Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 2:52:23 PM EDT
Well, guys, I am contemplating something.  I was at a gunshow about a year ago and they had the little Wise food buckets sitting there and I thought "what the heck, couldn't hurt".  Picked one up and threw it behind my bed.  I was cleaning yesterday and saw it and got to thinking.  Anyone tried to live off one of these kind of things exclusively?  I know Wise doesn't seem to have the best reputation on the boards.  Still haven't decided, but I am contemplating just trying to live off the bucket until I empty it.  

Anyone ever try this?  Am I going to kill myself?  50 yrs old, decent health.  Don't take any meds.  Moderately active.

Give me a day or two to contemplate this and I will document it if I do.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell not, if you're OK with using it as a "test". You can always stop if you have any ill effects, but I don't really see why you would. I suspect the main lessons you'll learn are that you get tired of eating the same stuff over and over again, and that the "servings" are complete BS - that it won't last you as long as you think it will. But sure, why not. I'd be interested to read your reporting on it.

I did a test like this with the mainstay rations (lifeboat stuff) for a few days a while back, and it opened my eyes. Showed me what they're good for - and also what they're not.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested to see this play out.

I'm not a fan of their food, I'd rather eat canned dog food.

I predict 2 days, then you'll toss the rest in a dumpster and go to Carl's JR.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The sodium content alone may kill you....
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do this with Augason farms.  Or MRE's or mountain house.  No way in hell would I do it with the Wise crap.  The wise gives me nasty ass gas after only two meals.  Think the gas version of asparagus piss bad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would do this with Augason farms.  Or MRE's or mountain house.  No way in hell would I do it with the Wise crap.  The wise gives me nasty ass gas after only two meals.  Think the gas version of asparagus piss bad.
View Quote
Well, maybe I will be starting with a "worse case scenario!"  

Doc
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If this skinny chick made it I'm sure you'll do fine

What I Learned Living off a 30 Day Emergency Supply of Food

I'm pretty sure there are a couple threads over at the survivalistboards.com
where guys were doing 30 day survival bucket challenges.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, check thee calorie count.  Many of the two week or one month plans are misleading as they actually only half about half calories you need for the time period.  Also, check the calories on individual packets.  I once emailed a company for the nutritional info on their "two week' plan.

It was approximately 14000 calories and a significant percentage of those came from the mac and cheese.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, check thee calorie count.  Many of the two week or one month plans are misleading as they actually only half about half calories you need for the time period.  Also, check the calories on individual packets.  I once emailed a company for the nutritional info on their "two week' plan.

It was approximately 14000 calories and a significant percentage of those came from the mac and cheese.
View Quote
Yeah, that's why they use the word 'Survive', not 'Thrive'.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Ill be standing by for this! Always wanted to do this test.

Check your weight before and after..
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
In for the results.  Maybe a supply of TP would be needed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am interested as well.  I have a number of these 30 day supply buckets as well as Datrex bars which are slightly past their best buy date.   A worthy experience and would allow you to know first hand just how valuable they are during an emergency.

Last year I fasted for 28 days.  I'm not sure if it played a roll but my gallbladder became sludge a week after I resumed eating causing periods of great pain.  Not sure if this was a factor but since I never had problems prior it seemed like odd timing.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I am interested as well.  I have a number of these 30 day supply buckets as well as Datrex bars which are slightly past their best buy date.   A worthy experience and would allow you to know first hand just how valuable they are during an emergency.

Last year I fasted for 28 days.  I'm not sure if it played a roll but my gallbladder became 'sluggy'  a week after I resumed eating causing periods of great pain.  Not sure if this was a factor but since I never had problems prior it seemed like odd timing.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, thinking I will try to start this Monday.  Going to enjoy the afternoon of food and family over the Easter weekend.  Going to be cooking Crappie for Easter sunday dinner.  Not missing that!!

