Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2016 6:57:44 PM EDT
Topic removed by the OP.  Thanks for the ideas. Ill rethink the recruitment process.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Marksman, i have some questions.

Can you give us a ballpark figure of how many family members and acreage you're talking about?

What about access to the property? Would we be looking at full time access, more like a timeshare, or by invitation only?  

Who owns and maintains the property? Is it fractional ownership amongst the various families or is there a single owner? Personally, I know I would be much more inclined to improve a piece of real estate if I knew I couldn't be "voted off the island" unilaterally by the landowner. It sounds like you guys do things democratically, but in the end the person that owns the place is calling the shots.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious about your "list of minimum supplies".  Can you share it with us?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marksman, i have some questions.

Can you give us a ballpark figure of how many family members and acreage you're talking about?

What about access to the property? Would we be looking at full time access, more like a timeshare, or by invitation only?  

Who owns and maintains the property? Is it fractional ownership amongst the various families or is there a single owner? Personally, I know I would be much more inclined to improve a piece of real estate if I knew I couldn't be "voted off the island" unilaterally by the landowner. It sounds like you guys do things democratically, but in the end the person that owns the place is calling the shots.
View Quote

This or be voted off just like you got voted on . How big a list are we talking ? I have a small family .
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Close.

In the end, the guy willing to use the most force the quickest (especially in SHTF) owns the place.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Close.

In the end, the guy willing to use the most force the quickest (especially in SHTF) owns the place.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close.

Rat, you reminded me of another question.

Who's paying the property taxes on this place?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if there is a satisfactory way to set up such a property.  

Some type of company set up with each partner having so many shares?  Which would still leave the possibility that the majority could vote someone out.

Dividing the land into lots?  Based on what?  Money put in initially? Or each family buys a section?

I'm curious how the OP manages this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Well since op has said newbies gotta plant a trailer or RV. I'm assuming it's just raw land.
Maybe one dedicated structure or the owners house (the "group ") being located on a separate plot elsewhere on the land. This ensures that 1- you get voted out..you hook up and leave...2- no permanent structures not owned by the owner 3- keeps each member self contained.

But what infrastructure is in place for this post apocalyptic trailer park ?

Water/well...food plots ..sanitation...protection (hardened fighting areas )...

Gear list.

Should be nothing but food and basic fighting gear. Compatibility in firearms/ammo .

Extras as nbc...added later but with in x amount of time

Sounds very hunt club like imho.

Always love the if your medical or military please apply with in...... lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the constructive criticism guys.  I have decided to take some of your advice and recruitment another way.  Keep preparing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, gotta say that since your group is currently a 'close-knit group of friends', and now you are advertising HERE kind of blows that out of the water. If I were in that group, a simple bio to decide who else to let in would not sit well with me. I would want to KNOW these people. You came out to declare what "qualifications" you are looking for. Its easy for anybody to say they were Seal Team 6, and trained combat medic and has now retired to off-grid farming. How do you plan to solve that?

Unless you are looking for a business type arrangements of mutual benefits. A 'we provide land, you provide services we don't have, we both get along' type thing. But in that case, you are almost hiring out, and you loose your 'close-knit group of friends'.

What I am saying is that you should think carefully before advertising for such a thing, because you are highly likely to loose the group of friends aspect that can make these things actually possibly work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
You answered nothing related to who owns it. How many acres ? 10 or 1,000 is a huge difference . Who pays taxes . These are the basics before I park anything I own anywhere a tax lien or the landowner could change and leave me hanging . I am sure ever poster in this thread has the same thoughts . I am familiar with upstate and have family there .
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, gotta say that since your group is currently a 'close-knit group of friends', and now you are advertising HERE kind of blows that out of the water. If I were in that group, a simple bio to decide who else to let in would not sit well with me. I would want to KNOW these people. You came out to declare what "qualifications" you are looking for. Its easy for anybody to say they were Seal Team 6, and trained combat medic and has now retired to off-grid farming. How do you plan to solve that?

Unless you are looking for a business type arrangements of mutual benefits. A 'we provide land, you provide services we don't have, we both get along' type thing. But in that case, you are almost hiring out, and you loose your 'close-knit group of friends'.

