Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 12:26:05 AM EDT
Have the goings on in Syria and North Korea been cause to modify your preping routine?

I was a kid who got into preping during the cold war and after seeing such cinematic greats as The Day After (TV Movie) and Red Dawn. As I grew up, nuclear war and it's fallout was a prime aspect of my readiness plans. But as time went on and the Berlin wall fell My plans for atomic apocalypse turned in other more relevant directions, it has literally been years since I gave it much thought. With the chemical weapons use in Syria and the nuke saber rattling of North Korea, these threats have been working their way back into my mind. Am I the only one? I know that the CIA says N.K. is years away from a viable missile delivery system, but it is starting to seem that the threats of the past are coming back around. How many have started to think that a nuclear exchange might be a possibility?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Trump got elected, so I'm buying all I can while it's cheap. So, Yes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
With Trump attacking conservatives, and the Democrats opposing absolutely everything he does, I think a raging liberal president in 4 years is a plausible, even probable scenario.
I'm trying to become as financially secure as possible in the meantime. In 4 years I would also like to have solar on the house, a bigger garden, a water storage tank, body armor, and full-face respirators for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With Trump attacking conservatives, and the Democrats opposing absolutely everything he does, I think a raging liberal president in 4 years is a plausible, even probable scenario.
I'm trying to become as financially secure as possible in the meantime. In 4 years I would also like to have solar on the house, a bigger garden, a water storage tank, body armor, and full-face respirators for everyone.
View Quote
This is what scares me the most, not N.K. and Syria. There is a clear separation in the society. This has never lead to anything good. Trump is about 20 years too late to make any major changes. I'm more concerned now than I was 5 years ago although I must admit that I was really scared when Hillary was running for president and had a good chance to win.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The Left has become totally unhinged and I think out of their minds.
Now they are beginning to arm themselves to boot. Personally, I don't underestimate them like members here in G.D apparently do.
That includes the politicians they put in office.

The career Gov. employees seem to be doing everything they can to block Trump at every turn including releasing secrete .gov info.

Russia, China, N. Korea trying to drag their nuts all over us like they have been for the last 8 yrs.
No Trump telling them no more.  ( I'm glad for this )

So, I'm actually stepping my family's preps up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Somewhat. Over the last 4 years I got married and built a house on my family farm, in my opinion this was one huge prep so to speak. Being back on the farm with the ability to fish, hunt, grow a garden, store food at a permanent location has lead to my preps evolving as the political environment has evolved but my direction or goals really haven't changed but the sequence in which it all happens has taken shape to match the political environment.

Over the last 6 years or so I have tuned my ghb and bob and spent a lot of money on guns and ammo out of fear of them being banned quite frankly. Far beyond what is necessary for being prepared but it is my hobby and they sort of go hand in hand. Now that the political environment is more favorable to the 2A and the SCOTUS is in good shape for now I can ease off of that and put more of an emphasis on "homesteading". Since we built I have gotten a generator, planted some fruit trees, raised bed gardens and my wife has taken an interest in canning. I'm building a storage room in the garage for summer surplus that gets canned, rice, beans, freeze dried etc. I would like to get gas masks for the family in light of the Syrian gas use and the possibility it could be used by terrorist but I've always wanted those they have just been on the back burner. I also recently started on a 32x20 shed, 16x20 will be closed in and insulated to be used as a work shop and reloading room so I can make my own ammo, the rest will be used for more storage and will have an area with a drain for skinning deer. I've also purchased two calves that will be slaughtered in the fall and distributed between my house, my brothers and parents. Mom has chickens with more eggs than we can all eat.

As far as a nuclear threat I don't think I have to money to prepare for a nuclear strike nearby and I don't live in a location conducive to a nuclear strike nearby so I just can't justify the funds it would take for a fall out shelter. I also think things with NK will settle down, they do this at the start of every new administration to remain relevant.

So I guess what I'm saying is slow and steady as always on my end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Trying to resist the urge to relax on purchases as well.  Like others have said it's not so much NK I'm worried about, it's who takes leadership (control) 3.5 years from now.
   Mainly working on financial stability, and probably moving in this time frame.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have the goings on in Syria and North Korea been cause to modify your preping routine?

