Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 4:46:17 AM EDT
Freebie for those with Amazon Prime:

The Blackout

I didn't expect much when I dropped this on my watch list (Prime movies generally bring to mind those big bins of $5 DVD's at Walmart...), but this one wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  Actually seemed to give a pretty fair representation of what the first few days following an unexplained national blackout would be like.  It's nothing I'd pack up the family and head off the the theater to see, but if you have Prime, this one's worth a peek.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
National Geographic had a show about a terrorist attack on the power grid, it was pretty real IMO. Will have to look into Blackout
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
National Geographic had a show about a terrorist attack on the power grid, it was pretty real IMO. Will have to look into Blackout
View Quote

And .gov came in and saved the day at the end.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I remember that one.  Looks like it's available on YouTube:

American Blackout
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just watched The Blackout, and re-watching American Blackout.  The former was better than the latter, IMHO.

Both are full of typical stereotypes.  I hate that the prepper is always shown as overly dramatic (by and large, most preppers I know do are able to do it successfully because they are methodical and not prone to melodrama) and own many guns, but make poor decisions on choice and/or aren't particularly skilled.

That said, both are - at the very least - useful in pointing out some of the likely realities in a SHTF (power outage, at least) situation.  And they are consumable by the general public.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Yeah I give it a thumbs up. The prepper was overly dramatic for sure, but I thought most of the other characters were good.  Lot of nice outdoor scenes.  Production was very well done for an unknown movie.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
For the real-life perspective, watched this one (another Prime offering) last night:

American Experience: Blackout

Documentary on the '77 blackout in the northeast.  Didn't take long for all hell to break loose.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to re-watch it, I don't recall the government saving the day, just the power came back. Agree they made the prepper look wonky, but he was the most prepared, showing the libtard giving away opsec was interesting.

Will have to check out the other videos.

We have a genny, and we also have outdoor dusk to dawn and motion lights. We ended up putting switches on all of them to not give away power at night. Though we would kill the genny at night anyway. We got to test our lights out/blackout last winter when we lost power fir 5 days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the real-life perspective, watched this one (another Prime offering) last night:

Documentary on the '77 blackout in the northeast.  Didn't take long for all hell to break loose.
View Quote

Sad that things haven't changed much if at all since then. I would say it has even gotten worse. In todays society, the looting would happen the first night.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Blackout

I didn't expect much when I dropped this on my watch list (Prime movies generally bring to mind those big bins of $5 DVD's at Walmart...), but this one wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  Actually seemed to give a pretty fair representation of what the first few days following an unexplained national blackout would be like.  It's nothing I'd pack up the family and head off the the theater to see, but if you have Prime, this one's worth a peek.
View Quote

Thanks. That was entertaining. Well done for a low budget movie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh so basically the whole of the modern US (and rest of the world, to be fair)?
Entitled?
Criminally inclined?
Spoiled?
Irresponsible for their own actions?

Funny how some of the retards justified it and how everyone relied on the government...oh and blamed the ones that WORKED for their money!

Makes me sick.

Thanks for posting it though. It was very enlightening!

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Blackout

It was done very well and mentioned the horde of city folks fleeing the cities.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]

I enjoyed that one but I'm a big Shue fan too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

American Blackout
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Blackout

I started that one but got bored and turned it off.   It seemed like just a bunch of disjointed film clips.

Did they tie everything together eventually?

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, will watch.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just finished watching it. It was ok. The part that stuck with me most though was the choice of weapons that the survivalist guy used to defend his house. A double barrel bird gun and a pump shotgun? Is that the best they could come up with? I guess in the NY, MA area where the film took place this might be the only option.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I started that one but got bored and turned it off.   It seemed like just a bunch of disjointed film clips.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

American Blackout

Not really, but they all have a conclusion at the end.

It is the same event, but different situations. They bounce around a bit, but each one (as in each group of people's experiences) could have been made into its own mini-movie.

Its a good movie, IMHO. The biggest thing missing is there is never a single weapon discharge, which is un-realistic (although firearms are used to threaten many times)
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I just watched it.

It was .... Meh...

A lot of derp, some Ok stuff, some pretty retarded points.

Overall, just OK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I just picked and started reading One Year After, the sequel to One Second After. Great books about the ultimate blackout. Good reads and I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I just started it a little bit ago. The survivalist guy started up his generator in a room on the side of the house. Made me cring.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#22]
This movie reminded me of how screwed you would be if you were facing a group of attackers alone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Watched it. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I suffered through this last night. I'd give it a C-.
Production actually wasn't that bad and there were some nice shots, but plot and lines were cheesy as hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top