BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those area really neat!  No dealers near me, but just a quick search shows even the bottom models are like 7K.  Your into a true pop up camper at that point, not just a utility trailer + tent.

I am thinking you could do a brand new utility trailer, raised platform with rooftop type tent at that point.  Make it tall enough for ATV or whatever to go under it.  Fun to read about and talk about but I wouldn't use one enough to justify the coin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jumping Jack Trailer. Has multi use and tough as hell. Also the best pulling trailer I have ever used.

Photos
Those area really neat!  No dealers near me, but just a quick search shows even the bottom models are like 7K.  Your into a true pop up camper at that point, not just a utility trailer + tent.

I am thinking you could do a brand new utility trailer, raised platform with rooftop type tent at that point.  Make it tall enough for ATV or whatever to go under it.  Fun to read about and talk about but I wouldn't use one enough to justify the coin.
You can pick up used models for 4K..ish if you look around. They are beef, not typical manufactured skimp on materials.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
There's alot to consider with travel trailers.  Remember you want 15-18% tongue weight.  Rear axle loading is an issue.  You need to take your tow vehicle to a scale fully loaded and see how much weight is on your rig as well as just the rear axle.  You can take your gcwr and subtract your scale weight to see what you can really tow.  You then need to look at your weight over the rear axle and see what you can add to that +82% is what you're really able to tow.  You also need to note what GVWR is and not wind up going over that either.  

Trailer sales places will tell you to buy this or that, they dont give a rat crap what happens after you leave the lot.

Says the guy with too much trailer and not quite enough truck.

dont belive the horseshit about your vehicle can to this or that.   They do not EVER take tongue weight into that equation.  Your drive with a trailer can become a dangerous nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking for a turnkey buy or are you willing to build/partial build?

There are tons of examples of builds out there on expedition sites.  I will dig through my files and see what I can find.

I'm not clear on what you want to carry and what kind of off-road experiences you are going to take this on.

A couple recommendations

1. definitely roof top tent instead of pop up...they are not cheap, but they are quick to set up and take down and very safe. They can also be heavy and that will affect your center of gravity a little (aka not suitable for Moab). I use a regular tent myself.
2. if you are going to do any serious off-roading, then you want a trailer that attaches via a pintle hitch.  Look it up.  Not the best for long haul road use, but the only thing that works for medium to heavy trails, especially up and down angles.
3. consider carefully what you are going to put in the trailer.  I have seen ones with refrig's, grills, full electrical systems....it is easy to go overboard.
4. consider security..both how to prevent your contents from theft and from the trailer magically disappearing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking for a pull behind camper for my wife, myself and our 13 yo son. Pulling it with a v8 4x4 4runner. Would like it to be fairly easy to pull on back woods and mountain roads where you can encounter some fairly rough patches but don't need the extreme off road campers. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Just bought one of these this weekend.  Light, 1950lbs dry, sleeps three (or 4x with tiny people), frig, stove, sink, hot water, outside shower, A/C, microwave, radio, LED lighting.  Lifted, spring over with larger tires. Construction is aluminum framing with fiberglass sheet outer panels.  Plenty of storage.  I'm going to add 220watts of solar, extra battery and propane.  Should tow okay with the Bronco and make it where I'm willing to drag a camper around CO and UT.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just bought one of these this weekend.  Light, 1950lbs dry, sleeps three (or 4x with tiny people), frig, stove, sink, hot water, outside shower, A/C, microwave, radio, LED lighting.  Lifted, spring over with larger tires. Construction is aluminum framing with fiberglass sheet outer panels.  Plenty of storage.  I'm going to add 220watts of solar, extra battery and propane.  Should tow okay with the Bronco and make it where I'm willing to drag a camper around CO and UT.

https://cdn1.rvtrader.com/v1/media/58b6f53e055cfe481d1da61e.jpg?width=512&height=384&quality=60
View Quote
Brand?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Brand?
View Quote
Yes! What brand is that the trailer?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks similar to an r pod, someone posted one earlier, probably what I'm getting. But it looks a bit different, and the r pods have indoor showers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Palomino  Palomini 132fd off-road (spring over lift with 235/75 R15 tires)  limited OD green package

They also offer it with a toy hauler deck.

