Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2016 10:21:10 AM EDT
Midway has Wise food on sale at some really good prices.  I can piece together a 2100 serving kit with the majority being proteins (meats 480, eggs 432 and milk 360) and the rest being vegetables and some entree for under $2000 shipped.  

I have plenty of access to easily prepped carbs in the form of everything (bonus being in the restaurant industry).

Wondering if I should just focus on meats and veggies?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say you are obviously nuts, since I was told I was nuts for spending less than $200 on freeze dried foods.

I am used to be calling nuts however, so I wouldn't worry about it.

A focus on freeze dried meats and veggies sounds good to me.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends.

If you are a debt ridden college student who moves about from couch to couch it is probably a bad decision.

If you are financially secure, laying in food is almost never a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Whether you are crazy or not, depends.

But, You have do the research and know exactly what you are getting and how many calories are involved.
You have to read the nutritional information and not be concerned with "servings"
This usually means going to the Wise Food website to get that info.

Some people do not think Wise FD foods taste particularly good, you may want to try some if you have not.

Some points to consider:

Freeze Dried foods are expensive compared to other LTS foods.

Freeze dried foods usually have a lot of sodium.

A serving is NOT a meal.

ETA: I just went to the Wise website and getting actual nutritional information about their products is like pulling teeth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
yes !
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Ummm, I am gonna go nuts.  For where and what you are buying.  I am not a wise food fan.  That stuff gives me nasty gas and is not as good as others.

Sam's club carries Auguson farms.  IMO it is better tasting and no issues. It is also cheaper than midways sale price.

Looking at the one item I pulled up (chili mac) amazon sells the augason farms at an every day price comparable to midways sale price.

SOme of the walmarts around me carry augason.  At better prices than the midway sale price on wise.  IF you get UPC codes your local walmart or sams can order them in, speak to the manager.

I usually avoid pre-made kits.  But Augason does a 1 month bucket )1800 calories a day, a little but of fuel and a water bottle with filter) for around 90 dollars. My local Sam's club carry them.

Emergency essentials is also a good place to buy.

Also, for bulk grains, beans and some veggies/fruits you can go to the lds store and order them in number 10 cans by the case at a very reasonable price.  No you do not need to be a member and no they do not start showing up at the house or calling.  I just ordered a case of wheat (35 pounds iirrc, a case of beans (the same) and another case of macaroni.

As to what to get, meats are pricey.  Grains and beans have a better calorie to $ ratio (one pound of grain is approximately 1600 calories.  I pound of beans is around 1200 or 1300).  Lentils have the most protien of any of the beans (IIRC 9 of the 11 humans need) and require no soaking.  Veggies are good for vitamins but low on calories.  

I recommend a balanced approach.  I stored grains and beans, got a good base line and then started adding stuff as I could.  This is helped by walmart carrying it at not a lot more than sams (sams is deliver to home on most of the Augason farms stuff.).  Also, do not forgot salt (8 pounds a year) sugar and some dairy.

JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Nuts, go on a vacation and spend that money on having a normal life
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Wise food tastes like crap. At least the samples they sent me a few years ago did.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i would say you might be better off looking at mountain house "kits" at places like beprepared.com

they have sales all the time on #10 cans, 6 at a time (meats, veggies, fruits, etc)

just look at their "food combos."  I am too lazy to shop can at a time, so have gone this route.  would be curious how $2K of this compares to Wyse (calories, etc)

My experience is that the MH stuff is pretty good, but have not had to live solely off of it (yet).

For the most part, you have 25+ years to eat it, so it should not go to waste.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell no you aren't crazy.

Y'know why you bought all of that? Because without it you'd still be biting your fingernails.

You aren't biting your fingernails anymore, are you.

Better to have, and not need, than to need and not have.

