Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's whey-based. I don't see how those who are lactose intolerant are able to have this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spend another grand and buy your own freeze dryer! Then you know the quality of the food you put away.

This, and it is what I'd like to do, since I can't have lots of lactose and salt..

I've tried the food here and it wasn't to bad. I bought a few items when on sale just for the great new england winters we get

If you are lactose intolerant, but still like to drink and use milk,

try Auguston Farms Morning moos

It's good stuff

It's whey-based. I don't see how those who are lactose intolerant are able to have this.

I'm not lactose intolerant, but I have a friend who is,
so my statement is based reviews I have read by lactose intolerant people (both on the Auguston Farms website and others) and on his results.

Apparently it depends on what a persons exact intolerance is.

However, my friend cannot drink milk, eat cheese or ice cream, without exploding......    
but he drinks the Morning Moos without problems and his wife uses it in recipes calling for milk and it also causes him no problems.

This website states that most of the lactose is removed during the production of whey,
http://www.getprograde.com/whey-protein-and-dairy-intolerance.html
Through the production of whey, lactose is mostly removed, which is usually the culprit behind most dairy issues.  

ETA: As with anything else, you should try it before stacking in bulk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of storing what you eat.....  

I have always been surprised at the number of people that eat canned foods.
I guess I should not be considering the number of canned goods at the store.

Seriously, I just looked in our cupboard and there are a couple of cans of tuna, a couple of cans of pumpkin (it's that time of year), and a can of Rotel tomatoes.

I like canned peaches (there is one can in the refrigerator),

but generally, my wife knows how to cook and she rarely uses anything out of a can.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seriously, I just looked in our cupboard and there are a couple of cans of tuna, a couple of cans of pumpkin (it's that time of year), and a can of Rotel tomatoes.

but generally, my wife knows how to cook and she rarely uses anything out of a can.
View Quote

What are you prepping for?  This seems to be a fair and reasonable question to ask somebody.

Well...it depends on the person, I guess, right?

Since hurricane Wilma, I've made it a point to keep some spare food for when the power goes out over an extended period of time.  For me, I lost power during hurricane Andrew for 18 hours, so no biggie.  For Wilma, it was 15 hours.  Just long enough for a few snacks, a cup of hot tea, or to see if the local restaurants were open.

However, my GF lost her power during Wilma for ~14 days, my boss for ~21 and my aunt/uncle came down for 5 days, from Boca Raton and stayed with me.  14-21 days can be a bummer without power and you're going to have to resort to making due with what you have.

Prepping for a few days/weeks, store bought canned goods can be fine, with soups, fruit, veggies, chilis, tuna, salmon, chicken, beans/rice and pasta/sauces, so they do have their place IMO.  

I've thought about keeping some of the F.D. foods like M.H. and B.P., but every time I start crunching the numbers, I think to myself...'wow, $6-$8 buys me a lot of soup, tuna and chili--stuff that will last only a couple of years, but it's stuff that I eat and like to eat, although not every day.

I'm in a condo, I have a small generator, but I can't rely on that to power the fridge.  If I don't get a lot of ice for my coolers before the rush comes and the power goes out, I've got a day, or so, until my food spoils, so what's left?

It sucks for me and I get it, but not everybody is preparing for a 30 year siege with a family of 6.  Some of us just need to be able to eat something for a week, or three, until things return to normal.

For the 'Great Collapse' that's apparently coming, it would be nice to have three million calories of beans, rice, canned goods and F.D. food, five acres and a plow, but that's not always practical for people, but keeping a month's worth of food, with ways to heat it up, doesn't have to be too hard.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What are you prepping for?  This seems to be a fair and reasonable question to ask somebody.

Since hurricane Wilma, I've made it a point to keep some spare food for when the power goes out over an extended period of time.  For me, I lost power during hurricane Andrew for 18 hours, so no biggie.  For Wilma, it was 15 hours.  Just long enough for a few snacks, a cup of hot tea, or to see if the local restaurants were open.