Regular lifted version
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Palomino  Palomini 132fd off-road (spring over lift with 235/75 R15 tires)  limited OD green package

They also offer it with a toy hauler deck.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/msFCXqjk2wA/hqdefault.jpg

Regular lifted version
http://www.smartcarguide.com/listimg/img1_0214/28/img_111463951_1thumb_770x574_r.jpg
View Quote
Price?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
10-14K typically.

I've seen them for less or more than that range depending on options and condition.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks! Hadn't heard of that one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Edit: nevermind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You probably won't like what I'm about to post.  

If you are trying to please your wife, she's not going to be happy with anything that doesn't have a bathroom in it.  Might as well be in a tent.

This is coming from a guy who does have a flip up tent shower stall and portapotti, basically a portable outhouse.  

That's going to limit what you can choose, most likely it will need to be 18'-20' and over 3,000 lbs.  

I've been doing off road primitive outdoor adventures all my life, over 50 years.  I haven't solved your problem.  I've tried and always ended up in RV parks which to me is like living in a trailer park. I get no joy from them at all. My home has trees, a forest, and more privacy.  I have ended up with the exact opposite solution, which is ultra-light pack gear and my portable outhouse for the wife.  Keep in mind, I have all the eminities you can name that's in a modern RV just our living area is outdoors (even covered outdoors, have a pop up shelter) even cots with very comfortable padding, heating, cooking, movies, etc.  

That primitive road thing is a tough nut to crack.  You get into got to have a bathroom size trailers, you are pretty much into well maintained gravel roads.

Sorry, I wish I had a good solution and I keep reading threads like this hoping to find one. Best so far is a Truck Camper but then that requires a truck not an SUV.  Because of its long wheelbase, some of the places I go even a truck is limitation let alone a trailer.

Just in case you are curious, boats, same problem.

Also to let you know, be happy you have a wife that entertains such adventures.  There's women who consider Holiday Inn roughing it.   You could be my nephew.  He has the RV from hell, everything, all remote setup and every convenience you can name, pop out sides so all kinds of room,  he loads it does everything, and his wife still doesn't want to go.  My wife doesn't mind primitive camping but even after 44 years together that having to use the restroom outdoors is still problematic.  

Tj
View Quote
I ended up with a Jayco Hummingbird baja. Under 3,000 pounds with a bathroom :), we also have lightweight gear and do some backpacking. Mostly I wanted a decent base camp camper. We will find a nice spot up around glacier national and Bob Marshall wilderness where we can park it and take multi day trips with our backpacks from there. We are going to be up north for over a month so I don't mind having some comfort blended with our rugged backcountry trips.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking about using Uni-Solar roll out panels to run my 12 volt systems when we are in the rough. Have you guys had any experience with those? I like the compactness and weight. Probably won't permanently install on the camper in case we park in the shade.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your Toyota will handle that without issue.

I cant stand it when people talk about towing impossible unless your running a diesel dually....  For fuck sake find another way to justify your money spent on that F250 because you only tow your camper once or twice a year...  

Your (speaking in general here) vehicle will handle a load within its ratings just fine.  Most tow ratings are underrated to their actual ability.  Manufactures always under rate actual capacity's for liability reasons.  JMHO combined with real world real life experience.

Keep it within its MANUFACTURES ratings, yes the ratings that are set by the people who MAKE the vehicle, and you will be fine.  No need to over think it.  Sorry for the rant OP I am sick of people saying you cant tow something unless your running a 3/4 ton pickup truck with a diesel motor only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the towing capacity of a v8 4x4 4runner?  Reduce that by 20% for the max dry weight of the camper.  Food and water weight a lot and once you fill up for a weekend on mountain roads, you can quickly go from a fun weekend to a damn-it weekend, as your tow vehicle struggles.
Two capacity is 7000 pounds, I'm keeping the trailer under 4000.
Your Toyota will handle that without issue.

I cant stand it when people talk about towing impossible unless your running a diesel dually....  For fuck sake find another way to justify your money spent on that F250 because you only tow your camper once or twice a year...  

Your (speaking in general here) vehicle will handle a load within its ratings just fine.  Most tow ratings are underrated to their actual ability.  Manufactures always under rate actual capacity's for liability reasons.  JMHO combined with real world real life experience.

