Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 10:25:20 AM EDT
I have a heavy, thick brunton 5 watt solar panel in my GHB. I would like to upgrade to something in the 12 to 15 watt range. It has to fold so it fits flat in my pack. I also need a USB port.

I am looking at the folding powerfilm, but I would like to go less expensive if there are quality alternatives. Light weight is important.

ETA: I also carry a 12,000 Mah battery.

The USB must be able to charge faster than 1 amp.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This one promises 2.1 amps from the USB port at full sun. 12.5 oz

ANKER 15 watt folding panel
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Powerfilm. You get what you pay for, and we know that Powerfilms work well. Go cheaper and you'll end up with some cheapo Chinese knockoff. This looks to be close to what you're looking for, though I'm not sure about the >1A charging:

PowerFilm F12
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one promises 2.1 amps from the USB port at full sun. 12.5 oz

ANKER 15 watt folding panel
View Quote

Unless you're into ultra-light backpacking through the mountains, that would be sufficient.  I was reading up on the Anker PowerPort 21w solar charger and it seemed that the 15w jobbie got better marks.  Something about no restart function at the higher output.

You're charging along at 2A and a rain cloud passes for a minute.  Your charging rate drops down to 500mA, as one would expect.  After the cloud passes, the sun is back out in full force and you're off doing other things.  You come back expecting to see 2A again (on your USB volt/ammeter) and the panel is only outputting that low 500mA.

What you need to do is unplug your device and plug it back in, to reset the output current.  Auto restart is how some of them label it, but it's not just that, you need the panel's controller to restart at full output, not the last, reduced rate.

Just something to keep in mind when doing your research.

BlitzWolf is another in that 20w class.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go with the Powerfilm. You get what you pay for, and we know that Powerfilms work well. Go cheaper and you'll end up with some cheapo Chinese knockoff. This looks to be close to what you're looking for, though I'm not sure about the >1A charging:

PowerFilm F12
View Quote

They only have 1 amp charging. I was going that direction.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless you're into ultra-light backpacking through the mountains, that would be sufficient.  I was reading up on the Anker PowerPort 21w solar charger and it seemed that the 15w jobbie got better marks.  Something about no restart function at the higher output.

You're charging along at 2A and a rain cloud passes for a minute.  Your charging rate drops down to 500mA, as one would expect.  After the cloud passes, the sun is back out in full force and you're off doing other things.  You come back expecting to see 2A again (on your USB volt/ammeter) and the panel is only outputting that low 500mA.

What you need to do is unplug your device and plug it back in, to reset the output current.  Auto restart is how some of them label it, but it's not just that, you need the panel's controller to restart at full output, not the last, reduced rate.

Chris
View Quote

So, does this 15 watt panel restart at the higher watts?  If it does its an obvious choice. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, does this 15 watt panel restart at the higher watts?  If it does its an obvious choice. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Bat, I believe it does, but I was only casually reading at the time.  You should investigate that part, as it can be important.  I need to bring my SunKingdom 14w jobbie to my GF's place, where her balcony gets good sun and fiddle with that, as when I got it, I just assumed that it would revert back to full charge after a cloud passed by.

The easy solution is to just unplug it and start charging the device again, although that's not ideal if you're away doing other things.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Look into the www.suntactics.com panels. The larger solar panels have 2 usb ports one Manual and one Automatics, which resets if the current drops due to cloud coverage or what-not.... It will automatically reset itself and continue charging. Apple devices are notorious for disconnecting if full current isn't provided.

I just received the s14 and so far I'm pretty happy. The quality is awesome and the reviews on youtube seem to be of the older versions. The one I got has a very wide and thick band connecting the 2 panels at the hinge and it looks very durable. Awesome quality and the output is impressive. They have a video on their website comparing it to the Anker and it's worth a look.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bat, I believe it does, but I was only casually reading at the time.  You should investigate that part, as it can be important.  I need to bring my SunKingdom 14w jobbie to my GF's place, where her balcony gets good sun and fiddle with that, as when I got it, I just assumed that it would revert back to full charge after a cloud passed by.

