Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 3:36:08 PM EDT
Not ideal, but if buried below the frost line is there any reason this couldn't be used as a storage container for items I want at a constant cool temperature that wouldn't accessed often?

I realize dimensions aren't great ...... actual usable height is something like 5'5" so it wouldn't be comfortable hanging out in but as said I'd be considering to store stuff like long term food supplies and stuff like that, might only go down every six months or so to check on stuff.

1700 gallon cisten
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
gotta have airflow of some sort.

these plans are great, http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/buildings/root-cellar-plans-zm0z14amzreb
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Water table could cause it to float up in wet weather if not enough ballast inside (depends on local conditions). If the potential exists, you'd need to come up with an anchoring method.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Second the air flow requirement or you might come back to a huge mold spore.

I watched a youtube video recently of a guy that did pretty much exactly what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Not disagreeing because I don't know.... but if it was dry to start and below the frost line what would cause the mold?  I was thinking about condensation but if it's a constant temperature I wouldn't think that wouldn't be an issue?

I might have to try and hunt down that youtube video
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The moisture in the air inside and what evaporates out of whatever is put in there.  The only things that have basically zero moisture are freeze dried.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You can buy a used Sea Container for less that that price (conex), my father buried a 20' container with just the doors showing and a vent pipe in the back, works great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not disagreeing because I don't know.... but if it was dry to start and below the frost line what would cause the mold?  I was thinking about condensation but if it's a constant temperature I wouldn't think that wouldn't be an issue?

I might have to try and hunt down that youtube video
View Quote
Look at the link I provided in the second post...you can do the same thing with your cistern.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can buy a used Sea Container for less that that price (conex), my father buried a 20' container with just the doors showing and a vent pipe in the back, works great.
View Quote
20 foot conex boxes without holes ain't cheap in the middle of the country like they are near the coast. 2500+ delivered.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
20 foot conex boxes without holes ain't cheap in the middle of the country like they are near the coast. 2500+ delivered.
View Quote

Oh hell, the last one I bought 2 years ago is in good shape and I paid $800 plus 200 to have it delivered, I was told they are going for more now at equipment auctions then they were then.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Easy to get in to but not designed to get out of.  And if any type of hazardous fumes should have collected and you get in, that will be more than a little problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh hell, the last one I bought 2 years ago is in good shape and I paid $800 plus 200 to have it delivered, I was told they are going for more now at equipment auctions then they were then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they might still be cheap because you live a lot closer to ports then the OP and me. They have been over $2000 here in decent condition for 10 years.  The 40 footers are almost double that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The plastic cistern tanks are designed to be buried and full of water (or effluent) and not dry.  They will collapse if they are not full of water.  I tried the exact thing about 10 years ago with one that looked like the big corrugated one on your link.  The soil compressed the tank kind of like an accordion.  Lost about a third of the volume so I pulled everything out of it and filled it with water.  Just turned out to be expensive water storage.

The concrete tank in the second link looks like a great way to do it.  An added benefit is that it would make a great tornado shelter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I know ones designed for septic use needs to be full, the water ones are saying they can be buried not full but that's just what I read
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top