Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 8:43:38 PM EDT
In an effort to cut down on waste, buying double, and my sanity, I have begun thinking about trying inventory management software for everything-ammo,food,tools, and supplies. Right now I have 3 different areas where my preps are stored and at least having a database would help me identify what is where and when.

So, does anyone use anything? Simplicity is the name of the game and anything opensource is preferred. I don't mind building and maintaining a database if I have to but an out of the box solution with little effort is preferred.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Putting date stickers on things that you can easily read with a large label maker is probably more than most people actually do.  

I just started putting labels on two sides of storage containers so I can still read them if pointed the wrong direction. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just put together my own Word file with tables and a bunch of recipes and other useful stuff (like how to purify water with pool shock, for example) to keep track of the long term and intermediate term storage stuff. That way I can track what's in what pail/box/whatever, amounts, storage, and rotation dates. I update when new stuff is added or rotated and keep a fairly up to date hard copy available with the stores. For personal use I've never really seen the need to do more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a spreadsheet. Everything except for oversize items is stored in standard filing boxes (and I have a lot of them)
or actually deployed (e.g. kits in the car, at the cabin etc.) Each box is numbered and the box number and each item
in the box is a line item in the spreadsheet. You can put expy dates etc on the sheet as well.

It's way faster to update than a full database, and you can use the sort and find functions on the spreadsheet app
to find things.

I try to categorize stuff into single boxes, e.g. all OTC meds go into one box, just to make finding stuff faster/easier.
Once every couple years I check the inventory (it's a hassle) and update as needed, rotate etc.

Plus side to the standard size boxes is moving/organizing the whole mess is a lot faster as well, and you can set up
a few to be priority collections (e.g. grab these three boxes if you have less than 5 minutes to leave.) For stuff
I know I will always pack, I use the filing-box sized rubbermaid action packers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Just something to think about: I use an inventory management system but its designed differently than most. I didn't use a spread sheet because spread sheets are normally used for number calculations and/or large amounts of numbers, which I don't have a need for. I didn't use a database because databases are normally used for storing large amounts of data, which I don't require. I went with Word docs with tables because I wanted a greater design flexibility and small number management. My inventories are not an amalgamate of data but rather small subsets of a much bigger picture. My inventories are smaller and encompass a specific area or need and a way of tracking a particular item. My inventories tie into my Disaster Preparedness Plan and reflect things I want to add to my plan and things I have in different locations  (see a small sample some of my inventories below).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Sketti,

Your method for organizing is outstanding.  Have you given thought to redacting specific info and posting in an "open source" sort of way?  I'm confident many could benefit.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...
View Quote

Jesus, that's a pretty book. Someone has a lot of time on their hands... Seriously though, very nicely done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Inventory software is only as good as the person keeping it updated.  If you put off entering the data and thuis forget or leave stuff out when you finally get around to it then it will be a waste of time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
This is something I've been wanting to do more of, but haven't decided what to do yet.

@Sketti - to the extent that you are willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate seeing more of your plan. I've been wanting to focus more on planning and haven't really found how to start.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]
that is a great setup! if your willing to share id like to be considered.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sketti,

Your method for organizing is outstanding.  Have you given thought to redacting specific info and posting in an "open source" sort of way?  I'm confident many could benefit.  
View Quote

Thank you sir. Yes I have considered making my stuff available to the public. As a matter of fact I used the binder platform specifically so I could give it to friends who were new to prepping and needed help. Also, I have already given some parts of it to members here and others on other sites. However, as I began giving it to others I ran into problems so I realized that I had to make changes to simplify the sharing process.

Please note that my DPP system is an incomplete product and requires a lot more work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jesus, that's a pretty book. Someone has a lot of time on their hands... Seriously though, very nicely done.
View Quote

Thank you sir. Actually I've been working on it, inconsistently, for a long time (years).
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
that is a great setup! if your willing to share id like to be considered.
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep a simple notebook with an inventory of everything I have in my prep storage. It's not perfect, but it's a rough record of what I've got on hand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is something I've been wanting to do more of, but haven't decided what to do yet.

@Sketti - to the extent that you are willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate seeing more of your plan. I've been wanting to focus more on planning and haven't really found how to start.
View Quote

I'm always willing to share. Hell, if it wasn't for others sharing their ideas and thoughts, I wouldn't have been able to get this far. IMO planning is the easy part, the hard part is implementation, logistics, and understanding/learning the different tasks within the plan.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything in my preps, closets, backpacks, first-aid kits, etc.  When I use something, I adjust the amounts and order/buy as needed.  I also arrange the list by what pocket in each back/kit and then take a picture of the most recent spreadsheet with my phone so I have the most up to date list with me all the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Evernote. It allows me to access my data from anywhere so if I'm in CostCo or something I can call up the data and see what i have in storage and see if I need more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Inventory software is only as good as the person keeping it updated.  If you put off entering the data and thuis forget or leave stuff out when you finally get around to it then it will be a waste of time.
View Quote

Steve_In_29 is right! If you do not update what goes in! As well as what is being used! It is for not!!!
So does any of this! Including Sketti data binder! Work with a smart phone? It is usually right at hand!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow, @sketti - that is impressive.  If you ever get around to sharing a redacted or edited version, I would love a copy and would be happy to host it for you in a google drive and/or dropbox folder.
View Quote
@D_J I may take you up on that, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
You continue to impress Sketti - good work there!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Steve_In_29 is right! If you do not update what goes in! As well as what is being used! It is for not!!!
So does any of this! Including Sketti data binder! Work with a smart phone? It is usually right at hand!!!

PITA45
View Quote

@pita45 - Yes, my system works with a smart phone, computer, and tablet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You continue to impress Sketti - good work there!
View Quote

@ 7R0N Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Great work.   I can offer a page on one of my web sites if you get it to a point where you can share it.
Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I use excel myself.

Ill email you an edited version, since I cannot add it to the site...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top