Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 5:35:44 PM EDT
I've got an 80hp John Deere tractor, w/ 2 12v batteries.  I want to mount a solar powered battery tender on the cab roof.  Does anybody have any experiences with these.
Currently I don't have a place to park it under shelter, or access to electricity without running 2 or 3 extension cords.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got an 80hp John Deere tractor, w/ 2 12v batteries.  I want to mount a solar powered battery tender on the cab roof.  Does anybody have any experiences with these.
Currently I don't have a place to park it under shelter, or access to electricity without running 2 or 3 extension cords.
Thanks
View Quote

Something like a 30w solar panel and a digital charge controller?  The controller should terminate charge when it detects the battery as full.  Now, wiring it up for two batteries seems doable to me, but more problematic.

Others will chime in, no doubt.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed this on my generator and I think its to small. Not sure what you need.
24 Volt solar panel
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any successful experience with these.  I was just looking at the battery tender brand solar units this morning.  The 5-15W just doesn't seem like a whole lot to keep a big truck battery topped off though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any successful experience with these.  I was just looking at the battery tender brand solar units this morning.  The 5-15W just doesn't seem like a whole lot to keep a big truck battery topped off though.
View Quote

Well, it's about .850Ah (15w,) so you need to figure out what 'rate' your batteries are discharging at, per day.  Then figure that in Arizona, you might get 4-5 solar hours, where you're pumping in that amount and do the math.

"The self discharge of batteries with Lead-Antimony plates can be high - as much as 1% per day on an older battery. A new AGM typically self-discharges at about 1-2% per month, while an old one may be as much as 2% per week."

https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

I think that for a newish AGM battery, 15w would be fine, given the Arizona solar hours I mention.  Living up in Canada, maybe not?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two of these on a pontoon boat - charging up trolling motor batteries... They have several different models 12v and 24v.... cheap to EXPENSIVE.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping to find a turn key solution, I don't want to be cobbling together a system.  Just need it capable of charging 2- 12v batteries in parallel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was hoping to find a turn key solution, I don't want to be cobbling together a system.  Just need it capable of charging 2- 12v batteries in parallel.
View Quote

Get the DelTran battery tender jobbie, then.

Good quality company with a long track record.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Having 2 x 12V batteries in parallel wiring is like having one larger 12V battery.  Charging wise, there is nothing special to it.  The Battery Tender brand mentioned above offers a 5W (0.4amps), 10W (0.9amps) and 15W (1.25amps).  Depending on the draw, pick the appropriate size to keep the batteries charged.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]

I use these on my dump trailer thats left on my property with no electrical service at the moment...I have 2 12v batteries in it and it keeps them both charged up perfect.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/700x700/496/49683_700x700.jpg
I use these on my dump trailer thats left on my property with no electrical service at the moment...I have 2 12v batteries in it and it keeps them both charged up perfect.
View Quote

I put one on my dad's tractor.  Used to always have issues with the battery being dead when we needed to use it, no more problems and easy to connect/disconnect.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the large Battery Tender solar panel. It is on the roof of my hangar and has been keeping my airplane battery topped up for years. The only problem I had was when they knocked it off the roof while removing snow. Works perfectly and your battery will last for years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, I wasn't to sure about the battery tender brand, their label looks gimmicky, like one of those as seen on TV products. Good to know that they work well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks, I wasn't to sure about the battery tender brand, their label looks gimmicky, like one of those as seen on TV products. Good to know that they work well.
View Quote

Just the opposite.  If you can use one solar charger for both batteries, read up on the jumper cables you'll need to tie them together.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Both batteries positive post are connected to starter, so it should charge both batteries
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/700x700/496/49683_700x700.jpg
View Quote

Same, use it for my boat that sits for 6 or 8 months at a time.  I have a 2 and a half gallon zip bag over the panel and it works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top