And you WILL eat it one way or another eventually. Money well spent, for preparation and piece of mind.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nuts, go on a vacation and spend that money on having a normal life
View Quote

Oh, believe me that thought is my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Spend another grand and buy your own freeze dryer! Then you know the quality of the food you put away.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Spend another grand and buy your own freeze dryer! Then you know the quality of the food you put away.
View Quote

This, and it is what I'd like to do, since I can't have lots of lactose and salt..

I've tried the food here and it wasn't to bad. I bought a few items when on sale just for the great new england winters we get
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, and it is what I'd like to do, since I can't have lots of lactose and salt..

I've tried the food here and it wasn't to bad. I bought a few items when on sale just for the great new england winters we get
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are lactose intolerant, but still like to drink and use milk,

try Auguston Farms Morning moos

It's good stuff
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
NO!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not have the time to do the prep.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
try safecastle.com for mountain house.  I've bought a TON of stuff from them.  Vic will do you right!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
then hit your nearest Mormen pantry and spend another K on basics to fill in the middle and fill bellies.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]
$2k on stored food, wise choice.

On Wise foods, crazy choice.

Build a deeper pantry, start buying meat by the animal.

But, if you REALLY think you need freeze dried stuff, buy a case of it and eat NOTHING but that for a week or so and report back. While you are wondering why you are hungry after eating your "servings", read the label and realize how little calories and how much salt you get in that very expensive little pouch.

<-- Has over 2 years of food stored, not a single freeze dried anything to be found..
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
$2000 buys you a lot of sodium!

Unless you need to move $2000 worth of food in a hurry and with little effort, maybe you could parse that amount down to something in the $500 range?

At about $5-$6 delivered, per standard pouch of Mountain House, at least from this guy..., $500 gets you 83+ bags and more if you go with some of the breakfast/dessert/snack type offerings.

83 bags divided by 3 per day gives you 27 days, or 9 days for 3 people, looking at it in that regard.

The other $1500 can go to food that you would normally eat and rotate through as their expiry dates approached.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Cheap insurance.

True, there is lots of sodium & fats, but when you are hungry and there is no other foods available during a disaster, you are NOT about to quabble of excessive Na & fats. BTW most of MH food can be eaten by adding water to rehydrate, not so with other foods, read the labels on other freeze-dried foods.

Personally for me, I get the sealed gallon can variety.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
There are cheaper and healthier ways to stock up on food.

If you've already done those and it doesn't hurt your budget, then by all means, get some freeze dried.  It is the most convenient of the long term storage.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cheap insurance.

True, there is lots of sodium & fats, but when you are hungry and there is no other foods available during a disaster, you are NOT about to quabble of excessive Na & fats. BTW most of MH food can be eaten by adding water to rehydrate, not so with other foods, read the labels on other freeze-dried foods.

View Quote

It's not a zero sum game, I guess is my point?  

$2000 buys you a lot of quality canned/boxed/bagged goods that are probably more nutritious than the F.D. stuff and cheaper.  The downside is weight (having to move it in a hurry) and shelf life (1-3 years.)

If all food ceased to be for sale and you had $2000 in F.D. stuff, you'd think that you'd be sitting pretty, but perhaps not?  In my equations above, $500 gets three people 3 meals a day and perhaps more, for 9 days.  Round up to 10 days, so $2000 gets you to 40 days, for 3 people.

Buying F.D. in larger cans and bulk, might get you to 60-80 days, for the same amount of cash?

Yeah, you'll be alive longer than most, but that's only a quarter year at best.

Buying stuff you regularly use from the Piggly Wiggly, but $2000 worth, might pay larger (longer) dividends down the road, is all I'm trying to point out.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Midway has Wise food on sale at some really good prices.  I can piece together a 2100 serving kit with the majority being proteins (meats 480, eggs 432 and milk 360) and the rest being vegetables and some entree for under $2000 shipped.  

I have plenty of access to easily prepped carbs in the form of everything (bonus being in the restaurant industry).

