Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 8:00:51 AM EDT
Looking at building a Berkley style gravity water filter with a couple of stock pots. What brand filters to get at the best price? Where do you get them?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
We use the filters at monolithic marketplace. They are the dome filters from justwater.me

In use every day.

BTW, you can fit 3 in a 5 gallon bucket system. Highly recommended as many filters as possible at work simultaneously in your system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use the filters at monolithic marketplace. They are the dome filters from justwater.me

In use every day.

BTW, you can fit 3 in a 5 gallon bucket system. Highly recommended as many filters as possible at work simultaneously in your system.
View Quote

Are dome filters better than column filters? Is there a benefit to either design? Are there differences in cost?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are dome filters better than column filters? Is there a benefit to either design? Are there differences in cost?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In use every day.

I consider the dome filters less fragile than column filters (leverage). These dome filters we use have activated carbon inside to absorb chemicals and such as well (many ceramic filters are only the ceramic shell for bacteria and larger contaminants).

I do see some filters advertising insane amount of filtration (these justwater.me filters are good for 6-12 months of use for us), and that is only partly true. The ceramic WILL do its job for many, MANY gallons of water provided the ceramic shell is thick enough, intact (not cracked) and not clogged beyond cleaning. However, I also want to make sure I am absorbing the chemicals out of my drinking water as well, and that means activated carbon. Activated carbon is basically a sponge: once its full, its full and can no longer absorb contaminants.

The advantage to the column filters is surface area: more filtration area means faster flow.

And do remember that these types of systems are based on gravity (specifically the water pressure that gravity creates), so if you have a small upper chamber of dirty water, your flow will be slow. That is why we use 5 gallons buckets. The height an capacity give meaningful pressure and we fill the bottom chamber in just a few hours, even with dirty filters (we have stupid high iron levels that oxidize and are filtered out with our system).

Cost varies more by manufacturer than style.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I found some Berkeys in "used" condition on Amazon and picked one up there.

Does anyone know where to get the best deal on the black Berkey filters?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I found some Berkeys in "used" condition on Amazon and picked one up there.

Does anyone know where to get the best deal on the black Berkey filters?
View Quote
Who in the world wants a USED water filter

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top