Keep it within its MANUFACTURES ratings, yes the ratings that are set by the people who MAKE the vehicle, and you will be fine.  No need to over think it.  Sorry for the rant OP I am sick of people saying you cant tow something unless your running a 3/4 ton pickup truck with a diesel motor only.
If that was directed to me - I am NOT saying you need an F250.  I am saying if your tow vehicle is rated for 7,000 pounds.  Don't by a 7,000 pound dry weight trailer, fill it with a weeks food, clothes and 30 gal. of water, then expect it to go up steep muddy roads with ease.

One tip, replace the tires and wheels on the trailer with the same size as your tow vehicle. Then you only need one size spare.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If that was directed to me - I am NOT saying you need an F250.  I am saying if your tow vehicle is rated for 7,000 pounds.  Don't by a 7,000 pound dry weight trailer, fill it with a weeks food, clothes and 30 gal. of water, then expect it to go up steep muddy roads with ease.

One tip, replace the tires and wheels on the trailer with the same size as your tow vehicle. Then you only need one size spare.
View Quote
That is a good tip. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Those smaller trailers will seem a lot bigger when you make the teenager sleep in a tent...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I went to an RV show. We really liked a travel trailer made by Real-Lite. Our favorite model was - RL18x. 2856 lbs. dry weight, fiberglass walls and roof and it has a nice modern interior. Torsion axle to handle better. Our 2016 4Runner should tow it very easy.
Sonic models were very nice too.
My biggest challenge is to be able to park it in the garage with 10 ft. ceiling. I may need to remove the roll-up garage door and install a wide, gate type door on hinges to allow enough overhead clearance. Unfortunately there are only a few trailers with max height under 10 feet.

Here is a 16ft long model with off road package. It sells for around $14,000.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife and I went to an RV show. We really liked a travel trailer made by Real-Lite. Our favorite model was - RL18x. 2856 lbs. dry weight, fiberglass walls and roof and it has a nice modern interior. Torsion axle to handle better. Our 2016 4Runner should tow it very easy.
Sonic models were very nice too.
My biggest challenge is to be able to park it in the garage with 10 ft. ceiling. I may need to remove the roll-up garage door and install a wide, gate type door on hinges to allow enough overhead clearance. Unfortunately there are only a few trailers with max height under 10 feet.

Here is a 16ft long model with off road package. It sells for around $14,000.
http://i.imgur.com/S46LcQ7.jpg
View Quote
That looks almost identical to the one we got. I ran into the same problem trying to park mine in the shop. The ac unit made it a few inches to tall.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Outdoors RV Black Rock Off road travel trailers. Very HD construction purpose built for rough USFS/BLM remote campsites.
Thompson RV in Pendleton, Oregon has some in stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Budget - Palomini with off road kit

High end - Camp Lite by Livin Lite

If you can find one an older Jayco Baja.  They had over a foot of ground clearance and 15 inch tires.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Budget - Palomini with off road kit

High end - Camp Lite by Livin Lite

If you can find one an older Jayco Baja.  They had over a foot of ground clearance and 15 inch tires.
View Quote
We got a jayco hummingbird Baja. Seemed about right for what we wanted.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, I'm co-op'ing your thread for a second.

I have a '14 Tacoma DCSB w/tow package.  My towing capacity is 6400 lbs.

We are looking at a Jayco 23BHM with a dry weight of 4930 lbs and a GVWR of 6250 lbs.  I can't imagine ever towing it anywhere close to the GVWR and don't have any plans to tow it with any of the water tanks filled.

Any concerns?
View Quote
Not OP here but will try to answer since I have had several travel trailers.
It depends on where you will use it. Your truck will pull it but it will have a hard time going up steep hills up in the mountains. The trailer being near the max towing capacity will put a lot of stress on your power train. You will definitely need to install a large transmission cooler. Also, make sure to use quality full synthetic oil in the rear differential.
Never tow the trailer with overdrive engaged. Install a quality brake controller like a Tekosha P3.
I would also highly recomment to add a load leveling device and a sway control system. This will greatly improve handling and braking ability.

