Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2016 9:39:48 PM EDT
Apparently they're allowed to have 2 emergency rations as items they choose. Somebody in the GD thread mentioned up to 10lbs worth of food between the 2. So if you were in a similar scenario, what would your 10lbs of food look like?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
10 lbs of Mountain House goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Peanut butter
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Apparently they're allowed to have 2 emergency rations as items they choose. Somebody in the GD thread mentioned up to 10lbs worth of food between the 2. So if you were in a similar scenario, what would your 10lbs of food look like?
View Quote

Half of this?

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Half of this?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/u412/Pharr%20Coc-25%2040%20lbs%20%2001282015%20courtesy%20CBP%20Hidalgo%20(2).jpg

Bolivian marching powder?

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half of this?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/u412/Pharr%20Coc-25%2040%20lbs%20%2001282015%20courtesy%20CBP%20Hidalgo%20(2).jpg

OR

7lb rice and 3lb beans.

(Complex Carbohydrate)
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
~8500 calories in 7 lbs rice and 3 lbs black beans.

~10,000 calories for 10 lbs of mountain house.  I'd probably have to go with 10 lbs mountain house.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
118 Twinkies, if my math is right

16000 calories - WIN
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

118 Twinkies, if my math is right

16000 calories - WIN
View Quote
Yeah, but you would loose because of the diabetic shock and diarrhea .

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
10 pounds of olive oil.  Handy fire starter and at 250 calories an oz that's 40k calories.  Just gotta catch some stuff to put it on
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
10 pounds of olive oil.  Handy fire starter and at 250 calories an oz that's 40k calories.  Just gotta catch some stuff to put it on
View Quote

Avocado oil is even more calorie dense with more nutrients and going keto adapted it could last you a long time.
I can go all day on 500 calories of fat but I have been keto for years.

ETA 10lbs of raw Cacao butter has 42,000 calories and is a great treat if you are adapted.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Peanut butter
View Quote

Old post but PB is my pick too.
10 lbs of peanut butter is 27000 calories. It has a bit of all nutrients- fat, protein, and carbs- even a little fiber
PB makes a good bait for a lot of animals. I keep a 3lb jar of JIF in my go bag.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

10 lbs of peanut butter is 27000 calories. It has a bit of all nutrients- fat, protein, and carbs- even a little fiber
PB makes a good bait for a lot of animals. I keep a 3lb jar of JIF in my go bag.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peanut butter

While delicious PB has lots of negatives and dangers that I wouldn't risk my life or $500k on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Dried meat,dry fish and seal oil.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
10 pounds of pemmican and some caffeinated mints.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While delicious PB has lots of negatives and dangers that I wouldn't risk my life or $500k on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peanut butter

Pick the nut butter of your choice, but 10 lbs of peanut butter ain't gonna kill you unless you're allergic to it. It's not even gonna make your junk fall off.

Having said that, If I knew in advance that I was going to do this challenge, I would get keto adapted beforehand, put on as much weight as I could on a low carb regimen, and get the 10 lbs of pure fat.   But I don't live low carb, and don't want to go through carb flu out there. So if I was thrust into a survival situation right now peanut butter is about the most densly packed readily available source of calories I would want. (admittedly I haven't checked pemmican)

ETA: cost aside, looks like pemmincan may be a better choice:

http://www.vitacost.com/bear-valley-pemmican-concentrated-food-bar-fruit-n-nut?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-076380010151&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=076380010151&csrc=GPF-PA&mtp=soPzBrBeS-dc|pcrid|97670541013|product|076380010151&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNsXZ67mzHbB_Jdzxg0Ex_Bs0I8c_uvt075wNmCzuOoAsaAiYG8P8HAQ
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
10 lbs premium dog food. Meat, fruits and veggies condensed in to bitesized calorie packed survival bits.

4 cups = 1lb

40cups @ 490cal/cup

Almost 20k calories of balanced nutrition.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Pick the nut butter of your choice, but 10 lbs of peanut butter ain't gonna kill you unless you're allergic to it. It's not even gonna make your junk fall off.

Peanuts are legumes with soft outer shell which make them very susceptible to toxins like aflatoxins and they do contain contain anti-nutrient lectins and are heavy in Omega-6s.
Go for a tree nut if your life is on the line.