However, my GF lost her power during Wilma for ~14 days, my boss for ~21 and my aunt/uncle came down for 5 days, from Boca Raton and stayed with me.  14-21 days can be a bummer without power and you're going to have to resort to making due with what you have.

Prepping for a few days/weeks, store bought canned goods can be fine, with soups, fruit, veggies, chilis, tuna, salmon, chicken, beans/rice and pasta/sauces, so they do have their place IMO.  

I've thought about keeping some of the F.D. foods like M.H. and B.P., but every time I start crunching the numbers, I think to myself...'wow, $6-$8 buys me a lot of soup, tuna and chili--stuff that will last only a couple of years, but it's stuff that I eat and like to eat, although not every day.

I'm in a condo, I have a small generator, but I can't rely on that to power the fridge.  If I don't get a lot of ice for my coolers before the rush comes and the power goes out, I've got a day, or so, until my food spoils, so what's left?

It sucks for me and I get it, but not everybody is preparing for a 30 year siege with a family of 6.  Some of us just need to be able to eat something for a week, or three, until things return to normal.

For the 'Great Collapse' that's apparently coming, it would be nice to have three million calories of beans, rice, canned goods and F.D. food, five acres and a plow, but that's not always practical for people, but keeping a month's worth of food, with ways to heat it up, doesn't have to be too hard.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

No, I think you missed my point.

I agree everyone preps differently, and everyone thinks they have the best solution.
But everyone's situation is different, so what might be right for me, may not be right for someone else.
<insert theme from "Different Strokes">

My post was just a general observation I have made over the years of being in this forum.

A lot of times, people ask a pretty specific question, but eventually you get the "just store what you normally eat" responses.
I know you have seen the posts, "Just pick up extra of the canned goods you buy at the store, and rotate through them."

I was not making a judgement, just an observation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wise food tastes like crap. At least the samples they sent me a few years ago did.
View Quote

This the wife and I tried the samples and hated them. Got mountain house and liked them
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I really appreciate the input folks.  There is a lot to digest here, so I need to set some time aside to let all this settle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I only like mountain house and have a couple of weeks worth
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
In short, yes, you are crazy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Wise is TVP. Textured Vegetable Protein.  No meat in it.  It tastes like shit and has lots of sodium in it.  Buy Mountain House freeze dried meals instead.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm big into the Honeyville freeze dried food now
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Food will always have some value. Everyone has to eat. Whether Wise Freeze Dried is the best choice, I think several folks have weighed in on that already......

Personally, I have a mix of many different types of food- nearly a years worth of standard Grocery store items, including, yes, frozen foods. Nobody can tell you what YOUR SHTF will look like....the lights may stay on for a long time (depression scenario)...or go out without notice (grid attack).... Then I have really long term food- corn, wheat, lentils, beans, rice, honey, sugar, salt, macaroni etc.....Then I have "canned" long term foods-#10 cans of dehydrated fruits, vegetables, quick oats, powdered milk. Then I have several cases of MRE's and a large stash of freeze dried foods from Mountain House, Provident Pantry and Augauson Farms.

Each portion of the pantry has a role. Some are cheap. Some are extremely long term. Some are very light weight for use on patrols if necessary. Some are simply convenient and what we eat every day but in larger quantities. All of them have downsides too- some take more time to prepare or require water, some are expensive, some don't store as long as others, some are heavy or bulky and don't "travel" well......

Food storage is not as simple as "buy all the things and forget about it". Good luck to you sir.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago we began stocking up and found out we don't eat canned goods quickly enough and also failed to rotate properly.

I tossed 10 cans of tuna that expired in 2014 just before Matthew. Which means they were purchased in 2011/2012.  

I feel that wasting food is a sin as well.

Freeze dried is the way to go if you're stocking for Shelf life of more than a couple of years.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember they will likely all go bad before you ever use them.

Remember beans plus rice is  balanced diet nutritionally, so we opted to make this:  Scotch Broth

We did buy some freeze dried vegetables for variety plus a ton of hard candy (mix).

