Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 2:43:36 PM EDT
....on another AR. I bought an Anderson lower several months ago for $46.50 shipped. I wanted to do a very low budget build or a pistol before the election. I ended up buying a 16" SS pencil barreled complete upper and a magpul STR lower build kit with the extra polish trigger. The total for the parts came to $495 with shipping. The Holosun 403B red dot was $169 with prime on Amazon. $710 total.

I don't think we will be seeing this again for a long time. I can't see the chumpster winning and I am worried for my country.  Even if he does win he is a nit wit.

We are stepping up our food storage. I have been slacking for a long time and now I'm making a bit more money so we are working on meal plans and stocking for them. That goes along with the rice and wheat I stored about 5 years ago.

We are working on paying down debt, but I am not as concerned with that as with putting tangibles away for a rainy day. I want to be out of debt so we can live better, but the money will continue to inflate rapidly with the government covering it up as best they can. Stuff seems more important than money at this point.

This is why I stepped up my AR build and am going to start putting some money into restocking my ammo inventory along with food preps.

Anyone else feeling this way?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish we had the money to do more than we have.

Could use a couple more ARs, but I may or may not have a few 80%s sitting in a box somewhere...

I did just take delivery of enough .22lr to train up my two boys until they are adults (assuming we don't have brick blaster parties like I did when I was young and .22 bricks were cheap ).

Of course, you can never have enough...

We have been working on getting ready for a Great Depression 2.0 with little money/jobs. So that basically means we have been investing in the homestead, even in place of paying down debt. Food is kind of important .

I'm not too worried unless we loose the house/senate. If Killary has the POTUS, House AND Senate, we are F*CKED regardless of what you do right now.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....on another AR. I bought an Anderson lower several months ago for $46.50 shipped. I wanted to do a very low budget build or a pistol before the election. I ended up buying a 16" SS pencil barreled complete upper and a magpul STR lower build kit with the extra polish trigger. The total for the parts came to $495 with shipping. The Holosun 403B red dot was $169 with prime on Amazon. $710 total.

I don't think we will be seeing this again for a long time. I can't see the chumpster winning and I am worried for my country.  Even if he does win he is a nit wit.

We are stepping up our food storage. I have been slacking for a long time and now I'm making a bit more money so we are working on meal plans and stocking for them. That goes along with the rice and wheat I stored about 5 years ago.

We are working on paying down debt, but I am not as concerned with that as with putting tangibles away for a rainy day. I want to be out of debt so we can live better, but the money will continue to inflate rapidly with the government covering it up as best they can. Stuff seems more important than money at this point.

This is why I stepped up my AR build and am going to start putting some money into restocking my ammo inventory along with food preps.

View Quote

PSA?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PSA?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA?

Yes. I have a SS pencil barrel already and it shoots very well. 6 1/2 lbs over all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I definitely panic stocked on some stuff. I have been stocking up on .22LR, 5.56 and 9mm ammo. I don't have any debt, but I haven't been saving anything the last few months because of all the stuff I've been buying. I do have a good savings already and my retirement contributions are maxed, but I haven't added anything to the savings account since March.

I filed Form 1s for three of my ARs and I got the stamps back, so I am working on getting the stuff I need to finish those builds. I still have Form 4s out on two more suppressors.

I've been stocking up on food and other emergency supplies as well; flashlights, water purifiers, batteries, clothes, blankets, silver, knives, anything that I think I might need if a disaster occurs or if money starts getting scarce. If Hillary wins then we could have any kind of catastrophe ranging from nuclear war to economic downturn, race riots to plague (what with all the unchecked foreigners coming from third world hell holes) and terrorism. Whatever she does, I'm sure it won't be good, and I am less and less confident that Trump is going to win.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
We're out of GD, so please don't take my questioning as disrespectful.

I have a few extra lowers myself, but I don't see a huge need to build a bunch.

Food, water purification, salt, ammo, mags are what I'm stocking.

I have a few ARs already.

What's the plan for your extra ARs? Family, or resale?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're out of GD, so please don't take my questioning as disrespectful.

I have a few extra lowers myself, but I don't see a huge need to build a bunch.

Food, water purification, salt, ammo, mags are what I'm stocking.

I have a few ARs already.

What's the plan for your extra ARs? Family, or resale?
View Quote

I have a wife and daughters that handle the light weight AR's better than my A2 barreled 16" and my favorite mid-weight 16" RRA. My goal is to teach them to run these ARs like it's second nature.

I only have 4 ARs. I am not planing on buying many more. Now I just need to supply our training ammo. I have the shift stash covered.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Makes sense.

Common caliber is key too.

One thing that's always made me think is caliber.

I wonder if (for example, just spitballing) .357 mag is more prevalent than 5.56. Or .308, or whatever.

I love guns, so not a big problem, but in a "what gun do I take?" It's an interesting thought.

If I had to leave, I almost think ARs + all my guns might be better than choosing 5 with tons of ammo and leaving some behind.

More caliber choices.

I don't think an event that would necessitate that is likely, but it's a good thought experiment.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Makes sense.

