Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2017 8:02:12 PM EDT
Looking for a pull behind camper for my wife, myself and our 13 yo son. Pulling it with a v8 4x4 4runner. Would like it to be fairly easy to pull on back woods and mountain roads where you can encounter some fairly rough patches but don't need the extreme off road campers. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a pop up, hard side campers don't like all that twisting and bouncing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=22

Mine is being built right now. Pop up = pain in the ass. Had 2. Put a roof top tent on the socal

or

http://hikertrailer.net/our-models/5ft-x-8ft-trailers/5x8-off-road-deluxe/

http://www.golittleguy.com/#
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No pop up, just looking for something fairly light and rugged. Maybe I need an improved towing system....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps a roof top tent?

Cheaper, infinitely more maneuverable, less mpg drain, etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not have one ,but I would look at the Hi-lo camper style camper!
Hard sided, but low for towing!!!
You could all so build one out of a cargo trailer!
If you fine something that works for you, please post it here!
With pictures of course!
All ways looking for what works!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw one of these this week.  Very cool.  RPod campers.

EDIT:  I had to cut out the name of the dealer where I saw this.  I have no affiliation.  I have the hardest time trying to post pictures.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]
We'll be spending some time in it. Needs to be a bit more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]
A build has been on my mind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw one of these this week.  Very cool.  RPod campers.

EDIT:  I had to cut out the name of the dealer where I saw this.  I have no affiliation.  I have the hardest time trying to post pictures.
View Quote

That looks about right...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You can always use a chassis that forgoes wheels to gain stability and reduce bouncing
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A build has been on my mind.
View Quote
Well if you would decide to build one! There are a few post
on here on what and how members build their trailers!
As well as You-Tube for ideas!

Let us know what every you decide!

Good Luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Will do. Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=22

Mine is being built right now. Pop up = pain in the ass. Had 2. Put a roof top tent on the socal

http://hikertrailer.net/our-models/5ft-x-8ft-trailers/5x8-off-road-deluxe/
View Quote
Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these...

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Geez! You guys sure like to spend money!

$300 for trailer with front box
$25   for used topper
$80   for replacement parts for topper, camo paint, and trailer license

Equals $405 on the road!

Wish I had money to burn!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Something to consider.

I wouldn't bother camping in a prepared campground.  

Where I live here in WA, we have hundreds and hundreds of miles of National Forest Service roads.  Most of them were cut by logging companies when clear-cutting forests was considered "managing" the forest lands.  It takes a long time for trees to grow back, and during that time most of the roads were not maintained.  The upside is that I can find total seclusion, build a real fire- like the kind where you make a ring out of rocks and cut up sticks.... but I digress...

The downside is that some of those roads, out in the middle of nowhere, just end, like.... they STOP.  There is no place to turn around; there's a 900' cliff on one side and a 1000' hill on the other.  I have nightmares about trying to back a trailer five miles back a twisting road that's barely wider than the vehicle.

So for me I prefer a rooftop tent.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
We have gear to backpack with. I'm thinking a decent base camp for three adults.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#17]
One option

Pretty impressive for a popup.  The r-Pods are pretty good options too.  They come in several floorplans.  Winnebago is making an r-Pod clone
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one of these and like it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One option

