Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 10:10:33 AM EDT
It's a bitch.  But we all experience it.  
How do we survive it, be it from loss of work or unrrdtvaround us or loss of close loved ones?

One thing is connections and relationships.  They provide you the foundations and security to do one main thing:   Embrace it and push in and on thru it.  

You have to deal with it now or later.  Better now and heal.  

In hard times you may have to defer the process for immediate survival.  
But when circumstances allow, you must deal with it.  

Folks, cherish your relationships.  Heal broken family ones and forge new true, real ones with friends.  

Love your children and your parents while you can with all you've got.  In closing, you are storing up your treasures for when they are needed most.  

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Mindless meme drivel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like OP lost someone, if that is the case you have my condolences. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone processes grief at different rates in different ways.
I lost my mom to cancer in late 2012.
I miss her, but I've worked through the various portions of the grieving cycle.
My younger brother is still having a much harder time with her passing than I am or was.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mindless meme drivel.
View Quote

You belong in GD.  The grownups are talking here, move along.  Or, shut up and listen, you may learn something.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like OP lost someone, if that is the case you have my condolences. 
View Quote

Yeah, prayers and smoke Philmore.  Regardless of the situation, this type of loss is everybody's personal/family SHTF.  It's never easy nor is it easy to deal with...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the point of surviving without relationships and people you care about?   Good post OP.  I hope you aren't dealing with anything specific.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You belong in GD.  The grownups are talking here, move along.  Or, shut up and listen, you may learn something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mindless meme drivel.

No kidding...but more to the point of the OP...

I'm glad somebody took the time to post regarding a subject that seems to be unpopular within the preparedness community. Grief is a critter that is distinct. One of the reasons I highly prize One Second After is that the author met this topic head-on.  For the YouTube crowd, The Patriot Nurse did a vid on this topic 2-3 years ago, IIRC.

How we react to death on a large scale, IMO, would be just as important as our preps regarding food/water/ammo/etc..  It's about being emotionally prepared and I appreciate those in the preparedness community that don't gloss over this important topic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah my loss is real n fresh. And thanks folks for positive posts.

But to the point:  grief and fear can be paralyzing.
In stressful situations, you can't afford to freeze or wallow around.  
Lots of people think when the SHTF or that put up or shut up situation arises they will Chuck Norris right on thru it.  

Fortune favors the prepared is the old saying.  
Preps are useless if you're paralyzed mentally.  
I need to put more thought into being mentally clear and well connected.  
Don't court grief or fear but don't neglect the preparedness lessons we can get out if it.  
I'm going to read One Second After.  
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss OP my condolences to you.
Your not alone lost my dad about 4 weeks ago.
But your right when shtf does happen and you experience a loss it can be hard to get your mind right.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Very sorry for your loss.  

Too many people can't handle loss.  As a society, we have more and more citizens who can't seem to handle loss of loved ones.  We are all terminal.  None of us get out of this life alive.  We are eventually going to lose people we care about.  It's inevitable.  We have to plan for it and then grieve and eventually move on.  I lost my mother to cancer almost 10 years ago.  I still miss her but I won't allow grief to override living.  We have to move on.  In a major disaster, death of loved ones is high probability.  Knowing how we'll deal with it is critical to survival.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
OP has relevant screen name.....

Grief is real.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Five years.  After that you only think about it every other day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]
OP - it does get better - that guy who posted about it becoming only every other day after 5 years is only half right/ wrong/ joking, but it does get better.

Since its the survival forum - those "survive" shows, like Alone or whatever show it clearly - winning on those shows requires skills and a mindset, and in a real SHTF the mindset and mental issues of dealing with loss are likley to cripple and lead to the failure to survive for so many. We (most) need connections to others, goals bigger than themsleves to make it.

OP - reaching out here is good, and in real life. Sorry for your loss and hoping for the best for you!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP has relevant screen name.....

Grief is real.
View Quote

Philmore can be translated "I don't like spiders....".  Just kidding.

Thanks folks.  
We do delve into the mindset for survival here.  That's why I came here to bring it up and yes, it's therapeutic for me.
All the gear - and I can be a gear whore - won't help me if I'm not mentally strong enough and prepared  to use it.  And I think networking and maintaining those relationships with people you trust is of utmost importance.  
Wake up call for me recently on the importance of my family and friends.  Also connected thru my kids with another like minded guy who she knows.  Totally irrelevant to what's been going on here but that jumped out amongst it all.  

My goal now after the dust settles is to spend more effort and time on those people who are MY people. They're there for me and I need to be for them.
Re-establishing my circle and network for mutual support.  

And that's here too.  Lotsa good info and experience.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#16]
OP nailed it.

We've had a life changing event that happened about 15 months ago, and through that I've become closer to my mom and my younger brother.  My great friends, which I can count on less than one hand, came through for me when I didn't even ask.  A few others also supported that seemed to come out of the woodwork, I was shocked.  We wouldn't have made it this far without all of them.

I believe the support we received taught my kids one of the most valuable lessons they will ever learn.

I used to be the tough guy that fixed everything and bailed everyone out..... not so much with this one, and I wasn't even the person with the immediate problem.

Whatever has happened, I hope you are as fortunate as I have been.

Good luck OP, and thanks for your post.  Everything you stated is 100% correct.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My condolences Philmore.  In the past year, I buried two pets.  That's nothing compared to a loved one but I suppose it's the last gift a pet can give us - a lesson in dealing with loss and grief.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top