The easy solution is to just unplug it and start charging the device again, although that's not ideal if you're away doing other things.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Chris

Neither of them will bump back up to full power after dropping down. I'll have to remember this and unplug a device to reset after a cloudy spell.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They only have 1 amp charging. I was going that direction.
View Quote

I may be mistaken but the way I read it is that the little usb 12v adaptor has a 1a limit, not the panel.  Can you just upgrade to a better adaptor and get what you need?

I'm not recommending this one, just using it as an example.
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charger-Adapter-Cigarette-Charging/dp/B01CL3JJT6/ref=pd_sim_107_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C7N2XSF3GGN4PTD7RG48
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The Anker one is good, the other one I like is the ALLPOWERs series.. Here is the the 15W version.

The Ankers are 5V only output (USB) but the Allpowers have the option to tap the panel directly which is useful if you
want to power a DC-DC converter (18V in, 12V out) or directly charge 12V batteries.

I've found the little panels (10W and under) are virtually useless if you actually want to charge something. With the
size you've mentioned you can realistically charge a phone or whatever during a short break, and then pack and
go, so good choice on the wattage on your part.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Anker one is good, the other one I like is the ALLPOWERs series.. Here is the the 15W version.

The Ankers are 5V only output (USB) but the Allpowers have the option to tap the panel directly which is useful if you
want to power a DC-DC converter (18V in, 12V out) or directly charge 12V batteries.

I've found the little panels (10W and under) are virtually useless if you actually want to charge something. With the
size you've mentioned you can realistically charge a phone or whatever during a short break, and then pack and
View Quote

I think my 5 watt panel is only really useable if it's pretty much stationary in full sun. That is utterly incompatible with the idea of bugging home. The higher watts panels can charge during short breaks and in the heat of the mid day when travel might not be a good idea.

I can use my 5 watt panel to change small batteries for charging stuff later in the day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Neither of them will bump back up to full power after dropping down. I'll have to remember this and unplug a device to reset after a cloudy spell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Chris

OK.  Wasn't sure and it was six months, or so, back.

I guess we have to ask ourselves what's the typical use for these panels?  If it's the end of the world, no more power companies, then maybe there are better options out there?  If you're going out to the lake and you have no spare batteries, then these smaller, inexpensive USB panels can be fine.  Furthermore, if you're at the lake and clouds are constantly rolling through, then a charged up power bank might be the better play.

I got my SKD 14w back in 2015, just as they started becoming ubiquitous and I needed to keep my costs down, so at $40 shipped, it's what I went with.  There are no doubt better USB folders out there, but money does come into play for some of us.

Just a caveat on any folding panel.  Even the Big Boys: Brunton, Goal Zero, PowerFilm and Global Solar only offer either a 2 year, or at best...3 year warranty.  This is because the thin wires running between panel segments and within the 'folds' are fragile and will eventually break, rendering the folding panel either completely useless, or partially useful, so don't sit there on the couch opening and closing whatever folder you buy, while watching reruns of Honey Boo Boo.  

Just the nature of the beast.

I have my portable 12vdc 60w system and 12vdc chargers and I felt that going USB 5vdc would be practical for my limited needs.  Wouldn't you know it?  No hurricanes hitting Miami for 12 years!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I used my hotel points to get a gift card that covered all but $14 of the $64 with tax for the 21W panel. 4.4 stars with over 600 reviews is pretty good.

I don't need anything fancier. All my stuff is usb charged.  It will keep me in light and electronics for months if needed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OK.  Wasn't sure and it was six months, or so, back.

I guess we have to ask ourselves what's the typical use for these panels?  If it's the end of the world, no more power companies, then maybe there are better options out there?  If you're going out to the lake and you have no spare batteries, then these smaller, inexpensive USB panels can be fine.  Furthermore, if you're at the lake and clouds are constantly rolling through, then a charged up power bank might be the better play.

I got my SKD 14w back in 2015, just as they started becoming ubiquitous and I needed to keep my costs down, so at $40 shipped, it's what I went with.  There are no doubt better USB folders out there, but money does come into play for some of us.

