Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2016 9:53:03 AM EDT
How would someone go about preparing against harmful radiation for themselves and family?

Preparing for smuggled nuclear bomb and or "dirty" bombs?
Geiger counters? What to buy and how to use it?   ------- REALLY interested in this.
Iodine tablets? Waste of money or useful?
How to tell if where I am will be harmed by fallout? From where?
Basic equipment to own? How effective?
What to carry in a car - if anything?
Good books, DVD's, blogs, youtube videos, websites on the subject?
Crossover gear that would also be helpful with a biological attack of some kind?

Your thoughts on the subject?

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

How would someone go about preparing against harmful radiation for themselves and family?

Preparing for smuggled nuclear bomb and or "dirty" bombs? Be out of big metro area targets. Dirty bombs have a small affected area.

Geiger counters? What to buy and how to use it?   ------- REALLY interested in this. Only useful if you are monitoring it.

Iodine tablets? Waste of money or useful? We have some, because just in case.

How to tell if where I am will be harmed by fallout? From where? Local authorities, watch the wind.

Basic equipment to own? How effective? BOV

What to carry in a car - if anything? Whatever is fast to get out of Dodge, which means minimal stuff.

Crossover gear that would also be helpful with a biological attack of some kind? NBC filters for your fallout shelter.

View Quote
See above in red.

Thoughts: Its one of those GTFO, and like NOW things. If you don't get out now, you need a PROPERLY constructed fallout shelter, and be ready to stay there pumping air for some weeks (I forget how long it is). I haven't looked at how long it is before the radiation settles, but its best to just leave anyway. The iodine tablets are good to have on hand IMHO, as they should be taken AS SOON as you confirm it was a radiation event, especially the kids getting it as they are more affected by radiation than adults. You are basically going to OD on iodine so that your thyroid is full and cannot accept the radioactive iodine. Yes, it sounds dumb but it does work that way. Your thyroid is basically an iodine sponge: it can only hold so much.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Without going crazy.
Distance yourself and watch the wind.
Good dust masks.
Soap and water.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
We have "no-rad" or "iosat", both potassium IODIDE in our vehicle ghb's and in our homes. Especially Hawaii, an IBCM is easily "reachable" by some countries. It does expire, so keep them up to date. We have NBC filters on our face masks, but no suits. Radiation can get in through the skin I believe.

WSS
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Preparing for smuggled nuclear bomb and or "dirty" bombs?
Geiger counters? What to buy and how to use it?   ------- REALLY interested in this.
Iodine tablets? Waste of money or useful?
How to tell if where I am will be harmed by fallout? From where?
Basic equipment to own? How effective?
What to carry in a car - if anything?
Crossover gear that would also be helpful with a biological attack of some kind?

View Quote

1. As mentioned, any nuclear (fission) or dispersal (dirty) bomb will have a low yield, with dirty bombs having a VERY small affected area, generally.  The likelihood of a fission device is extremely low, and the delivery method will result in a much smaller blast radius than if it were delivered by drop or missile.  If you're not in a heavily populated area, your likely exposure to the initial blast is probably zero.  There is no significant fallout risk from dirty bombs.  The risk is from fission, which creates large numbers of radioactive particles and casts them up in the sky to be carried away.  Additionally, a major incident at a nuclear power facility would pose a risk in the 50-mile radius around the facility.  Much of the large-scale off-site actions will revolve around protecting the food supply.  Crops, livestock, and water sources are extremely susceptible to radioactive contamination.  

Basically, radioactive particles are the big issue after the blast itself.  They are what cause your tissues to become irradiated.  Think about poop.  The stink is equivalent to radiation.  You can move away from it, and it won't affect you.  If you get it on you, you will continue to be affected by the stink until you get it off.   If you can move away from the contamination, you're good.  If you inhale or ingest radioactive contamination, many isotopes will be deposited in parts of your body where they will continue to irradiate you for months or years.  Some isotopes can be chelated from the body, but some, like Co-60, will end up in your bones.  That's bad juju.  

