Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 10:09:51 PM EDT
I live in northeast Austin (Pflugerville), and work in southwest Austin. It's about a 16 mile daily commute, 25 minutes outside of rush hour and 60-70 minutes during rush hour.

The last couple days we've had some violent "protests" in downtown Austin, including one guy getting pulled out of a car and beaten, a police cruiser set on fire, and at least one other car damaged at a red light by protesters blocking the road and attacking the (occcupied by a 16 year old girl) car.

So this has got me thinking about a "get home bag" for emergencies.

16 miles is a long walk, and I only know the highways; no idea about back roads. I figure some paper maps of the city would be good to have.

Also can't imagine wanting to abandon my only vehicle in south Austin to walk north through 16 miles of whatever-bad-is-happening. For those of you with "get home bags", what kind of situation do you think would cause you to need to abandon your vehicle? I'm kinda thinking sleeping in my car (in the office parking lot) or heading an hour south to a motel in San Antonio would both be better options than trying to travel 16 miles on foot.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? I'm just kind randomly brainstorming at the moment.

Also need to come up with a good way to have a handgun accessible while driving. Pepper spray out a car window seems like it could get into the cab of my truck and be very counter-productive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the idiots blocking I35? If not then you should be good. Guess you could go out of the way and hit the toll road and come in around Round Rock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the idiots blocking I35? If not then you should be good. Guess you could go out of the way and hit the toll road and come in around Round Rock.
View Quote

Lately they've all been in downtown, but trouble in downtown has a tendancy to spill over onto i-35/Mopac. Normally my commute is almost all Mopac (less traffic than I-35).

For the most part I just can't picture having significant "preps" in my vehicle making sense, so I'm kinda looking for opinions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I am only abandoning my vehicle if it won't run and I really need to leave the area anyway.

Hat
Jacket
Map and compass
Good shoes, w/extra socks
Water
Food
Cell Phone, w/charging cable and extra battery
Flashlight, w/extra batteries
AM/FM Radio, w/extra batteries of the same size as the flashlight's
Cash enough for a motel and food and a full gas tank for several days, plus credit cards
Toiletries, and maybe some spare basic clothes

Everything in drab earth-toned colors, nothing that stands out

Have a plan, pick out several routes now while you can easily recon such.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
For off body pistol carry

You would probably just stick the basics you would need to survive in the above bag. Don't think about wilderness survival much (although a small kit might fit) I am talking about shit for evasion, escape and fighting your way out if it comes down to that.

Pistol with magazine
Extra magazines
multitool
folding knife
cash
first aid
flashlight
a way to carry water (Platypus bladder) and make it safe to drink
stay awake pills (Caffeine supplements) or hard candy
small entry tools
map of the routes or area
Notarized copies of your Drivers license and concealed carry permit
what ever escape tools you feel would aid you and you can legally have or plausibly explain away

Take another duffel and stick it in the vehicle for extra change of clothing and all that stuff and if you work in an office with dress shoes on carry running shoes or something else to change into.

In your situation I would check the news radio before you leave work and leave home so you can get up to date info on what is going on before you get to a choke point. If it sounds bad just stay where you are unless you have to move. If you move and get near an area that looks like trouble take another route or turn back. These clowns are looking for a confrontation.

Get a scanner app for your phone or a portable scanner that will be able to monitor your local area law enforcement, fire and DOT. You will be  better informed than most as far as where the trouble is as it is unfolding. Don't forget an earpiece for this or headset for your phone.

Identify safe areas you could possibly take refuge in if you have to hoof it that would also be drivable to as well. If you have family make a plan and write out your plan on what you will do within 24 hours injured/un injured and beyond 24 hours injured/un injured. This plan includes your comms plan, get off the X (initial actions), rally points, routes of travel etc etc. If something does happen to you at least when the shit calms down they can tell the police where to look for you or they can come look for you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a plan, pick out several routes now while you can easily recon such
+87!
Do you have a CHL/LTC? If yes, carry it with a few spare mags. If not, get one
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a battery bank to charge your cell phone.

Sap gloves may be handy.

