Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 8:52:02 PM EDT
For those interested SKD is running another group buy on the Mountain Hardwear Made-in-USA 4 Season Navy Seal Hunker tent.

Here is the link to the current Group Buy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Besides being "military" it seems to be very light on features for $400. The vestibule is essentially useless, ventilation appears to be poor, it isn't made of light blocking material like other "military" tents, and the lack of a separate rain fly is strange.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What would be a good alternative?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What's your need?  How much server weather camping do you do?  A few observations.  First, Mountain Hardware does make good gear, so it's nice to see them collaborating and making this for the military, even if on a small scale.  Second, I haven't found out what the material is, but it's obviously designed as a single wall tent.  These are best used with good ventilation as they will generate condensation...very cold, dry climates are their target environment.  I'm disappointed the smaller "observation" opening doesn't have mesh...it would create excellent air flow with the larger opening...of course, that's a typical 3-season necessity when you're fighting both condensation and the flying insect invasion.  The weight sucks, but that's typical of the construction designed for Neanderthal use and of course, true 4-season, severe weather use.  Still, that's pretty heavy for a single-wall tent.  The awning, is a addition.  As a converted hammock camper, I've spent many field exercises in tents and there's nothing worse than crawling out of your tent (or into your tent) with mud and shit right outside your door.  Even an improvised door mat doesn't work all that well and on more than one occasion I've rigged up a poncho to cover the entrance.  

For the group buy price, it's competitive with many similar, mid-level four-season tents.  The MSRP is more in line with the high-end cuben-fiber tents...those can be quite spendy and require more care; of course their advantage is they weight half of what this tent weighs.

I like the design, but just can't warm up to the weight.  Yes, it's a four-season tent and yes, it has some nice features for a drab-color tent, but that's a lot of weight for 1-person shelter.  Most of the expensive 4-season tents are about that same weight but designed for two people.  It is what it is and a 4.5 pound one-man tent isn't outrageous, just expensive when considering a backpacking tent if that is your purpose.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What's your need?  How much server weather camping do you do?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your need?  How much server weather camping do you do?  
Excellent points.  I don't think many people understand the differences between 4 season tents and 3 season tents.  Very few dedicated backpackers even own a 4 season tent, and the ones that do also own a lighter tent for the other three seasons.  A four season tent is really a one season tent- you use it when you're planning on setting up in high winds, heavy driving rains, or deep snowfall.  

The cool factor is there, and MH is one of my favorite outdoor companies (they still have a pro-pricing program for military), but I see a lot of people buying this tent- using it once and then putting it on a shelf.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I went in for one, because i've been on the fence for a while in regards to tents, I spent the last year only using a small tarp, and if I really needed off the ground a hammock.

My other wish listed item has been a Pathfinder Scout Tarp, which has no floor and weighs in at 8lb and would be highly frowned upon by my unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top