Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2017 6:35:45 PM EDT
So I've always had bicycles around, as a kid growing up, even as an adult.  My kids have bicycles.  I think we have about 8 now that all are in working order, and more that aren't.  I know in 3rd work countries, bicycles are a major form of transportation.  As a kid, I rode everywhere, but rarely had a flat tire or a malfunction.  I remember changing inner tubes a very few times, and that was with major use on roads.

However, now with the 8 bikes we have going, approximately 1/2 of them are always down for repairs.  Flat tires, chains popping off, brakes that suddenly tighten up and need adjusting, bearings in the pedals that go bad and start to scrape.  Some of these bikes are Walmart specials, but some are not that cheap.  The one that has held up the best is a $500 Fuji.  

The major issue that I have found is that tires are terrible.  It doesn't matter if I get the more expensive Slime inner tubes that are supposed to be self sealing to a degree.  They go flat just as fast.  I have gotten several brands of inner tubes also.  I finally ended up going to solid (no flat) tubes in some of the bikes, and these seem to hold up pretty well, but never fit just perfect.  The tire itself has a lot of play in it over the solid tube, and I think these tires will wear out faster just from the extra scrunching that they go through b/c they are not tight.  

Mostly we ride on a wooded path.  There are some thorn bushes, but not very many and they aren't in the main path.  

I did think at one time that bicycles could be a viable SHTF transportation method, but am really starting to question that.  Maybe I should try Kevlar tires next.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Beats walking.

Add a motor and trailer to haul more gear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Worked for the junkyard kids.  just saying
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Get Mt. Tuffy tire liners.  They go between the tube and inner tire.

They ad some weight but armor the tubes up.

On my winter bike I also line the inside of the tire with duck tape, then put the tire liners in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
on a side note; this morning I was thinking about how I commute in for work - 70 miles one way. This got me thinking about how utterly fucked I'd be if an EMP or something went off while I was at work, and how the hike back to my house would be days.  I always leave my house with over half a tank of gas so I would have enough fuel to make it back home if an event happened at work; I even planned my route to return home on how it would avoid all major roads and highways.

But being stuck near the DC beltway and having to hike back towards Appalachia would truly suck.  I'm considering putting one of those folding bikes in my trunk, or actually - don't laugh - a pair of roller blades.  They would take the least amount of trunk space next to my GHB.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
By the time I was 12, I was re-truing my own wheels, maintaining and replacing tires/tubes, patching tubes, lubing chains, and adjusting / replacing brakes and shifter cables.

All of that on bikes I bought myself, or went 1/2 and 1/2 with my parents on.

Make the maintenance a group activity with the owner of the bike doing hands on and soon your kids will be pulling their own weight on this.

Ho Chi Minh proved that even a broken bike makes a good way to carry cargo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]

They can be very handy and go places your car just can't even comprend
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
As an avid mountain biker, I would absolutely consider my bikes as an alternative form of transportation in a SHTF scenario. The technology in quality bikes has improved a good deal in the past 10-15 years, and I feel every bit confident that my bikes would be an asset.

A few things to consider:
    For tire issues, mountain bikers have been running tubeless for years now, with rim tape and a good "goo" in the rim/tire holes 1/4" and smaller self heal without issue. You can also get much stronger casings in your tires, tires with casings like the specialized grid, or maxxis EXO casing, are pretty tough in general, last over 1000 miles if mostly dirt riding, and can be repaired in a pinch with rubber cement and a spare inner tube if you get a larger hole in them.

Crankset issues, the easiest way to eliminate these problems, is to eliminate the systems causing the problems. I run single speed (no gears) with a user-serviceable bottom bracket that is greased every 500-750 miles. I also run upgraded hubs front and rear which are mostly bombproof for reliability.

An interesting experiment in the sustainability of using a bike for transportation in less than ideal conditions is the tour divide race, (http://tourdivide.org/) its nearly 3000 miles, with some riders going unsupported (meaning they bring everything they need or find it along their way).