Best Camo would be a Bernie t shirt
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For those of you with "get home bags", what kind of situation do you think would cause you to need to abandon your vehicle?
View Quote

The only time I've ever abandoned a vehicle was during a pretty bad winter storm when my Guard unit was called up. At the time I had an older Subaru wagon and a VW that was absolutely horrendous in the snow. Took the Subaru from home due to its 4WD, and made it to within 5 or 6 miles of the armory before the unplowed roads got so bad that the Subaru bogged down and wouldn't go anywhere. left it where it was and walked in the storm the last 5 or so miles to the armory. After the call up ended, went back and got the car out of hock from the tow company that had it.

Can't think of any other scenario where I'd abandon a functional vehicle. Anywhere I generally go is within a quarter tanks travel from home. If I can't get back home via one route, I'm trying other routes, to include seasonal and logging roads.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You vehicle, if maintained (read as reliable) and with a full tank of gas is an excellent shelter aside from your primary means of transportation.  Situational awareness starts with good intel; monitor the local news daily, especially the weather and traffic updates.  Abandoning my vehicle would be a last resort as well, but don't ignore the possibility.  Those that refuse to consider alternate plans pigeon-hole themselves when something does happen.  

I know people in Atlanta left their vehicles on the highway during a big ice storm a couple years ago; most were running out of gas and it was gridlocked.  Some were close to home, others just tried to find a warm gas station or restaurant.  I wouldn't leave my vehicle, but the hurricane induced exodus from San Antonio several years ago led to grid lock on I35; the worst place to be as the high winds and rain swept right up the corridor.  Flash floods can immobilize vehicles, as can a disabling accident.  Outside of SHTF, you could call a taxi or get a rental...during SHTF, you'll be on foot.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Look at the Vertx Gammit Plus
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there somewhere you could store a bicycle?   Better than walking by a long shot, and you don't need much gear to get home with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have about the same dilemma as the OP. I work just north of downtown San Antonio at a hospital on I-35. It is about a 20 mile drive to my home between Schertz and New Braunfels. I keep a 7 day backpack in my truck along with an AR Pistol, a Glock 21 and a little Ruger LCP .380 along with a trauma kit. The hospital I work at has a good chance of being the center of operations in a big mascal, SHTF, or disaster event.

If I had to leave during a lockdown, and the only way I would is if it was SHTF all over, and I need to get home to protect my family, I would be abandoning my truck and hoofing it home. I would be able to move along the train tracks to within a couple of miles of home. Much better than walking along I-35 or back roads in my opinion. If it was a local issue, I would stick it out and make sweet overtime pay if I was required to stay.

I keep enough rations of freeze dried food life boat rations, and MRE's to have one good meal a day for 10 days. I could make that last 14 days if I had to. I have a small one man shelter, tarp, poncho and poncho liner, cordage, a way to gather boil, filter and make drinkable water, toiletries, a couple of light sources, a couple of ways to make fire, a good sturdy knife and multi-tool, a change of clothes, a night vision monocular, and a few other survival items that escape my memory right now. I have used the bag on a few weekend camping trips so, I know it is good to go.

My plan is for speed but if I could only move slowly to stay out of sight of the bad guys, I would be covered in that aspect. My bag with AR pistol CHL and pocket gun  only weigh in at 40lbs. That's a much lighter load than I carried when I was ruck marching in the Army. I could make it home within 24 hours in that 20 miles but that would probably require me to hole up somewhere over night or during the daylight if it is too risky to move during the day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have about the same dilemma as the OP. I work just north of downtown San Antonio at a hospital on I-35. It is about a 20 mile drive to my home between Schertz and New Braunfels...
View Quote

Sorry, but this cracks me up. I live in New Braunfels, it's just about the last place you'd have anything to worry about in a scenario like this (and what would cause a scenario like this, BTW?). It'll take you about a day to walk home, and you might as well take I35 - there's nothing really between here and Schertz. No EBT crowd at all in this area - in fact, this'll likely be a very unfriendly area for those types if they decide to ever show up.

Of course, being a prepping type, I've got a GHB in the vehicle, too. I work in Austin (about 60 miles away from home) and have a 20lb GHB that I'm fairly confident will get me home alive in just about any scenario I can imagine. I see zero point in packing for war since that's not going to be a scenario we'll face that'll have me walking home. In fact, about the only scenario I can really imagine would have me walking home would be EMP / solar weather, and I'm not remotely convinced that those will leave vehicles non-operational. I really just pack the GHB for peace of mind, and CCW will suffice for anything short of the zombie apocalypse.