This is what I am starting with.  Did not know everything came in "4 serving" packets.  Should be interesting.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
In for this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
OST
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I have a few laying around if you start tearing through yours too fast.

ETA.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I have a few laying around if you start tearing through yours too fast.

ETA.

Good luck.
View Quote
I'm kind of wondering if I really want to do this .  What the heck.  Rather find out before I have to.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I noticed that there is a lot of cheese in those meals. I'm not a cheese eater so that would be something I ate in only the worst case situations.

If you like that stuff, you should do just fine. If not, you will dread each meal time.

I store foods that I eat frequently. Pulled pork, smoked pork chops, stews, chili, etc.

Having a freeze dryer is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, guys, I haven't posted on this yet, but I think it is going to be anticlimactic.  I have tried one of each of the three bags that are pictured above.  I am one of those guys who never minded eating at the cafeteria while I was at college.  The meals are OK.  Nothing to write home about, but I don't find them as offensive as apparently some do.  I have been mixing up one of the 4 serving packages and splitting it between lunch and dinner.  If it keeps going like this, I think 2 weeks will answer my questions.  I can get by on them.  Maybe not too exciting, but it is food.

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You're stronger than I am. After 3-4 days of backpacking, I'm dying for a burger or anything real.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]
How's the, er, digestion?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How's the, er, digestion?
View Quote
Well, with me that is not a fair question.  I have made enough trips to Russia and Ecuador that I no longer get an upset stomach when I go visit!!  SO, No problems noted as of yet.  (However I STILL don't drink the water in either place!  No need to push fate.)  Still passing also, if that is of interest.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, guys, I haven't posted on this yet, but I think it is going to be anticlimactic.  I have tried one of each of the three bags that are pictured above.  I am one of those guys who never minded eating at the cafeteria while I was at college.  The meals are OK.  Nothing to write home about, but I don't find them as offensive as apparently some do.  I have been mixing up one of the 4 serving packages and splitting it between lunch and dinner.  If it keeps going like this, I think 2 weeks will answer my questions.  I can get by on them.  Maybe not too exciting, but it is food.

Thanks
Doc
View Quote
I am the same way. I actually enjoy canned spaghetti-Os and meatballs, ramen, cafeteria food so while I found the wise food very salty, I would have no problem eating them, and enjoying them in some cases.  My favorites by far are "patriot supply" or "food4patriots."  They aren't quick to prepare like mtnhouse, you actually have to cook them, but they store for a long time and IMHO taste very good.  We use them for long term base camp hunting trips week+.  Combined with a sandwich, or some crackers peperoni cheese etc they make an excellent easy to prepare meal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The sodium content alone may kill you....
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I got one of those Wise free meal packets they gave out a couple of years ago. It smelled horrible while rehydrating and tasted worse. I don't mind Mtn house at all, but that one Wise meal was terrible. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Full disclosure:  I'm totally okay with mac/cheese and hot dogs .  Not to mention I can cook up a mean Raman soup dish.  Having said that, I tried a number of years ago, several brands of freeze dried foods (advertised as 'samples') to test them out - not too good but given the option (if in a really bad time), we would be living now like kings here (in addition to a whole lot of other food stuffs we have in storage).  Going for short term 'just to get by'?  Probably better other options.
Looking for long term no re-supply?  You'll be glad for the freeze fried food stuffs in your storage (even if it doesn't meet your discriminating tastes).
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, so far I will say there is much more appealing food out there.  I am feeling a bit sodium saturated.  But, it is edible.  Probably will go till the weekend.  Nothing earth shaking.  As I think I mentioned before, to me it is like living on college cafeteria food.  Not overly appealing, but definitely do-able.  Would be glad to have it in the event it was required.  Not real crazy about the Tortilla stuff.  

Doc

Edit to add; Well, in all honesty, not "Real Crazy" about any of it, but the Hearty Tortilla is on the bottom of my list.  Still edible, but not my favorite.  The four servings make me about two also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for taking one for the team.  For hurricane season, I keep some canned Hormel chili and soups, as well as some rice, beans and pastas.  That'll have to do.