If you aren't in shape or riding on a somewhat regular basis, your bike is about as good as your BP credit card during SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Fast walking speed that is sustainable 4mph.

Slow biking speed that is maintainable 10-12mph.

So if your bike has a catastrophic failure after just one hour of riding you are already 1.5-2 hours ahead of the other walkers.

Mike drop
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
OP how often are you refreshing the coating on the tubeless tires? Should be quarterly. I started mount biking in December here in phoenix (i.e. Land of sharp pointy rocks everywhere) with tubeless tires and no flats. There are better tires out there, but not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I would definitely consider a bike a SHTF-worthy transportation option.

Tire issues aside, if you've never ridden a bike that cost over $500 vs. say a WalMart special, you'd be amazed at the difference.  A quality bike weighs significantly less, requires less pedaling effort, and will generally hold up better than any el-cheapo bike.

I'll be honest, I had quite forgotten (or perhaps never considered) the utility of using a bike as a pack mule VC-style.  Pedals and chain would be optional for that use, so even a broken-down bike could be pressed into service.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As an avid mountain biker, I would absolutely consider my bikes as an alternative form of transportation in a SHTF scenario. The technology in quality bikes has improved a good deal in the past 10-15 years, and I feel every bit confident that my bikes would be an asset.

A few things to consider:
    For tire issues, mountain bikers have been running tubeless for years now, with rim tape and a good "goo" in the rim/tire holes 1/4" and smaller self heal without issue. You can also get much stronger casings in your tires, tires with casings like the specialized grid, or maxxis EXO casing, are pretty tough in general, last over 1000 miles if mostly dirt riding, and can be repaired in a pinch with rubber cement and a spare inner tube if you get a larger hole in them.

Crankset issues, the easiest way to eliminate these problems, is to eliminate the systems causing the problems. I run single speed (no gears) with a user-serviceable bottom bracket that is greased every 500-750 miles. I also run upgraded hubs front and rear which are mostly bombproof for reliability.

An interesting experiment in the sustainability of using a bike for transportation in less than ideal conditions is the tour divide race, (http://tourdivide.org/) its nearly 3000 miles, with some riders going unsupported (meaning they bring everything they need or find it along their way).

If you aren't in shape or riding on a somewhat regular basis, your bike is about as good as your BP credit card during SHTF.
View Quote
Very interesting.  Can you post some of the bikes you like?  I've never used adult single speed bikes, didn't even know these were around.  And maybe some other quality equipment that you find useful.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a specialized mountain bike from the mid 90's that is still operational today, its had some JB weld repairs, including the rear derailer, and its a heavy steel framed beast but some will go a long time without needing much on repairs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Its a little tough without knowing your budget, but, i'll list off what I use and ride and provide some more budget-friendly options as well.

Bike: Specialized Crave SL ($1300)

Wheelset 1: One off build with I9 hoops and Hadley Hubs ($800)
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent Exo 29", 2.4" wide front, 2.2" wide rear ($90)

Wheelset 2: Roval Control SL 29 with DT Swiss 240 hubs (free... because I blew out enough of the stock wheels on the bike that the company (specialized) gave me an upgraded set $1200)
    Tires: Specialized Fast Trak Grid, 2.3" wide front, 2.1" wide rear ($90)

Carbon Fiber bars and seatpost... (not needed for recreational use, but if you want them, specialized sells them for $140 each.)

"cycloputer", this device is quite possible the best $45 I ever spent. Uses a magnet and sensor on the front wheel and a small (think 2" tall by 1.5" wide) screen that mounts to the headset (dead center of handle bars) and can give you time, current speed, distance travelled, and total miles travelled. Easy to setup, and my batteries usually last about a 1.5 years (CR2032).