As has been mentioned several times, abandoning the vehicle would be completely unnecessary in almost every imaginable scenario, and would be the absolute last resort. That said, if you're gonna hoof it, don't make it hard on yourself. You're walking home from work, not playing Fallout 4...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
16 miles is a full day's walk for most people, especially with a light pack.

But if you're concerned about it... why not have GHB that's focused on keeping you put for 48 hours?  Can you bunk down where you work?  Is there a local hotel you can stay until stuff blows over?

Moving under threat isn't the best solution, but you know what level of risk you need to accept to get home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Figure out alternate routes.  Protests are generally covered by local media so you can avoid them.  If you aren't paying attention and come up on one, un-ass the area very quickly and seek alternative routes.

Physical defensive action should be a last resort.  Defending yourself against one or two may turn 20-30 on you very quickly.  Evasion is your friend in this situation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry, but this cracks me up. I live in New Braunfels, it's just about the last place you'd have anything to worry about in a scenario like this (and what would cause a scenario like this, BTW?). It'll take you about a day to walk home, and you might as well take I35 - there's nothing really between here and Schertz. No EBT crowd at all in this area - in fact, this'll likely be a very unfriendly area for those types if they decide to ever show up.

Of course, being a prepping type, I've got a GHB in the vehicle, too. I work in Austin (about 60 miles away from home) and have a 20lb GHB that I'm fairly confident will get me home alive in just about any scenario I can imagine. I see zero point in packing for war since that's not going to be a scenario we'll face that'll have me walking home. In fact, about the only scenario I can really imagine would have me walking home would be EMP / solar weather, and I'm not remotely convinced that those will leave vehicles non-operational. I really just pack the GHB for peace of mind, and CCW will suffice for anything short of the zombie apocalypse.

As has been mentioned several times, abandoning the vehicle would be completely unnecessary in almost every imaginable scenario, and would be the absolute last resort. That said, if you're gonna hoof it, don't make it hard on yourself. You're walking home from work, not playing Fallout 4...
View Quote

That's a good point. However, the area around the place I work has some less than stellar neighborhoods in the area directly to the east of it. If I-35 is locked down backed up, I would have no choice but to go in that direction home. The facility I work at had the ability to lock down all vehicle traffic. If I need to leave, I will have to leave the truck and sneak out. My plan is to stay there if my family's safety is assured. If not, I am leaving. The safest route should actually be the railroad tracks. Alot of that route is hidden and there is no way in hell I'm walking up I-35 if there is a disaster. I planned for a worst case scenario, that way I have my bases covered. I can make that walk in a day no sweat, but I have the supplies should it take me longer than that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Alot of that route is hidden and there is no way in hell I'm walking up I-35 if there is a disaster. I planned for a worst case scenario, that way I have my bases covered.
View Quote

What disaster? What worst case scenario has you walking home, but also nixes I35 as a route? Any other route would add time and distance to your journey, and I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario that would create such a situation - requiring you to walk home on foot, ditching the vehicle, yet shuts down I35 - on short notice. Maybe it's a failure of imagination on my part, but I don't see it.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
When we were having a bunch of hurt feelings in Hampton Roads and idiots were taking to the streets I had a very simple GHB.

G17 OWB with a OWB 2 mag holder.

Low profile Osprey commuter backpack.
Sig MPX with folding pistol brace, MRO, and sling
2 Spare Mags
N95 Mask
Water Bottle
Meal Replacement Bars
Hipster Patagonia Jacket
Cash
Battery bank and charging cord

If I had needed to abandon my vehicle, MPX would get slung across chest, Jacket goes on, and I look like any other 20 something bearded whiner.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know where down south you are, but here's your alternate route:

East on Ben White to 183N
North to I35N
you know the rest of the way

there is relatively little east bound traffic on Ben White, so you make good time.
When I worked in Oak Hill, this was my normal get home route to Pville, much faster than Mopac was, although it was a little over 3 miles further.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Find out where protest is.....

Drive home by NOT passing through that area even if it means a LONG detour.

Problem solved.

Attempting to walk home through the area under protest is pretty stupid.  If you are walking around the area then DRIVE instead of walk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What disaster? What worst case scenario has you walking home, but also nixes I35 as a route? Any other route would add time and distance to your journey, and I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario that would create such a situation - requiring you to walk home on foot, ditching the vehicle, yet shuts down I35 - on short notice. Maybe it's a failure of imagination on my part, but I don't see it.

