Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Was used widely in France during the 2nd WW.  Very low compression engines by today's standards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Gasification is a long putt and a bit of a contraption. I think a more sustainable program that could be done with less effort is simply making an alcohol powered genny and making ethanol. The other option would be a steam generator that uses wood. This could produce heat as well as power.

Either way, its best to plan for the most part how to get along without electricity OR how to store enough fuel for an extended period.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't bought or tried this guys plans, but I was impressed by his video demonstration enough to have the plans on my Christmas list.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
gasification produces carbon monoxide. reason they went away from it was too many deaths
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

gasification produces carbon monoxide. reason they went away from it was too many deaths
View Quote

So do BBQ grills and any combustion engine....
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in anywhere near the quantity if they are ventilated properly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Gasification makes far more CO. If you wanna play with it just put it far away from the fam and enclosed structures
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thoughts...

E775 #1

E775#2

E775#3
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny. Not because your wrong. Because simplified, gasification is like a bbq and combustion engine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Thoughts...

E775 #1

E775#2

E775#3
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  E775#4
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been following this guy for a while. I want to try this eventually too.

http://www.driveonwood.com/press/wood-gas/
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gasification is a long putt and a bit of a contraption. I think a more sustainable program that could be done with less effort is simply making an alcohol powered genny and making ethanol. The other option would be a steam generator that uses wood. This could produce heat as well as power.

Either way, its best to plan for the most part how to get along without electricity OR how to store enough fuel for an extended period.
View Quote

Might be interesting to do so math on gasification to kw hours and ethanol to kw hours.

Can make ethanol from multiple sources
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The key to alternative power is batteries and inverters. With storage, you can run a generator for an hour or two, pump water, run A/C, etc. and store the extra for lights, refrigeration, and furnace.

Solar needs a generator for weather related periods. Propane doesn't get refilled if SHTF. The supply chain is too long and complex.

Gasifiers are necessary for long duration SHTF to TEOTWAWKI problems.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Soybeans?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Soybeans?
View Quote

You mean for biodiesel? I was thinking the something similar. Wouldn't biodiesel be a better energy source than wood for the long term?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Got all that my brother. We've been producing our own power since late 1999. Currently 5KW solar, running 28 L16's in our battery bank. Have another 3KW of solar to install next spring.

It's all about options. I'm sitting amongst several hundred acres of woods..... And I'm in the south. We only use 1/2 cord to 2 cords of wood a winter for heat for the three stoves in the main house. Usually have 5-7 years of wood split and stacked amongst sheds in various states of drying.

Just considering various options/things I had not considered.

Ethanol- lots of corn correct? Unless you were talking about switchgrass and I missed it.

Corn= lots of nitrogen, at least down here in our soils. As an experiment one year I grew a small stand of corn via ONLY organic inputs. A 30x50 stand required ALL the manure we could scrounge from our rabbits, chickens and goats put on regularly to make that stand. We usually use commercial fertilizer if we grow corn down here. It is NOT deep Midwest soil that is super good. It's sand without a lot of OM.

So ethanol might be an option, but a highly strenuous one as I've grown corn here  and realize how much N input it takes to get a good stand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The key to alternative power is batteries and inverters. With storage, you can run a generator for an hour or two, pump water, run A/C, etc. and store the extra for lights, refrigeration, and furnace.

Solar needs a generator for weather related periods. Propane doesn't get refilled if SHTF. The supply chain is too long and complex.

Gasifiers are necessary for long duration SHTF to TEOTWAWKI problems.

Got all that my brother. We've been producing our own power since late 1999. Currently 5KW solar, running 28 L16's in our battery bank. Have another 3KW of solar to install next spring.

It's all about options. I'm sitting amongst several hundred acres of woods..... And I'm in the south. We only use 1/2 cord to 2 cords of wood a winter for heat for the three stoves in the main house. Usually have 5-7 years of wood split and stacked amongst sheds in various states of drying.

Just considering various options/things I had not considered.

Ethanol- lots of corn correct? Unless you were talking about switchgrass and I missed it.

Corn= lots of nitrogen, at least down here in our soils. As an experiment one year I grew a small stand of corn via ONLY organic inputs. A 30x50 stand required ALL the manure we could scrounge from our rabbits, chickens and goats put on regularly to make that stand. We usually use commercial fertilizer if we grow corn down here. It is NOT deep Midwest soil that is super good. It's sand without a lot of OM.

So ethanol might be an option, but a highly strenuous one as I've grown corn here  and realize how much N input it takes to get a good stand.

Corn is popular because of the subsidies.

Sugar is good if your in a tropical climate....You can also basically convert any sort of sweet fruit,beets, potatoes, etc.

Ethanol and moonshine are effectively the same process. Anything you can make into liquor can be used for ethanol.

Theoretically anything you can boil the fermentable sugars from will work, but will have to have some supplements to the mix so the yeast do their thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You mean for biodiesel? I was thinking the something similar. Wouldn't biodiesel be a better energy source than wood for the long term?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Soybeans?

It's always an option, but I think OP has a lot of trees already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top