Helmet is a MUST (think of it like eyepro at the range, hopefully you NEVER need it, but if you do, you'll be glad it was there), anything available at your local bike shop should do just fine, of course... I wear a specialized helmet (notice a trend yet?).
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Pedals, most "high end" bikes do NOT come with pedals, your dealer or shop will likely happily throw some plastic flats on for you for free, and then you face the decision of using "clipless" pedals or platforms. Clipless.... clip to your shoes. (I know, the name makes no sense, they named them back in the era of "clip" pedals, which have the hoop/cage at the front that goes over your toe when riding on them.) I despise clipless, mostly because I'm not always racing my bike, some of the trails I ride are 60+ miles of "singletrack" that beg to be seen for longer than the heart pounding 18-15 MPH that you are flying through them in, I prefer a good set of platform pedals with cleats and some 5ten shoes, so that I can get off the bike and wander some without hobbling around on awkward shoes. DMR Vault pedals are about $90, and 5Ten freerider shoes can be found for about $65, the shoes are designed like a lot of "skating" shoes, with a waffle type pattern that works excellently with the cleated pedals and "locks" your foot in place. 5Ten started out as a hardcore mountain climbing company and has a pretty good reputation for making durable shoes. The other perk of platforms, is that in a SHTF scenario you aren't going to be monkeying around with goofy shoes on trying to fight zombies or hoarde twinkies, you can hop on with basically any good shoe or boot and take off. I've ridden on mine in several pairs of combat boots (Garmont, Bates, and Rocky) and all have felt stable and locked in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that I've scared you with prices, I will warn you that if you get into it, biking is NOT CHEAP. Sure, you can get a good basic bike and gear for around 1k, but just like black rifle disease, upgrades start tempting you at every corner. My suggestion is to start small, and add things as you see the need. You don't NEED the latest whiz-bang gadgets and technology to enjoy or take advantage of it, which is a lot of what started the single speed world of mountain biking. People were fed up with 21 speed bikes and all the gadgets and technology and wanted to get back to the core of mountain biking. Pedal hard, conquer trails, rest, repeat.

How would I start, if I had nothing right now?

Two pairs of cycling shorts. No, you don't need to wear spandex pants. I like, and wear, Zoic Ether Bike Shorts, the shorts look like a normal fitness/casual short, and come with a liner that has padding in the right areas to keep your backside from getting sore. They are worth every penny. If you think you don't need them, gym shorts work fine, but don't come crying to me after your first 15-20 mile ride.

Helmet, you can spend from $50 to infinity. As long as its designed for the type of riding you intend to do, fits your head, and is from a quality manufacturer, its good to go. Bell is a good company putting out some affordable designs. This is another instance where your local bike shop is a real asset, they should be able to help get you set up with the right helmet, and a lot will GIVE you your first helmet when you buy a bike through them.

Pedals, start with plastic platforms until you decide what you need or like best, or think you might like.

Shoes, gym shoes work fine. The pattern on the bottom of some converse shoes also works really well with a lot of "studded" type flat pedals.

Water bottles. Two mounts on the bike, and two bottles. Non-negotiable. You've gotta have water.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Bike, this one is tough, here are a few options for NEW bikes under $1000 in the single speed setup. I'd strongly suggest you search your local craigslist and classified ads for "single speed" or "singlespeed" to start with, you can likely find someone offloading a few year old model at a steep discount, used bikes drop in value pretty quickly with new model year releases, I'd expect to pay between 70% and 50% of what it cost new. You can also convert a non-single speed to a single speed using a chain tensioner (factory single speeds use an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain).

Kona Unit: Priced right at $999 for a complete, ready to ride bike.

Surly Karate Monkey Available in both 29" wheels and 27.5" wheels, but you're going to pay more, about $1400 for the bike

Specialized Crave SL (2016) you may be able to find a dealer that is trying to offload last years stock, specialized switched models this year so as of yet they don't have a SingleSpeed bike.