Just curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alot of that route is hidden and there is no way in hell I'm walking up I-35 if there is a disaster. I planned for a worst case scenario, that way I have my bases covered.

Just curious.

I-35 would be absolute gridlock with everyone trying to leave San Antonio. The railroad tracks are actually a more direct route to where I live. They pass within a couple of miles of my house. IF and only IF my facility on Ft Sam is locked down and not allowing anyone to leave or enter and only IF I needed to get home to protect my family then I would sneak out and walk home. I am not worried about abandoning one vehicle I have a couple more at home. I only keep my bug out supplies in that truck and the backpack fits in my locker.

It don't care what you think of MY plan or what works for you, this is what I have considered to be a best course of action for me. I don't plan on leaving my vehicle at my job if I can drive out the front gate. There are other routes for me to take home other than I-35.  If I can catch a cab, then I am not fucking walking. If my family is safe, then I plan on staying at my facility for the long haul and making that sweet overtime money. I'm not about to walk off the job unless absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I-35 would be absolute gridlock with everyone trying to leave San Antonio... It don't care what you think of MY plan or what works for you, this is what I have considered to be a best course of action for me.
View Quote

Ok, that's fine, but I ask again - plan for what? You believe that San Antonio is going to empty out and I35 will be gridlock (everyone is heading north presumably, but you're heading south). This same event that has everyone else driving north will have you... abandoning your vehicle to walk south? Huh?

My point is that I haven't heard a remotely plausible scenario that would fit your plan. I mean, if it's an EMP that disables vehicles, then won't I35 be fairly clear aside from a some wrecks or something? Say it's a nuke or dirty bomb, and I35 isw gridlocked. You're going to try to walk home right when a radiological threat is blowing your way? And what event would have I35 become an immediate security risk? It's quite unlikely that in the minutes or even hours following even an EMP or something that law, order, and society will immediately break down before you can walk a few miles home. Even Katrina took a little time before everything went to hell, and this ain't New Orleans...

I am a strong believer that plans should be regarded as contingencies - not as just general, nebulous plans, but well-thought out responses to specific events. I think a plan is most valuable if it's based upon a plausible scenario. I encourage everyone here to consider such scenarios. I see FAR too many people making "plans" that are really not plans, but just a vague response to... something imagined. All of the BOBs that are clearly tailored to walking off into the woods are examples of this. My advice is to consider scenarios that you consider actually plausible and then work from there - come up with the scenarios first, then the plan, not the other way around. I'm only asking you to question your assumptions. That's not an unhealthy thing to do.

Otherwise you're going to end up with a plan that doesn't fit what actually happens. Which is pretty useless.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok, that's fine, but I ask again - plan for what? You believe that San Antonio is going to empty out and I35 will be gridlock (everyone is heading north presumably, but you're heading south). This same event that has everyone else driving north will have you... abandoning your vehicle to walk south? Huh?

My point is that I haven't heard a remotely plausible scenario that would fit your plan. I mean, if it's an EMP that disables vehicles, then won't I35 be fairly clear aside from a some wrecks or something? Say it's a nuke or dirty bomb, and I35 isw gridlocked. You're going to try to walk home right when a radiological threat is blowing your way? And what event would have I35 become an immediate security risk? It's quite unlikely that in the minutes or even hours following even an EMP or something that law, order, and society will immediately break down before you can walk a few miles home. Even Katrina took a little time before everything went to hell, and this ain't New Orleans...

I am a strong believer that plans should be regarded as contingencies - not as just general, nebulous plans, but well-thought out responses to specific events. I think a plan is most valuable if it's based upon a plausible scenario. I encourage everyone here to consider such scenarios. I see FAR too many people making "plans" that are really not plans, but just a vague response to... something imagined. All of the BOBs that are clearly tailored to walking off into the woods are examples of this. My advice is to consider scenarios that you consider actually plausible and then work from there - come up with the scenarios first, then the plan, not the other way around. I'm only asking you to question your assumptions. That's not an unhealthy thing to do.

Otherwise you're going to end up with a plan that doesn't fit what actually happens. Which is pretty useless.
View Quote

Careful....bringing logic into peoples SHTF masturbatory fantasies tends to make their heads explode.

