Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2017 10:02:22 PM EDT
Anybody have a recommendation for a better tasting, longer lasting alternative?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a cost analysis of this 2 weeks ago. Clif bars have similar ingredients and shelf life as all the rest, but has one of the lower costs per ounce. 
I ate a 5 yr expired one last week at the gun club. I'm fine. I keep them in my ghb 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Protein bars always end up super chewy with that weird aftertaste.  I've landed on "Bonk Breaker" bars in the PBJ variety.  The "J" is just strong enough to override the weird protein bar taste.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Millennium Bars

They have a long shelf life (5+ years) and more importantly are highly temperature resistant, so they can stay in a hot vehicle or building lacking AC for extended periods without spoiling. They taste decent, too. Perfect BOB / GHB foods, toss them in there and forget until needed or time to rotate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Millennium Bars

They have a long shelf life (5+ years) and more importantly are highly temperature resistant, so they can stay in a hot vehicle or building lacking AC for extended periods without spoiling. They taste decent, too. Perfect BOB / GHB foods, toss them in there and forget until needed or time to rotate.
View Quote

This! I actually prefer the taste of them over most Clif bars too.

For everyday energy bars I prefer anything from Probar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This! I actually prefer the taste of them over most Clif bars too.

For everyday energy bars I prefer anything from Probar.
View Quote

They are pure sugar and fat. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but protein is needed as well. I just ordered some of these but they will be part of a mixture of various bars in my bag.

NUTRITION FACTS Serving Size 1 Bar (84g) Servings per Container - 1 Amount per serving Calories 400 Calories from Fat 160 % Daily Value* Total Fat 18g 28% Saturated Fat 6g 32% Trans. Fat 3.5g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 15mg 1% Total Carbohydrates 52 g 17% Dietary Fiber less than 1g 2% Sugars 33g Protein 8g *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 15% Thiamin 10% Riboflavin 20% Calcium 4% Iron 6% Niacin 15%
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You definitely wouldn't want to live on them long-term, but they're perfect for emergency situations, or survival rations to be left (especially in hot areas) until needed. They're basically lifeboat-type rations that don't taste horrible.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Without the shelf life, try and make your own. Oatmeal, nuts, honey and brown sugar is the brunt of the recipe I use. It takes a few tries to get your oven temp/recipe tweak figured out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I want to try Hill People Gear's recipe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Not as nutrient rich as a protein bar... but i recently purchased some "lifeboat rations" SOS 3600 calorie packs and opened one to try it. It was actually pretty good and did not leave me thirsty either. Granted they are mostly just sugar but if you just want something to get you through they would probably do the job for a couple of days. If those things weren't so terrible for you they go great with coffee and I could eat them regularly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently flew to Iraq with some of the sos rations in my carry on.

They freaked the tsa screener out when they looked suspicious on X-ray and she opened up my bag.  She thought they were plastic explosive.  I thought I was going to have to open them up to prove what they were, but one of the other screeners knew what they were.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I look at bars like this as simply short term energy.

They are good for this and I keep them in my ruck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I have come to carrying a small jar of peanut butter along with them to smear on top- adds calories and improves taste.

I might need to try some Nutella as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Snickers.

I still have a pile of cliff bars but really don't care for the taste.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The old PowerBar brand ones that were kinda hard seemed pretty good for long term storage. Not filled with chocolate that could melt.

I used to take the malt ones on fishing trips and they'd get me through the day. Unfortunately, I can't find that flavor anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The old PowerBar brand ones that were kinda hard seemed pretty good for long term storage. Not filled with chocolate that could melt.

I used to take the malt ones on fishing trips and they'd get me through the day. Unfortunately, I can't find that flavor anymore.
View Quote

Are you talking about the "Malt Nut" flavor?

eta: They stopped making malt nut flavor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Payday bars are great. Peanuts, peanutbutter, salt and sugar is great hiking fuel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Payday bars are great. Peanuts, peanutbutter, salt and sugar is great hiking fuel.
View Quote

That's a good one.  They probably wouldn't melt as easy as say a snickers or milky way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a good one.  They probably wouldn't melt as easy as say a snickers or milky way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both great.  Sugar and fats are what gives you a burst of short term energy that may last several hours.  In an emergency its just perfect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
The shelf-life for most of these protein/energy bars is pretty much the same.  The key is to rotate them out.  We always do a long backpacking trip or two and this is where we consume the majority.  Taste is important, but after few days, just about everything gets consumed and taste takes a back seat to the need for calories.  

Variety is always good, but if you just want something to stash in the vehicle, the Millennium bars or my preferred Datrex ration bars are a better, long-term choice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My 12 pack of Millenium bars came in today. I just tried the apricot flavor. The bars are not bad. I do not taste any apricot but these are good, even though they are a touch gritty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Off topic but I was surprised to see that company publicly tackling the issue of gun control on their site

https://hillpeoplegear.com/FreeResources/GunControl/tabid/929/Default.aspx
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]
My recommendation: "Soldier Fuel" bars (formerly "Hooah Bars"). Available at Amazon. The chocolate ones taste great and provide energy for hours. Shelf life measured in years.

https://www.amazon.com/Soldier-Fuel-Energy-Chocolate-Ounce/dp/B00ADJCCZY?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Cliff bars use soy based protein.

I'd avoid soy based protein. Whey protein (animal) based is best.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've made them....they are good, but dense.  Cut them into small portions!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:19:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just showed that recipe to my wife, she is going to buy a special pan/ sheet for them and use our vacuum sealer.  Looks like I will have homemade ones for this up coming hiking & hunting season!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top