I would look at almond butter for a safer choice.
I am still curious as to how I would do on a cacao butter diet. 10lbs of raw Cacao butter has 42,000 calories.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Having said that, If I knew in advance that I was going to do this challenge, I would get keto adapted beforehand, put on as much weight as I could on a low carb regimen, and get the 10 lbs of pure fat.   But I don't live low carb, and don't want to go through carb flu out there. So if I was thrust into a survival situation right now peanut butter is about the most densly packed readily available source of calories I would want. (admittedly I haven't checked pemmican)

http://www.vitacost.com/bear-valley-pemmican-concentrated-food-bar-fruit-n-nut?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-076380010151&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=076380010151&csrc=GPF-PA&mtp=soPzBrBeS-dc|pcrid|97670541013|product|076380010151&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNsXZ67mzHbB_Jdzxg0Ex_Bs0I8c_uvt075wNmCzuOoAsaAiYG8P8HAQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Peanut butter

That is modern "pemmican" made by hippies. Pemmican is NOT meatless.

Real pemmican is dried and shredded meat, beef / bacon fat, shredded cranberries and some salt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
10 lbs premium dog food. Meat, fruits and veggies condensed in to bitesized calorie packed survival bits.

4 cups = 1lb
40cups @ 490cal/cup

Almost 20k calories of balanced nutrition.
View Quote

Would go for a combination of Mt.House and rice.

This Woman Asks The Dumbest Question EVER To A Man Buying Dog Food. His Reply Is Perfect

I have two dogs and I was buying a large bag of Purina at Costco and standing in line at the check out.

A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting the Purina Diet again although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.  

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff a poodle's ass and a car hit me.

I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff a poodle's ass and a car hit me.
View Quote

I about spewed coffee all over my laptop

Most of the 2-2.5 serving freeze dried entrees have about 400-600 calories per meal and they weight around 5-6 ounces.  I typically prefer Alpineaire as they have less sodium than Mt. House.

Ten pounds worth would provide about 26, 2-serving entrees (on average, about 14K calories in total).  These don’t have a ton of calories, but do offer a good balance of nutrition.  I still think you would need to augment with fish and small game, but that would keep you rolling for at least a couple weeks depending on how much activity and calories you’re burning throughout the day.  Dehydrated food would be the best value if constrained by weight.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Peanut butter
View Quote

Brillant! I could live a longtime on PB alone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Ten pounds of peanut butter might be hard to eat. I'm thinking 10 pounds of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
10 pounds of stripped MREs, so you never shit again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Real pemmican is dried and shredded meat, beef / bacon fat, shredded cranberries and some salt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peanut butter

real REAL pemmican is dried and pounded meat, KIDNEY fat, dried chokecherries
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Hard to say..since our returning resident expert says the show is scripted........

I would powder all of the foods.

Beans..rice..lentil..powdered.

Mix in protein shake mix

Add powdered peanut butter.

Do say 1.5-2is serving mixed as a shake or thick pudding.

Prolly not calorie dense though. The mixes run 120-150 calls on a small 1 oz scoop.

Say two scoops a day(2 oz) would put you at roughly 60oz consumed at 30 days.

Thatd put you around 5-600 cal estimated and still have 100 oz or 50 more two oz servings to consume.

So even doing three servings per day would get you over 1k cal a day. But you'd probably not shit right. Lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ten pounds of peanut butter might be hard to eat. I'm thinking 10 pounds of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
View Quote

I like the way this guy thinks. Reece's Peanut Butter Cups for the win.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#27]
On the show, they had very specific things to choose from.

Pemmican or Rice or Beans and maybe a couple other choices.

We figured up the calorie count and I was surprised to see the fat laden pemmican was the clear winner. Not even close.

Now, there may be something to be said for the belly fillers (rice or beans) because they will make a lot more volume when the water is added.

But they will also make you continue to be hungry and crave carbs rather than forcing your body to switch to a ketosis metabolism.

I think the smart money is on the pemmican.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Pemmican, hard tack and bullion cubes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On the show, they had very specific things to choose from.

Pemmican or Rice or Beans and maybe a couple other choices.

We figured up the calorie count and I was surprised to see the fat laden pemmican was the clear winner. Not even close.

Now, there may be something to be said for the belly fillers (rice or beans) because they will make a lot more volume when the water is added.

But they will also make you continue to be hungry and crave carbs rather than forcing your body to switch to a ketosis metabolism.

I think the smart money is on the pemmican.
View Quote

Oh I didnt know that. I thought they could just bring 5 lbs of food for an emergency ration and were allowed up to 2 rations.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This & spam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top