Trek Superfly SS (2016) same story as the specialized

If you want the FN SCAR 17 of the single speed world, check out vassago bikes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Example of used deals... In the charlotte NC area, on a certain site run by a man named "craig", that has a "list" of things for sale.... one might be able to find a "Surly Karate Monkey Mountain Bike" in size XL $650 that looks to be in good shape. Figure another $100-150 to have a shop go through it for you and give it a good once over. Or, use it as the learning experience to start turning your own wrenches and working on things yourself. Slowly get the tools you need to work on it. Basic allen wrenches, a chain whip, and some screwdrivers will go a long way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#19]
When I biked in Arizona, the state where every plant is spiny, the only thing that kept me from getting flats was kevlar tire liners. Slime is a joke. Solid tubes suck to ride on. Carry an extra tube when you ride even with that stuff. It's saved my day before.

I have no experience with the higher end tubeless tires, but if I bought a new bike today that's what I would look into.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#20]
They work well for thorns, spines, and rock rash out here on the east coast, but carrying a hand pump and tube are 100% worth the extra few ounces.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I second redtruck's recommendation of flat pedals and 5ten shoes. The rubber used in 5ten shoes has great traction for running around in and the flat pedals mean you can use them with whatever footwear you have on.

Don't go super aggressive. with clawed pedals. Sucks to slip and get clawed by your pedal (especially in SHTF where hygiene and antibiotics may be an issue).

As far as single-speed vs multiple gears go, consider numerous factors:
- is your area flat or hilly? Fixies suck on hills.

- SHTF transport? Means you're likely hauling stuff as well as yourself. Single speed + 50lbs of gear REALLY sucks ESPECIALLY if you have a hill.

- multiple gears, sure, more complexity means more stuff can malfunction. Personally, I can't really think of incidents where my 10-15 speeds had significant gear issues that didn't involve crashing or severely worn parts (i.e. excess of couple thousand miles). Keep some tools. Learn basic bike maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Single speed is NOT for everyone, you have one speed, and use muscle to conquer hills and obstacles. When I say single-speed, I am not talking about hippie fixies either, the difference? Single-speed bikes have a freehub and ratchet mechanism in the rear hub which allows you to "coast" without pedaling. Gears can be nice, and a lot of people use them with minimal issues, but derailleurs need adjustment, geared bike chains are more prone to issues, chains slip, and truthfully, the average geared bike really only provides about 7-8 different speeds, despite having many more gears available. Now, I do think some of the newer 1x systems are worth looking at, but for a quality 1x system you will likely need to spend close to 2k.

One of the things to consider with regards to lugging 50lbs of gear, is that with a single speed you can change the cog size of the rear gear, essentially allowing you to tune the bike to make it easier (and slower) or harder (and faster). If you knew you were lugging an extra 50lbs of gear, I could see some merit in going from say a 16 tooth rear cog, up to a 20 or 21 tooth cog.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Make sure you check the tire carefully when you patch or change a tube, oftentimes there is something stuck in the tire still.  I just run my fingers inside the tire, making sure I don't miss any areas.

If your tire pressure is to low you can get snake bite punctures, you can tell because of the location of the leak is near the rim not the tire.

Bad rim strips can cause flats as well, so take a close look at the rims.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Im in the same boat bud.  31 miles to home.  I am thinking about buying a cheap but durable bike and keeping it in my truck bed, under the tonneau cover just for that emergency.  

Quoted:
on a side note; this morning I was thinking about how I commute in for work - 70 miles one way. This got me thinking about how utterly fucked I'd be if an EMP or something went off while I was at work, and how the hike back to my house would be days.  I always leave my house with over half a tank of gas so I would have enough fuel to make it back home if an event happened at work; I even planned my route to return home on how it would avoid all major roads and highways.

But being stuck near the DC beltway and having to hike back towards Appalachia would truly suck.  I'm considering putting one of those folding bikes in my trunk, or actually - don't laugh - a pair of roller blades.  They would take the least amount of trunk space next to my GHB.  Thoughts?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#25]
In Asia, they use bicycles extensively for transportation of good because most of the countries are so poor. It came as a surprise to the US that the VC used bicycles to transport men and materials in Vietnam, it is an every day occurance even in present day Asia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Schwalbe touring tires. And always carry a spare tire and tubes.