On another forum people were concocting these elaborate how to get home schemes and what to pack for some imaginary (and not plausible at all) situation where suddenly no vehicles would run.  I simply said keep a bike at work and ride home in a few hours instead of figuring out what to pack to take 3 or 4 days to walk it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would I be wanting to go south when I live north of San Antonio? I live in the Cibolo Schertz area but closer to New Braunfels. I clearly stated my plan is in an absolute worse case scenario and I must get home on foot. The only way I'm walking is because I can't drive my truck out the front gate. If I can't drive off Ft Sam due to a 100% lockdown, I'm hopping a fence and going home by anyway possible. I have friends that live close to Ft. Sam that could give me a ride home if I needed one. Besides that, why would I want to leave the safety and security of Ft. Sam Houston if my family is safe? The only reason I'm leaving work is to go home to protect my family. One of the reasons I believe the railroad tracks are a good idea, is because most of the route is hidden from prying eyes, it is a more direct route, and it is closer to my house than I-35. Hwy 78 is a good route as well but, it passes through several townships that may or may not have the friendliest of people in good times, let alone bad. War gaming several scenarios is just one way to think outside the box and come up with solutions for situations that may or may not happen, no matter how far fetched they may seem.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
So you think you will be able to just jump the fence of a military base after it has been put in lock down?  

If so they must not know what they are doing and the place isn't safe to be on during an event anyways then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So you think you will be able to just jump the fence of a military base after it has been put in lock down?  

If so they must not know what they are doing and the place isn't safe to be on during an event anyways then.
View Quote

Not gonna state how in a public forum, besides security is geared towards keeping people out. And I've said it before I'm not leaving if my family is safe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to live in San Antonio when i first got married.  My family and I moved away years ago.  I drove a feed delivery truck all over the place in S.A. I dont care who you are the best plan is to get the hell out of the city as soon as possible, not get home to your house in the city.  Have a plan to meet your family elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why would I be wanting to go south when I live north of San Antonio? I live in the Cibolo Schertz area but closer to New Braunfels...
View Quote

Lol, reading fuckup on my part, I thought you worked in New Braunfels... Re-reading I see you're probably at BAMC or somewhere in that area and yeah, there are some shitty neighborhoods in that area. I still think your best bet would be a straight shot up I35, as I don't see a social breakdown happening in a matter of hours or minutes that would require you to E&E like that (the tracks run through some very questionable areas, too), but at least you've thought out the plan. My mistake, I thought you'd be heading south on foot... That explains why it didn't make sense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to live in San Antonio when i first got married.  My family and I moved away years ago.  I drove a feed delivery truck all over the place in S.A. I dont care who you are the best plan is to get the hell out of the city as soon as possible, not get home to your house in the city.  Have a plan to meet your family elsewhere.
View Quote

Doesn't that sorta depend upon what's happening? Not everything requires a bugout.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's a good point. However, the area around the place I work has some less than stellar neighborhoods in the area directly to the east of it. If I-35 is locked down backed up, I would have no choice but to go in that direction home. The facility I work at had the ability to lock down all vehicle traffic. If I need to leave, I will have to leave the truck and sneak out. My plan is to stay there if my family's safety is assured. If not, I am leaving. The safest route should actually be the railroad tracks. Alot of that route is hidden and there is no way in hell I'm walking up I-35 if there is a disaster. I planned for a worst case scenario, that way I have my bases covered. I can make that walk in a day no sweat, but I have the supplies should it take me longer than that.
View Quote

I'm a similar situation here in GA.  It's my "worse-case" scenario plan and covers everything else in-between.  On more than a few occasions, I've been pulled into our OPS for contingency operations (we manage the comms for all CONUS Army/Joint bases).  ARNORTH has about a dozen plans "crisis" plans that would involve my organization.  Everybody's situation is different regardless of the location and bug-home plans, my experience has been pulled into 24 hour ops and then "released" after the severe weather has hit.  Same situation with lock-down situations where I have a couple routes to bug-home on foot if my truck isn't an option (again, my worse-case).  I've done my share of threat assessments and contingency planning and there are several options, the easiest being a straight-shot home in the truck, using a few backroad options to using my mountain bike to hoofing it on foot by road, dirt backroads, power-line cuts and railroad.  At the end of the day, it's your assessment for your plans and situation.  Only you can determine the most likely and worse-case scenarios and hopefully rehearse or do a few dry runs.  