What I am saying is that you should think carefully before advertising for such a thing, because you are highly likely to loose the group of friends aspect that can make these things actually possibly work.
View Quote

Maybe, but it seems this is not a bad place to look for what the OP wants.  How do people become close knit friends?  You have to meet them somewhere before you can have a good relationship.  The SF here has some great folks so not a bad place for the OP to start looking.  He will of course need to do "due diligence" and screening, but he mentions this also in the first post.  

Unless you have the ultimate "close knit" group of friends, you will need to seek outside help to fill needed skill slots.  This comes at a price and does compromise security.  

Also sounds like this is just not a group of "survivalists" but folks that spend other time together like camp outs.  This would allow spending more time together than just "prepping" time.

OP, I think what most folks are getting at in the above replies is what would keep the owner from kicking everyone (or someone who is not an original group member) out and taking their stuff, or them losing an investment in time and effort?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe, but it seems this is not a bad place to look for what the OP wants.  How do people become close knit friends?  You have to meet them somewhere before you can have a good relationship.  The SF here has some great folks so not a bad place for the OP to start looking.  He will of course need to do "due diligence" and screening, but he mentions this also in the first post.  

Unless you have the ultimate "close knit" group of friends, you will need to seek outside help to fill needed skill slots.  This comes at a price and does compromise security.  

Also sounds like this is just not a group of "survivalists" but folks that spend other time together like camp outs.  This would allow spending more time together than just "prepping" time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real groups do a few things. One is activities besides "prepping " /training.  This allows the group to bond past the individual team members. Builds bonds..trust etc. All of which takes time.
While I agree the SF here is a good bowl to dip from..not everyone will fit the Ops bill. I've meet hundreds...all great guys. But I can count on my hands the ones I know will have my back. Those bonds have taken years.
Bad apples show up from time to time is the name of the game.

I'm not bashing the Op but posting "want ads " is a opsec issue. But he's tipped toed pretty good so far.
And he's 100% correct on his 1 hour (40-60 Mile)  distance..I praise him for that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've often thought about a simplified version of this plan. I like the idea of a close knit group of families helping each other, but I don't want your Airstream parked in my horse pasture either. Also, I don't know anyone locally that's into that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Real groups do a few things. One is activities besides "prepping " /training.  This allows the group to bond past the individual team members. Builds bonds..trust etc. All of which takes time.

While I agree the SF here is a good bowl to dip from..not everyone will fit the Ops bill. I've meet hundreds...all great guys. But I can count on my hands the ones I know will have my back. Those bonds have taken years.

I'm not bashing the Op but posting "want ads " is a opsec issue. But he's tipped toed pretty good so far.

And he's 100% correct on his 1 hour (40-60 Mile)  distance..I praise him for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One would think it would be better to form the friendship first, then spring the whole "Say, here is an invitation to join our doomsday group. We have land, etc., etc., etc., and we would like you to be a part of it".

Could start off with "looking for folks around northern SC that want to off-grid camp, hike, and so on" and see how it goes on a case by case basis. If you don't trust the person/family, then it was fun, I'll call you some time to do it again. If you DO like them, then actually call again!

ETA: But I may be cynical. The more people I meet, the further I crawl down the hermit hole.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Rat I agree. However.  Btdt got the shirt and tattoo.
Now like you its friendship 1st..build the bond go from there. I have close friends though that came from the "group " setting..but even then. The close bond took years and doing shit together. From camping ..to digging ..to training on the range to even dinners with families.
I'lil be honest...people are shitbirds ...and the trust process takes time. I don't trust random folks or ones that come off as the Ops post. Its just me.nothing personal towards him. Just screams " pick me.. .pick me "

If I'm recruiting for a group it'll be in the way of a camp out...hike...range day...maybe by the second or third campout I may close in on one or two prospects.  Then go over that Intel with the group...then that person becomes a "friend " per say ..the Guy that always hikes with us..or he's the Guy that you say to
" hey Bob...me and a few others are going to the ranch to do some patrol work like we talked about around the campfire ...think you may wanna get in on that....Peter from the hikes will be there ...."
Etc etc

And down the rabbit hole we go.....red pill or blue pill lmao.

