Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you get that far off the most well marked trail in the country?
View Quote

It is known a the "most well marked trail in the country"; but that does not mean it is always well marked. Each state has their own trail maintenance club. Depending on their level of commitment to the trail, the frequency of the "white blaze" can vary widely. During my hike last year, I got off trail many times. It's quite easy to do!

Accountant
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Bottom line.

She was woefully if not willfully ignorant of the potential worst case.

Shedding safety gear to drop weight, refusing to learn basic land nav skills and complacency.

I am not ruling out a psychotic event. I cant believe she was that arrogant to be on her own with her stated physical and emotional liabilities.

Its never just a walk un the woods, when youre in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
This is very sad. Also I don't understand that if she knew she was north of the trail why didn't she head south? And at some point why didn't she realize it was time to try to self rescue? This vexes me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is very sad. Also I don't understand that if she knew she was north of the trail why didn't she head south? And at some point why didn't she realize it was time to try to self rescue? This vexes me.
View Quote

Many people do not survive survival situations because they simply just give up.

They just stop trying to survive.

That is what it sounds like to me.

She just gave up and stopped trying unless she ate something poisonous.  That is always a possibility.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
i don't want to sound like a butthole.... but she really was not prepared if she sat around for 26 days before dying, and she was not crippled etc.

the eastern us might have a few areas of rugged woods, but theres USUALLY a highway, road, trail, logging rd or river within 5-10 miles of you even in really remote areas. if she had a compass, and just shot a straight line, she would have likely ended up on a highway, etc within a couple days max IMHO.  out west they have truly enormous areas where you very well could be screwed even walking in a straight line.

using a cell phone as a gps is a very, very bad idea IMHO... as they are hard to recharge and can go dead pretty quickly. nothing takes the place of a actual map and compass.... a dedicated gps is 1000x better than using a cell phone, a you can just pop in fresh batteries.

when your lost... you need to make a decision on whats best.. sometimes sitting put is best.. if they are LIKELY to find you. but sitting in a massive forest area, where no one really has a clue where you might be within 20 miles, and where being spotted from the air is unlikely....  well, sitting there waiting on someone is a bad idea. sometimes your better off waiting... sometimes your better off walking out.

i was right... heres the map of where she was found... if she would have just walked 2-5 miles in ANY direction, she would have hit either a lake or a road.  if she went south, east, or west she would have hit a trail or road within a mile max... north was the only bad direction. i believe she had a map as well, and knew the trail was south of her.  the fact she sat there for 26 days before dying is just nuts. IMHO she was likely TERRIFIED of getting lost, so just sat there hoping to be found, before she got lost worse... which actually killed her.

as i said, SOMETIMES its best to sit and wait.. and SOMETIMES it best to walk. if i didn't get found in a week and food was running low, id be thinking about trying a different tactic myself.

i will say though... that in REALLY thick woods, its hard as hell to maintain a straight direction of travel, and you can easily end up going in circles.  that's why a compass is mandatory, anytime your planning to go out in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Since you bring it up, an outdoor skill almost "Lost" (good choice of words for this thread) today is "Dead Reckoning".   Its simply paying attention to landmarks or what we call "Landmark Navigation" without a compass.  Desert is really bad in that the landmarks may be none to be had or if they are at a long distance.  The only real beacon you have is the sun and its time dependent  The absolute worse is "Jungle".  Jungle you have no landmarks except trees and there can be no sun.  

Tj
View Quote

TJ- I have a pretty minor semantic quibble, but agree with the substance of what you said.  

I think where I've highlighted in red above that you are discussing "terrain association", as using terrain features to navigate as you describe fits that definition.  At least in military parlance, dead reckoning is using just a compass and pace count to navigate across the terrain or flight path with a pre-planned route.  Of course, the advanced student is using both to get where he/she is supposed to go. One is a check for the other, but terrain association is of limited use at night and in bad weather, and dead reckoning needs compensation for terrain drift or winds at altitude.

Your comments in this thread and others make me want to get my kids out more.  They have been rolling their eyes lately when I pull out the map and compass on a hike.

E46
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is known a the "most well marked trail in the country"; but that does not mean it is always well marked. Each state has their own trail maintenance club. Depending on their level of commitment to the trail, the frequency of the "white blaze" can vary widely. During my hike last year, I got off trail many times. It's quite easy to do!

Accountant
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

I have hiked many, many sections of the AT in multiple states.
Granted never in Maine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't have to be off it very far to lose sight in some places. If it's an overcast day and you don't have a compass, you can get lost pretty easily.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don't have to be off it very far to lose sight in some places. If it's an overcast day and you don't have a compass, you can get lost pretty easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not to mention, people get all starry eyed and walk around gaping at the pretty scenery, and NOT paying much attention to where they are going, and how to return. then suddenly wake up and discover they have no clue how to get back. you walk around the woods very much not paying attention, and it can be damn hard to find a trail again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top