I don't think I'd go the WISE route, but probably would try some Mountain House packs; however, for the price, canned seems the way to go for me.  I won't have to hump anything past the cupboard and out onto the patio, where the stoves will be set up in case the electricity goes out.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for taking one for the team.  For hurricane season, I keep some canned Hormel chili and soups, as well as some rice, beans and pastas.  That'll have to do.

I don't think I'd go the WISE route, but probably would try some Mountain House packs; however, for the price, canned seems the way to go for me.  I won't have to hump anything past the cupboard and out onto the patio, where the stoves will be set up in case the electricity goes out.

Chris
View Quote
Chris
How did you can the chili and soups? I am in hurricane alley as well. Wise is tolerable in a pinch, but I agree mountain house, food 4 patriots and good ol MRE's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Some things to keep in mind about dehyrdated or "survival" food.

1) sample it.  Do you even like the stuff?
2) Beware of "servings" that offer drink mixes.  Who dafuq wants drinks?
3) Beware of "servings" that offer oatmeal.  Hey, I like oatmeal, but I can buy a 10 lb box at Costco for less than $8.  I don't need thirty servings of oatmeal.  Gimme something else.
4) What is their source for their products?  I don't want Monsantos.
5) Containers.  Some places don't have sturdy containers and stacking them can cause the lower ones to collapse.  I've seen Wise at the store and their buckets look good (IMO).

Still what you bought is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Chris
How did you can the chili and soups? I am in hurricane alley as well. Wise is tolerable in a pinch, but I agree mountain house, food 4 patriots and good ol MRE's.
View Quote
I just have Progresso soups and Hormel chili here and I don't can them.

I'm not a hard core, long term prepper, I just need something to get me through a few weeks, is all.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#32]
You dead yet, OP?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I've done several hiking, camping and hunting trips where I am off grid, deep in the AK mountains for 10 plus days.  Almost always eating mountain house with a few granola bars or cliff bars in there for the entire time out.  I eat an entire mountain house package (says serves 2 people) for each meal.  

For long term storage I have numerous 5 gallon buckets with dried foods (mylar bags, O2 absorbed), but any time I find a smoking deal on mountain house I just buy all I can afford.  It is my adjunct food prep that gets used periodically for trips.

I think I have 50 packages right now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#34]
People try it every once in a while.  Never get much past a week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You dead yet, OP?
View Quote
If he is, I'm calling dibs.

Other considerations:

6) Sodium content. Bettter Check that out before buying.
7) Many of these packages are carbohydrate rich.  How about fruits and vegetables?  You may need to buy supplemental supplies of the latter.
8) Proteins.  Your package may say "meat" but how much is there really and how much is blended with carbs (pasta is a good example where meat is a garnish for flavoring).  If you're not used to beans, you may want to buy additional meat supplies like dried beef.
9) Milk.  Got kids?  Better have powdered milk.
10) Rice 'n beans like the skinny lady mentioned in the link.  You can stretch your supplies with a 50 lb bag of rice.  Use any soup as a sauce to serve over the rice.
11) Security.  You don't want to be the unprepared guy's grocery store.  Keep your mouth shut and you may have to diet to look skinny like everyone else.
12) Forage.  Learn what plants in your area are good for medicinal purposes and how to use them.  What plants are edible and how can you prepare them?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You dead yet, OP?
View Quote
No sir, quit my trial and no ill effects.  Didn't loose any weight, but didn't gain any.  (Realizing that I wasn't going to go over 2 weeks).  

No ill effects that I know of.  Maybe a bit of indigestion here and there, but no worse than normal.  Probably my biggest gripe is that I didn't look forward to meals, but it was food.  Would be glad to have it if I need it.  If price were the same I would go Mountain House first.  

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top