I used to tow a 20 ft, dual axle, 5,000 lbs Gross weight, Terry Resort trailer with my 98 Grand Cherokee. The Jeep has a 4.0L, Inline six engine and auto transmission. The Jeep pulled it very well, fully loaded with water and everything, even in Arizona mountains although it slowed down pulling the load uphill at elevations above 8,000 feet. I installed a fairly large tranny cooler and used premium Amsoil full synthetic oil in the engine and the rear differential. I still have the Jeep and it still runs like new. Great vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I'll have to look and see what upgrades to transmission cooling were included with the tow package.  Given what we typically take camping, I would estimate a gross weight around 5500 lbs vs. my 6400 lb capacity.  The primary camping spots around here are all up in the N. Ga mountains so most of the towing would be slight grades until we hit the mountains and then 30-60 minutes of uphill/downhill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are looking at a Jayco 23BHM with a dry weight of 4930 lbs and a GVWR of 6250 lbs.  I can't imagine ever towing it anywhere close to the GVWR and don't have any plans to tow it with any of the water tanks filled.

Any concerns?
It depends on where you will use it. Your truck will pull it but it will have a hard time going up steep hills up in the mountains. The trailer being near the max towing capacity will put a lot of stress on your power train. You will definitely need to install a large transmission cooler. Also, make sure to use quality full synthetic oil in the rear differential.
Never tow the trailer with overdrive engaged. Install a quality brake controller like a Tekosha P3.
I would also highly recomment to add a load leveling device and a sway control system. This will greatly improve handling and braking ability.

I used to tow a 20 ft, dual axle, 5,000 lbs Gross weight, Terry Resort trailer with my 98 Grand Cherokee. The Jeep has a 4.0L, Inline six engine and auto transmission. The Jeep pulled it very well, fully loaded with water and everything, even in Arizona mountains although it slowed down pulling the load uphill at elevations above 8,000 feet. I installed a fairly large tranny cooler and used premium Amsoil full synthetic oil in the engine and the rear differential. I still have the Jeep and it still runs like new. Great vehicle.
Thanks.  I'll have to look and see what upgrades to transmission cooling were included with the tow package.  Given what we typically take camping, I would estimate a gross weight around 5500 lbs vs. my 6400 lb capacity.  The primary camping spots around here are all up in the N. Ga mountains so most of the towing would be slight grades until we hit the mountains and then 30-60 minutes of uphill/downhill.
When it comes to non commercial towing (like us normal guys towing small boats or campers), the biggest issues are brakes and transmission heat.  Its rarely the motor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is the description of the tow package:

The TRD Off Road package has the following:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any concerns?

When it comes to non commercial towing (like us normal guys towing small boats or campers), the biggest issues are brakes and transmission heat.  Its rarely the motor.
This is the description of the tow package:

V6 Tow Package

Class-IV towing receiver hitch, transmission and supplemental oil coolers (transmission cooler not available on manual transmission models), 130-amp alternator, heavy-duty battery, 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)
Trailer-Sway Control (TSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether TSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner’s Manual for further details.

The TRD Off Road package has the following:

Downhill Assist Control (DAC)
DAC is designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control and speed on steep, downhill descents. It is not a substitute for safe driving judgment and practices. Factors including speed, grade, surface conditions and driver input can all affect whether DAC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner’s Manual for further details.
Seems like awesome starting points with oil and transmission coolers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#30]
this is the solution I decided on.  imported from south africa.  imagine is the brand.  pm me if interested and i'll hook you up

two double beds, 30 gal water, hot/cold water sink, hot shower (propane), 2 burner propane stove, 90 liter fridge/freezer (electric), solar, 306 Ah of batteries, quite a bit of storage and I can stand up inside (i'm 6'5") and it came with a compost style toilet but i replaced it with a PETT.  it's got a very sturdy aluminum frame and fiberglass construction with plenty of ground clearance and inertia style brakes instead of electric, and it's all sealed so you can drive it through a river.  also articulating hitch and removable jack wheel so it'll go pretty much anywhere the truck will.
comes with a GIANT friggin tent that sets up outside and is much larger than the trailer itself, so if you're going to be there for a week...