I just figured we could find meat, frog legs - birds - squirrel - venison - pork - fish as needed but the balanced calories would be much harder to find and store if it was in dried meats.

*With any kind of notice we do intend to essentially wipe-out the canned meats section at the supermarket.  For looming disasters around here folks seem to buy milk, eggs and bread for survival food.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I have about a 1 year supply of MH for one person, but that is not realistic due to family. Most of my food storage is bulk beans, rice, pasta, corn, wheat, oats etc. they are in mylar bags in buckets with O2 absorbers. Things people forget are salt, sugar, powdered milk and fats. I store 50 lbs of flour in 2 25 lb mylar bags and rotate it out since the shelf life is short. All of this supports my canned food rotation. Shelf Reliance brand shelving has been a big help in ensuring rotation. Don't for get spices! All those beans and rice will suck without them.
Freeze drying is awesome. A few friends and i pitched in and bought a harvest right freeze dryer. it is amazing. the food is delicious.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have about a 1 year supply of MH for one person, but that is not realistic due to family. Most of my food storage is bulk beans, rice, pasta, corn, wheat, oats etc. they are in mylar bags in buckets with O2 absorbers. Things people forget are salt, sugar, powdered milk and fats. I store 50 lbs of flour in 2 25 lb mylar bags and rotate it out since the shelf life is short. All of this supports my canned food rotation. Shelf Reliance brand shelving has been a big help in ensuring rotation. Don't for get spices! All those beans and rice will suck without them.
Freeze drying is awesome. A few friends and i pitched in and bought a harvest right freeze dryer. it is amazing. the food is delicious.
View Quote

I love my Harvest Right  freeze dryer.  Waiting on the replacement touch screen and USB port. Mine got wet and they are sending me a new set along with a water dam.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wise food tastes like crap. At least the samples they sent me a few years ago did.
View Quote

Good point.  Get a sample and see if the stuff is even edible.  

When buying food, better look over what they send.  Some places dump a lot of cereals or drinks which is a total rip off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't like Wise's stuff.  I don't think they use real meat, instead they use textured vegetable protein (TVP).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't go that far in on freeze dried stuff unless you really like it -- I'm a proponent of stocking what you eat.

To the point about canned foods sitting less than five years and developing moisture problems, I think most people suggest rotating canned foods far more frequently, which keeps the stock fresh and gives you a chance to detect storage issues.  If you are buying what you eat, this is pretty straightforward -- it's not like you need to eat Mountain House or MREs for 3 months to use them up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#21]
no.   to the original op question.   weather others think its a deal or not.

you will soon have more "survival" food then you did have before.

a deal for me may not be a deal for you.

i dont see anything wrong with getting more food.

good move, kudos to you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Op, not nuts at all - freeze dried should be part of every prepper's gear.

I spent some cash on mountain house a few years ago and with a 30 year+ shelf life on the #10 cans I feel like it has been a great investment in peace of mind over the years.  I know that for a while, anyway, I can feed my family after an event like Katrina or some other kind of short-to-medium term event like that.  

I like Mountain house in that I was able to go to the store and buy pouch sized servings to taste test before making a larger investment - I personally didnt find the Wise as tasty, but to each their own.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whether you are crazy or not, depends.

But, You have do the research and know exactly what you are getting and how many calories are involved.
You have to read the nutritional information and not be concerned with "servings"
This usually means going to the Wise Food website to get that info.

Some people do not think Wise FD foods taste particularly good, you may want to try some if you have not.

Some points to consider:

Freeze Dried foods are expensive compared to other LTS foods.

Freeze dried foods usually have a lot of sodium.

A serving is NOT a meal.

