Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 11:13:20 AM EDT
We sold our house...well, we are waiting for the closing, but we foolishly agreed to let the buyers move in early.  They requested it, stating that they wanted their small children to be used to the bus route and routine.  Whatever.  The people who are selling us our house are out...the house is vacant, but they would NOT allow us pre-possession.  So we are living in a borrowed camper in our friend's front yard,  most of our worldly belongings are in multiple storage locations.  This is very uncomfortable!  Thankfully we have our friends here to let us use their bathrooms,  but I hate not having much on hand.  Cramped living space, living out of a duffel bag, not having a proper kitchen, the list of luxuries that we take for granted go on.
This situation makes me realize how much I do not want to bug out if possible.  It makes me appreciate the things I have and what I work for.  We are moving further out, more rural, quieter road, more land.  It is my opinion that it is more benficial to prepare your homestead and invest that way instead of planning purchases around a "bug out plan".  Security, fire prevention, and having resources to thrive at home.

Just wanted to share my experience.  It will be almost a month before we are out of the camper.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice camper, and beats a motel or something.  And I know there can be situations where bugging out would be necessary, but I'd like to minimize the chances of this.

Update:  10/08

We closed on both the sale of our old home and the purchase of our new home yesterday.  Everything went smooth.  Arfcommer Highspeedforlife helped me move some heavy things Friday night, and he loaned me his kegerator for my man cave.  ( I totally expect to come home from work some night and find him getting drunk in my garage lol)
Had a couple more friends help move some more stuff this morning, and my family and I will no longer have to sleep in the camper.  Lots more to do this weekend.  Happy Columbus Day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, no way I would let a buyer move into my home before closing.
I read of horror stories about this, hope all works out for you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This.... What the hell were you thinking?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Please keep us posted...

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The bright side of this is that you probable won't make this mistake again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The bright side of this is that you probable won't make this mistake again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Your closing issues aside, this is why being prepared is a marathon and bugging in should hopefully be a sustainable location and your primary focus.  With that said, there are many that bugging is either not an option or only very short term.  I think of college kids; single, young worker in a city doing an internship or similar job-start, the young service member living in barracks or even the single service member living in an apartment, etc.  Not everyone may be in a position in life to "bug in"; however, none of us are immune to avoiding a bug out.  I think most, well established members here plan for bugging out, but put the majority of their efforts into staying put and riding out most contingencies.  We've seen flooding, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, etc. force people out of their homes...those become the worse-case scenarios that everyone must plan for, but I agree, bugging in provides you the best shelter, preparation, stores and security for 99% of the other scenarios.  

Hope things works out...moving sucks; buying and selling houses suck.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope all goes well.

You currently have many baskets.

I rent so it is something I think about.

I am still organizing and working on stuff from when I moved a few years ago.  Overtime at work has had me so worn out I just would procrastinate and play on the computer or play with the dogs or do anything other than fix my mess.

Have a solid plan as you bring each basket to the new home when you get there.  Organize it as you go.

I know the feeling of wanting to skip another month of storage rent, but right now I wish I had done things right the first time and taken the time to do it.

I am living that phrase about how there is always time to do it right, when you did it wrong and it failed and now you have to take the time to do it right.

Would have cost money then, but saved time now.  And in the big picture, time is money in many ways.  And not being able to find some things has cost money if I had to buy something I knew I had but could not find.

Use this as a way to take notes and see what you could live without, and what is a must have.

I was surprised that I don't really care a ton about grid power.  But decent water pressure is awesome.  A way to run things for a bit, generator, or having a battery bank to run little stuff is nice as heck.  But I really hate jugs of water and having to haul them empty to get them filled and haul em back.

Post what you learn and what your family learns.  

I don't know what your location means but for me I would be working on the outdoor kitchen and chairs and stuff, within reason cause of friend's yard and what not.

I can see me asking a friend if I could go park in a field far from the house and mowing it down with a mower so I could mostly not bother them with regular life stuff.

A real working bathroom, fullsize, is part of why I am not interested in a lot of campers and stuff.  Easier to just rig something up in the stepvan to fit my oversize self.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lived out of hotel rooms the majority of this year, granted it was just me and not my wife and 2yr old, but I know your feelz and they suck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
An anxious wife and two high school aged boys.

What kind of horror stories?  They have renter's insurance, are paying me rent on a per diem basis, and the contract is written so I stopped paying property taxes when they moved in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like we will be closing a week from tomorrow!

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What kind of horror stories?  They have renter's insurance, are paying me rent on a per diem basis, and the contract is written so I stopped paying property taxes when they moved in.
View Quote

Well, what happens when their funding falls through.  They are then squatters, but the local PD won't help you because its a civil matter.  Off to Court for an eviction.  Finally, after three months, and they are out, you can move back in.  Unfortunately, before they left, they stripped all the copper pipes and wiring out of the house and that herd of cats they had are still living there, ruining the carpet.  It should also only take a complete repaint of the interior and replacement of all the blinds to rid the house of the cigar smoke smell, because they were chain smoking from day one.

or

everything goes smooth...no big deal.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't wait to set up my reloading bench, and get all my guns and ammo back from the undisclosed location where they are stored.  

On a happy note, I picked up the butchered half cow I had ordered this summer...my freezer is full!  Time for some fall bbq before deer season!  Also, a coworker met me last night, stating that he heard I had a 10mm.  He pulls a bag out of his truck and handed me 200 rounds (10 boxes) of Hornady 180 grain xtp ammo.

Woot!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's called possession.  If they flake out there can be hell to pay in getting them out of YOUR house.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Why stay in a camper? Is Airbnb not in your area?

Accountant
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#16]
God willing....Your new digs will be outside of the shit-hole that is New York.

Best of luck 41ML
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Accountant, I had to look that one up...never heard of it.  Friends offered their fifth wheel, parked in another friend's yard.  Our closing didn't go as quick as we thought so we are here longer than we expected.

OLP, not yet, just further out away from urbania.  It's really nice.  Prime motivation was for the kids, but I ended up with more garage, more basement, more yard and some woods.  And a neighbor who loves to shoot, hunt and ride.  I met him yesterday.  He's got a shooting range set up that he has invited me to use.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Accountant, I had to look that one up...never heard of it.  Friends offered their fifth wheel, parked in another friend's yard.  Our closing didn't go as quick as we thought so we are here longer than we expected.

OLP, not yet, just further out away from urbania.  It's really nice.  Prime motivation was for the kids, but I ended up with more garage, more basement, more yard and some woods.  And a neighbor who loves to shoot, hunt and ride.  I met him yesterday.  He's got a shooting range set up that he has invited me to use.
View Quote

The farther north you go in NY the more its like a different world.  Same can be said from east to west just in the same state.  

I like having my own back woods range to  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you Magluva for sharing those insights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I love all the storage that this house has to offer.  There is a closet in the finished basement that is on an outside uninsulated wall, perfect for storing canned goods.  Pics to come, after I'm all moved in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love all the storage that this house has to offer.  There is a closet in the finished basement that is on an outside uninsulated wall, perfect for storing canned goods.  Pics to come, after I'm all moved in.
View Quote

Glad everything worked out!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the update and good to hear that your closing went smooth.  Don't let someone move in early next time ok?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top