Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 7:31:10 PM EDT
Getting set to take out my hammock for its maiden overnight and I am looking for reccomendations for a strong, light cordage with less stretch to it. Also it should be thick enough that a bad knot would not be permanent

Im using some black braided stuff that I had around that works okay, less stretch then paracord, but still a bit too stretchy for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Webbing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Getting set to take out my hammock for its maiden overnight and I am looking for reccomendations for a strong, light cordage with less stretch to it. Also it should be thick enough that a bad knot would not be permanent

Im using some black braided stuff that I had around that works okay, less stretch then paracord, but still a bit too stretchy for me.
View Quote

Racing dinghy micro control line.  Like this:  Spyderline

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use Amsteel Blue. 7/64" diameter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use Amsteel Blue. 7/64" diameter.
View Quote

Came here to say this
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Paracord with 8" of elastic cord looped onto one end? Super cheap and stays tight all night.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly, many people use this stuff.
Zing it
It might be smaller than you want though.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Amsteel (and possibly the zing it too), do not play well with knots.  They have amazing strength for their diameter, but that strength is reduced significantly when it is knotted. Optimal strength is retained by splicing. It's not hard to do, but necessary if you want to use it to its potential.
Lots of youtube videos showing how to splice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Amsteel
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Zing it and lash it are just different colors.
And both made by samson rope from the same material as they make amsteel.
I prefer lash it for fly ropes on tarps
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Dyneema is the best material I've used.  Using either Dutchware Gear's StingerZ line-tensioners or quick-release knots, these hammock suspension lines have worked the best for me.  1.5-2mm diameter is all you really need.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I use nite ize reflective paracord because it lights up like crazy and then I can find my hammock just with some moonlight usually. Also use a figure 9 carabiner to hang the ridge line fast.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
For a tarp ridge line - Zing It is what you seek.  Attach the tarp to the ridge line with prussic knots. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paracord with 8" of elastic cord looped onto one end? Super cheap and stays tight all night.
View Quote
Paracord stretches a ton, soaks up water, and knots are hard to get out. 

Zing it really is the best. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I never use a ridge line on mine.
Sorry..but I don't. Never have.
On my hammock it's all 550 or amsteel. For the slings and tie outs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Zingit is the correct answer.

how do you plan to rig it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top