I was a kid who got into preping during the cold war and after seeing such cinematic greats as The Day After (TV Movie) and Red Dawn. As I grew up, nuclear war and it's fallout was a prime aspect of my readiness plans. But as time went on and the Berlin wall fell My plans for atomic apocalypse turned in other more relevant directions, it has literally been years since I gave it much thought. With the chemical weapons use in Syria and the nuke saber rattling of North Korea, these threats have been working their way back into my mind. Am I the only one? I know that the CIA says N.K. is years away from a viable missile delivery system, but it is starting to seem that the threats of the past are coming back around. How many have started to think that a nuclear exchange might be a possibility?
View Quote

Not at all...

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.
Just keep plugging along....
I moved outta the city..started growing. Raising food..redundancy in preps..etc at. Etc.
5 years later....still going steady.... just instead of 1k of ammo I'm buying more fruit trees or more seeds...or tools....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought Potassium Iodide for the first time. That was a impulse purchase.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
As others have said this is our chance. Ammo and gun prices are dropping, over the next 3.5 years is the best time we have had in awhile...and may ever have to stack things wide and deep which the future gov will deem as contraband. Even under the most liberal government people will still need to eat. As long as grocery stores are open you can work on food preps, but I'm afraid our 2nd amendment right will not always be here. Prepare for the worst. Pray for the best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]
We don't garden or raise meat anymore. It becomes a target. I don't care how tough any of you guys are, if you get noticed you are dead meat.
The best you can hope for is complete desolation without rape, torture or death. Foraging and urban ranching/farming has become our focus, past dry goods that people won't suspect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh, brought to you by the same news that said he wouldn't be elected. Fake news.

How long will we be fooled by fake news?

NK and Syria are little side shows taking up way too much of our attention. China is still our worst enemy. Sadly, we'll have to rely on the Gov to solve North Korea as a problem, or be able to stop anything the Norks try.

I've been buying this whole time and stacking deep and tall. I'm taking a short break to get on top of other stuff. Not the cheapest way to do it, but I'm not a fortune teller. Buying more ammo and mags has become a hobby, or even bad habit. I'm stocked. After some other priorities are taken care of, I'll get a good year or two of ammo buying under Trump, though most likely 5-6 years!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My prepping has always just been a matter of living as self-sufficiently as possible - or, more accurately, learning how to live as self-sufficiently as possible - so no real changes here.

When you boil off all the political drama and social posturing, it's hard to come up with a peaceful resolution to all of this.  The differences lie too deep; this is literally a neighbor-against-neighbor battle to defend each's fundamental beliefs, and neither side is willing to compromise at that low a level.  We're not changing their minds, they're not changing ours, and we've about reached the breaking point in trying to govern both under the same set of rules.

Maybe I will go top off a few fuel jugs after all.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I have bought plenty of pew pew items,  now I am looking at stacking ammo deep

I carry an AR in my car now,  with the crazy left I do not know what the hell is going to happen

and if the right does not get their shit together the left will be in charge 4 years from now

so yea the next 3 plus years I will be getting what I can paid off and getting more supplies

stay frosty
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Never saw the point in a plate carrier, but this ANTIFA nonsense changed that. Duffel with an AR pistol, PC with level IV plates and a basic ditch bag goes with me out of town now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never saw the point in a plate carrier, but this ANTIFA nonsense changed that. Duffel with an AR pistol, PC with level IV plates and a basic ditch bag goes with me out of town now.
View Quote
I hear ya, I didn't plan on buying a helmet and a Go Pro as part of my disaster plan but they are part of it now because of the Antifa shit show. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
We've been treading water for while now.  But the Trump administration is our last breath of fresh air before we're dragged back under the water and drowned for good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I took care to stock up on mags, ammo and other weapons I might need/want before the election because I thought for sure that Hilldawg was going to win. I am actually slowing down on my buying, concentrating on saving and working towards trying to move to a smaller community. By this time next year, I hope to be outside of the city.

ETA - Nuclear war is a big reason for wanting to get out of the city.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top