View Quote

Not sure what kind of food you eat, if youve tried other brands or how much experience you have with cooking/stockpiling long term food.
You probably are nuts
But if I had to guess Id say youre jumping a bit too fast into this and not storing the best bang per buck. Then again maybe you eat this brand often, like it and it makes perfect sense for you.
I know I can store a heck of a lot of rice, lentils, canned meat and vetables for that money.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$2000 buys you a lot of quality canned/boxed/bagged goods that are probably more nutritious than the F.D. stuff and cheaper.  The downside is weight (having to move it in a hurry) and shelf life (1-3 years.)

If all food ceased to be for sale and you had $2000 in F.D. stuff, you'd think that you'd be sitting pretty, but perhaps not?  In my equations above, $500 gets three people 3 meals a day and perhaps more, for 9 days.  Round up to 10 days, so $2000 gets you to 40 days, for 3 people.

Buying F.D. in larger cans and bulk, might get you to 60-80 days, for the same amount of cash?

Buying stuff you regularly use from the Piggly Wiggly, but $2000 worth, might pay larger (longer) dividends down the road, is all I'm trying to point out.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap insurance.

Chris

Please stop.  Yes, you can spend stupid amounts of money on a little bit of stuff.  But if you take the time to look around you can get a lot of bang for the buck.  Is all FD the way to go?  No, but I have a bunch of it.  I did not spend 2K getting it.  I think. One of the local wal-marts carries Augason farms so I tend to just throw some in when I am in that store.  But the information you are putting out shows you do not have a lot of knowledge on the topic.

There are a lot better and cheaper ways to buy FD/dehydrated/bulk food than mountain house pouches or the wise garbage.  I can get Augason farms stuff for around three bucks a pouch shipped to my door.  I can get a bucket that is $90 that is 1800 calories a day for one person for a month.  You can get a one month 1650 calorie a day kit for four shipped to your door for under $500.

While having extra stuff from the store is good there are factors beyond the whole easy to move and shelf life.  There is storage space.  Compare the space you need for 730,000 calories of crap from the store to what you need for the same number of calories in FD/dehydrated/bulk stuff.  Unless you are buying nothing but cases of mac and cheese the store bought is gonna take a shit ton more room.  I super pail of grain is 72000 calories.  Beans run roughly  54-60K per bucket.  Dehydrated vegetables take up very little space.  I can get a years worth of soup out of some where between a quart jug and number ten can of dehydrated veggies.  For some perspective I dehydrated between 1.5 and 2 gunny sacks of corn a few years ago.  It fits in less space than two one gallon milk jugs.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy foods you normally eat and rotate them in to your routine as they "expire".

You may actually get to enjoy some of that money rather than letting it sit in the garage for 15 years...
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap insurance.

Chris
Totally agree. I buy shelf-stable food at the local super and at the Asian stores. Way cheaper than MH.
BTW I have run into 20lb vacuum-packed white rice at the Asian supers for about $20, thel vac packed rice is better than the regular ones because the bugs won't hatch. If you treat bag gently, the bag will keep its vacuum for 3-5 years at least. I drop something on mine, and plastic bag swelled up with air right away, I ate it. I believe it was about 3 years old.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
my take?  Yes. You are.

Freeze dried has a role to play.  Its light and convenient.  However, for that kind of money you could squirrel away a LOT more food if you went with less prepared foods.  Buy a grain mill and canned grain, rice, beans.  Then supplement that base with dehydrated and yes, some freeze dried, veggies and fruits.  Round it out with candies, sauces, sugar, peanut butter, pasta and the like.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're nuts if you buy Wise. Their food is awful. Buy Mountain House
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Yea wise sucks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's good stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good stuff

It's whey-based. I don't see how those who are lactose intolerant are able to have this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#33]
It's your money, spend it on whatever the hell you want...

Not a Wise fan, myself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Making my own now. Bought the Harvest Right freeze dryer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wise food tastes like crap. At least the samples they sent me a few years ago did.
View Quote

this

lacking on meat,mostly filler

If i was to buy fd food, it would be MH on sale or the emergency essential brand.