Start with a very solid bike. As with everything research and be willing to spend the money on good stuff. The Surly Ogre or Troll will take you around the world with little maintenance.

I recently with through a serious personal SHTF and I cannot stress how important my bike has been to my survival. It is still my daily transportation and grocery getter
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#27]
You'll laugh but even one of those razor scooters could be real helpful to cruise down a paved road or sidewalk. Its a lil faster then walking and easier to throw in a trunk than a bike. But I would have to think it(bike or whatever transport option) would just be another have that the have nots will target. Good shoes and enough water and calories to get you home is the real must have item.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#28]
For those with medical problems that may keep you from being able to pedal a bike for a long time, check out the new electric bicycles. I've seen some reviews and demos on Youtube and was simply amazed. Battery and motor control technologies have changed a lot. There are some electric bikes that can go for 50+ miles on a single charge and can travel pretty darn fast.
Yes, an electric bike can be expensive and there is a lot more to go wrong with it. It also requires a power source for recharging. One thing is that it beats walking and electricity costs a lot less than gasoline. Gasoline will probably be one of the first things to disappear during a major SHTF. The bike batteries can be recharged with solar panels too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I have seen someone here in fl that uses his electric bike as his main source of transportation, and he does have the solar rig juicing a battery bank. The person does it for a green lifestyle and not a prepping point. It works for him but it certainly was investment of around $1500 if he told me correctly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I am getting old with some injuries that make riding a bike a chore but I have several for SHTF because who knows what will happen. would like to add a cart to pull behind it.
I also have a customer that rides an electric bike and it's nuts how fast it is and he tells me that it's good for 30 miles.
If I didn't get lost in all the options I would already have one as I could see a need to get out of trouble fast as well as arriving somewhere not worn out and breathing to hard to take a necessary shot.
I remember delivering newspapers on my bike as a kid and getting chased by dogs and a free boost of speed would have been great.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#31]
This has pedals does it count as an option....
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.motopeds.com/images/images/R-side_z_1200.jpg
View Quote
That is more of a marketing ploy than anything else, but there are a few kits with small engines and even pre-made motorized bicycles like that out there.  I have seen claims of 100 mpg on the, but not sure I believe it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is more of a marketing ploy than anything else, but there are a few kits with small engines and even pre-made motorized bicycles like that out there.  I have seen claims of 100 mpg on the, but not sure I believe it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably would leave the crossbow off but like the concept.
I see 100 to 120 mpg online for different kits but most look like they would die if you put a trailer behind it or went up a hill.
But 100mpg would be nice if having to scrounge for fuel.
The electric kits look better if riding at night and holing up and charging during the day.
Not being old and broken would be even better I think I will just put up more stores at the bol and not travel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a real motorcycle.

There is no shame in being medically limited.

If pedaling is a bad plan for you, then do the good plan.  

What you have posted is a POS bicycle that has a built in anchor, or it is a POS motorcycle made out of parts intended to be kids toys.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Get a real motorcycle.

There is no shame in being medically limited.

If pedaling is a bad plan for you, then do the good plan.  

What you have posted is a POS bicycle that has a built in anchor, or it is a POS motorcycle made out of parts intended to be kids toys.
View Quote
These a bicycle thread so no motorcycle option. And it looked like it would cost 5k to 10k to build the motoped so probably not a POS.
I have an RV pulling a Jeep for vacations and plan on adding bike for backup and fun to the rack but a honda ruckus might fit the bill if not a motor on the bike.
I can walk all day long so I would plan on walk ride but I would imagine it piled with gear with me walking alongside it for the journey home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

These a bicycle thread so no motorcycle option. And it looked like it would cost 5k to 10k to build the motoped so probably not a POS.
I have an RV pulling a Jeep for vacations and plan on adding bike for backup and fun to the rack but a honda ruckus might fit the bill if not a motor on the bike.
I can walk all day long so I would plan on walk ride but I would imagine it piled with gear with me walking alongside it for the journey home.
View Quote
Wife and I ride Honda Ruckus.  We just got home from a 75 mile day, and are planning about 120 for tomorrow.  Great investment if you don't mind going slow.  We have done, and are planning several different trips to include some camping.  100mpg WOT all day long.  They can handle moderate single track as long as you don't high center.  They are best suited for dirt/ seasonal roads when thinking of them as a dual sport.  