Pretty impressive for a popup.  The r-Pods are pretty good options too.  They come in several floorplans.  Winnebago is making an r-Pod clone
View Quote
Interesting...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://cdn.rvt.com/photos2/3026/7223026/7223026_1.jpg
View Quote
How do the beds hold up in high winds? Any flapping around?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have taken it to the Oregon coast where it is pretty windy (for us!) and it has been good.  The canvas and clear plastic on the sides are very thick.  One thing to take into consideration is the beds are on a slide out with air underneath, it's kind of the same philosophy as hammock camping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have taken it to the Oregon coast where it is pretty windy (for us!) and it has been good.  The canvas and clear plastic on the sides are very thick.  One thing to take into consideration is the beds are on a slide out with air underneath, it's kind of the same philosophy as hammock camping.
View Quote
I'm glad you brought that up. My better (much better) half sleeps cold. We plan on doing some extensive traveling this summer across the west half of the country. Should probably stick with hard shell.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#23]
You can lift most travel trailers. I used to have a 94 Terry. It was a 20 ft, dual axle trailer.  I pulled it on some rough roads in Nothern Arizona. Nothing extreme. No problems. I reworked the plumbing on the waste tanks to keep it higher.
The trailer weight was just under 5,000 lbs. I pulled it with a 4x4 Grand Cherokee with an Inline 4.0 six cylinder engine. I had no problems keeping up with traffic. Gas mileage dropped to about 12 MPG from 23 MPG without the trailer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You can lift most travel trailers. I used to have a 94 Terry. It was a 20 ft, dual axle trailer.  I pulled it on some rough roads in Nothern Arizona. Nothing extreme. No problems. I reworked the plumbing on the waste tanks to keep it higher.
The trailer weight was just under 5,000 lbs. I pulled it with a 4x4 Grand Cherokee with an Inline 4.0 six cylinder engine. I had no problems keeping up with traffic. Gas mileage dropped to about 12 MPG from 23 MPG without the trailer.
View Quote
Yeah I'm not too worried about the v8 towing it. Looking for a good combo of weight/size vs comfort. I'm certain we'll leave it behind at times and backpack from there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
If you camp in areas with grizzly bears, like Yellowstone NP (and immediately adjacent parts of WY, MT and ID)  and Glacier NP (NW Montana) there are regs that prohibit "soft-sided" campers in govt. campgrounds for the "obvious" reasons.  I would think the same regs apply if you go further north to Alaska.

Just saying...

BTW - The RPods are real nice, but only those manufactured in the Western Region of the company have the enhanced higher-clearance suspension system.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you camp in areas with grizzly bears, like Yellowstone NP (and immediately adjacent parts of WY, MT and ID)  and Glacier NP (NW Montana) there are regs that prohibit "soft-sided" campers in govt. campgrounds for the "obvious" reasons.  I would think the same regs apply if you go further north to Alaska.

Just saying...

BTW - The RPods are real nice, but only those manufactured in the Western Region of the company have the enhanced higher-clearance suspension system.
View Quote
Good to know about the r pod! Bob Marshall from what I understand has a high population of grizzly. :)
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just saying...

View Quote
This is true.  We were looking st a trip to Yellowstone this summer and it's a no go with the Rockwood.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious, how much did it cost you, if you don't mind sharing? This is about the only configuration for a pop-up travel trailer I would consider. The biggest issue with pop-up trailers is lack of storage space. What I like the most is an ability to store one in an average garage with a 8ft high door opening.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Oregon Trailer

Check out the Terrapod
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Whatever you get, you want to make sure it fits behind the 4 runner's airstream.  Mileage goes down to about 10mpg if you don't and you really feel wind buffeting.  I used to have one of those.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is true.  We were looking st a trip to Yellowstone this summer and it's a no go with the Rockwood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying...

Expect the same hard-sided camper regs in US Forest Service campgrounds adjacent to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area (griz country) in Montana that's immediately south of Glacier NP. Also, NW Montana and far northern Idaho is griz country but I don't know the regs there but better-be-safe-than sorry with a hard-sided camper.  Don't know what the Canucks have north of the border but it's all griz country in their Rocky Mtns and west to the coast.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
There are pop-ups that are technically hard-sided. The ones I'm familiar are Aliners and their clones.

Aliner campers
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm glad you brought that up. My better (much better) half sleeps cold. We plan on doing some extensive traveling this summer across the west half of the country. Should probably stick with hard shell.
View Quote
You can always put a space blanket under the mattress to mitigate the heat loss under the beds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#34]
What is the towing capacity of a v8 4x4 4runner?  Reduce that by 20% for the max dry weight of the camper.  Food and water weight a lot and once you fill up for a weekend on mountain roads, you can quickly go from a fun weekend to a damn-it weekend, as your tow vehicle struggles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oregon Trailer

Check out the Terrapod
View Quote
Two adults and a teenager. Need more space.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There are pop-ups that are technically hard-sided. The ones I'm familiar are Aliners and their clones.

Aliner campers
View Quote
My brother in law has one. I kind of like them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is the towing capacity of a v8 4x4 4runner?  Reduce that by 20% for the max dry weight of the camper.  Food and water weight a lot and once you fill up for a weekend on mountain roads, you can quickly go from a fun weekend to a damn-it weekend, as your tow vehicle struggles.
View Quote
Two capacity is 7000 pounds, I'm keeping the trailer under 4000.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your Toyota will handle that without issue.