I use it as a small serving with lots of flavor and bulk it with starch/+fat
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Not sure what kind of food you eat, if youve tried other brands or how much experience you have with cooking/stockpiling long term food.

You probably are nuts

But if I had to guess Id say youre jumping a bit too fast into this and not storing the best bang per buck. Then again maybe you eat this brand often, like it and it makes perfect sense for you.

I know I can store a heck of a lot of rice, lentils, canned meat and vetables for that money.

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You probably are nuts

FerFAL

Lmao........

Says the guy that moves every few years..lol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

my take?  Yes. You are.

Freeze dried has a role to play.  Its light and convenient.  However, for that kind of money you could squirrel away a LOT more food if you went with less prepared foods.  Buy a grain mill and canned grain, rice, beans.  Then supplement that base with dehydrated and yes, some freeze dried, veggies and fruits.  Round it out with candies, sauces, sugar, peanut butter, pasta and the like.

View Quote

This.

Self packing canning wins it.

But if you got $$$$ to blow at a problem....I guess you did good.

Your better off than doing nothing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please stop.  Yes, you can spend stupid amounts of money on a little bit of stuff.  But if you take the time to look around you can get a lot of bang for the buck.  Is all FD the way to go?  No, but I have a bunch of it.  I did not spend 2K getting it.  I think. One of the local wal-marts carries Augason farms so I tend to just throw some in when I am in that store.  But the information you are putting out shows you do not have a lot of knowledge on the topic.
View Quote

Stay focused on what the OP is asking.  He mentions spending ~$2000 on 'WISE type' F.D. foods, not buying a food dehydrator, 55gal drums of beans and rice, or starting a farm.

He's obviously not thinking about scouring the WWW for the best prices to the Nth degree, either.

Finally, he never mentions how long he wants his $2000 of F.D. food to last, either.

You're obviously planning for many years of having no 'supermarket foods' available and you're right, that probably does take up a lot of space.  I'm in condo and don't have a lot of cabinet space to begin with, nor a garage to store stuff in, so having 10-15 years worth of dry, canned goods isn't happening for me.

Anyhow, I stand by my comments that narrowly focus on what the OP was asking, which was not how to prepare for End Times, or the Rapture, but rather how to go about being prepared for relatively short terms of disorder and a moderately short interruption in food stocks.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Wise may not be the best option. I have doubts about Wise foods.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!

I stocked up on mountain house years ago.

I think the sodium level would kill me before starvation would
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought heavily when we used to do the mountain house group buys here on the forum. Spent thousands, and it was worth it.

But, we didn't have a home freeze dryer available at the time, and I would have been much farther ahead to buy one of those and then buy quality food on sale and dry my own. Mountain house is really good for what it is, but you don't get to buy what you like to eat, you buy something they make that you like enough to store. It's really salty food, and many of the foods have the contents cubed up for more efficient drying,... it might taste like real food but not feel like it for the first few bites.

The other thing is that there is a difference between being fed and not being hungry. 10 servings of food from a MH can will have you on an empty stomach, I don't care who you are. Having freeze dried is good if you have carbs to supplement like you do, but it's better to buy good food on sale and dry at your leisure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I just want to throw out there that storing canned foods of what you eat isn't all it's cracked up to be either. I have a root cellar that developed a moisture problem and had significant loss of food this year after less than 5 years stored for some of the cans. When one can leaked, it provided the moisture for the other cans to rust, which made for an even worse problem.

FD and dry goods in Mylar bags is the way to go if you view your food as an insurance policy you can count on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I live and work out of a 32' travel trailer in the South Texas oilfield.  This summer, due to laziness and job factors, I lived 100 days with the food I had on hand in the trailer.  Over the years, I have found out what I liked to eat and many combinations of the same basic ingredients to make different dishes.  I needed to rotate the larder anyway and this was the perfect opportunity.

