Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/25/2016 8:47:06 PM EDT
So, with the Black Friday deals, I pulled the trigger and bought some Level IV body armor.  Still need to get a plate carrier.  This is one thing I had not put much thought into and am guessing is getting towards the end of what I consider prepping items that I need.  

I think I got it mainly for travel that I do for work and if stuff every gets really crazy.  

Is this something any of you all have added to your preps?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.. however, I strongly suggest that you put them on and exercise/hike with them on, as the weight can take a lot of getting used to
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Its down on my list but on it.
What did you get?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its down on my list but on it.
What did you get?
View Quote

I got this from HighCom.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Black Friday has cost me dearly this year.  

$411 for plates and carrier
$510 for Aimpoint/10 PMAGs/Magpul Rear Sight/PSA Prem BCG/parts
$455 for a Specwar 556k silencer

$1,376
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep.
Purchased ceramics from High com a few months ago, happy with em.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, with the Black Friday deals, I pulled the trigger and bought some Level IV body armor.  Still need to get a plate carrier.  This is one thing I had not put much thought into and am guessing is getting towards the end of what I consider prepping items that I need.  

I think I got it mainly for travel that I do for work and if stuff every gets really crazy.  

View Quote

I won't say that having body armor is a high priority for me, money is better spent on other preps.

If things are so bad in your world that you can't go about your daily business without risk of being shot, you won't be able to get medical care for the shot you just took to the leg and were lucky to have missed your femoral artery.

I'd rather die in a few minutes rather than over the course of days as gangrene and infection set in,
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, back in the day spent a lot of time and a lot of money to get BA. When the chances of getting shot increase its FAR more important to have BA than to have half a dozen guns around.
Even if you never get to see more serious SHTF, you should be using your BA.
If you dont have a true NEED for BA then youre not preparing wisely. If you do the kind of more advanced tactical traning you sohudl aspire to, such as dinamic entrey, shooting in teams, them body armor is a must.
Even for less advnaced classes and shooting sesions, competitions its still good common sense to wear it.
For folks dealing with looking and doing their own security after severe storms, also a good idea. I mean even for home security, if you do have the time, then it makes a ton of sense to put on body armor.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Dave...can't disagree more.

If you wear it for your job, it becomes more relevant. If you have nothing to do with it, it will fall lower on the list. That being said, depending on the type, it could save your bacon if you get into a car crash, get attacked with a blunt weapon or sharp one, let alone get shot by a $50 .25acp.

I may be able to get a cat around an extremity if shot, but will certainly die if one hits the boiler room.
If you have a significant other or kids, you might change your opinion and get them some.

The goal is to live longer than the other guy, this will help.

The question is not whether to get it, but how much of it? Soft vest, plate carrier, combined?  

My advice, make friends with someone who can give you an old soft vest for starters. You can build from there.

You address the most frequent threats in your area first...crooks with second rate handguns (my area).  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes I have both soft and hard armor.  I feel that it's a good item to add to the preparedness check list.  I agree with posters above that one should train with their gear on from time to time. But we should all know that by now  .
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#14]
No I don't have any.  I have a plate carrier but just can't seem to justify actually buying the plates over something that I will actually use.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
No, but working out definitely is part of my preparations...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Nope.
Not seeing the need.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember the kid's toys weebles?
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.
Body armor turns you into a kind of reverse weeble.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I will venture to guess that most here have people they want to protect.

Armor used by an individual isn't so much a lifesaving measure for the wearer, as it is something to keep you in a fight longer so you can do what you need to get done.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems odd that people see no need for it.  Sure, it's not something you'd wear every day.  But if you're thinking about SHTF, its better to have armor than a third rifle.  Other people have guns, and they might shoot at you?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#21]
One round of .22LR can end things.

If you're in an environment where that's even possible, you put on a soft vest. For the free-100 bucks for an outdated used one, it's cheap insurance....seriously, new off brand concealable isn't costly compared to the other crap you collect.

Survival fantasy fail: Collect a stack of guns/ammo just in case...in case what? Expect no one to fire at you. lol...but I gotta get field phones, more Chinese walkies, diesel bov!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd say body armor is a better use of funds than your 5th AR15. And I'd say concealable soft armor is a more practical option than rifle plates, given what is most likely to occur. Not saying that you should not procure plates, just that in order of priority I would put a good concealable soft vest first.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes I have body armor, just took advantage of the SKD Group buy.

I find it interesting that virtually everyone on this site is preparing for some sort of future gun fight. But in many of these fantasies, no one is shooting back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Level 3 plates in carrier. Yep, part of preps, but....

I'd rather have a fuller protecting level 3a vest than rifle plates.

Also, don't really want level 4 plates with the weight. Will be buying more armor soon, and don't want the size and weight and price to protect from .30 cal AP.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If things are so bad in your world that you can't go about your daily business without risk of being shot, you won't be able to get medical care for the shot you just took to the leg and were lucky to have missed your femoral artery.

I'd rather die in a few minutes rather than over the course of days as gangrene and infection set in,
View Quote

your missing the point

I guess you dont wear a seat belt either because its better to go through the windshield and get it over vs having a broken back
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#26]
It is part of my preps, but it was low priority. I have 3 sets of plates for the grown ups in my house.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes I have body armor, just took advantage of the SKD Group buy.

I find it interesting that virtually everyone on this site is preparing for some sort of future gun fight. But in many of these fantasies, no one is shooting back.
View Quote

Yep.  I expect to make good center of mass hits, why wouldn't I expect them to make some good center of mass hits?

I keep body armor one each side of the bed, one plate carrier for me, one for my wife.  If there is any time at all, I'll be putting armor on before facing a home invader.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Level 3 plates in carrier. Yep, part of preps, but....