They are neat little 100+mpg machine...  50cc liquid cooled - four stroke - dual sport scooter.  Add a set of foot pegs and they become a little pack mule with Honda reliability.

30~35mph average speed.  45mph top speed.  20~25mph on steep hills.  I weigh 200#.

Once I get a little more time in the saddle I plan on writing up a thread from a survival perspective on the Honda Ruckus.  We just topped 300 miles on them today.  I can really see this being an asset with high transportation value should SHTF.  Think really fast bicycle that gets 100+mpg is super quiet, and can carry as much as you can ruck at 30mph, and go off road!

Not my pic but a good example of how you can turn the Ruckus into a pack mule:

Wife & I:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/adirondack-honda-ruckus-adventure-riding.1216990/

Any ways that's enough off topic for a bicycle thread...  When I saw the Ruckus comment I couldn't resist. Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wife and I ride Honda Ruckus.  We just got home from a 75 mile day, and are planning about 120 for tomorrow.  Great investment if you don't mind going slow.  We have done, and are planning several different trips to include some camping.  100mpg WOT all day long.  They can handle moderate single track as long as you don't high center.  They are best suited for dirt/ seasonal roads when thinking of them as a dual sport.  

They are neat little 100+mpg machine...  50cc liquid cooled - four stroke - dual sport scooter.  Add a set of foot pegs and they become a little pack mule with Honda reliability.

30~35mph average speed.  45mph top speed.  20~25mph on steep hills.  I weigh 200#.

Once I get a little more time in the saddle I plan on writing up a thread from a survival perspective on the Honda Ruckus.  We just topped 300 miles on them today.  I can really see this being an asset with high transportation value should SHTF.  Think really fast bicycle that gets 100+mpg is super quiet, and can carry as much as you can ruck at 30mph, and go off road!

Not my pic but a good example of how you can turn the Ruckus into a pack mule:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Ruckus/maxresdefault_zpsrzoryij6.jpg

Wife & I:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Ruckus/IMG_20170415_121926_zpswqxqsopv.jpg

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/adirondack-honda-ruckus-adventure-riding.1216990/

Any ways that's enough off topic for a bicycle thread...  When I saw the Ruckus comment I couldn't resist. Sorry.
View Quote
Cool. But explain " Add a set of foot pegs " to make it a pack mule.
I think I can convince the wife I won't kill myself on one and get some for Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pedals, most "high end" bikes do NOT come with pedals, your dealer or shop will likely happily throw some plastic flats on for you for free, and then you face the decision of using "clipless" pedals or platforms. Clipless.... clip to your shoes. (I know, the name makes no sense, they named them back in the era of "clip" pedals, which have the hoop/cage at the front that goes over your toe when riding on them.) I despise clipless, mostly because I'm not always racing my bike, some of the trails I ride are 60+ miles of "singletrack" that beg to be seen for longer than the heart pounding 18-15 MPH that you are flying through them in, I prefer a good set of platform pedals with cleats and some 5ten shoes, so that I can get off the bike and wander some without hobbling around on awkward shoes. DMR Vault pedals are about $90, and 5Ten freerider shoes can be found for about $65, the shoes are designed like a lot of "skating" shoes, with a waffle type pattern that works excellently with the cleated pedals and "locks" your foot in place. 5Ten started out as a hardcore mountain climbing company and has a pretty good reputation for making durable shoes. The other perk of platforms, is that in a SHTF scenario you aren't going to be monkeying around with goofy shoes on trying to fight zombies or hoarde twinkies, you can hop on with basically any good shoe or boot and take off. I've ridden on mine in several pairs of combat boots (Garmont, Bates, and Rocky) and all have felt stable and locked in.
View Quote

I've never had a set of pedals that didn't bend in less than a month, even when I was a lightweight teenager.

