Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2016 5:57:12 AM EDT
I've been using buckets with sealable lids from amazon for long term (25 year+) storage of rice, beans, and pasta.

I picked up a couple buckets from Walmart with lids for under 4 bucks each. The lids just snap on and have no seal in them.

Are these acceptable as long as the food is sealed in mylar with o2 absorbers already?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Gaskets help but not required. The bucket does nothing but protect the Mylar bag.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. Gaskets help but not required. The bucket does nothing but protect the Mylar bag.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Side note: I have seen some of the sealable lids fail. I have went to all mylar bags with o2 absorbers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been using buckets with sealable lids from amazon for long term (25 year+) storage of rice, beans, and pasta.

I picked up a couple buckets from Walmart with lids for under 4 bucks each. The lids just snap on and have no seal in them.

Are these acceptable as long as the food is sealed in mylar with o2 absorbers already?
View Quote

Given that you already have the sealed mylar bag, you dont need the gasket although its nice to have it as sealed as possible. It can still last decades if not centuries (no, not kidding).
You do want a tought bucket and strong fitting lid though. Vermin like rats will go through the mylar bag as if its not there. Hell, rats can even eat through the plastic bucket. I just replaced the exterior fiber optic line of my house, eaten by a rat and that stuff is lined with kevlar.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Side note: I have seen some of the sealable lids fail. I have went to all mylar bags with o2 absorbers.
View Quote

Again...the bucket is a vessel to hold the Mylar and O2 combo
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct which is why I was l pointing it out I read his post as he didn't use mylar with the sealable lids.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
interesting
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just to add here, I don't use Mylar anymore.  I use Mason jars.  Same idea, less hassle and a better usable size.
View Quote
Heresy!!

Do you just shelf everything in mason jars, or do you use other system(s)? We use mylar for LTS stuff down in the root cellar, as they fit nicely into 12x12 boxes that stack to the ceiling nicely with no shelving needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I use my vacumn sealer with a canning lid attachment to vacumn seal my canning jars.  Check on amazon or anywhere similar and they make an attachment for big jar openings and little jar openings.

I use my electric vacumn bag sealer with a port.

But me being me I also ordered a hand operated brake vacumn pump for bleeding car brakes.  I can seal jars with it as well.  And since it is pumping air out I am not that concerned about food grade this or that with the brake bleeder.

As a single guy, the mason jars work better for me if I am rotating or playing with this part of what I am storing.  

I do have some 5 gallon mylar bags with stuff in them.  And while not the best use of space I put em in a 55 gallon metal drum where the whole lid comes off.

As a kid my parents had problems with squirrels chewing into plastic buckets of bird seed.  We put the bird seed in a plastic garbage can and while it was pretty sturdy the squirrels chewed through the lid again.  I had told mom we needed a galvanized garbage can but they cost more.  Next go round, galvanized garbage can it was.  Worked fine as long as the lid was tied down.

Buckets are easy to move and a nice size but I hate plastic.  The drums go places I won't be bothering with them for long long long periods of time.  Not gonna check em and not gonna rotate em.

But metal can rust of course.

Nice thing about canning jars and the vacumn sealer is if you are careful removing the lid you can reuse it again and again and again.

I do miss old lids compared to new lids.  New lids don't have as thick a coating of the rubber sealant on the lid as the old ones have.

I admit I have not tried vacumn sealing a tattler lid setup.  Might try that next go round.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I admit I have not tried vacumn sealing a tattler lid setup.  Might try that next go round.
View Quote
I was just going to ask about that, if the tattlers would work. If you do try it, let us know how it works!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top