ETA: I just went to the Wise website and getting actual nutritional information about their products is like pulling teeth.
View Quote

This is an important point - especially when looking at #10 cans.  If you buy a Pro-Pak Mountain house meal, 16 oz is a "serving".  For a regular size, 12 oz is a "serving".  In the #10 can 8oz is a "serving".  Also the salt varies wildly between those 3 options oz for oz.  either way, you have to look at calories so if you want 8 oz which has about 340 calories to be a "meal' you are going to have to add rice or beans or bread or something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is an important point - especially when looking at #10 cans.  If you buy a Pro-Pak Mountain house meal, 16 oz is a "serving".  For a regular size, 12 oz is a "serving".  In the #10 can 8oz is a "serving".  Also the salt varies wildly between those 3 options oz for oz.  either way, you have to look at calories so if you want 8 oz which has about 340 calories to be a "meal' you are going to have to add rice or beans or bread or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whether you are crazy or not, depends.

But, You have do the research and know exactly what you are getting and how many calories are involved.
You have to read the nutritional information and not be concerned with "servings"
This usually means going to the Wise Food website to get that info.

Some people do not think Wise FD foods taste particularly good, you may want to try some if you have not.

Some points to consider:

Freeze Dried foods are expensive compared to other LTS foods.

Freeze dried foods usually have a lot of sodium.

A serving is NOT a meal.

ETA: I just went to the Wise website and getting actual nutritional information about their products is like pulling teeth.

Exactly,
Wise and a lot of other companies that prepackage meals tout "servings",
but people don't eat like that.

Most people do not eat a serving of eggs and move on.
They have a serving of eggs, a serving of meat, a serving of toast, and coffee, juice or both.

How many people actually measure their cereal in the morning?
If you do, I think most people might be surprised to see what Kellogg's thinks a "serving" of Corn Flakes is.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have much for complete mountain house type meals.

I do have many 5 gal buckets with:

Pasta;
Beans;
Rice;
Stone cut oats;
veggies;
pop corn;
sugar;
salt;
soup/gravy bases.

My meat storage is weak. I just don't have a good answer that works with my family.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't have much for complete mountain house type meals.

I do have many 5 gal buckets with:

Pasta;
Beans;
Rice;
Stone cut oats;
veggies;
pop corn;
sugar;
salt;
soup/gravy bases.

My meat storage is weak. I just don't have a good answer that works with my family.

View Quote

Your answer is freeze drying, if you can afford to get a harvestright freeze dryer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A few years ago we began stocking up and found out we don't eat canned goods quickly enough and also failed to rotate properly.

I tossed 10 cans of tuna that expired in 2014 just before Matthew. Which means they were purchased in 2011/2012.  

Freeze dried is the way to go if you're stocking for Shelf life of more than a couple of years.

View Quote

You know that expiration dates are set by lawyers?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. Those dates are placed on the cans to assure maximum freshness. The cans are good for several years after that and up to ten years if stored properly. However canned foods do lose nutritional value over the years. My canned foods make up about 10% of my my overall food preps. We keep a lot of cans of things we use frequently and not very much of other canned items.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What isn't?

Guaranteed they are the dirt that decides when the world is going to expire as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife bitched at me for buying a couple of the Mountain House "Just in Case" buckets.

Now I have 9 of them in the basement.  

I figure, worst case, we have 3 weeks worth of food for the two of us.  Best case, double that.

I'm planning 2 more every month until I have 3 months worth, worst case.  How much that will cost me, I don't really care at this point.  I've got a really, really bad feeling for what the near future is going to bring.  

If I don't ever use the MH foods, my kids will enjoy it after I'm gone.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
try safecastle.com for mountain house.  I've bought a TON of stuff from them.  Vic will do you right!
View Quote

Nice link, just picked up a #10 can of freeze dried shrimp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What restrictions are you working with?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the most part, we don't eat canned food. My son and I manage work through a fair amount of tuna fish, but that's the only meat we can rotate.

I've considered canning, but the reduced shelf-life may require more discipline than my wife is going to have.

I will look into freeze drying, as I can take as many deer/hog that I'm willing to process.

It would be nice to have a few hundred pounds set back with a huge shelf life.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For the most part, we don't eat canned food. My son and I manage work through a fair amount of tuna fish, but that's the only meat we can rotate.

I've considered canning, but the reduced shelf-life may require more discipline than my wife is going to have.

I will look into freeze drying, as I can take as many deer/hog that I'm willing to process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought maybe you had some dietary restrictions you were working with.

