Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 12:38:55 PM EDT
This little hatchet caught my eye because of its extremely good condition. It needs a bit of light wire wheel work but it's not mushroomed or even really sharpened. The one thing that intrigued me about it is how short the heat treat line is. It only extends back about 5/8" from the edge. Most hatchets seem to have a wider band of heat treat.

I haven't decided if I will restore it or just flip it on Ebay for $50.

Notice how thin the palm swell is. Nice little handle. I've never seen an original before.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a nice one.  Most I see are rusty and cauliflowered where it's been hammered.  Occasionally I'll see one in decent shape and that looks good.

I need to find a good slim handle for an old BSA hatchet.   Yours does have a nice slim grip.  Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get a new truck?
View Quote

Rental. I'm in Arthur, IL for work. Coming home tomorrow if things go as planned.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I'm officially off the reservation....you guys are going to disown me. You guys might even kick me off the site.

After the electrolysis vat I had to clean off the nasty black stuff. That lead me to trying to sand some of the scratches off to make it look nicer....Then I decided to try to make it look right with the newly acquired brushed finish. I ended up blueing it!

This is what it looks like rehung on the orignal handle just a 1/4" further down the handle. I sharpened the edge but I did not have to reprofile it at all. I left the handle proud instead of cutting flush like it was originally.

So much for original condition.....

This shows the heat treat line clearly so that line on the original picture was from the paint that fell off.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote
Same here. Nice work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top