Are there any brands known to be "bombproof"? Bent pedals are the main reason I got away from cycling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cool. But explain " Add a set of foot pegs " to make it a pack mule.
I think I can convince the wife I won't kill myself on one and get some for Christmas.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071P4WWO?tag=vglnk-c102-20

You can find them much cheaper on ebay, just have to source your own bolt washer combo...  Took me two trips to the hardware store to get the right washer combo.  I wanted grade 8 and the bolt to stay centered in the peg.

-Again, I plan to do a SF thread in a few months after some seat time.  Probably put together some video once I get a better cam.  Wife and I are having a blast on them.  My KLR650 is getting very jealous!  

I had always been really interested in a Ruckus, but ultimately I was inspired by "C90Adventures" on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/digitalreck/ruckus%20update%2007-07-09/DSC_0008.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Password-Honda-Ruckus-Zoomer-Aluminum/dp/B0071P4WWO?tag=vglnk-c102-20

You can find them much cheaper on ebay, just have to source your own bolt washer combo...  Took me two trips to the hardware store to get the right washer combo.  I wanted grade 8 and the bolt to stay centered in the peg.

-Again, I plan to do a SF thread in a few months after some seat time.  Probably put together some video once I get a better cam.  Wife and I are having a blast on them.  My KLR650 is getting very jealous!  

I had always been really interested in a Ruckus, but ultimately I was inspired by "C90Adventures" on youtube.
View Quote
That still doesn't answer the question about what utility a foot peg has for additional cargo on the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That still doesn't answer the question about what utility a foot peg has for additional cargo on the vehicle.
View Quote
Sorry, I guess I didn't think it was that complicated.  It places your feet to the side of the bike like on a typical motorcycle opening up the "floorboard" area as optional storage, like the picture I posted above of the Ruckus all loaded up.  If you didn't have pegs on the side where would you put your feet with all that gear loaded up?  Even with the gear you still get somewhat of a "highway" peg/foot rest configuration.  The foot pegs also give you another comfortable option without gear.  With gear loaded up in that configuration they still have a really low center of gravity vs. a typical motorcycle all geared up. Just another option I guess.  I have been riding various motorcycles for years and while this wouldn't replace my KLR650 I really enjoy racking up miles on it.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've never had a set of pedals that didn't bend in less than a month, even when I was a lightweight teenager.

Are there any brands known to be "bombproof"? Bent pedals are the main reason I got away from cycling.
View Quote
I clock in at about 210-215 with gear and have NEVER bent a good pedal. DMR's are the only pedals I ride, they've survived stump hits, trees, wrecks, and me cranking on them pretty hard on some steep climbs with ZERO issues.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#43]
On the ruckus/small dirtbike note, I don't think its a long term SHTF option. Fuel is trash after about 6months, unless you intend to open up a refinery, or convert to WVO/Diesel, your motor wont have anything to run on. They are also tough to toss in a trunk or keep handy if you were stranded at work without the ability to use your car. Another issue is the noise, you're letting everyone within a mile know that you've got working transportation. All that being said... I really have my heart set on a KTM 690 Enduro in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On the ruckus/small dirtbike note, I don't think its a long term SHTF option. Fuel is trash after about 6months, unless you intend to open up a refinery, or convert to WVO/Diesel, your motor wont have anything to run on. They are also tough to toss in a trunk or keep handy if you were stranded at work without the ability to use your car. Another issue is the noise, you're letting everyone within a mile know that you've got working transportation. All that being said... I really have my heart set on a KTM 690 Enduro in the next year or so.
View Quote
That if your planning on "beyond mad max" type situation...  If anything has shown us in the last two centuries its degradation of society as we know it, the collapse of one .gov leads to another, not necessarily the collapse of technology.  History repeats itself...