We don't eat a lot of canned foods either.
For freeze dried we have some cans of various fruits.
I did pick up some cans of FD hamburger and chicken just cause I saw it on sale.

We do stock some cans of SPAM (various flavors) and DAK hams, and some canned bacon.

Home canning - my wife has canned some meats and they turned out pretty well.
The real winner for home canning for me is her homemade jams.

The math does not make sense for us to buy our own Freeze Dryer.
My wife and I are approaching retirement age.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Making a batch of freeze dried sausage gravy right now, food that will last like 25-30 years is a great investment, IMO
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Making a batch of freeze dried sausage gravy right now, food that will last like 25-30 years is a great investment, IMO
View Quote

Only if you need it/use it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Like many people, I don't eat much canned food either.  But there are some ordinary high calorie foods that keep for a decent amount of time and don't need refrigeration or water to prepare them.  Stuff like peanut butter, nutella, cereal, crackers, pop tarts, etc.  If you want several years worth of food you'll need to go more extreme, but to last a few weeks or months should be doable with thoughtful selection of ordinary food you may like to eat already.

And if you don't have a very solid water solution, stuff like pasta, rice and dried beans become an issue because they all require water that could become very precious in an emergency, particularly if boiling won't make your water safe (poisoned supply, for example) or if water supply is cut off entirely for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Buy a freeze dried food dehydrater with the money instead, or at least a down payment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not a zero sum game, I guess is my point?  

$2000 buys you a lot of quality canned/boxed/bagged goods that are probably more nutritious than the F.D. stuff and cheaper.  The downside is weight (having to move it in a hurry) and shelf life (1-3 years.)

If all food ceased to be for sale and you had $2000 in F.D. stuff, you'd think that you'd be sitting pretty, but perhaps not?  In my equations above, $500 gets three people 3 meals a day and perhaps more, for 9 days.  Round up to 10 days, so $2000 gets you to 40 days, for 3 people.

Buying F.D. in larger cans and bulk, might get you to 60-80 days, for the same amount of cash?

Yeah, you'll be alive longer than most, but that's only a quarter year at best.

Buying stuff you regularly use from the Piggly Wiggly, but $2000 worth, might pay larger (longer) dividends down the road, is all I'm trying to point out.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap insurance.

True, there is lots of sodium & fats, but when you are hungry and there is no other foods available during a disaster, you are NOT about to quabble of excessive Na & fats. BTW most of MH food can be eaten by adding water to rehydrate, not so with other foods, read the labels on other freeze-dried foods.

Personally for me, I get the sealed gallon can variety.

It's not a zero sum game, I guess is my point?  

$2000 buys you a lot of quality canned/boxed/bagged goods that are probably more nutritious than the F.D. stuff and cheaper.  The downside is weight (having to move it in a hurry) and shelf life (1-3 years.)

If all food ceased to be for sale and you had $2000 in F.D. stuff, you'd think that you'd be sitting pretty, but perhaps not?  In my equations above, $500 gets three people 3 meals a day and perhaps more, for 9 days.  Round up to 10 days, so $2000 gets you to 40 days, for 3 people.

Buying F.D. in larger cans and bulk, might get you to 60-80 days, for the same amount of cash?

Yeah, you'll be alive longer than most, but that's only a quarter year at best.

Buying stuff you regularly use from the Piggly Wiggly, but $2000 worth, might pay larger (longer) dividends down the road, is all I'm trying to point out.

Chris

Chris has the best way I could ever describe it. I started getting into FD stuff and was buying a few cans every pay day. I quite that a while ago because it was a ripoff. I reverted to canned goods and bought the stuff I liked to eat already. I started canning my own veggies with my own pressure canner and did my own meats as well. It's much cheaper than FD. I have a few FD things I keep handy, like FD Eggs and cheese powder. That's about it. When I saw low sodium canned veggies on sale, for 3 for $1, I jumped on it and bought flats. I stored as many as I could. Then went back for more on pay day. It's about being smart with your money and looking to store what you already use.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top