2. Geiger counters are far less useful than dosimeters.  Good, simple dosimeters are expensive, and you'd still need to know what to do with the information.  Money is probably better spent on other preps, unless you live within 50 miles of a nuclear facility.  

3. Iodine tablets are a cheap prep, and very useful for preventing I-131 uptake into the thyroid.  

4. Again, if you're in a major population center, it's possible.  Within the 50-mile exclusion zone around a nuclear reactor.  Other than that, not a major worry.  

5. Basic, cheap, disposable Tyvek suits with hoods, disposable overboots, nitrile gloves, and a cartridge respirator with NBC filters.  How to use them CORRECTLY is a much more difficult answer.  Proper doffing to prevent contamination takes practice, and it's a perishable skill.  For the most part, you can brush or wash contamination off if you can just keep it out of your mouth and nose.  The respirator and NBC filters are the most important part of the equation.

6. I guess that depends upon how big your car is.  Based upon the limited space and the even more limited chance of a nuclear/radiological incident, I wouldn't put it at the top of my list.  

7. Most of the good info is only available to public safety personnel.  It's not top secret or anything, so you may be able to find plenty of it on the interwebs.  Radiation isn't that scary once you understand what you're up against.

8. Aside from the iodine, it all works for the average joe.  You're not making a Level A entry or anything.  You just need to get the heck away from any of that.  

I'm a hazmat tech with a Type I team in a major metro area.  We cover the CDC, Yerkes Primate Center, interstates that carry shipments to nuclear facilities and waste sites, and more target hazards than I can shake a stick at.  I don't worry about nuclear/radiological attacks.  Nor biological attacks.  They're possible, but the much more likely scenario is a plain old bombing or mass shooting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have "no-rad" or "iosat", both potassium IODIDE in our vehicle ghb's and in our homes. Especially Hawaii, an IBCM is easily "reachable" by some countries. It does expire, so keep them up to date. We have NBC filters on our face masks, but no suits. Radiation can get in through the skin I believe.

WSS
View Quote

It can be trapped in the pores, but the main risk is inhalation or ingestion.  Each route may result in absorption into a different organ system, but generally, either is really bad juju.  Alpha sources that can't even penetrate your clothing with radiation can be fatal if ingested.  To avoid trapping in the pores, brush dry particulate off, then shower with lukewarm water.  If you use cold, you trap contamination that's already in the pores.  If you use hot, you open up the pores to catch contamination that may stay after the shower.  Lukewarm water.  

Broken skin that comes into contact with contamination can also be a source of internal contamination.  The risk is lower, and the absorption is much lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is that nuke website that you can run scenarios?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Time,Distance,Shielding

SCBA
Ludlum 14C
Or buy a dosimeter like a Canberra UltraRadiac

* just got back from a Nuc/Rad class at the National National Security Site formerly Nevada Test Site.

Fire away if you have questions
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Potassium Iodine only works for Iodine specific isotopes
Alpha= will not go though for skin,but is a huge inhalation hazard
Beta= thick clothing will stop it, it is an external hazard though
Gamma= will go through you, it is a whole body hazard
Neutron= Whole body hazard, concrete, dirt, plastic, and water shields it well
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Externally, none of them are massive hazards, given that you're not nearby.

They're all major hazards if they get IN you. That's why the food supply is so susceptible to attack. Ruining crops, milk, water, etc. is so much easier, because none of it is protected.

A Geiger counter could be useful for detecting contamination, but I can tell you that we have a team that specifically handles decon, and I don't know that they would be as proficient as you'd need to be. Rad decon is probably the hardest, longest decon you can perform, with the easiest chance of contaminating yourself. SCBA is absolutely the last thing I'd want if I knew it was rad only. Hard to decon, short work time on air.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Came here to post this.

Worth reading once cover to cover.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Read the FM's and whatever you can find, know the units of measure of radiation, get a working knowledge of dose and rate, etc.

An alarming dosimeter is preferred. It tells you how much you're absorbed and alarms when the rate is dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Time,Distance,Shielding

SCBA
Ludlum 14C
Or buy a dosimeter like a Canberra UltraRadiac

* just got back from a Nuc/Rad class at the National National Security Site formerly Nevada Test Site.