I'd rather have a fuller protecting level 3a vest than rifle plates.

Also, don't really want level 4 plates with the weight. Will be buying more armor soon, and don't want the size and weight and price to protect from .30 cal AP.
View Quote

There are some really good ceramic level III+ plates that will stop M855A1 and are fairly light weight.  I've also seen some 4lb level IV's.  I expect M855A1 to become more common over the next ten years so I'm no longer planning on buying any armor that won't stop it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#29]
It's pointless to give a firm YES or NO. Overall it's a pretty low priority compared to everything else non-firearm related.

The best justification in my mind is to have at least one set for the driver of a vehicle to wear if you need to drive during unsure times. If I needed to walk anywhere or get choosy about what to save, it would definitely be getting left behind.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I have IIIA soft armor and two steel plates.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

your missing the point

I guess you dont wear a seat belt either because its better to go through the windshield and get it over vs having a broken back
View Quote

Not going to lie, his 'reason' behind it seems more like an excuse than a reason. Probably doesn't feel he can (or should) afford armor.

I'm also not sure he understands what ballistic armor does.... lol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh yeah.

DKX at 2.9 lbs. per 10x12 plates. Beats the hades out of steel.
View Quote

I just checked out their website, and I couldn't find any weights listed. Which ones do you have?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are some really good ceramic level III+ plates that will stop M855A1 and are fairly light weight.  I've also seen some 4lb level IV's.  I expect M855A1 to become more common over the next ten years so I'm no longer planning on buying any armor that won't stop it.
View Quote

Where are you seeing these 4lb level IV plates?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I still have my 3a vest from when I worked security as a younger man. I did want some ar500 plates for a carrier for shtf type thing and they don't expire. I went with BAM build up coated plates. Excellent value and seems like a quality product. I was worried about weight and it isn't as bad as I was expecting. I plan to keep the carrier pretty basic/slick. Im considering one rifle/pistol combo taco and a lmf knife. Oz add up to pounds right and if I start stacking multiple mags and other shit I really think its just gonna be a anchor.

Anyone considering BAM,  buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm having trouble finding them today. I thought I saw some a week or so ago in the mid 4lb range a week or two ago.

I know these Hesco's are high 4lb to 5lb depending on Medium SAPI or 10x12 shooters cut.
http://www.officersurvival.org/products/hesco-bi-4800-level-iv-stand-alone-armor-plates
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I will venture to guess that most here have people they want to protect.

Armor used by an individual isn't so much a lifesaving measure for the wearer, as it is something to keep you in a fight longer so you can do what you need to get done.
View Quote

This x100.   They have to get thru me to get to the family.  I might live if i keep my chest free of holes but i will be advantaged over an adversary.  If i dont make it days in well thats the breaks but im not going to plan to be the guy who gets one to the chest or back in the opening salvo.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I have several older soft vests.  I keep one in the cargo area of my Jeep for the unknown.  Its an old expired vest but I figure if it gets bad it won't hurt.  I have never felt the need to look at plates, other then for fun, the chances of me actually using them would be pretty slim.  I will stick with my soft vests and situational awareness.  I am not really the "running & gunning operator" kind of guy.  Think 1911 and a single shot shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I've shot the panels with plastic covering from the 80's. Stops everything.
I wear a vest 5 days a week, so perspective is different.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#40]
The HESCO plates are very expensive.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#41]
yes
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Even though everyone loves to hate on the interceptor it's what I prefer.

I wore it as an 0311. Now I keep one next to my bed and a spare to run in. Quick on and off. Good soft armor where plates don't cover. When im feeling spunky I'll run with plates or just the 10ish pound vest when I'm feeling lazy.

Large SAPIs weigh less then stand alone level 4s too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just found the 4.4lb level IV plates I saw the first time.  $399/plate, 10x12 size.  RMA 1199 http://www.rmadefense.com/shop.asp
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes.

Otherwise when stored day to day, I keep the PC (10x12" curved 3+ steels) lightly loaded and ready in the corner next to the night stand. Leaning against it is an 11.5" AR setup for HD.

Related..

Also keep a war belt maintained in the same corner w G17.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]
When you can get 2 level IV highcom plates and LBT 6094B for under $300 delivered is there any reason not to own body armor?

(even if the carrier is UCP )
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes.

Because most people need training and exercise more than plates.  The money would be better spent on training and replacing running shoes every 3 months.
View Quote

Agreed,
But this is ARFCOM get both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#48]
With Level 3A Used, Good Condition Premium Aramid Second Chance Monarch Summit Vests only $250 at bullet proof me that seems like a good compromise in weight and price for most scenarios.
Not the best choice if going into combat but good for grey man scrounging and bugging out.
I am thinking of this with some cheap steel plates to toss over it if things escalate as a good option.
Anything too heavy and I probably won't have it on when I need it.
And if live somewhere where you need level 4 and a helmet to survive if SHTF I would suggest moving now to avoid that scenario.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
With Level 3A Used, Good Condition Premium Aramid Second Chance Monarch Summit Vests only $250 at bullet proof me that seems like a good compromise in weight and price for most scenarios.
Not the best choice if going into combat but good for grey man scrounging and bugging out.
I am thinking of this with some cheap steel plates to toss over it if things escalate as a good option.
And if live somewhere where you need level 4 and a helmet to survive if SHTF I would suggest moving now to avoid that scenario.
View Quote

There is just no good reason to use steel level III plates.  They have well known deficiencies against fairly common ammunition and they're heavier than similarly priced level IV plates.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1944923_-99-level-4-plates.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is just no good reason to use steel level III plates.  They have well known deficiencies against fairly common ammunition and they're heavier than similarly priced level IV plates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top