Just a caveat on any folding panel.  Even the Big Boys: Brunton, Goal Zero, PowerFilm and Global Solar only offer either a 2 year, or at best...3 year warranty.  This is because the thin wires running between panel segments and within the 'folds' are fragile and will eventually break, rendering the folding panel either completely useless, or partially useful, so don't sit there on the couch opening and closing whatever folder you buy, while watching reruns of Honey Boo Boo.  

Just the nature of the beast.

I have my portable 12vdc 60w system and 12vdc chargers and I felt that going USB 5vdc would be practical for my limited needs.  Wouldn't you know it?  No hurricanes hitting Miami for 12 years!

Chris
View Quote

This panel will ride in my back pack as I travel.  I'll be sure to protect it the best I can.

I have two sets of harbor freight panels I bought years ago and wired up together to charge a deep cycle battery. I really don't know how affective they really are. I've only charged a few things with them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used my hotel points to get a gift card that covered all but $14 of the $64 with tax for the 21W panel. 4.4 stars with over 600 reviews is pretty good.

I don't need anything fancier. All my stuff is usb charged.  It will keep me in light and electronics for months if needed.
View Quote

Cool.  Keep us all posted, as you're another data point.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I love mt 21watt anker powerline.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look into the www.suntactics.com panels. The larger solar panels have 2 usb ports one Manual and one Automatics, which resets if the current drops due to cloud coverage or what-not.... It will automatically reset itself and continue charging. Apple devices are notorious for disconnecting if full current isn't provided.

I just received the s14 and so far I'm pretty happy. The quality is awesome and the reviews on youtube seem to be of the older versions. The one I got has a very wide and thick band connecting the 2 panels at the hinge and it looks very durable. Awesome quality and the output is impressive. They have a video on their website comparing it to the Anker and it's worth a look.

Just my .02
View Quote

Suntactics S-Charger 14

Suntactics are by far the best portable solar charges I've used.  Their "auto-retry" is designed specifically for interruptions in charging and it really works well, especially if you have a camp and leave it unattended for a while.  These don't look cool, but they are extremely robust and the folding design really protects the solar cells and their solar efficiency is at the high end for portable solar panels.  With a quality USB cord and solid sun exposure I've seen close to the maximum of 2800mAh charging capacity...that's pretty darn good even if for a couple hours and will provide solid charging capacity.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Mercury27-Portable-Foldable-Battery/dp/B00EVFEBKU

Site wouldn't let me post links oniPhone

Instapark 27 watt folding panel?  Santa brought me one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Mercury27-Portable-Foldable-Battery/dp/B00EVFEBKU

View Quote

These are good! I have two along with various accessorizes and small battery chargers to go with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

These are good! I have two along with various accessorizes and small battery chargers to go with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one looks great but it's huge and heavy. The one I bought is only 14 oz. It puts out enough juice to fast charge a phone or battery pack. It should run my USB AA charger and charge my lights. It will do it at a weight that's reasonable for living in my pack that I carry every day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a powerfilm 20 watt. I keep some tent stakes with it for windy days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a powerfilm 20 watt. I keep some tent stakes with it for windy days.
View Quote

Does it have usb and what is the max charge rate at 5v.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a 12vdc panel that has a panel open voltage of 15.4w at 1.2A which closer to 18.5w.  You're at that level where using a 12vdc digital controller is almost necessary.  Underload, you might get it down closer to 12vdc, but some electronics might balk at that ~15v.

It has a female 12vdc accessory adapter, which will allow you to use one of those USB car adapters in it.  I would think that you'd get your 2.1A/2.4A out of that, at the 5v USB spec.

F16-1200 is probably the folding model.

PowerFilm F16-1200 folding 12vdc panel.

They're about $280-$300 on Ebay.  Good panel, but spendy.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I spent $12 for an inline meter to detect the voltage and amps of the panel as I use it. That will tell me how the panels are doing. I can use it on my 5 watt panels as well to see how effective they can be.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a 12vdc panel that has a panel open voltage of 15.4w at 1.2A which closer to 18.5w.  You're at that level where using a 12vdc digital controller is almost necessary.  Underload, you might get it down closer to 12vdc, but some electronics might balk at that ~15v.