"Wanted non multicam wearing survivalist ..must have own m16a1 ..and 1911...tiger stripe or woodland camo...ALICE gear is a plus..must be able to recite a minimum of two scenes from the following. "Red dawn " .... "

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now like you its friendship 1st..build the bond go from there. I have close friends though that came from the "group " setting..but even then. The close bond took years and doing shit together. From camping ..to digging ..to training on the range to even dinners with families.
I'lil be honest...people are shitbirds ...and the trust process takes time. I don't trust random folks or ones that come off as the Ops post. Its just me.nothing personal towards him. Just screams " pick me.. .pick me "

If I'm recruiting for a group it'll be in the way of a camp out...hike...range day...maybe by the second or third campout I may close in on one or two prospects.  Then go over that Intel with the group...then that person becomes a "friend " per say ..the Guy that always hikes with us..or he's the Guy that you say to
" hey Bob...me and a few others are going to the ranch to do some patrol work like we talked about around the campfire ...think you may wanna get in on that....Peter from the hikes will be there ...."
Etc etc

"Wanted non multicam wearing survivalist ..must have own m16a1 ..and 1911...tiger stripe or woodland camo...ALICE gear is a plus..must be able to recite a minimum of two scenes from the following. "Red dawn " .... "

View Quote

You say that like it is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I would think you would welcome people from anywhere. Further the better!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Etc etc

View Quote

Darn. I like multicam. How do you feel about kryptek?

While I haven't been in a group such as this, I did have a small circle of friends where we would camp and shoot on my land a couple times per year.  The largest hurdle these type of groups face is spouses. A lot of women just don't like each other.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I just don't see this working for two reasons, at least for me personally..... one how could either side really trust each other?  I could say I want to join your group, but already have a group of trusted friends.  In essence become a "spy" for my group and find out what you have etc.  True it's not likely but you just never know, or I could do all the required things and then something happens and I get to the BOL only to be shot on sight

Two it's almost guaranteed there will be conflict between a person from this site and the group..... most people on this site already have strong opinions on gear, likely scenarios, how things should be done, which more than likely wont mesh with the current mindset of the group.  The current group might not believe so but I'm sure there is an "alpha" that dictates what's required.  Throw in someone from here that has already shaped their minds on prepping and what not and yeah....... I'd say you're better off trying to convert a friend that doesn't prep into prepping than trying to convert a prepper into a friend
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just don't see this working for two reasons, at least for me personally..... one how could either side really trust each other?  I could say I want to join your group, but already have a group of trusted friends.  In essence become a "spy" for my group and find out what you have etc.  True it's not likely but you just never know, or I could do all the required things and then something happens and I get to the BOL only to be shot on sight

Two it's almost guaranteed there will be conflict between a person from this site and the group..... most people on this site already have strong opinions on gear, likely scenarios, how things should be done, which more than likely wont mesh with the current mindset of the group.  The current group might not believe so but I'm sure there is an "alpha" that dictates what's required.  Throw in someone from here that has already shaped their minds on prepping and what not and yeah....... I'd say you're better off trying to convert a friend that doesn't prep into prepping than trying to convert a prepper into a friend
View Quote

I was going to stay out of this, but there is a nice bit of wisdom here.
I'd work with people you already know and bring them into the fold.
As always, IMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to stay out of this, but there is a nice bit of wisdom here.
I'd work with people you already know and bring them into the fold.
As always, IMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

A well adjusted person no matter their skill/opinion level will look at what's offered objectively and with an open mine in order for it to he beneficial. And not in the sense of let's see this guy's set up to raid it.

Being from this forum doesn't have Jack to do with it.

The concerns about showing up to be turned away is legit....but the owners/members need to know that's a double edged sword. Those going into it would be best to address that concern and feel out the owner etc.

Personally. My RV/trailer etc wouldn't be planted till I knew I could trust them. Again that's me.

Great the owners can trust me but can I them.

Your bosses trust you to work 8-5 ...do you trust  them to not show up one day and fire the while free due to budget out of the blue ?

The realistic concerns are ones the Op shouldn't discuss here except for generalities...owner...acreage size...group goals (more emp planning ...vs zombies etc ).
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Double tap
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top