Fire away if you have questions
View Quote

Took the same course a year ago.  I'm working on a background rad monitoring plan for the county.  As a prepper, I strongly suggest you go volunteer for your local ema, cert team,  medical reserve Corp, or whatever they have in your county.  It gives you access to this kind of training, insight into how events are handled, you get to know local police, fire, sheriff.  You also generally will know of events happening before the general public.  My next course will be in New Mexico at the energetic materials lab (learn how to recognize bombs and bomb making materials). It's all free to you, thanks to you fine taxpayers.  Fed govt picks up the tab.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Life After Doomsday by Dr Bruce Clayton is my favorite book in my non-fiction survival preparedness stuff.

It's a little dated but it's funny how the possibility of nuclear terrorism and military use of nukes becomes more real a lot of it is relevant again.  It's about prepping in general (before it was called prepping as far as I know) but is geared heavily around nuclear war.

It's interesting reading and has a lot of practical information.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-After-Doomsday-Bruce-Clayton/dp/0873641752

Also, if you don't want to be running your Geiger-Muller counter all the time consider a NukAlert.

https://www.amazon.com/NukAlert%E2%84%A2-radiation-detector-keychain-attachable/dp/B004SZ2HXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474994715&sr=8-1&keywords=nuke+alert

You'll probably have a pretty good idea when it's time to bust out the GM counter though because the electricity will go out then there will be a series of huge flashes, shockwaves etc that might be really, really bad depending on where you are.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Nuke Map

Fun website that will let you wargame your scenario.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2. Geiger counters are far less useful than dosimeters.  Good, simple dosimeters are expensive, and you'd still need to know what to do with the information.  Money is probably better spent on other preps, unless you live within 50 miles of a nuclear facility.  
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.

A Geiger counter can identify areas of high radiation in real time, thus allowing you to change locations to find a safer area.

A dosimeter tells you how much radiation you have been exposed to in the past. It is useful in tracking occupational exposures.

If there is a nuclear emergency, I want to know how much radiation is in my area right now, not how much I was exposed to in the past week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

WSS
View Quote
Potassium Iodide expires?

How? It is as stable as table salt.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nuke Map

Fun website that will let you wargame your scenario.
View Quote

came to post this.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#22]

[iI respectfully disagree.

A Geiger counter can identify areas of high radiation in real time, thus allowing you to change locations to find a safer area.

A dosimeter tells you how much radiation you have been exposed to in the past. It is useful in tracking occupational exposures.

If there is a nuclear emergency, I want to know how much radiation is in my area right now, not how much I was exposed to in the past week
[/i]

I agree with this.  You want to know what is on your shoes when you come inside, if it is safe to go outside, etc.  Having some masks and suits, duct tape and a Geiger counter is not a bad idea.

A survey meter is designed to measure specific kinds of radiation.  You don want to buy a neutron meter to measure gamma radiation. Since you don't know what kind of radiation you are prepping for, a nuke, a dirty bomb, what?  A Geiger counter with the right probe will cover everything. Much better choice for all around use.

I would say this is secondary preps to your food water and other supplies.  That being said having some knowledge of nuclear  devices is a good idea.  

Again, I think a dosimeter is useless unless you, your family, friends and dog wear one 24/7 (now).  After the fact how are you going to read it? Maybe a crystal type but drop it and N/G. Most use web biased computers now days.  Film type, send it in? How is it useful to put on after the blast anyway?  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

If there is a nuclear emergency, I want to know how much radiation is in my area right now, not how much I was exposed to in the past week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

The "new" alarming dosimeters do both.

I'd recommend multiple layers of instrumentation either way.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Iodine is like a sheeple thing.  You should have some but it is like saying "in case of a flood, I have some rubber boots" Check that nuke thing off the list.....  

Ok boots are good to have. But if the water is over the house...useless.   It is just part of thinking about how you should prep for that kind of thing.

Just sayin' with my admitted  bad analogy that scoring some iodine tablets isn't good enough to think you got it covered.

For most people  probably not worth preparing for since the probabilities of occurrence are lower than most probable calamities......