I wonder if (for example, just spitballing) .357 mag is more prevalent than 5.56. Or .308, or whatever.

I love guns, so not a big problem, but in a "what gun do I take?" It's an interesting thought.

If I had to leave, I almost think ARs + all my guns might be better than choosing 5 with tons of ammo and leaving some behind.

More caliber choices.

I don't think an event that would necessitate that is likely, but it's a good thought experiment.
View Quote

I keep ammo cans full of loaded magazines in different locations so I can retrieve them in case of a bug out. I can just grab a can or two and my ARs I have at home and go
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you handle other calibers?

I feel limiting yourself to just ARs might be just that.

I know you're active on this sub forum, so If I missed your answer, please inform me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you handle other calibers?

I feel limiting yourself to just ARs might be just that.

I know you're active on this sub forum, so If I missed your answer, please inform me.
View Quote

What I have is what I have. Period. It's all I can count on and may be all I will ever need. I'm never going to wander the desert and kill to survive, picking up spare rounds to live.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a good way to think about it.

I see temporary to mid length inconvenience, not anything crazy long term.

Certainly a need for guns, but not an EOTWAWKI.

Just thought some versatility might be nice, but you're probably right. What you have will most likely do fine. I don't think we'll ever see some crazy post apocalyptic scenario.

A blackout is more likely than an EMP stone age.

That's more what I plan for.

Doesn't mean I don't think about the crazies though.

Your advice is grounded in reality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Makes sense.

More caliber choices.

View Quote

I have tried to consolidate my guns down to calibers which are most common; .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP and 5.56/.223. In a situation where you wind up worrying about having to scavenge then you're likely to find these calibers. I have a few guns in other calibers, but I don't stock as much ammo.

If I had to run away then I'd grab my most preferred AR, pistols and a .22 rifle, and if there was time then take the BGCs out of whatever was left behind.

If you're in a situation where you have to leave, you know you're never coming back and you don't want to leave anything for someone else, well, there's always the scorched Earth approach.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have tried to consolidate my guns down to calibers which are most common; .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP and 5.56/.223. In a situation where you wind up worrying about having to scavenge then you're likely to find these calibers. I have a few guns in other calibers, but I don't stock as much ammo.

If I had to run away then I'd grab my most preferred AR, pistols and a .22 rifle, and if there was time then take the BGCs out of whatever was left behind.

If you're in a situation where you have to leave, you know you're never coming back and you don't want to leave anything for someone else, well, there's always the scorched Earth approach.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makes sense.

More caliber choices.

I would hide my spares in a place no one would easily find with loaded mags and food. My abandoned home would become a cache of sorts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My kit already shipped! I'll check the tracking on Monday but I would bet it's here by Friday.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I am fighting the urge to buy more components and such, but I'm paying down debt as well.

...maybe just some LR bullets for the bolt gun....I can afford that, right?

<5 minutes of clicking around>

...nope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm thinking spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The new one is on the left. I'll take some better pictures later. I already put a magpul MOE SL-K stock on it after this picture. They are both 6.25lbs.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have put my builds on hold personally in favor of the potential ban items as well as items I know will be hard to find. I bought lowers for the kids and my wife. I only have two for me (one waiting for a stamp to clear) I also put in for a 30 cal and 9mm suppressor before 41p hit. then I got my powder, primers, and bullets set for a little while. now i'm working on extra mags. then theres the food and water preps. long story short it's been a very painful election year and I don't see it getting any better any time soon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
How are those Holosun red dots?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How are those Holosun red dots?
View Quote

I've only shot it once but it looks great. It's tiny and the emitter is really tiny. Great field of view. 5 year battery life. Super light. No battery in the field of view on this one too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my brother in law to order the parts to finish a lower I gave him. PSA only had one type of barreled upper in 16". He got a carbine length chrome lined barreled upper and MOE equipped lower build kit. $486 delivered.

If he had ordered when I told him to help could have had a CHF middy for $499.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice addition!  I would love to add an ARES SCR or Ruger gunsite scout to my collections, but both are out of my budget for this year.

Otherwise...  I am content with my safe, and cabinet contents at this point in time.  I have been stocking up on some other consumables I let slide for a while.  Also preforming regular maintenance on some of my outdoor equipment.  I try to prep for realistic scenarios, but the more I watch what's going on, the more I question my out look on realistic scenarios.  

I think I am going to add some more canned goods, maybe a couple other things, but with the holiday season closing in, spending extra $ can be tough.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I still think what will affect us the most (collectively) will be the financial implosion.

Not sure if ANY candidate is able to stop it, but Killary sure as Hell won't.

I'm trying to get as ready as possible for Great Depression 2.0.

Realistically, for self defense I think 99% of us are just fine..
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I still think what will affect us the most (collectively) will be the financial implosion.

Not sure if ANY candidate is able to stop it, but Killary sure as Hell won't.

I'm trying to get as ready as possible for Great Depression 2.0.

Realistically, for self defense I think 99% of us are just fine..
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I just received my B5 handguards from Aim Surplus. They are more triangular than they look in the pictures. My girls like them better already.  I can't weigh them until the morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top