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
this is the solution I decided on.  imported from south africa.  imagine is the brand.  pm me if interested and i'll hook you up

two double beds, 30 gal water, hot/cold water sink, hot shower (propane), 2 burner propane stove, 90 liter fridge/freezer (electric), solar, 306 Ah of batteries, quite a bit of storage and I can stand up inside (i'm 6'5") and it came with a compost style toilet but i replaced it with a PETT.  it's got a very sturdy aluminum frame and fiberglass construction with plenty of ground clearance and inertia style brakes instead of electric, and it's all sealed so you can drive it through a river.  also articulating hitch and removable jack wheel so it'll go pretty much anywhere the truck will.
comes with a GIANT friggin tent that sets up outside and is much larger than the trailer itself, so if you're going to be there for a week...

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/tv-gatlinburg.jpg
http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/tv-cadescove1.jpg
View Quote
Looks nice. What do they sell for, if you don't mind me asking?  This would be just about ideal if you do serious off-roading.

Unfortunately there are very few placed east of Mississippi for offroad travel. This is why we bought a cheaper part-time only 4x4 Toyota 4Runner.
I thought about getting a similar trailer just because I can keep it in the garage and it pulls easily with just about anything. After a lot of thinking, my wife and I decided that a smaller "full size" travel trailer is what we want. We want to be able to pull over to a truck stop or a Walmart, walk into the trailer and take a nap or use the restroom without having to raise the roof or pull out any extensions, tents or slide outs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#32]
$20-30k depending on options

i pretty regularly flip the front bed out in a truck stop or walmart parking lot to get a few hrs sleep on the road.  it takes less than 5 min.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One option

Pretty impressive for a popup.  The r-Pods are pretty good options too.  They come in several floorplans.  Winnebago is making an r-Pod clone
View Quote
The silhouette of that camper reminds me of the old Cox Camper. Both of my mom's siblings had one. They are long out of business.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No pop up, just looking for something fairly light and rugged. Maybe I need an improved towing system....
View Quote
Unless you spend BIG money, you aren't going to find any pull behind camper that will stand up to an off road beating. They are all beat as fast and as cheap as possible.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Geez! You guys sure like to spend money!
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/Omegaxx2/P1010164%202_zps29gg7ief.jpg

$300 for trailer with front box
$25   for used topper
$80   for replacement parts for topper, camo paint, and trailer license

Equals $405 on the road!

Wish I had money to burn!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a palomino palomini 150rbs offroad edition.  I pulled it, with '15 JKU Rubicon coast to coast and back, with not to much trouble.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a palomino palomini 150rbs offroad edition.  I pulled it, with '15 JKU Rubicon coast to coast and back, with not to much trouble.
View Quote
Interesting.  I have been performing upgrades on my Bronco and haven't towed the 132fd Off Road with it yet.   Do you have pictures of your Jeep and camper together?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks, how was towing with the JKU?  I have only pulled with a TJ.
View Quote
It towed ok. I could get 13mpgs if I stayed under 60mph, but only averaged about 10mpg. Going up mountains was a bit of a struggle. I couldn't go over 45mph and had to manually shift the auto. I had it over 80 on lower elevations, long straight highways.  I was probably near my max tow all loaded out, with all of my gear and two dobermans. I drove over 14k miles in 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Geez! You guys sure like to spend money!
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/Omegaxx2/P1010164%202_zps29gg7ief.jpg

$300 for trailer with front box
$25   for used topper
$80   for replacement parts for topper, camo paint, and trailer license

Equals $405 on the road!

Wish I had money to burn!
View Quote
I've been shopping for a used topper for my Frontier for well over a year.   There is no such thing as a $25 topper.   The used ones are starting at an easy $400.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've been shopping for a used topper for my Frontier for well over a year.   There is no such thing as a $25 topper.   The used ones are starting at an easy $400.
View Quote
I got lucky with this one. Two windows needed replaced, as they were tin. Replaced them with plexiglass myself. Key was broke of in the lock, and I had to replace the gas struts and paint it too. It was a Craigslist deal, and I was leery of it until I went to get it. But it's true!

I'm in the Midwest which is different from where you're at. It doesn't really matter much to me if you believe it or not, all I know is it's mine and I paid $25 cash for it and I didn't look back!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I wish I'd seen this earlier, I'd have invited the OP out for the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. There were a lot of options there, ranging from modestly off-roadable to hardcore rock-crawlable.

Most of it was more capable than some of what is posted, though.

My solution can't quite go anywhere the Avatar can, but it's mainly limited by does the Jeep have enough grip to pull anything.

