Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
9mm highpoint one in every car and airplane 2 mags each ,bring on the hate , i also have a naa pug in my pocket at all times .
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm highpoint one in every car and airplane 2 mags each ,bring on the hate , i also have a naa pug in my pocket at all times .
View Quote

Hey, any gun is better than no gun, and you're not out much if it's stolen.
As long as it works.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Id like to know what works best for different people.
1) If you do so, what gun do you keep in your car trunk?
2)What is the logic behind choosing that specific gun and how much ammo do you keep for it?
3)Do you carry another weapon as your CCW?
Thanks
FerFAL
View Quote

1) AR15 16" carbine
2) I have another AR15 for home defense, and I have the most training and experience on that rifle (I'd be okay with an AK as well). I keep 3 extra magazines in the truck, plus a magazine in the gun.
3) Yes, I have my CCW on me at all times.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1) AR15 16" carbine
2) I have another AR15 for home defense, and I have the most training and experience on that rifle (I'd be okay with an AK as well). I keep 3 extra magazines in the truck, plus a magazine in the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2)What is the logic behind choosing that specific gun and how much ammo do you keep for it?
Thanks
FerFAL

1) AR15 16" carbine

Can you keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle in MS?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
FerFAL

1) AR15 16" carbine

Yes, sir. I don't see anything in the law that specifies between loaded and unloaded. If it is hunting season and you have a barney fife game warden, he may try to accuse you of hunting from your vehicle / the road and you may have to defend against that.

ETA: The rifle is out of sight and would require a search of my vehicle, when I am hunting, my hunting rifle is in plain view and unloaded. So I really don't see this ever being an issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
SWD M11/9 SMG and 7 mags
My thought is that if I have to abandon my car, I want something I can part a crowd with.
Just step over the dead and wounded. The rest should scatter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I CCW and don't keep any guns in my car.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
CCW is a G23. I keep at G22 in a holster attached to the inside of a locked center console with several mags. Before driving I pull the G22 out and place it in another holster attached to the outside console down by my right knee. Under the back seat in a locked container is a 20 GA pump shotgun and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a EZ mount scope.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever is on my hip
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Haha! Get out of my head (no pun intended)!

It's double sided with some internal modifications so it's my gun bag and GHB.

Picked it up for a few bucks at Goodwill.

Gun side, 6 30 round magazines and a crowd pleaser 75 round drum (I've got the mags out currently). The pouches are riveted to the bag:

The GHB side of things. An IFAK, 3 MREs, smoke grenade, glow sticks, Mylar blanket, plastic poncho, waterproof Pelican box with Wetfire tinder and fuel tabs, magnesium fire starter, lighter fluid, lighter, Surefire ear pro, compass, and extra pair of glasses. Not pictured is the LifeStraw Go that sits in the water bottle pocket outside of the bag:

The AK pistol, a Yugo M92 with a few add-ons . My CCW permit covers it:

Also have some riot oriented gear to include an ACH with face shield, IIIA soft armor vest, low profile chest rig for the magazines, and shin protectors. Those are in a plastic tote.

All of it is pretty inconspicuous in my work van mixed in with the boxes of parts, parts that most people have no use for so the van isn't a good robbery target.

I spend huge chunks of my day in the van typically driving a couple hundred miles every day, sometimes in sketchy areas, so I try to keep it well prepped.

On me I keep an AMT Backup in .45 with 2 reloads.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
-snip-
Haha! Get out of my head (no pun intended)!
-snip-
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I typically have my CZ Rami (my usual CCW) in the center console while I drive. I also have the Super Redhawk .454 in a contractors binder tucked into the seat back pocket.

The Rami has 24 carry rounds (one 10rnd mag and one 14) and an extra double mag pouch with 14 rounders in it that stays in the console.

The Ruger has two boxes of 20 in the binder plus the loaded cylinder.

