of all three of my antique spoke shaves.

The first one is from Union Mfg Co. New Briton, CT., which is stamped on the blades. No date on it. It's a combination of flat and radius. I bought it for $10 at a flea market.

The second is exactly the same pattern as the first with no stamping on the blades, but it has a patent date of June 19, 1866. I think it might be older than the first. It's set up the exact same way, flat one side and radius on the other. I bought it at an antiques store for $15.

The last is the newest in my collection. The only markings is Stearn's. It spent almost 24 hours in the electrolysis to get it cleaned up. I sharpened up the blade and it cuts beautifully. It still has a few pits to work through as I resharpen.  It's really freakin cool. I just bought it at the flea market for $8.

I have a modern Stanley flat sole spoke shave and a Chinese Convex sole spoke shave that really came in handy on my last handle for around the palm swell. Everyone knows what the modern ones look like.

Anyway.....the old ones work wonderfully, and you are holding a piece of WORKING HISTORY! I was just playing with them and I can't believe how well they work compared to the modern ones. Next handle I will definitely give them a work out. Very cool!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh. So like a cross between a plane and a drawknife? Neat
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
This pair of Stanley's cost me $20. $8 for the mini plane and $12 for the Model 64 spoke shave. 

It took me about an hour to clean up the rust and poor sharpening on the blades. It was well worth the money and time. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Stan is a knuckle buster

Nice spokeshaves though, I have a few from my Wood Model Maker days
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky, because I've never seen a spoke shave at a flea market in my area, even though I specifically look for them.  Maybe it is something rare in the southeast?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of spokeshaves in SE Michigan, where The Motor City was.
OP is in Ohio,just a bit South, so they are plentiful there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top