It has an awning on it now, but it still basically looks like that.

And since we're in Survival, my 'normal' loadout is an extra 15 gallons of gas and 10 of water (I'm in Az, so water is important, but the cans are the same size). I always have the 2 NATO gas cans on the trailer, and usually an MWC and a Blitz on the Jeep (MFC's do not fit the Jeep rack well because they are taller than NATO's and Blitz's, and the side racks on the Trailer fit NATO's 'best'. I only have 2 red NATO's, so I usually end up with the Blitz on the Jeep - the rest of my cans are green and I prefer DOT Red in non-emergencies). The 5th sits between 2 coolers on the rack and can be whatever, but is usually an MWC. I forget how many Jerry cans I can get on the front rack if I dump the coolers, but it's a lot. (The cheap plastic can on the rack is Gas-oil mix from the garage, the Chainsaw is behind it)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wish I'd seen this earlier, I'd have invited the OP out for the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. There were a lot of options there, ranging from modestly off-roadable to hardcore rock-crawlable.

Most of it was more capable than some of what is posted, though.

My solution can't quite go anywhere the Avatar can, but it's mainly limited by does the Jeep have enough grip to pull anything.
https://i.imgur.com/4UcmxDQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KRXbD1K.jpg

It has an awning on it now, but it still basically looks like that.

And since we're in Survival, my 'normal' loadout is an extra 15 gallons of gas and 10 of water (I'm in Az, so water is important, but the cans are the same size). I always have the 2 NATO gas cans on the trailer, and usually an MWC and a Blitz on the Jeep (MFC's do not fit the Jeep rack well because they are taller than NATO's and Blitz's, and the side racks on the Trailer fit NATO's 'best'. I only have 2 red NATO's, so I usually end up with the Blitz on the Jeep - the rest of my cans are green and I prefer DOT Red in non-emergencies). The 5th sits between 2 coolers on the rack and can be whatever, but is usually an MWC. I forget how many Jerry cans I can get on the front rack if I dump the coolers, but it's a lot. (The cheap plastic can on the rack is Gas-oil mix from the garage, the Chainsaw is behind it)
View Quote
Well if we are talking about the Overland Expo where 90% of the items are "if you have to ask...", you should go with this from Overland Explorer Expedition Vehicles.  By far the coolest new camper from Expo 2016.

Most of what's been posted is fine for backcountry roads which is what the OP asked about.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
That's the expo.

The trailer guys are more competitive than the ultimate offroad rig guys like you posted. But there were a lot of $100k Scouts, $70k FJ's, $100k+ rigs out there.

But there were a lot of $3k-$5k trailer guys, and the Rooftop tents in particular have become very competitive.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's the expo.

The trailer guys are more competitive than the ultimate offroad rig guys like you posted. But there were a lot of $100k Scouts, $70k FJ's, $100k+ rigs out there.

But there were a lot of $3k-$5k trailer guys, and the Rooftop tents in particular have become very competitive.
View Quote
I missed this year due to travel, I really wish I could have been there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#47]
i used to really want an earthroamer.  they are awesome, but i think with my rig, i can actually get through rougher terrain, and being able to drop the trailer off and wander around a town is nice too.   earthroamer is pretty non-parkable in most cities
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i used to really want an earthroamer.  they are awesome, but i think with my rig, i can actually get through rougher terrain, and being able to drop the trailer off and wander around a town is nice too.   earthroamer is pretty non-parkable in most cities
View Quote
I've had this conversation around the trailer w/ RTT, vs a vehicle with a RTT.

Some of the trips I make, I'd be packing the tent away every day if it was on the vehicle. Particularly my annual Moab trip.

Plus, as vehicles get larger, they tend to be less nimble on the trail and more restricted in what they can maneuver through, so the penalty I carry for pulling the trailer isn't quite as bad as it would be. (Plus, practically carrying a lot of stuff in a Wrangler is nearly impossible)
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#49]
right.  for me the major downside is if i'm on a very narrow mountain trail and have to back up or turn around.  i'd have to unhook the trailer and move it by hand, then drive around it, and hook it back up.   not impossible, especially if i have a fair amount of time and use the winch.  but definitely annoying.   but then, could i really turn an earthroamer around on a trail like that either?

don't get me wrong, they're still pretty friggin cool
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top