I'm quite familiar with the majority of Army/Joint installations and bugging home on foot from JBSA would make me consider a stout but concealable defensive package as well.  If you're in an occupation or job that makes it quite difficult to pop smoke before things go south, it makes planning a little more complicated.  Also, it seems like weather-related SHTF situations always occur during rush hour

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#32]
It better be significant to abandon vehicle in unrest. Drive the thing on flats, press on until you're out of a hot spot and call a wrecker.
Work on your network of friends. Have a list of folks who could pick you up in a short time.
Listen to the radio and check traffic cams during active times...don't head out until sure & if problems, plot the scenic route.

For flash mob stuff, just work on your decision making under stress and game out the scenarios in your head.

If you see something coming together, call 911 asap.

The basics of a bag get flogged regularly there's a stick in the gear section.

Train the brain first. Not every road block means you're gonna have an issue. If you're the first one and decide to push through, that's another story. There are a couple threads on that with diff advice. You have to make your own decision on what level of action you're comfortable with. Hanging a party size pepper spray can out and hosing or sitting quietly.

In fantasy roadblock...the tier 1 turds will break your windows, punch & grab, the lower level ones will reach in and steal anything laying there, so leaving gear in a nice bag or a gun tucked in a seat crack is bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Geeze.  

I haven't kept up on news lately.
Juse the main headline stuff for a but in the mornings.

Personally,  I'm so fed up with all the bullshit protest from freeloadng good for nothing liberals.

Ok, feel better now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am only abandoning my vehicle if it won't run and I really need to leave the area anyway.

Hat
Jacket
Map and compass
Good shoes, w/extra socks
Water
Food
Cell Phone, w/charging cable and extra battery
Flashlight, w/extra batteries
AM/FM Radio, w/extra batteries of the same size as the flashlight's
Cash enough for a motel and food and a full gas tank for several days, plus credit cards
Toiletries, and maybe some spare basic clothes

Everything in drab earth-toned colors, nothing that stands out

Have a plan, pick out several routes now while you can easily recon such.
View Quote

This is great advice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#35]
My GHB is very minimalistic.  I keep enough extra gear in my Jeep to tailor my kit depending on situation.  Plenty of extra food kept at work so I could grab a few things if I every needed to head out on foot.  I have about a 35 mile walk so my Jeep would have to be non operational for me to even consider hoofing it.  If I have to walk its going to be a 2~3 day trip so its not a decision I would make unless it was going to be a long term SHTF/ WROL scenario.  Normal times?  I will stay at work or rent a car if something happens to my Jeep.  I know about 75% of the roads in my AO so I would find a path around any localized event...  Hopefully...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My GHB is very minimalistic.  I keep enough extra gear in my Jeep to tailor my kit depending on situation.  Plenty of extra food kept at work so I could grab a few things if I every needed to head out on foot.  I have about a 35 mile walk so my Jeep would have to be non operational for me to even consider hoofing it.  If I have to walk its going to be a 2~3 day trip so its not a decision I would make unless it was going to be a long term SHTF/ WROL scenario.  Normal times?  I will stay at work or rent a car if something happens to my Jeep.  I know about 75% of the roads in my AO so I would find a path around any localized event...  Hopefully...
View Quote

This is probably the best advice and plan for most situations.  I just stumbled on a road I kind of knew about but never checked out.  It's a dirt road that runs a ridgeline and parallels the power line cut.  My son has done four-wheeling up there and it's pretty "remote" in the sense that it doesn't get traveled a lot and has really nobody living off of it.  Plenty of springs for water and dense wooded growth for most of the way.  It's goes about 3/4 the way from work to home and is a another viable option if I too have to divert around an impassable localized event.  I like it more for foot travel as it comes out closer to my home with a much less populated route.  Considering worse case scenarios of having to get home on foot, my threat priorities are weather, people and then obstacles.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't underestimate a bicycle cached at work. Even a cheap, crappy bike vastly increases the number of miles you can cover in a day, and you might be able to use it to go get a sandwich for lunch on normal days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't underestimate a bicycle cached at work. Even a cheap, crappy bike vastly increases the number of miles you can cover in a day, and you might be able to use it to go get a sandwich for lunch on normal days.
View Quote

I'll be changing jobs later this year, so my situation will likely change, but having a bike was part of my plan as well.  Other than worse case of humping it through the woods or along the rail road, my mountain bike is the most efficient non-motorized means to get me home.  I don't have a road bike, but we have several distance (triathlon) bicyclers who bring their bikes to work and keep them on their vehicle or in their office...

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top