Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2016 10:15:20 PM EDT
Sportsman's guide has the Swedish military surplus axes for sale for $21.99 and free shipping if you use the promo code on their website SH1292.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swedish-military-surplus-axe-like-new?a=2080874

It's most likely a 3lb Hults Bruk head. I cannot vouch for the condition of the axe as they are used, but the head should be first rate. I ordered one. I'll let you all know what it looks like. These most likely won't last long.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
bought one of these months ago.  They are cool.  Haven't swung it yet though
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I am still to figure out the weight of the head. I am guessing it's boy's axe size but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My axe will be delivered Oct 5th or 6th! It should be interesting to see what "used, like new" means! Lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sportsman's guide has the Swedish military surplus axes for sale for $21.99 and free shipping if you use the promo code on their website SH1292.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swedish-military-surplus-axe-like-new?a=2080874

It's most likely a 3lb Hults Bruk head. I cannot vouch for the condition of the axe as they are used, but the head should be first rate. I ordered one. I'll let you all know what it looks like. These most likely won't last long.
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it arrives. However, for the price and given it is Swedish, it will have to better than the Chinese or Mexican made stuff you get at Lowes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Ordered one, thanks for the heads up.  Been wanting a decent axe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]

BRSH0916

This is a free shipping coupon without a minimum.  Just used it, worked for me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting one of these!

Ordered mine last night
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it arrives. However, for the price and given it is Swedish, it will have to better than the Chinese or Mexican made stuff you get at Lowes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The words "like new" better be somewhat accurate.....the quality of the head should be pretty good. I can't wait to see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am still to figure out the weight of the head. I am guessing it's boy's axe size but I'm not sure.
View Quote

I think I saw them described as "kitchen axes" - original use to split kindling for the wood fired cookstove.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I saw them described as "kitchen axes" - original use to split kindling for the wood fired cookstove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are smaller swedish military surplus axes. I would guess those are what you are talking about. Not sure though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered one as well
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
My axe arrived from Sportsmans Guide and I'm very pleased.

The axe is made by Hults Bruk and is labeled Hults Bruk AGDOR. The head is stamped "Made in Sweden" and has the HB stamp of Hults Bruk. The weight stamped on the other size of the head was 1.0kg or 2 1/4 lbs.

The length from the top of the axe head to the tip of the handle is 27 inches. The handle is hickory, is varnished, and has a decent straight grain.

Other than some light surface rust, the axe looks virtually new. Both the handle and head are in excellent shape. The back of the axe head is perfect as it appears no one thought to use it as a hammer.

I don't have a picture of mine but this is what the axe head looks like:

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The axe is made by Hults Bruk and is labeled Hults Bruk AGDOR. The head is stamped "Made in Sweden" and has the HB stamp of Hults Bruk. The weight stamped on the other size of the head was 1.0kg or 2 1/4 lbs.

The length from the top of the axe head to the tip of the handle is 27 inches. The handle is hickory, is varnished, and has a decent straight grain.

Other than some light surface rust, the axe looks virtually new. Both the handle and head are in excellent shape. The back of the axe head is perfect as it appears no one thought to use it as a hammer.

http://basilier.org/Tools2/IMG_0975.jpg
View Quote

Nice! Boy's axe! That is a top notch axe from a great company!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
It isn't far off from the Hults Bruk Kalix
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I ordered 4 and they arrived today. I am not pleased at all.  None look like yours.  Two have huge chips in the handle and the edge looks like it was used to drive nails.  They have a lot of rust and wear on them.
The other two look better but one has an American Swedish handle on it and the second  one's head does not look as well.  I would not say that these are in the description described.

After looking at them with a flashlight, we did find that three do have HB stamped on the head.  The one that has the Swedish handle has no marks on the head but does have HB on stamped in red.
I am very disappointed.

Updated:  cleaned the handle on the good one up a bit and it has Made in Sweden and HB on it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered 4 and they arrived today. I am not pleased at all.  None look like yours.  Two have huge chips in the handle and the edge looks like it was used to drive nails.  They have a lot of rust and wear on them.

The other two look better but one has an American handle on it and the second  one's head does not look as well.  I would not say that these are in the description described.

After looking at them with a flashlight, we did find that three do have HB stamped on the head.  The one that has the American handle has no marks

I am very dissapointed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other two look better but one has an American handle on it and the second  one's head does not look as well.  I would not say that these are in the description described.

After looking at them with a flashlight, we did find that three do have HB stamped on the head.  The one that has the American handle has no marks

I am very dissapointed.

Can you take pictures?

That does not sound "like new".
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Can you take pictures?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Can you take pictures?

Sure, I'll take pics but I have never been able to post them here.  Would someone be willing for me to email the pics to them and then post them?

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sure, I'll take pics but I have never been able to post them here.  Would someone be willing for me to email the pics to them and then post them?

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Can you take pictures?

Thanks

IM sent
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IM sent
View Quote
Just sent you 14 pics.  I have more if you want them.

Thank you sir!

Let me know if you think that I am over-reacting.  I like one of the four but it is not in like new shape.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you sir!

Let me know if you think that I am over-reacting.  I like one of the four but it is not in like new shape.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent

Thank you sir!

You might need to break it up into several emails.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
hurry up guys, I'm afraid I'm going to get home to find a crappy ax waiting!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent

Thank you sir!

Sent 2 emails with 7 in each. Did the pics not come through?

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll send them again but just send 3-4 pics at a time. AOL is terrible about sending pics
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Broke it up into 5 emails with 4 pics in each one.  Hope that works
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#26]
There is nothing like new about those....I'll post  once 8 get home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I was okay with the one that has the sheath on it  until I saw jpr9954's pic.  I am irritated all the way around now.

