Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 3:54:07 PM EDT
$81.68 delivered from the UK! Very good price for a great axe!

Hultafors classic hunting axe

I might buy one just for fun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This axe is the exact same axe as the Hults Bruk Aneby for $50 less. This is a great deal on a top quality axe. I ordered one because I doubt I'll see this nice an axe for this price anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda disappointed....  When I read the title, I though "Hunting axe, great!".  But when I look at it, I notice it hasn't got a flay poll....  Not a huge issue, but I always sorta figured a hunters axe ought to be of some use when hunting, and the flay poll works good.....  My Gransfors Bruks hunters axe has the flay poll, and a sort of knurled kind of textured handle for more grip when your hands are full of blood and greasy fat and you are quartering the moose you just shot....  On the down side, the flay poll isn't of much use for other tasks, but I HATE using a poll as a hammer....  Tent pegs and the like are better driven with a stout stick..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Batman,  What is that?  Your 64th?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Batman,  What is that?  Your 64th?
View Quote
Actually, yes.

65 and 66 are on the way from ebay
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kinda disappointed....  When I read the title, I though "Hunting axe, great!".  But when I look at it, I notice it hasn't got a flay poll....  Not a huge issue, but I always sorta figured a hunters axe ought to be of some use when hunting, and the flay poll works good.....  My Gransfors Bruks hunters axe has the flay poll, and a sort of knurled kind of textured handle for more grip when your hands are full of blood and greasy fat and you are quartering the moose you just shot....  On the down side, the flay poll isn't of much use for other tasks, but I HATE using a poll as a hammer....  Tent pegs and the like are better driven with a stout stick..
View Quote
They did chamfer the edged of the poll, but not like a GB. Once I receive it I'm going to use a worn 120 belt on my 1x30 belt sander to round them over about 1/8".
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have that axe and I love it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, yes.

View Quote
Nice!  What are 65 and 66 going to be?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes.

I won a collins Boys axe and a very similar 1.5 lb head on Ebay. I paid a lot for them but under the going Ebay rate. They came out to $18 each delivered. I really wanted the boys axe primarily. Seemed like a decent deal in todays market.

Number 67 is a 1.5 lb head I won on ebay today for just over $13.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The shipping was surprizingly fast from England.  Hultafors owns Hults Bruk, who makes Hultafors axes for them. The Hults Bruk line is sold here in America, the Hultafors is sold in Europe, and the Husqvarna line is sold all over. The Hults Bruk line is supposed to have the best fit and finish. My Kisa, which has the exact same head as this axe, had a better edge grind so it seems that is the case.

The axe is very nice, but it does have some issues that will bother some buyers. I want to cover them so folks know what they will get with this axe from this company.

First off, the axe was shaving sharp as it came and completely usable. I was surprised how crooked the edge was ground. It was basically a flat grind with a convex secondary bevel. The end of the edge profile was a hard bump that would cause the axe to stick in a deep cut. One end of the grind was closer to one side, and the other end was closer to the other side. Basically the edge was shorter on one side of the toe and shorter on the other side of the heel.

While this would not have have effected chopping much, and most folks would be fine with a razor sharp axe, but I spent an hour straightening out the grind to my liking.

The handle was fine, but a little rougher than I like. I sanded off the warning on the back and the rest of the main part of the handle with 180 grit. Then I soaked the handle down in boiled linseed oil. It took a lot of oil before it stopped sucking it in. I let it soak for about 10 minutes and then wiped it down nice and briskly. It turned out extremely smooth and it feels great! The grain orientation is perfect.

The hang was pretty decent on this one. There is a small gap at the back, but that gap doesn't run too deep. The eye tightens in the middle and it's tight there. I don't expect much trouble from it.

The handle roughness doesn't bother me, but the quality of the grind on the edge was not as good as it could have been. Really, it was not much different than every Gransfors axe I've seen. None of them is ground perfect either. I probably expect too much from a non custom axe. It was very, very sharp from the factory. Now it's stupid sharp and the smooth convex will bite deep and not stick in the wood. Now I am very pleased.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This is my Hults Bruk Kisa on top and the Hultafors Classic Hunting axe on the bottom.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I polished up the poll like a proper hunting axe. I didn't get all the original grinding off but it won't matter.  Still looks better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top