I live in a very rural area and have actually put down a moose that was in a car crash at 2am on my way home from work, that's the kind of thing I keep it in the car for. We are prohibited from having long arms in our cars at the hospital I work at, but state law specifically allows handguns in workplace cars. The Ruger suffices as a rifle substitute.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Beater 16" AR.  I have it locked up in tuffy box (bolted to the seats and floor), I also carry 8 30 round mags in the box in a cheap mag carrier I picked up on Botac.  This is not my normal load.  Take out suppressors, .22 pistol, and extra pmags and that's it.  Depending on where I'm going, I sometimes add a G22 with 2 extra mags.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#15]
m70ab2
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

m70ab2
View Quote

Same.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Cars don't need to be armed,  and car theft is probably the leading cause of stolen guns. Which further gives the antigun political machine all the stats to further chip away at gu. Ownership.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer. Cars don't need to be armed,  and car theft is probably the leading cause of stolen guns. Which further gives the antigun political machine all the stats to further chip away at gu. Ownership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I watched some guy try to steal my truck, all I could think about was the double barrel camping shotgun inside, and that this POS may now have a shotgun to commit more crimes with, because of me. But it didn't come to that, I stopped him from completing his task. But yes, truck guns are dumb guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to carry a VZ2008 I picked up for $359 with 5 mags. Sold that years ago and now roll with a Colt LE6520 PD trade in I picked up for the price of a PSA PTAC build. It's a solid AR with some external rack wear on the carry handle, awesome purple anodizing, and almost no internal wear. Three mags of TBBC ride in an ALICE mag pouch with one more in the rifle. In town a G43 is always on the hip. In the desert it's an AR and G20.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
CCW - Glock 26 or Glock 29, 30

Norinco SKS on trips
or
870 Wingmaster Police
or
Winchester 94 in 30-30

Any combination of the above when traveling in state.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti 2nd Amendment politicians don't need excuses to violate OUR RIGHTS.  It's in their DNA.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock 19 today. E-tool is backup.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is going to have a different situation and to judge them all the same is simply ignorant.  I cannot CCW at work, however I’m on a very secure installation and have no issues leaving my two firearms in my truck.  My biggest threat assessments are traveling to and from work.  Still, I don’t leave firearms in my vehicle overnight when away from home and I don’t frequent areas with high crime.  When off duty, I carry on my person wherever I can legally.  What’s dumb about truck guns is that there are dumb rules that don’t let people keep their CCW on them and forced into the dilemma of having a firearm close by or not at all.  Of course the ignorant answer is just to avoid going where guns are prohibited, but life, jobs and careers are realities we have to contend with.    

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't CCW at work but my car is just a few steps outside and there are always co-workers going in and out of the building.
I carry a G26 with one extra clip, they ride in a GHB that sits in the seat next to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No prob with the Highpoint but you'l go to hell for the NAA Pug!
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
ETA: Page 4 owner.

AK-74, if I carry a rifle, along with 3 mags. A single 45-rounder and 2 30-rounders are the standard loadout. 105 rounds is more than sufficient with the 45-rounder being the first one in the gun. However, this is only for trips of >1 hour away from home. Less than that and it's just a handgun which I'll detail below. Having a problem with a biker road captain at a remote rest stop convinced me that a carbine and sufficient ammo is a requirement for remote roadway stretches.

The areas of Texas I travel along, as well as my farm, requires a carbine/rifle to reach out to the necessary defensive ranges I encounter. Your requirements may be different but are always dependent upon your AO. For example, my farm is 300 yards in width and 500 yards in depth. For strictly farm use, a 10mm Glock and an M-4 or AK-74 is the minimum rifle I'll take along, and oftentimes the M1A or M1 Garand end up getting the nod for defensive farm use/general fun shooting into berms on the farm. Also, I get a lot of use out of a simple 12 gauge pump action shotgun. That firearm is actually more useful all around than just about any other firearm I own. The G20 in 10mm is typically carried OWB when at the farm and carrying hardcast 180 or 200 gr rounds from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. No need to hide things when you're on your own property. All this said, I've never had to shoot anything on the farm other than targets. This includes snakes that slithered past and wild hogs that sauntered by but didn't stay, all of which simply weren't a threat.

Yes, a Kahr Arms PM-9 as I like the small and lightweight aspect of it and 124gr 9mm is sufficient for killing coyotes and hogs if they are too close and threatening. I used to carry a Glock 23 or a Kimber Tactical Pro II but the PM9 gets the nod now for CCW. 2 mags are always carried with any pistol being carried regardless of caliber.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks
FerFAL
View Quote

1. Keep a 20" AR-15 A1 rear sight with round A2 plastic HG (old Oly Arms rifle circa 1992). It's in a TUFFY lock box/safe under the rear seats in my F-150. Looks like part of the truck interior and has two locks and is bolted into the cab body.