I hope they look better for you guys.

I am going to call SG and complain in a heavy way!

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was okay with the one that has the sheath on it  until I saw jpr9954's pic.  I am irritated all the way around now.

View Quote

I would!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would!
Just called SG and they just emailed me a Fed Ex label for replacement axes.  Hope the next batch look better.  I am uncertain if I am sending all four back or just the three that are terrible.

Their CS is top notch!!!  Just wish that their merchandise inspectors were not blind!

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]

From amos
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone else wonder how often that Sportmans Guide wears out the exclamation point key on their keyboards? Their product descriptions are a little over the top.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Like new my ass....
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#34]
This is what I got. No cover. I'm kind of annoyed. I could take a lot of weight off this 2 lb 11 oz head if I wanted to spend the time. This was supposed to be a nice 2 lb HB head. I would have thrown away the loose handle if I didn't like it.  

I have a return label so I'm going to gamble on a replacement. They seem to be selling 3 distinct axes.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks, Bat, for posting the pics.

I noticed that two of the axes heads move about 1/2 inch when I swing them.  Hope you fellows have a better experience than I did.

I am all for hiring the handicapped. But I wish that Sportsman's Guide would not have hired blind people as their merchandise inspectors.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks, Bat, for posting the pics.

I noticed that two of the axes heads move about 1/2 inch when I swing them.  Hope you fellows have a better experience than I did.

I am all for hiring the handicapped. But I wish that Sportsman's Guide would not have hired blind people as their merchandise inspectors.  
View Quote

I'm debating on just modifying mine to suite me. I could end up with much worse. Mine looks never used. It just looks like hammered dog shit.

I may just cut my losses and turn this turd into a sweet axe. It's too big for such a short handle.

The bit profile is actually pretty good. Just loose on the shitty handle and really heavy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Three of mine look like they have been used for hammers. They are already sitting in a box ready to be shipped back tomorrow.  The fourth is where I am struggling a bit.  It is well used but looks really nice sitting next to the other three.  I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Batman, I would be interested in taking that one off your hands if you want to sell it

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Batman, I would be interested in taking that one off your hands if you want to sell it  
View Quote

I think I'm going to keep it and modify it.

The bit has a good profile. It weighs 2 lb 14.6 oz. Way too heavy for my purposes.

It just needs to lose about 1 lb. Sometimes you just have to see the great axe hiding under the extra material.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Three of mine look like they have been used for hammers. They are already sitting in a box ready to be shipped back tomorrow.  The fourth is where I am struggling a bit.  It is well used but looks really nice sitting next to the other three.  I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it.
View Quote

I would enjoy walking you through fixing it up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, I appreciate that.  I am going to roll the dice and send them back in.  I don't think  that I could get any that are in worse condition.  If they are in the same condition, then I will take you up on that offer, if it still stands.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine did not arrive today.  Where is the dice roll animation?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I am pretty sure I'm just going to keep it and modify it to suit me. It's most likely a Kimo Bruk but I'm having a hard time finding info on that. I don't believe it's rare.  I might as well just make it into something I will use.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thank you, I appreciate that.  I am going to roll the dice and send them back in.  I don't think  that I could get any that are in worse condition.  If they are in the same condition, then I will take you up on that offer, if it still stands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask them if you can keep the good one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here is a picture taken with my iPhone of the actual axe received. The rust on the lower part of the axe blade makes it look like it is chipped. It isn't.

The Hults Bruk stamp is in the blue painted section just above "Made in Sweden".

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Here is a picture taken with my iPhone of the actual axe received. The rust on the lower part of the axe blade makes it look like it is chipped. It isn't.

The Hults Bruk stamp is in the blue painted section just above "Made in Sweden".

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/jpr9954/Hults%20Bruk%20AGDOR%20Axe_zpscdsxl2hr.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/jpr9954/Hults%20Bruk%20AGDOR%20Axe_zpscdsxl2hr.jpg

That's what I thought I was getting..... maybe a bit uglier. You hit the lotto.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Just got notification that mine was delivered.  Hope it's a nice one, I'll see when I get home...
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, mine is pretty rough, at least the head.  The handle is in very good shape but the back of the head has obviously been used as a hammer and the edge is badly chipped.  I can't see any marks on the head, but it's covered in a thick gray paint.  The whole thing including handle is 27.5 inches.  Think it's salvageable?  For the price I'm willing to put a little work into it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well, mine is pretty rough, at least the head.  The handle is in very good shape but the back of the head has obviously been used as a hammer and the edge is badly chipped.  I can't see any marks on the head, but it's covered in a thick gray paint.  The whole thing including handle is 27.5 inches.  Think it's salvageable?  For the price I'm willing to put a little work into it.

http://i.imgur.com/eNr8oQH.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/y6RXttZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FMfktk8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XYaG5V1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tbd8gSL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/peEfe7L.jpg
View Quote

That narrow head is an odd duck,  but that head is in pretty nice shape compared to most of the stuff I buy at the flea market. It will take some time filing but I think it will be fine. I would be pretty pleased with that one, even if it has a funny shape!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I decided to just clean up mine and see how it would turn out. I don't care for the weight, but it is an interesting shape.

I stripped it and then put it in the electrolisys vat for a few hours to get rid of the little bit of rust.

I used dark walnut stain. It won't get the first coat of BLO until tomorrow. I thought it would look great on the birch handle with the bare steel head.

The fit at the top is perfect except for a little damage on the back of the handle. I didn't quite fill in the back with the wedge, but it won't be an issue.

The fit on the bottom is perfect. Very snug.

The stamp is very deep and clean.

The bevels disappear in this light so you can't quite make out the profile.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top