I cant stand it when people talk about towing impossible unless your running a diesel dually....  For fuck sake find another way to justify your money spent on that F250 because you only tow your camper once or twice a year...  

Your (speaking in general here) vehicle will handle a load within its ratings just fine.  Most tow ratings are underrated to their actual ability.  Manufactures always under rate actual capacity's for liability reasons.  JMHO combined with real world real life experience.

Keep it within its MANUFACTURES ratings, yes the ratings that are set by the people who MAKE the vehicle, and you will be fine.  No need to over think it.  Sorry for the rant OP I am sick of people saying you cant tow something unless your running a 3/4 ton pickup truck with a diesel motor only.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Your Toyota will handle that without issue.

I cant stand it when people talk about towing impossible unless your running a diesel dually....  For fuck sake find another way to justify your money spent on that F250 because you only tow your camper once or twice a year...  

Your (speaking in general here) vehicle will handle a load within its ratings just fine.  Most tow ratings are underrated to their actual ability.  Manufactures always under rate actual capacity's for liability reasons.  JMHO combined with real world real life experience.

Keep it within its MANUFACTURES ratings, yes the ratings that are set by the people who MAKE the vehicle, and you will be fine.  No need to over think it.  Sorry for the rant OP I am sick of people saying you cant tow something unless your running a 3/4 ton pickup truck with a diesel motor only.
View Quote
Ha, no problem. I've read the same "advice".
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just curious, how much did it cost you, if you don't mind sharing? This is about the only configuration for a pop-up travel trailer I would consider. The biggest issue with pop-up trailers is lack of storage space. What I like the most is an ability to store one in an average garage with a 8ft high door opening.
View Quote
Sorry, just saw this.  It was just over 12K.  There is a good amount of storage inside when it is closed and I ratchet strap a couple totes into the basket when the whole family goes camping.  Keeping it in the garage was also a prereq for me to buy a trailer, I didn't want to spend $700 a year to store it in someone elses lot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Doing some research I found out that only one campsite in yellowstone doesn't allow soft sided campers and they don't allow campfires at that site anyway....so it looks like I'm potentially back in the soft side game.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One option

View Quote
If they made those with a toilet option I would look real close...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#43]
My uncle and his wife has been traveling all over the country for past 5 years pulling their Scamp camper behind their F-150 (previously) and Tacoma (now).  They went from their house in Florida to Homer Alaska twice in last 4 years towing that camper. It's a fiberglass shell camper and is durable.  They have the 16' model and has shower and toilet and sleeping capacity for 3 (maybe 4).  They've had couple campers in past but they said this is the best one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Jumping Jack Trailer. Has multi use and tough as hell. Also the best pulling trailer I have ever used.

Photos
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Jumping Jack Trailer. Has multi use and tough as hell. Also the best pulling trailer I have ever used.

Photos
View Quote
Those area really neat!  No dealers near me, but just a quick search shows even the bottom models are like 7K.  Your into a true pop up camper at that point, not just a utility trailer + tent.

I am thinking you could do a brand new utility trailer, raised platform with rooftop type tent at that point.  Make it tall enough for ATV or whatever to go under it.  Fun to read about and talk about but I wouldn't use one enough to justify the coin.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just saying...

View Quote
Curious, what about people that backpack in those areas and sleep in tents ?
I mean, whats the difference ?

Is it because of the all the cooking and trash in the RV areas ?

Just watched a movie the other day with the wife about a man and woman who were backpacking and the guy got ate.

Made me think if that after reading this thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Curious, what about people that backpack in those areas and sleep in tents ?
I mean, whats the difference ?

Is it because of the all the cooking and trash in the RV areas ?

Just watched a movie the other day with the wife about a man and woman who were backpacking and the guy got ate.

Made me think if that after reading this thread.
View Quote
Yes, campsites are far more likely to have bear encounters than backcountry. Food and familiarity with humans causes issues.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Here is your camper . It will blow your budget and can be had in America http://bruderx.com/
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here is your camper . It will blow your budget and can be had in America http://bruderx.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/22.pnghttp://bruderx.com/
View Quote
Bad ass! But yes, likely that is way more than I want to spend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Bad ass! But yes, likely that is way more than I want to spend.
View Quote
This is my lottery winning toy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top