This thread is a good example of modern-ish SHTF!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/687914_Gyprat-s-insigths-into-societal-collapse--Frist-hand-experience-of-the-collapse-of-the-Soviet-Union-.html

Two is one, one is none...

JMHO.

Again far of topic, not indenting to derail thread, we also own bicycles, but use the Ruckus way more.    (they are just as much for fun as they are a "prep.")  
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had tire liners as well as slime but staples in the city were the bane of my tires.  Here in the country we have goathead (plants) whose tiny spikes wreak havoc on tires.  The only way to go here is solid rubber tyres.  Nothing to go flat.  Certainly you have a rougher ride, but at least you don't have to fix flats all the time.

I'd like to get a bicycle again but darn there's no place to ride around here (vehicles, no bicycle lane and plenty of goatheads).  In a SHTF situation, a bicycle is great and a bicycle kickstand a good accessory (we're in dirt here in the countryside).
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Something I didn't see touched on is that riding a bicycle *now*--especially if you might use one during SHTF--is a great way to get more exercise. More/of a different type, even if you already work out, is rarely a bad thing. The fun factor of riding can also help people actually exercise, who otherwise would stay planted on the couch thinking about getting in better shape. Just food for thought...

As to a bike:
I recent got one of REI's new house brand bikes (unsurprisingly named "Co-op). They seem to have done a better job with these versus their last attempt at marketing a house brand. I got their "DRT 2.1" ($1599 or so retail, but I paid closer to $1500 OTD, after a discount and member dividend), which has thru-axles, 1x11 Shimano SLX Shadow Plus drivetrain, 27.5"x2.8" Schwalbe tires, X Fusion McQueen fork, and likely other goodies I'm forgetting. Oh, the most important part, it comes in "Wilow" (sort of a FDE...lol).

I'm trying to get used to tires this wide, and it's going, but they don't yet feel as nimble as I'm used to with 2-2.25". Their DRT 1.2 and 1.3 both have more "normal" mountain bike tires, and I *may* end up returning this 2.1 for one of those models. Thankfully, REI's great return policy covers such things...It's one of the biggest reasons I didn't just buy from a LBS, much as I otherwise would have leaned that way. I mention that bit, as I'm sure some less experty types might find it useful.

One of the reasons I'm trying to get used to these wider tires is I *think* they'll support bikepacking (read: loaded down with stuff, as during SHTF) a bit better than thinner types. If anyone with more experience with them has advice to offer on this front, it'd be appreciated.

There's my 47 cents for the moment. :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I think so! I like it! How much is it???
You do know the cross bow is mounted in the wrong detection!!!  LOL!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Something I didn't see touched on is that riding a bicycle *now*--especially if you might use one during SHTF--is a great way to get more exercise. More/of a different type, even if you already work out, is rarely a bad thing. The fun factor of riding can also help people actually exercise, who otherwise would stay planted on the couch thinking about getting in better shape. Just food for thought...
View Quote
The physical fitness is a HUGE factor in a bike. You get to be the motor, want to go faster? Train harder. Want to go longer without breaks? Train harder. Want to lose 25lbs and have fun doing it? Train harder.

Something to consider with the 27.5+ size tires, I think dimensionally they are actually closer to a 29er, you might be able to get a set of standard sized 29" wheels that make the bike more nimble feeling for you, while keeping the ability to run the mountain biking equivalent of a monster truck tire when you so desire.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Something else to consider - Adult cargo trikes, like you used to see in factories.
Only so much you can hang on a bike if you want to actually ride it.
Tip - spend the extra and get the multi-speed gearbox.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought a Rock Hopper for cardio.

If the grid goes down, it will be worth
it's weight in gold. I have not been able
to ride much this year, yet. But even
if you are out of shape & have to push
it up the hills, the flats are away easier
& the downhills are free.

Even an adult Razor scooter would be of
significant benefit.

John
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top