2. It's reliable, accurate (if I can see it I can hit it) and the 20" muzzle velocity really makes M-193 ball ammo zip along. Makes Level III armor plates seem like cardboard. It has a green USGI sling and I've been using it for so many years it's like a nice worn in hat that fits just right...
Keep two 30rd Colt USGI mags full of M193 ball and a Colt 20rd mag of M196 tracers just because. I also keep a slick plate carrier with Level III plates that can hold the spare mags and a surefire 6p white light. Also keep a M7 bayonet because the rifle can take the bayonet and it's a decent knife in its own merit.

3. I daily carry concealed either a Glock 26 or 19. Also have a LCP for a BUG or gym shorts only carry. I keep 2 spare Glock 17 mags in the door wells of the truck on driver and passenger side as well as a spare mag on me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1. Keep a 20" AR-15 A1 rear sight with round A2 plastic HG (old Oly Arms rifle circa 1992). It's in a TUFFY lock box/safe under the rear seats in my F-150. Looks like part of the truck interior and has two locks and is bolted into the cab body.

2. It's reliable, accurate (if I can see it I can hit it) and the 20" muzzle velocity really makes M-193 ball ammo zip along. Makes Level III armor plates seem like cardboard. It has a green USGI sling and I've been using it for so many years it's like a nice worn in hat that fits just right...
Keep two 30rd Colt USGI mags full of M193 ball and a Colt 20rd mag of M196 tracers just because. I also keep a slick plate carrier with Level III plates that can hold the spare mags and a surefire 6p white light. Also keep a M7 bayonet because the rifle can take the bayonet and it's a decent knife in its own merit.

3. I daily carry concealed either a Glock 26 or 19. Also have a LCP for a BUG or gym shorts only carry. I keep 2 spare Glock 17 mags in the door wells of the truck on driver and passenger side as well as a spare mag on me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
FerFAL

I like your style.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#29]
For normal day to day driving I just CCW because I don't have a trunk or someplace secure to keep one.  The thought of how easy it is to break into a car and as a result arming a thief would really bother me.  If I'm going on vacation or some kind of road trip I'll usually also bring my P226 and an AR Pistol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't keep a gun in my truck, or my jeep, or my wife's car. I just don't have enough guns for that. But I do keep a supply mags for my ccw and rifle in each vehicle. For the jeep and car they're in a bag somewhere in the back of the vehicle. In my truck I just used some old cheap molle pouches mounted behind the seat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#31]
For the last 7 years I lived in town and just carried my CCW on my body. I didn't have a way to secure a carbine in the truck and didn't want to shuffle one in and out all the time for all the neighbors and passers by to see so I just went with my Glock 19 when I left home. Last year my wife and I built a house on the farm I grew up on and the truck gun concept has came back into my head.
 When I was growing up there was always a rifle in the farm truck. Usually a Marlin bolt action 22mag that Dad would use on predators like Opossum, Raccoons and Fox. At that time there were no Coyotes and very very few Bear. Now we have lots of coyotes and many more bear. Dad was also never into ARs until I grew up and got one but he would carry a 45 or 357 on the farm if he thought he needed it.

Now on to my thoughts in the early stages of planning a truck gun. My brother moved back to the farm a few years ahead of me and started out with a SBRed and Suppressed 300blk sporting a red dot and flash light for his truck gun, he soon decided he wanted a little more magnification to reach out across the fields and went to a standard M4 with an acog but has mentioned replacing the acog with a 1-6 to gain a bit of versatility. Also with him traveling across state lines often the SBR was a hassle.

So I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. A 16" 5.56 with a Troy pdw and 1-6 scope. The rest would be standard MIL spec stuff. The second would a be a 300 blk pistol with the new sb/Maxim defense brace with a similar type optic. I will continue to carry a Glock 19 or 43 on my body.

The new brace I mentioned
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SBT-Adjustable-Brace-Release-Image-450x450.jpg

One more option I considered that would be a bit more money is having two guns, a pistol with the brace above and a red dot and a ruger ranch rifle in 308 caliber but there are some pros and construction to go with this as well.

I also want to get this to store it in
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I highly agree that when rural having a truck gun is awfully nice if you use the truck for chores on the property, or even just cruising the property.  See a problem, fix a problem.

