Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 10:17:59 PM EDT
I made a video demonstrating how to make fire starters out of used motor oil, and dryer lint.
Check it out here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut your hippy pube hair!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut your hippy pube hair!
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Had no idea this site attracted long-haired hippies. I watched your entire video expecting a demonstration...WTF man?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I will do a demonstration video as a separate video, and link it at the end. Also, thanks for the kind words. :-)
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw this in gd and thought it was a troll post. Why not use something cleaner/less toxic like Vaseline? It's not exactly expensive...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not use paraffin instead of used motor oil. It burns a lot cleaner and is a lot more environmentally friendly. Recycle your motor at Autozone for free. There is no way I would cook food on a fire started with used motor oil.
BTW, I use paraffin based Fire Starter cubes that can be purchased at a Tractor Supply store or many other retailers. This is what I start fire with in my wood stove and when we go camping. It works great and it is very cheap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright, quit busting his hippie balls  It's pretty interesting, never seen it done with used motor oil, so kudos for some creative recycling.  As a suggestion, you could probably just burn as single fire-starter to show approximately how long they burn by themselves.  These should be long-lasting accelerants which are helpful with wetter conditions.  Thanks for taking the time and sharing...I grew up just north of you in Grapeview/Belfair, WA so it's good to see on the boards here.  

Oh, another disclaimer should be avoiding using these in enclosed areas.  I know it sounds like common sense, but with nylon lint and motor oil, it could be pretty noxious if in used in a smaller, enclosed area.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I made a video demonstrating how to make fire starters out of used motor oil, and dryer lint.
Check it out here.
View Quote

Like your vid Squig!

I might suggest soaking/dipping the string in some sodium nitrate [salt petre'] solution to make lighting it easier...

As far as environmental squeamishness...  Doesn't bother me...  Or Trump -likely, he just rolled back a lot of that shit today..

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Why waste time with oil?  Parafin wax and dryer lint is just as good!

And to those who called him a hippie, don't judge a book by it's cover!  He has been on ARFCOM for 12 years...  Must be thinking like the rest of us!

Bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check it out here.
View Quote
I first saw your brewers vid... thought it was funny as hell.
nice to meet you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the demo/video. Seems like one could also use those paper-mash cartons that eggs come in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top