It has a female 12vdc accessory adapter, which will allow you to use one of those USB car adapters in it.  I would think that you'd get your 2.1A/2.4A out of that, at the 5v USB spec.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

On youtube they seem to be confused with the difference between what something draws and how much the panel can provide.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

On youtube they seem to be confused with the difference between what something draws and how much the panel can provide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

You're a flashlight and li-ion user, so you understand that inflated numbers are pretty much the norm and when we actually find a cell, or flashlight, that hits its claimed number, or is even in the same solar system as the claim, we rejoice.

Panels are like that.  The good ones are rated in laboratory conditions, with wide spectrum lighting as a rule, to closely mimic noon sunlight and not at the poles, but at the equator, to derive better numbers.

For most of us slobs, we won't get close.

Solar panels are much like fish tanks, buy the biggest one that you can afford.

Finally, electrons aren't pushed by a source and technically, they aren't pulled by a load, but much like water, they flow in a pathway of least resistance.  One always wants the power source to be rated higher than any load it will see, so as not to be taxed, overheat and possibly catch fire.

Power, in watts, equals current times voltage!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a couple PowerFilm 30w folding units. (they're ACU digital)
F16-1800 is the model number I believe.
I also have a daisy chain that will link them together.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've got a couple PowerFilm 30w folding units. (they're ACU digital)
F16-1800 is the model number I believe.
I also have a daisy chain that will link them together.
View Quote

Can I borrow a dollar?

Those are nice, probably the best way to go if you're into 12v stuff and have the scratch.

I looked hard at the F16-1800 4+ years back while putting my system together and just found that my two 30w rigid panels stretched my dollars farther and went that route.

Should I win the PowerBall, I'd get their 60w jobbie and be done with it, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My phone made it up to 1.5 amps in full sun with the battery at 50%. I didn't have time to compare that with a standard charger yet. 5.05 to 5.09 v
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My phone made it up to 1.5 amps in full sun with the battery at 50%. I didn't have time to compare that with a standard charger yet. 5.5 to 5.9 v
View Quote

That's not too bad, depending on where the CC/CV plot is along the charging cycle. Had you been at the lower end of the SOC 'state of charge' scale, you might have seen a higher current number.

I have an Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 li-ion/NiMH analyzing charger and I'm always looking at the numbers and I can watch the charge current for all four independent channels and watch the charge start out at the desired charge rate.  At a certain point, the charge current begins to taper off until it gets down to something like a 30mA rate, at which time the charge terminates.  This necessarily coincides with a rise in voltage, as the batteries/cells approach their designed capacities.

As we're fond of saying...it all depends.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's not too bad, depending on where the CC/CV plot is along the charging cycle. Had you been at the lower end of the SOC 'state of charge' scale, you might have seen a higher current number.

I have an Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 li-ion/NiMH analyzing charger and I'm always looking at the numbers and I can watch the charge current for all four independent channels and watch the charge start out at the desired charge rate.  At a certain point, the charge current begins to taper off until it gets down to something like a 30mA rate, at which time the charge terminates.  This necessarily coincides with a rise in voltage, as the batteries/cells approach their designed capacities.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My phone made it up to 1.5 amps in full sun with the battery at 50%. I didn't have time to compare that with a standard charger yet. 5.5 to 5.9 v

Chris

I had to edit my voltage numbers.

The panel was 5.05 to 5.09v and 1.5 amps jumping to 1.7 amps.

The wall charger is running 5.43v and 1.5 to 1.7 amps and then it dropped to 1.1 amps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had to edit my voltage numbers.

The panel was 5.05 to 5.09v and 1.5 amps jumping to 1.7 amps.

The wall charger is running 5.43v and 1.5 to 1.7 amps and then it dropped to 1.1 amps.
View Quote

That's typical of the panels and even the wall wart.  As the current demand increases, the voltage of the panel will drop and as the current decreases at the end of charge, the voltage will rebound.

My 12w Apple OEM brick puts out about 5.25v without a load, but that will drop once a load is applied, so that's normal to see a drop.  And we can't expect a 5vdc solar panel to put out the same voltage that a 120v AC>DC wall wart is capable of.

Plus, the Chinese are always fudging their numbers.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went with Allpowers 80W. Very nice, a bit heavy. $180 was good bang, er watts, for the buck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top