Mostly I highly recomend a firearm have a dang secure method of storage.  This lovely economy seems to be making vehicle breakins all the more common.

I also have a soft top jeep, so that comes into play as well.

One thing to do is ask your insurance people about theft depending on what exactly you are keeping in the vehicle and how your would do with replacing that loss if it were taken.

An add on rider for firearms is usually needed for people on this site, stock insurance does not cover much in the way or firearms.  And covering firearms won't cover that expensive acog or other glass you put on the firearm, at least not in all cases.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Seems like nowadays I work so much that most of my traveling is back and forth to work.  My duty equipment includes a M&P 45 and 2 extra mags on my belt.  My vest has 2a soft armor in it, 2 more pistol mags, Pmag for the racked M&P carbine with another Pmag in the gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I highly agree that when rural having a truck gun is awfully nice if you use the truck for chores on the property, or even just cruising the property.  See a problem, fix a problem.

Mostly I highly recomend a firearm have a dang secure method of storage.  This lovely economy seems to be making vehicle breakins all the more common.

I also have a soft top jeep, so that comes into play as well.

One thing to do is ask your insurance people about theft depending on what exactly you are keeping in the vehicle and how your would do with replacing that loss if it were taken.

An add on rider for firearms is usually needed for people on this site, stock insurance does not cover much in the way or firearms.  And covering firearms won't cover that expensive acog or other glass you put on the firearm, at least not in all cases.

View Quote

They sell good under the seat safes for jeeps. I usually always had my pistol on me, but for times when it has to be left in the car (i.e. going to the kids school) it's nice to have something more secure than plastic center console.  1
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They sell good under the seat safes for jeeps. I usually always had my pistol on me, but for times when it has to be left in the car (i.e. going to the kids school) it's nice to have something more secure than plastic center console.  1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

It is almost cheating to ask about storage for a jeep.  I have an underseat lockbox and they make all sorts of replacements for center console or reinforcing the glove box as well.

That covers handguns.

To some extent I was sort of thinking about long guns.  Depending on how rural you are and if the problem you are fixing is a problem ground hog or something, even a 22lr or something else small but in rifle form would be perfect.  But especially in the jeep everything needs to be out of site cause of how easy it is to get in the jeep.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Car carry isn't legal here unless you're "on your way to or from a bonafide gun range". Hell, even CCW is pretty much illegal here we have to take people to court to get them to approve permits. I hate this state.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
My CCW is a Kahr P-9, it is small, accurate and easy to conceal under the lightweight clothes typical of living in the desert.

I keep a Glock G-22 converted to .357 SIG in the truck as well with a kydex CCW rig and 3 high cap mags for it.

Also in the truck is a rifle, currently my DSA OSW FAL .308 SBR with 80 rounds of ammo.  That will soon change as I am having a heavy locking rifle rack constructed ( by the same guy that puts them in our patrol vehicles at work ) and that rack will be tailored to accommodate an M4.  

Mags, IFAK, camelback and other basics are in a 5.11 CCW vest, and get home gear, MountainHouse and such are in a small backpack as well

FWIW,
The MULE
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Glock 27.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Glock 19 with an extra mag in my bag. The bag never stays in the car overnight or unattended.

Had this same pistol stolen from my in las vegas. Took 5 years to get it back.

I'd love to have an M-4 with full combat load in every vehicle, but I can't afford to lose any of my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Cheap parts build 16 in. AR behind the seat with 5 mags and a Smith M&P .45 with 3 mags in a locking console up front.  The AR gets used here on the farm quite a bit to rehabilitate coyotes.

If I'm not at work I always have the Colt Defender I CC on me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I do not keep any firearm in my vehicle full time. If I am headed out of town I do carry either a Daniel Defense or BCM carbine and 6 mags of Mk 262 in the trunk.

In my vehicle full time are a case of water bottles, some storage type food, a trauma kit, flashlight, and 2x17 round Glock 9MM mags loaded with HST's tucked in the dash.

My CCW are either a Glock 19 or 26 dependent on dress, and both will accept the 17 round mags as backups.
I also EDC a small ruck with an additional trauma kit and three more 17 round mags. Whichever of my two CCW guns is not on my body is also in the bag, giving some redundancy there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
My "Car Gun" is whatever gun I'm wearing at the time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top