Two of the key pieces of equipment that made this possible were a small chest freezer and a Foodsaver vacuum machine because canned food gets just tiresome after awhile. The chest freezer runs backup on a small generator run a few hours a day OR a small battery bank and inverter if regular power is not available. If I run it on the inverter, I plug it into a timer which shuts it off nightly between 2300 and 0800.  I ate hamburger, chicken, pork and veggies that were frozen as much as 3 years ago and showed no deterioration, freezer burn or off taste.  I drank coffee from fresh beans that were vacuum packed 2 years ago. I make my own bread so yeah, I got by just fine.

Yep, I have some MH and I DID eat some of the meals that I rotated out of my BOB.  In my case, the items that were missed most were bacon and fresh eggs.  The OVA EASY egg product is not bad for cooking but it sucks for breakfast.  I just failed to put enough bacon back.  My bad.

I am in the process now of restocking the larder and refilling the freezer.  I did buy a few cases of MH recently because I think it is a PART of the overall solution but definitely NOT my main food source.

One of the things I spaced on entirely was food for my German Shepherd.  Amazon Prime took up that slack.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Mountain House is good stuff.  The only other freeze dried food I have gotten is Provident Pantry.  All this freeze dried stuff is great for camping/hiking.

Watch for sales.  Mountain House stuff will be on sale from time to time but is expensive overall.

Freeze dried food is part of a solution, but only a part.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It's your money, spend it on whatever the hell you want...

Not a Wise fan, myself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just want to throw out there that storing canned foods of what you eat isn't all it's cracked up to be either. I have a root cellar that developed a moisture problem and had significant loss of food this year after less than 5 years stored for some of the cans. When one can leaked, it provided the moisture for the other cans to rust, which made for an even worse problem.

FD and dry goods in Mylar bags is the way to go if you view your food as an insurance policy you can count on.
View Quote

put the cans in mylar?

I'd sure as hell rather eat 2k worth of canned food than 2k worth of freeze dried.

A bunch of bags of rice
A bunch of bags of beans
1800 $1 cans of tuna, chicken, stew, Soups, Sauces, Vegetables, fruits, etc

it would be a hell of a lot better and a lot more calories. yeah, it would weigh more and take up more space.  But you would actually want to eat it.  and you could rotate stock while wanting to eat it. "Oh, this tomato sauce is a few years old. let's make some spaghetti and buy some more sauce"  Not "mmm i just feel like eating some re-hydrated gruel this week, i'll suffer thru some MH rotating."

IMO.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mountain House is good stuff.  The only other freeze dried food I have gotten is Provident Pantry.  All this freeze dried stuff is great for camping/hiking.

Watch for sales.  Mountain House stuff will be on sale from time to time but is expensive overall.

Freeze dried food is part of a solution, but only a part.
View Quote

For a couple-nighter, gimme a chunk of dried salami, some hard cheese, a few oatmeal packets, a frozen steak for the first night if im feeling luxurious, a couple candy/protein bars and a baguette or crackers.

vs. DH, DH, DH, DH.  Maybe the DH is lighter but it'll suck.  weight difference doesnt add up to much, and could be favorable if youre not camped at water.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
i would say you might be better off looking at mountain house "kits" at places like beprepared.com

they have sales all the time on #10 cans, 6 at a time (meats, veggies, fruits, etc)

just look at their "food combos."  I am too lazy to shop can at a time, so have gone this route.  would be curious how $2K of this compares to Wyse (calories, etc)

My experience is that the MH stuff is pretty good, but have not had to live solely off of it (yet).

For the most part, you have 25+ years to eat it, so it should not go to waste.

View Quote

We have some Wise, Mountain and others, ++ on buying the #10's. You want variety, so canned, grains, etc is what you want to do, some MRE's as well.

We also invested in storing water. Ammo, guns, medical supplies, pet foods, and communications as well as bartering items.

Buying 2K of Wise might not be the best but buying to prepare was a smart move.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#50]
It really makes no difference what anyone on this site says. You bought it for reasons only you fully understand. You do not need to find validation from anyone here. Only you know the circumstances you are in and what threats/problems you see on the horizon.

I wish you well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top