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Ludlum 25, it's a bit pricey but I work at a cyclotron so it acts as a dosimeter and a survey meter with alsrms you can set. Anything Ludlum is high quality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Iodine is like a sheeple thing.  You should have some but it is like saying "in case of a flood, I have some rubber boots" Check that nuke thing off the list.....  

Ok boots are good to have. But if the water is over the house...useless.   It is just part of thinking about how you should prep for that kind of thing.

Just sayin' with my admitted  bad analogy that scoring some iodine tablets isn't good enough to think you got it covered.

For most people  probably not worth preparing for since the probabilities of occurrence are lower than most probable calamities......

View Quote

+1 Iodide tabs are not gonna save anyone once the Roentgens get up there a bit.  You can breathe it, eat it and carry it on your clothes/hair/skin/shoes....and yes, Iodine is very biologically active, but there are many other compunds in various types of nuclear discharge (gas, liquid, solid) besides Iodine. Measuring it will not help you do anything except identify contaminated gear, clothes and people....and that doesn't help unless you get away to somewhere where clean means something again.

I worked in the Nuclear industry for nearly 7 years and in the Defense industry a long time after that.

If you have to measure it, you need to get away from it.  If you measured it and it's high, not much you can do except? yep, get away from it.

Dirty bombs have a very small radius and unlikely short term health impact - but long term impact within the affected area are possible.

For a major strike, even something as one off as a NK or Iraqi one-shot(they would not exist after the first attempt), if you are in the target area, then get out or you're screwed...either blast/rad poisoning immediately or longer term effects but either one is not desirable.

I'd say monitor events, get out of a high risk area early, stay away from anything with the possibility of contamination.

For long term management, yes you could get a counter/radmeter to evaluate what needs scrubbed and what doesn't or maintain hygiene/gate control over contamination.  Is it the highest priority? Nope...here's why....if there is that much contamination in the area, even if it's travelling on people/cars, then the areas not really safe.It will really have limited usefulness and only in the follow-on to an event.  Also, if you need to survery the area as you move, you are going to massively increase your time enroute and time on target...plus you will lose tactical focus unless you have a total freebie resource to do all the monitoring.

Dosimeters might be nice if you're going to a contaminated area frequently but really what can you do?  If you are driven so hard that circumstances force you to enter contaminated areas, you're not going to be able to do anything to stop or prevent cancers and other health issues from occuring, which are the primary reasons to carry dosimeters.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WSS
View Quote

If you are over 40 Iodide doesn't matter. Your thyroid isn't going to absorb it, or something along those lines. I remember reading this while folding a tin foil hat many years ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly.  Canberra, Rad Eye, Ludlum and several other manufacturers' instruments are capable of performing real-time dosimetry with alarms.  We have a bunch of RadEye G-Ex's at work, and they're capable of providing both instant and cumulative readings.  Additionally, we have multiple Ludlum analog and digital Gieger meters, a Ludlum 26, and a FLIR identiFINDER R400 RIID.  

If I had to pick one, I would ideally find a meter that can do cps for contamination, dose rate, and cumulative dose readings.  I think Thermo Scientific makes a Rad Eye that does all of those, but I can't remember which one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly-

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Exactly-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly-

No.  We're not talking card dosimeters, or the old-school pens.  Even dosimetry pagers give real-time cumulative dose readings.  But if you're dropping the coin for something with a GM unit, you might as well get something that CAN do cumulative dose.  Again, there are personal rad meters with GM/Scintillator capability that can also do cumulative dose.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No.  We're not talking card dosimeters, or the old-school pens.  Even dosimetry pagers give real-time cumulative dose readings.  But if you're dropping the coin for something with a GM unit, you might as well get something that CAN do cumulative dose.  Again, there are personal rad meters with GM/Scintillator capability that can also do cumulative dose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly-

Do you mean to say instantaneous dose?

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly-

No.  Maybe "total dose" is a better term?  The total dose to which the individual has been exposed.  

Something like this: http://www.canberra.com/products/emergency_response/ultraradiac-plus.asp

provides instant and total dose readings.  There are also meters that can do CPM in addition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top